RWBY "White" Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Kopikatsu:

Question: At any point, did you believe that White would lose? If not, then what does it matter? There's no threat either way.

I'd still say there were different degrees of tension between the red and white videos. At the very least Weiss looked like she was having some difficulty, even it you knew she wasn't going to lose. Ruby looked like she had just about as much difficulty as someone would have walking across a room. There was no point where the wolves appeared to be any sort of threat to her, contrary to the knight in the white trailer

If it wasn't clear from that I preferred the White trailer. The only fault I saw was the knight looked poorly designed. He didn't need to be detailed, but he looked very strangely proportioned

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I absolutely loved the music in both of these trailers

Hmmm, having a hard time getting excited about this. Monty Ohm's a force of nature when it comes to animation, sure, but at the end of the day most of his stuff just comes across as smashing stylized action figures together and while this time he actually created the action figures, otherwise it doesn't look like it will be much different. The concert thing was vaguely interesting but I still don't see any reason to care. Too much to expect from a trailer, I suppose. Moreover, this sort of art style (and it's fondness for young schoolgirls in skirts doing cartwheels with exotic weapons) just isn't my favorite. I don't watch much anime and I already feel like I've seen this all before.

Also, having watched the Red vs Blue stuff, I'm starting get deja vu from the movements, especially that of the Knight (hulking armored figure and all that).

Unlike most people I haven't really heard of Monty Ohm and I don't watch RedvsBlue but I do listen to their podcasts. I do watch animes from time to time but not a big fan. I'll give this show a chance but to be honest I don't expect very much. Monty said he wants to focus on the characters and story etc. so then why showcase some of the most stereotypical anime fighting ever? Oversized weapons/enemies? Check. Magical weapons? Check. Over the top/unrealistic jumping all over the place fighting style? Check. Schoolgirls in short skirts? Check. If he really wants to focus on the character/story/plot/relationships whatever he needs to show some of that in a trailer.

Gunner_Guardian:
I also liked this trailer better since it seemed to be based around defeating one strong enemy instead of wolf cannon folder.

However it didn't clear up the one thing I was concerned about. Mount Oum (I'm pretty sure this is mostly his project) is known for his ability to animate some of the best fight scenes, I don't think anyone doubts that. However I don't know how well other aspects will hold up like..... plot...

Maybe the next trailer will clear that up. In the meantime I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

Yeah, huge concern for me as well.

I can't help but feel that he was partially responsible for the wangst fest that was Carolina in season ten, as it has a very anime feel to it.

Or maybe that was Burnies fault who knows and Monty is a god damn writing genius.

OT: It was pretty good, anime tends to turn me off though, we'll see if Monty can sell me on the genre.

Not interested. I've gone off Rooster Teeth in general since Season 10 of RvB, and Monty Oum is largely responsible for the series' decline.

I liked it a lot. This definitely looks like something I will watch for, and pray that it turns into a game, because the action slash genre could use it these days (Since only Metal Gear Rising is holding the fort until Bayonetta 2 drops).

That looked positively awful...

I miss the days of Excel Saga, Gasaraki and Lain, when anime tried to do something original and interesting every now and then.

Iwata:
That looked positively awful...

I miss the days of Excel Saga, Gasaraki and Lain, when anime tried to do something original and interesting every now and then.

I won't go that far, but I'm not hooked by these trailers. I don't see much in them that is unique or interesting, beyond the art style that grabs my attention. (Speaking of the art, I'm not a fan of - but that's a very minor quibble. I was not a fan of the machimina style that RvB uses when I first saw it, but the humour and the characters hooked me on the series, so I grew to enjoy the art style.) All I'm seeing in it is Magic Sword Princesses Fighting Bad Men, which is a genre of Anime that doesn't interest me now that I have the internet and can google hen... raising hens in an urban setting. *cough* Not that I think MSPFBM is bad; I've liked some animes and live action movies that were all about that. (Kill Bill 1&2, and the much maligned Sucker Punch are three movies I'm a fan of, and one of my deep, dark secrets is that in my youth I actually wrote Sailor Moon FanFic. NOT Sailor Moon SlashFic, and I never actually showed it to anyone, but I still wrote it. And I might still have a copy somewhere, eep.) I just need something more than cute girls in short skirts to get my attention.

Because it is from Roosterteeth, I'll give it a full season before I make a full judgement on this series. I hope it has something to offer beyond a unique art style, though - so far, I'm not seeing it.

Glasgow:

Desert Punk:

Glasgow:
I don't like spectacle fighting, period. It's not fun to watch when there's no tension.

Very few things have tension, you know who is going to win no matter what anyway.

I wouldn't say it like that. If a movie doesn't have any tension then I don't see much of a reason to watch except for seeing a documentary about events I already know of. Even if you're watching a WW2 plot movie with Soviet troops you know the Germans will loose at the end, but you don't know which characters will survive and what experiences they will go through. Even if you're watching a romance flick, there's always tension as to whether or not the two main lovers will come together and how (or if) they could resolve their quarrel.

Bread and Circuses.

Bread and circuses, eh? Thank you for making me aware of this phrase. I did not recall having heard it before so I looked it up. Very interesting.

OP: I have not seen the Red trailer people have been mentioning on this thread but from I have seen in this trailer I do not think this will be my cup of tea. It just seems sort of generic overall.

I don't really like the animation style. Same problem I had with the Red trailer. That, and nothing about the series seems to strike me as exceptionally original. It feels like a pet project.

Don't think I'll be watching this one.

Edit: As a side note, I'm a fucking huge fan of RvB and loved their CGI fight scenes when they started doing them. What I'd love to see is an all-CGI RvB action series. This, just...well, the animation is eerie and off-putting, and the fight scenes aren't good enough to distract me from that.

I have a feeling this character shall be my favorite. Monty, Matt, and Kerry all seem to be doing a spiffy job.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
Kinda meh.

The first trailer with the werewolves was way more interesting.

I guess I just can't get behind a combat scene where the hero is wearing something so utterly impractical.

I'll buy the color changing sword, the giant armor suit, the awesomely impossible moves, but really? THAT'S what you're wearing into battle?

Watch the trailer again. She's clearly attacked during the concert (or, at least to me, the battle is the song playing out in her mind, or something). It's not like she'd have time to change outfits (or, if it's all in her head, it's not like she'd necessarily imagine any other outfit than the one she's wearing).

Robert Hilliker:

On a side not did anyone notice at the beginning of her performance Weiss already had the scar?

Very nice touch. Not sure what it means, but a very nice touch.

Jellly:
Unlike most people I haven't really heard of Monty Ohm and I don't watch RedvsBlue but I do listen to their podcasts. I do watch animes from time to time but not a big fan. I'll give this show a chance but to be honest I don't expect very much. Monty said he wants to focus on the characters and story etc. so then why showcase some of the most stereotypical anime fighting ever? Oversized weapons/enemies? Check. Magical weapons? Check. Over the top/unrealistic jumping all over the place fighting style? Check. Schoolgirls in short skirts? Check. If he really wants to focus on the character/story/plot/relationships whatever he needs to show some of that in a trailer.

Saviordd1:
[quote="Gunner_Guardian" post="18.401064.16507813"]However it didn't clear up the one thing I was concerned about. Mount Oum (I'm pretty sure this is mostly his project) is known for his ability to animate some of the best fight scenes, I don't think anyone doubts that. However I don't know how well other aspects will hold up like..... plot...

Maybe the next trailer will clear that up. In the meantime I'm looking forward to how this turns out.

I don't think that's very necessary. It's just trailers introducing the main characters (and showing how much they kick ass). Since we already know that the actual show will be focusing on plot and character development...what's the issue with two-minute badass introductions for each of them?

I prefer the way he's doing it now: Each character gets their own thing, no outright story attached, showing a taste of what they're capable of. Perhaps he'll make a "tying it all together" trailer at the end, but to only show the story/plot/etc stuff in some of the character trailers would be a bit unfair and wouldn't make a good impact.

Edit: However, I think that the first two trailers COULD be showing a bit of the plot or their backgrounds, satisfying what you both appear to be asking for. We won't know until the show actually comes out, though.

Soviet Heavy:

Dygen Entreri:

Desert Punk:

The weapon she has is a pretty standard length rapier. I would call a rapier an "Oversized weapon." about as much as I would call a potato gun and anti-tank cannon.

You beat me to it! That guy really need to lighten up judging by his later comments.

You can stop talking about me now like I don't have eyes to read this thread.

And you can lighten up, as I said before. You made a mistake with your review of the trailer. Imagine if Yatzee had done a ZP on Gears of War and said that it was a FPS without a cover system? That's pretty similar to what you did.

How's that ban working out for you?

Have to say I really enjoy the trailers so far. Looking forward to the series proper but until then the combination of badass weapons and interesting fights will tide me over. Serious Gunscythe? How has no one ever thought of that before?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked