An Open Letter to Off-Topic

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:
I think it was the one guy. You know, the one with the hair, he had some facial features as well.
Kind of a joyless monkey bagger I say.
And on a completely related note, your avatar makes me smile :D

Ah, that one guy. I know him, what with his teeth and his skin and even his eyes, you know? Of course also his body type and maybe his shoes, more importantly, his toe-nails as well.

And thank you very much for that.
In return I must say that I do very much admire your Username, such simplicity, and yet, so much entertainment value given.

Watch out around those toe nails. Word around the forums is he has some nasty cotton candy fungus down there. The blue kind.
Thanks for that! I contracted the best scientists in the world to come up with that name. Know how w don't have fusion power yet? Yeah sorry about that but I really needed those scientists.

And here I thought that it was due to me kidnapping all the top physicists in the world, chaining them up in my basement and letting them build the ultimate doomsday device for me.
So it was you you magnificent bastard...
But I gotta say, that was effort well spent.

Also, we should just flood this thread with fun and happiness and get it over 4 pages, so we can get a 4 page thread where Zhukov can post in and, at the same time, prove to Fappy that the escapist can still be fun.

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Ah, that one guy. I know him, what with his teeth and his skin and even his eyes, you know? Of course also his body type and maybe his shoes, more importantly, his toe-nails as well.

And thank you very much for that.
In return I must say that I do very much admire your Username, such simplicity, and yet, so much entertainment value given.

Watch out around those toe nails. Word around the forums is he has some nasty cotton candy fungus down there. The blue kind.
Thanks for that! I contracted the best scientists in the world to come up with that name. Know how w don't have fusion power yet? Yeah sorry about that but I really needed those scientists.

And here I thought that it was due to me kidnapping all the top physicists in the world, chaining them up in my basement and letting them build the ultimate doomsday device for me.

Also, we should just flood this thread with fun and happiness and get it over 4 pages, so we can get a 4 page thread where Zhukov can post in and, at the same time, prove to Fappy that the escapist can still be fun.

If you could share the plans for this doomsday device I will give you a lifetime supply of lambchops

I would love to do that but sadly, I must go to work now. Such a waste of time compared to spreading joy to the escapist and possibly tolling Zhukov but capitalism is a beach. Farewell for now Escapist!

Beffudled Sheep:

Calibanbutcher:

Beffudled Sheep:

If you could share the plans for this doomsday device I will give you a lifetime supply of lambchops

I would love to do that but sadly, I must go to work now. Such a waste of time compared to spreading joy to the escapist and possibly tolling Zhukov but capitalism is a beach. Farewell for now Escapist!

Where do you think you are going, my brother in arms, so far away.
Setting me up for such great posts and then leaving me twisting by the pool.
But, if necessary, I shall engage in private investigations to find you, I must bring a sixblade knife into the wild west end and travel down the waterline with a single handed sailor, watching the news to get a word from you.
But why worry, the ride across the river is easy and this one world is all I need to search, and if it turns out my enemiy is too powerful and the man is too strong, I am still going on, because your latest trick shall not leave me behind.
And I will get money for nothing and the chicks for free, in this tale written once upon a time in the wes.
Lions.

SkarKrow:

Fight fire with peace and love and drills!. Peace and love are, after all, the most flame-retardant of emotional response mechanisms!

No, the love and peace, it burns, it burns! *dissipates in a puff of troll smoke.*

Calibanbutcher:

Stop right there citizen! You should know fun and happiness are against the rules of this forum, cease and desist at once!

Fappy:
Dear Off-Topic,

Take a fucking chill pill! I usually come to OT to wind down and waste time, but it seems in recent months this place has been getting more and more explosive. I understand hyperbole is the native language of the internet and that vitriol seems to be the name of the game, but in my experience this forum's always been the exception to the rule. I think I've read the phrase "straw man" more times than Daystar has claimed supremacy over the weak and feeble! It's getting a tad... unbearable.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing serious topics in Off-Topic, but "serious topic" SHOULD NOT be synonymous with "flame war". Every hot-button topic in the last two weeks has been locked within 20 pages, and for good reason.

I don't know what the fuck's going on. Is there something in the water? Are there just not enough cute cat pictures floating around these days? Or maybe it's that we're factionalizing shit too much. Yeah, I'm a bit tired of the overdone sexism/feminism/etc. threads, but they have a right to exist. The problem, I believe, is that someone's drawn a line in the sand and turned everyone of these individual issues into one black-and-white war. Believe it or not life's not so simple and it's okay to be on one side of an argument in one debate and the side of the argument in a similar discussion. Instead of judging situations on an individual basis, many here jump on one side of the debate by default and fight to the bitter end.

Which leads me to another point which I know will fall on deaf ears. It's okay to change your mind/admit you were wrong. I can count the number of times I have seen this happen here on one hand. But you know what? I digress. Honestly, trying to get an internet community to open their collective minds is about as feasible as picking nuts out of cow shit while wearing boxing gloves.

The best solution I can come up with is that we should all just calm the fuck down and remind ourselves why we're all here. We all like games and we like talking amongst those with similar lifestyles. So let's start having fun again.

Your Eternal Lover and Baby Daddy,

Fappy

P.S: We may need to sacrifice a lurker to Spider-Mod soon if things don't change! :D

I'm not going to get into any really serious debates, on this, but from the way things have seemed to me the big "problem" recently has largely come from the site being heavily dominated by people who are extremely left wing and socially liberal, even if they see themselves as being moderates or even right wingers on various issues (as ironic as that is). While there is still a very heavy liberal dominance on these forums, your starting to see things balance out a bit more with people with sentiments in the other direction are appearing and being a little more vocal than they used to be. There was a time when you could drop a "hot button" topic and you'd pretty much see responses from only one direction, all cheering each other on, that's becoming increasingly less the case, and your seeing a lot of resistance to non-liberal viewpoints and the bubble shattering that goes along with it.

I'm not going to argue the point, since I know a lot of people will want to disagree with this on general principle, but it's some observation of a very general trend. Truthfully I think the problem will settle down with time once people get use to it. Given that I still think this site will maintain a very left wing slant in discussion on social issues, I imagine things won't change much in the long term, they just won't be quite as slanted, and you won't see the same degree of back rotary back slapping we've seen before.

For better or for worse, while things have gotten a lot louder recently, I think the trend really started with people like Anita Sarkeesian exploiting the left wing sentiments in the gaming community to spread chaos and troll with faux-issues. That's kind of what got a lot of the less socially liberal people going and becoming more vocal. I'm not going to break it down into more specifics due to how talk on this subject is one of the things that starts these battles, but that's kind of my point, your seeing a lot more criticism of things like feminism and those claiming to be feminists than you would have say three years ago. Call it backlash from things being pushed too far.

As I said though, I expect this to matter very little in the end. The general trends are likely to stay the same, but as people become used to there actually being an "other side" on the forums the heat will die down.

I anticipate the next major trend on these forums will be some left wingers getting all upset over how these used to be "such a nice place" and how they have degenerated into a bunch of (*ahem*) hate mongering due to the other side being more vocal than they used to be, and making a big show about leaving if things don't change. Assuming there isn't some kind of political crackdown, you'll probably see some left wingers leave, but after that point things will return more or less to normal, it's just things will be a little more balanced (if still leftwardly slanted in the user base), and everyone will be a bit more careful in their statements instead of trying to whip up periodic frenzies on topics they now now will see a less than one sided response.

Such are my (rambling) thoughts. Just relax, and ride it out. I've seen similar things happen over the years.

JoJo:
I've been thinking the exact same thing Fappy but you can't fight anger and hate with more anger and hate. The pessimistic side of me thinks this is part of the natural cycle of the Escapist: 2012 was generally a time of frivolity and so now the pendulum has swung back but no, we do have a choice in this. I've been thinking of making a thread about this on Sunday, still might, but changing the forums starts with changing our own conduct first and being as friendly as possible to everyone including the flamers and trolls, even in the face of blind rage. Fight the flames with love!

So in other words:

Couldn't resist. Anyways, while I disagree with your angry approach I fully agree with your point about nearly everyone getting way too worked up lately (including you, mods. No offense, but it's true). I'm actually going to start up a new thread on just posting up funny crap to help people loosen up a bit. I don't know if it's against the Escapist's rules or not, but I do feel that something like that is needed right about now. This is actually a pretty awesome place when we're not at each other's throats, and maybe we just need a good reminder of that.

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

Fight fire with peace and love and drills!. Peace and love are, after all, the most flame-retardant of emotional response mechanisms!

No, the love and peace, it burns, it burns! *dissipates in a puff of troll smoke.*

Calibanbutcher:

Stop right there citizen! You should know fun and happiness are against the rules of this forum, cease and desist at once!

Nobody has fun in this neighbourhood sonny.

You know what we do to fun havers in these parts?

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:

WATCH ME:

SkarKrow:

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:

Nobody has fun in this neighbourhood sonny.

You know what we do to fun havers in these parts?

Calibanbutcher:

WATCH ME:

A wise guy eh? I have a drill and I'm not afraid to use it. Surrender yourself to the Fun Police immediately!

SkarKrow:
snip

Come on Officer SkarKrow, let's bring this "fun-maker" to the station, someone needs re-education in Femi-Gender-Troll Studies.

Calibanbutcher:

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:

WATCH ME:

My god, you wound me good sir D:

I feel the.... fun... seeping in... no! It's all turning... colourful!!

COLOURFUL!

OH THE HUE-MANATEE!! D:

JoJo:

Calibanbutcher:

WATCH ME:

A wise guy eh? I have a drill and I'm not afraid to use it. Surrender yourself to the Fun Police immediately!

SkarKrow:
snip

Come on Officer SkarKrow, let's bring this "fun-maker" to the station, someone needs re-education in Femi-Gender-Troll Studies.

He got me Cap'n' JoJo! He got me with his despicable love and peace! D:

It burns!

He must suffer terribad avengeance for his deeds!

Too fucking true.
I've ran out of stuff to read in the gaming section and off topic is just filled with shit that really needs to be moved to R&P, and it's making me annoyed that I can no longer just sit back and passively relax on one of my (not currently) favourite websites.

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out. And I know just the means.

Goddamn it you fiend, what have you done to Officer SkarKrow?

Officer down, I repeat officer down, requesting back-up. We have an urgent fun leak in the Open Letter thread!

JoJo:

Calibanbutcher:

WATCH ME:

SkarKrow:
snip

You will never take me

And my powers of rainbow-fun have already taken hold of Skarkrow.

YOu know you want to dance as well, don't you dare deny it, the fun is taking a hold of you, taking you in it's rainbowy goodness until you dance as well.
LET'S HAVE FUN TOGETHER.

SkarKrow:

JoJo:

Calibanbutcher:

WATCH ME:

SkarKrow:
snip

It burns!

Look what I found:
Video evidence of your captain HAVING FUN.
He lied to you all these years, he lied to have all the fun himself.
Now, break free of the shackles and join the rebellion:

Fappy:

P.S: We may need to sacrifice a lurker to Spider-Mod soon if things don't change! :D

OT: I don't know if it's just an increase in topics that make people angrier, or whether it's because winter is lasting too long, but something's definitely up.

I know I get grumpier when it's cold.

Either way, I look forward to more fun threads, just try and slip a little discussion value in there. ;D

Calibanbutcher:
SNIP

It burns!

Look what I found:

[/quote]

That was a deep undercover operation to capture all the merrymakers of that particular convention!
You can't see the seething rage beneath the helmet as he jiggles and jives!

JoJo:

Officer down, I repeat officer down, requesting back-up. We have an urgent fun leak in the Open Letter thread!

Medic! We need a medic!/ and a chef for good measure!

sky14kemea:

Fappy:

OT: I don't know if it's just an increase in topics that make people angrier, or whether it's because winter is lasting too long, but something's definitely up.

Either way, I look forward to more fun threads, just try and slip a little discussion value in there. ;D

I think we're just having an unaturally long winter. I mean where I am it's bordering on a blizzard and has been for almost a full day. It's quite unorthodox.

Calibanbutcher:

Look what I found:

I am the Law... wait, what's that? No, it's impossible, a video from my college days! Curse the foolishness of youth but I am a changed Big Daddy... *leg beginnings to twitch*

Agreed, be nice to just relax and chat with people rather than get into heated argument over nothing.

SkarKrow:

sky14kemea:

Fappy:

I think we're just having an unaturally long winter. I mean where I am it's bordering on a blizzard and has been for almost a full day. It's quite unorthodox.

Exactly! I had to trudge through like 5 inches of snow today just for some fried chicken.

I love me some fried chicken, though...

The world is a dark, cold place right now. D:

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:
SNIP

It burns!

Look what I found:

That was a deep undercover operation to capture all the merrymakers of that particular convention!
You can't see the seething rage beneath the helmet as he jiggles and jives!

JoJo:

Medic! We need a medic!/ and a chef for good measure!

JoJo:

Calibanbutcher:

Look what I found:

I am the Law... wait, what's that? No, it's impossible, a video from my college days! Curse the foolishness of youth but I am a changed Big Daddy... *leg beginnings to twitch*

So he would have you believe, he wants us to think that he has changed, but I found more evidence of his fun-loving nature:
Hear the crowd cheer for him, watch him enjoy the dancing, watch YOUR CAPTAIN HAVE FUN:

WITH A GIRL
ADMIT IT, JOJO, YOU WANT THE FUN.
GIVE IN TO THE FUN.
JOIN THE FUN.

Calibanbutcher:
Snip

So he would have you believe, he wants us to think that he has changed, but I found more evidence of his fun-loving nature:
Hear the crowd cheer for him, watch him enjoy the dancing, watch YOUR CAPTAIN HAVE FUN:
[www.youtube=xltpZXm1TE4]
WITH A GIRL
GIVE IN TO THE FUN.
JOIN THE FUN.

No! Nooooo! Jo! JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Screw it, I want the fun

sky14kemea:

SkarKrow:

sky14kemea:

Exactly! I had to trudge through like 5 inches of snow today just for some fried chicken.

I love me some fried chicken, though...

The world is a dark, cold place right now. D:

Urgh it isn't that bad here and it's snowed in march before but usually near the start and it's usually getting warmer again but it's freezing and dark too!

Had to walk 3 miles in a blizzard to hand in an application form today =___=

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:
Snip

WITH A GIRL
GIVE IN TO THE FUN.
JOIN THE FUN.

Screw it, I want the fun

You know why?
Because fun is magic.
A kind of magic.

Calibanbutcher:

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:
Snip

WITH A GIRL
GIVE IN TO THE FUN.
JOIN THE FUN.

Screw it, I want the fun

You know why?
Because fun is magic.
A kind of magic.

Dude I want it!
I want it all!

And I want it now!! :D

SkarKrow:

Calibanbutcher:

SkarKrow:

Screw it, I want the fun

You know why?
Because fun is magic.
A kind of magic.

Dude I want it!
I want it all!

And I want it now!! :D

Then there is one thing left for you to do:
FUN IT

You know Fappy, I've noticed a growing correlation between the amount of vitriol and poison being spread in the Off-Topic section and your change in avatar. Coincidence? Perhaps. Then again...

Even the cat videos on youtube have taken a turn for the ugly:

Agreed. It astounds me what people are willing to get their knickers in a twist over nowadays, I don't know how you could go about your daily life being so angry at everything.

As a general rule, now, before I'm about to post in a new thread, I look at what I've written and ask myself, 'does this really need to be said?' Probably about 30% of the time I just close the window and go do something else, because I'm not contributing anything new, or adding to the debate; I'm just fanning the flames for either side of a pointless war.

So, to all you angry, angry people, I post a challenge. Listen to this, and try to stay angry for more than five seconds:

Calibanbutcher:

Then there is one thing left for you to do:
FUN IT

I don't really have a clever segway for this, coming up with them is just too much pressure.

This is now a Queen thread. Let there be decadence!

Fappy:

Froggy Slayer:
-Snip-

Dammit! I've been had! My whole OP is a sham!

It's better to have been had than to have been.

Just sayin'.

OT:

Death grabbed Freddie/Farrokh way too early. Then again, he sure did enjoy his life while he still had it. Should you feel indifferent, bored, angry, loathsome, ugly, useless or all powerful - do watch this.

Skip to 1:12:00 and just sit tight for a while if you find yourself impatient.

Calibanbutcher:
[Dancing video]

SkarKrow:

Screw it, I want the fun

Noooooo! Too many memories flooding back, my Little Sister... *breaks out into dance and song routine*

SkarKrow:
Another Snip bites the dust!

JoJo:
Snipetty Snipetty Snip

Well it seems it is my turn again for a clever segway.
Hey JoJo, you know what they say about being on the wrong side?
If you can't beat them...

Fappy:
Snip

.. .. I feel really bad...

I'm to blame for a bit of the flame wars that have been going on. As I recall, I have made several threads that got so heated, I had to lock two-three of them down. One was about the rape case, the forgiving bioware one.. the others- I can't even remember. So I apologize to everyone that had to see such vile things unfold in my threads :(

.. So yea...

And I agree with Fappy, it's been to much lately. I made those threads out of wanting to know people's opinions and friendly debates but people get way to emotional (despite that I, myself, am an emotional person..) so let's all relax, post pictures that are worth a laugh or two (no memes towards a person as an insult, thank you) thus enjoy a frappe. I sure as heck could use one right now.

P.S: Thanks Fappy for making this thread, I hope many let themselves including me chill down and even admit that we're wrong about something in a debate. We are only human after all, trying to always be right is a chore and makes people look down on you trust me lol.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here