Would you bring a pocket knife on a plane under the new TSA rules?
Yes
30.6% (53)
30.6% (53)
No
55.5% (96)
55.5% (96)
I would like to but don't have any suitable knives
13.9% (24)
13.9% (24)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: So the TSA is letting people carry knives on planes

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So starting April 25th of this year (that's next week) the TSA is going to start letting people carry small pocket knives on planes again. The selection of knives you can bring is rather limited, you can only bring folding knives that have a blade length of less than 6 cm, a blade width of less than half an inch. No fixed blade knives, no molded grips, and no locking blades will be allowed on any of the knives.

Considering these rules, will any of you be taking pocket knives on board any flights in the future? If so what kind of pocket knives are you bringing?

Personally, I think it's a really dumb decision to allow knives on planes again, but considering that they are allowing it I would love to bring one (since I'm one of those people that always carries one on him anyway). Problem is, I don't have a single knife that fits all these characteristics. Most of my folding knives either have liner or frame locks, and even the ones that don't tend to have blades longer than 2.5 inches (a hair over 6cm). Even the smallest knife I have, a spyderco grasshopper, wouldn't be allowed on a plane because the blade is wider than 1/2 an inch.

edit: For those asking why someone would even NEED a knife on a plane in the first place, my response is that you don't necessarily need the knife on the plane. The thing is that many people don't like checking their bags, so they prefer to fly with nothing but carry on baggage (I'm one of those people). For those people who like to have an everyday carry knife with them it's nice to actually have the option to bring it on their trip without having to check their luggage. It has little to do with having a knife on the plane, and more to do with having their knife available to them at their destination without having to entrust the airline with their baggage.

Now I'll have to hold it like I'm playing Counter-Strike!

I just hope I don't get tackled and tazed when the whole "Terrorists planting the bomb" announcement gets out; that's no good!

Srsly though, I have no need to bring a knife on a plane (unless snakes are involved), so this doesn't perturb me in the slightest

I'll just make sure to wear some knife-proof clothing

Or make sure I say "What'cha gonna do, stab me?" to someone who DOES bring a knife aboard

I only own one knife that fits that description, and I use the word own in the loosest sense because I haven't seen the thing in the better part of a decade, so no, I won't be taking advantage of this new rule.

As for what this rule means, I read an article the other day that said that cockpit doors on planes are much sturdier now than a few years ago, so the relaxing of some rules are in light of the fact that it's more difficult to hijack a plane nowadays. Beyond that, if a crazy person wants to go on a stabbing spree, at least I'll probably be stabbed with a smaller knife on a plane than if I were at a Taco Bell or DMV.

Water is still classified as a deadly weapon, then?

/ok

I wouldn't intentionally but if I forget to remove the pocketknife I usually have in my purse I would carry it on.

Dr. Cakey:

/ok

And we still have to go through body scanners or mandatory pat downs? /double ok

I carry a multi-tool with a knife blade and a Boker docter's knife, and I am glad I can carry them on a plane now. I think safety and security has taken the enjoyment of flight and turned it into something I don't want it to be.

You need to live with a little risk to have a more enjoyable time and knives on a plane is a step in the right direction to turn the flying experiance into what it should be.

mbarker:
I carry a multi-tool with a knife blade and a Boker docter's knife, and I am glad I can carry them on a plane now. I think safety and security has taken the enjoyment of flight and turned it into something I don't want it to be.

You need to live with a little risk to have a more enjoyable time and knives on a plane is a step in the right direction to turn the flying experiance into what it should be.

Exactly what is that though? How does being able to have a knife going to make the experience of flying that much better?

OT: Are lighters allowed on planes? I wouldn't expect them to be, but on a recent trip I accidently left one inside a bag I took on board and didn't notice till I got off.

imahobbit4062:
Exactly what is that though? How does being able to have a knife going to make the experience of flying that much better?

Knives don't make the experience of flying better its a sign of progression.

The idea of letting people carry knives shows a loosening of ridiculous security protocols and violations to people's rights. Allowing objects like knives on planes means: even if knives pose a possible security risk airlines are willing to ease some of these insane rules and allow their patrons to have a more enjoyable time.

Dr. Cakey:

Apparently, although according to the TSA website you are allowed to carry ice.

Honestly it was kind of a dumb knee jerk reaction to ban them in the first place. It was what it was. A non nonsensical measure to give people the illusion that they were actually doing something to prevent terrorism, as if they could. So the sooner we get over these peace of mind placebos the better.

Edit: Answering the question. Maybe? Honestly I would not give it a lot of thought. Realistically It is not like I would likely need a knife (or even a multi tool) to sit on a plane and most likely sleep or get drunk. However I wouldnt go out of my way to not carry one if I thought there was some rational purpose for it.

For me, my melee weapons will be just fine stored in the baggage compartment.

I have a survival knife (tool/firestarter/etc) that I carry with me, would be nice to be able to keep it on my person just in case.

Yeah, I keep multi-tools on me.

Dr. Cakey:

/ok

You could drown the plane. I mean it is a tube and you can't open the windows. I am on to you.

Otherwise nope a small knife is boring I will bring a pen.

mbarker:

imahobbit4062:

Knives don't make the experience of flying better its a sign of progression.

The idea of letting people carry knives shows a loosening of ridiculous security protocols and violations to people's rights. Allowing objects like knives on planes means: even if knives pose a possible security risk airlines are willing to ease some of these insane rules and allow their patrons to have a more enjoyable time.

Shouldn't the insane rulings start by removing the insane rulings rather than those who can be justified? Sure a 6cm knife wont be enough to hijack the plane or kill a lot of people, but you could stir up some hell. However a bottle of water, a tube of toothpaste, jam, perfume or moisturizer is strictly prohibited.

I don't agree that this is a sign of progress. This is a sign that rulings are getting dumber.

OT: I wouldn't carry a knife on a plane. Why would I need one?

Dirty Hipsters:
Problem is, I don't have a single knife that fits all these characteristics. Most of my folding knives either have liner or frame locks, and even the ones that don't tend to have blades longer than 2.5 inches (a hair over 6cm). Even the smallest knife I have, a spyderco grasshopper, wouldn't be allowed on a plane because the blade is wider than 1/2 an inch.

For some reason, I think my knife break's most of those rules. With it being my only knife, I think I'd have ot just figure out another way to bring it with me.

Cause seriously, I hate not having my knife on me.

Yopaz:

It's not necessarily that you would need a knife on the plane, but some people (including me) tend to only travel with carry on luggage specifically so they don't have to check their bags, and I personally use my pocket knives all the time, so while I wouldn't actually need it on the plane, it would be nice to be able to have one in my carry on bag so that I can still have a knife with me for everyday carry when I get off the plane.

Dirty Hipsters:

Yopaz:

It's not necessarily that you would need a knife on the plane, but some people (including me) tend to only travel with carry on luggage specifically so they don't have to check their bags, and I personally use my pocket knives all the time, so while I wouldn't actually need it on the plane, it would be nice to be able to have one in my carry on bag so that I can still have a knife with me for everyday carry when I get off the plane.

In that case this makes perfect sense. The only times I carry lightly enough to not bring anything extra are the times when I visit my parents and they have way better knives than me so I didn't consider this option.

Hmm... I'd have to dig up my one inch folded knives and they aren't useful for much, so I guess not.

Yes, but entirely because other people have them and can use them on me... so if I brandish my knife, it'll put us in a state of Mutually Assured Destruction...<.<

JaceArveduin:

Dirty Hipsters:
Problem is, I don't have a single knife that fits all these characteristics. Most of my folding knives either have liner or frame locks, and even the ones that don't tend to have blades longer than 2.5 inches (a hair over 6cm). Even the smallest knife I have, a spyderco grasshopper, wouldn't be allowed on a plane because the blade is wider than 1/2 an inch.

For some reason, I think my knife break's most of those rules. With it being my only knife, I think I'd have ot just figure out another way to bring it with me.

Cause seriously, I hate not having my knife on me.

This is my personal favorite EDC knife that I carry with me most days:

Yeah, no way they're going to let my Kershaw Tremor on a plane.

Yopaz:

Shouldn't the insane rulings start by removing the insane rulings rather than those who can be justified? Sure a 6cm knife wont be enough to hijack the plane or kill a lot of people, but you could stir up some hell. However a bottle of water, a tube of toothpaste, jam, perfume or moisturizer is strictly prohibited.

If I recall correctly, that rule was implemented in response to an attempt to simultaneously blow up ten planes by using liquid explosives stored in things like water bottles, toothpaste tubes, etc.

On topic: I wouldn't really feel the need to.

I own 7 knives, and not one of them is under 6 cm. I would hesitate to call anything under 6cm a "knife" anyway, shit that tiny is a letter opener. Even multitool blades are longer than that, and they're hardly even knives already.

All this says is that whoever lays down the law at TSA is pants on head retarded.

I think this is a stupid idea. you should not be allowed to carry any kniveso n board.

Dr_Matt:

Dr. Cakey:

Apparently, although according to the TSA website you are allowed to carry ice.

Thats because with bottles, you cant know whether its water or some liquid explosion, and with Ice, well, lets jsut say liquid explosions dont freeze like that.

Imma say yes even though I'm not planning on travelling to the USA any time soon (therefore I don't have to contend with the TSA rules) however I'll be bringing mine when I fly to PAX Aus later in the year. It lives hooked to my keys and flash drive so I take it with me wherever I go anyway...thing can be handy with all the little whatsits it has in it, even if I usually only use it to cut my fingernails and open boxes.

Probably not.

I like carrying a Swiss-army-knife with me, because of how useful it is (the parts I most use are actually the screwdriver-parts), but mine is also expensive enough that I'm not going to risk losing it if they decide it's against the rules after all.
Which is a shame, because a situation where you lose your luggage is one where I'd be happy to at least have that.

Other knives I carry are much bigger but I only keep them with me when on the countryside, where I might need them when outside.

This is kinda a bad idea, I think.

Even if the blade is short, in the right place it can do serious damage.

We're not in the all clear for terrorism, we never will be. It's simply not worth the risk.

Duncan Belfast:

Yopaz:

If I recall correctly, that rule was implemented in response to an attempt to simultaneously blow up ten planes by using liquid explosives stored in things like water bottles, toothpaste tubes, etc.

On topic: I wouldn't really feel the need to.

And knives can be used to stab and kill someone. With a 6cm blade I could even use it to make a bomb.
It's also absurdly easy to separate liquid explosives from water. If I take a sip from my bottle then clearly it can't be explosive. Simple chemical tests would also show the result. Now i'm not saying that there's no danger in letting people bring water bottles with them. I am just saying that a knife is even worse.

Yopaz:

If I take a sip from my bottle then clearly it can't be explosive. Simple chemical tests would also show the result. Now i'm not saying that there's no danger in letting people bring water bottles with them. I am just saying that a knife is even worse.

Suicide bombers are gonna be super put off about having to taste explosives. It might be icky! Or even make them SICK?! What if they dont get better?! (sarcasm aside, a suicide bombers life is measured in hours after they get on a plane so why would they give a fuck, pick an explosive that when drunk will kill them in about 6 hours, plenty of time to arm the bomb. Problem solved.)

Also chemically testing ALL the toothpaste ALL the water ALL the liquids. I mean eugh. Thats even more draconion and time consuming than anything else. Just chuck it away is the fastest route.

I was flying last summer and while in Holland I had the chance to close-read one of the posters that announced what wasn't allowed on a plane. Amongst them were catapults and ballistas. :(

Soviet Steve:
I was flying last summer and while in Holland I had the chance to close-read one of the posters that announced what wasn't allowed on a plane. Amongst them were catapults and ballistas. :(

Well, how would they feel if they didn't ban them, and a terrorist brought down a plane with a trebuchet?

Cap: bark ing mad

Yeah, like that.

I would argue that it would be extraordinarily difficult for a person or even group of people to conquer an airliner using only 6cm blades against a cabin full of people who really fucking hate terrorists and would be just itching for a chance to brutally beat the stupid out of them.

The USA's policy on terrorists isn't 'sit and co-operate' anymore. Not since 9/11, when terrorism isn't just about ransom and demands anymore. Look at Flight 93 - they got their freedom on and nearly saved the plane, and definitely saved the target.

BiscuitTrouser:

Yopaz:

If I take a sip from my bottle then clearly it can't be explosive. Simple chemical tests would also show the result. Now i'm not saying that there's no danger in letting people bring water bottles with them. I am just saying that a knife is even worse.

Suicide bombers are gonna be super put off about having to taste explosives. It might be icky! Or even make them SICK?! What if they dont get better?! (sarcasm aside, a suicide bombers life is measured in hours after they get on a plane so why would they give a fuck, pick an explosive that when drunk will kill them in about 6 hours, plenty of time to arm the bomb. Problem solved.)

Also chemically testing ALL the toothpaste ALL the water ALL the liquids. I mean eugh. Thats even more draconion and time consuming than anything else. Just chuck it away is the fastest route.

You know, most explosives are highly toxic. Consuming even small amounts could cause them to vomit blood. Yes, suicide bombers could probably take that risk because they wouldn't care about getting sick. It's not like they're planning to live it through anyway, that's true. However if they were to drink something that would make them them deadly sick and cause them to lose the skin inside their mouth don't you think that would be enough to tip us off that they are not carrying water?

Oh, you also conveniently ignored the part where I said that I wasn't saying that there was no danger danger in letting us bring water. You ignored the part where I said a knife can be used as a murder weapon, you ignored that I mentioned it can be used to make a bomb. Tell me how a knife is less dangerous than a bottle of water. Because that's the point I am trying to make here.

Yopaz:

You know, most explosives are highly toxic. Consuming even small amounts could cause them to vomit blood. Yes, suicide bombers could probably take that risk because they wouldn't care about getting sick. It's not like they're planning to live it through anyway, that's true. However if they were to drink something that would make them them deadly sick and cause them to lose the skin inside their mouth don't you think that would be enough to tip us off that they are not carrying water?

Oh, you also conveniently ignored the part where I said that I wasn't saying that there was no danger danger in letting us bring water. You ignored the part where I said a knife can be used as a murder weapon, you ignored that I mentioned it can be used to make a bomb. Tell me how a knife is less dangerous than a bottle of water. Because that's the point I am trying to make here.

But some are not :3 Im pretty confident nitroglycerin isnt toxic immediately. All im saying is if they are aware the only test is to drink it thats easily bypassed.

I didnt address those because i agree. A knife is way more dangerous.

The points i disputed were these two, everything else we agreed on:

Tasting was a useful test in any way shape or form.

Testing the liquid would be easy or more efficient.

The rest isnt relevent to what i wanted to say. We agree.

WTF?...Why are you even bring a knife on a plain in the first place? What's that all about? What possible use would you have for a blade while on a flight?

If you absolutely need a knife where you are going then check that shit in with your luggage and and declare it with customs.

Oh and btw, anyone who says a 6cm blade isn't really that dangerous is talking out of their arse. Anything with an sharp edge can be deadly in the right hands (or should that be wrong hands?).

EDIT

BiscuitTrouser:

But some are not :3 Im pretty confident nitroglycerin isnt toxic immediately...

It's not toxic, it's actually sometimes used to treat Angina as it can promote vasodilation and increase blood flow.

In cases of high exposure (such as industrial exposure from demolition explosive) then it can cause intense headaches, a condition known as 'bang head' lolz

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked