7.6% (29)
7.6% (29)
Eh, heard of them
2.9% (11)
2.9% (11)
Aren't they attached to England?
7.6% (29)
7.6% (29)
Yeah, they're one of the constituent countries in the UK.
47.9% (182)
47.9% (182)
I know plenty about Wales/Cymru
23.4% (89)
23.4% (89)
Rwy'n byw yng nghymru
10.3% (39)
10.3% (39)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What do you know about Wales?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Da Orky Man:
So, have you ever heard of that little rocky outcropping of England the inhabitants call Wales? (The shaded bit)

You see, on the occasion that I go out of the UK, I find that almost nobody has ever heard of us, although I kind of expected to be rather obscure

So I am asking you, my fellow Escapees, how aware are you of Wales? Thinks its an animal? Well enough to know a Welsh leisure centre when you see one? Or perhaps you are fluent in Welsh, descendant language of much of pre-Roman Europe, and bane of visitors without chest colds.
Or, for the brave amongst you, can you pronounce the names of such towns and villages as Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Llanelli or even the dreaded Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Wales was until two years ago part of England. MTV based their show 'The Valleys' in a fictional country called Wales so as to avoid offending any stereotypes. In a move which could only be described as ambitious MTV assumed the show The Valleys would reach the dizzying heights of popularity found by Jersey Shore and as a result commissioned a theme park based on the fictional land in which the show was set. This was accomplished by buying a small area of the south west of England near to Ireland, the logic being they could charge people a fee when migrating from England to Ireland, due to Englands ironic potato shortage. Having brought this area of the country for their 'The Valleys' themed park MTV pulled out all the stops to make their park as close to a real country as possible, even inventing an entire language much in the way Tolkien did for the various races in lord of the rings. Once this entire infrastructure was in place tragedy struck in the form of poor ratings for the showing of the valleys leaving MTV with a theme park and very little interest from anyone in visiting it, apart from those wishing to pass through due to the aforementioned potato famine. Because of this MTV did they only thing they could, they bribed Englands government, which is ruled by the queen, and retconned Wales into our countires history. Replacing all the atlases in English schools with ones which included the newly created Wales and burning the old ones.

And thats Wales. You're welcome.

Awesome for rugby. The welsh accent is so so sekz. The girls are all awesome, and bat shit crazy.

Thats all I kinda know I know a wee bit about its history and mostly what other people have put about it.

I know that I live there... its a beautiful country with wonderful sheep, a pretty cool language and amazing landscapes.

I really love Cardiff too, I dos.

Oh, and Welsh Cakes, they're amazing.

Considering many people haven't even heard of my country, nor aware of it's existence, you should be happy that I'm aware that Wales and Welsh language exist.
For the record it's Bulgaria, go look it up yourself. (The Greeks call us "Vulgaros" for a reason)

Wales is a part of England that likes to think it's its own country somehow.

Do the people of South Eastern France identify themselves as Burgundinians and insist their particular region be considered a nation within a nation?

CrashBang:

Wadders:
Not as much as I should, probably. I lived there for 3 years whilst at Aberystwyth University, and my home isn't far from the border anyhow. (Near Welshpool/ Montgomery, as if anyone here would actually know where they are :-P )

I went to Aber as well! I was there 08-11 and then did my teacher training there as well. A few of my mates still live there and my flatmate is visiting there as we speak. It was an incredible experience; best three years of my life.

Woo another Aberite! Yeah it really is a wonderful place. Strange, but wonderful. I don't think you can quite replicate the Aber experience anywhere else. I'm in Birmingham doing an MA and it just isn't the same. I graduated last year, still go back there for a night out now and then. What course did you do?

Wadders:

CrashBang:

Wadders:
Not as much as I should, probably. I lived there for 3 years whilst at Aberystwyth University, and my home isn't far from the border anyhow. (Near Welshpool/ Montgomery, as if anyone here would actually know where they are :-P )

I went to Aber as well! I was there 08-11 and then did my teacher training there as well. A few of my mates still live there and my flatmate is visiting there as we speak. It was an incredible experience; best three years of my life.

Woo another Aberite! Yeah it really is a wonderful place. Strange, but wonderful. I don't think you can quite replicate the Aber experience anywhere else. I'm in Birmingham doing an MA and it just isn't the same. I graduated last year, still go back there for a night out now and then. What course did you do?

Agreed, it's small and yet, for the whole time you're there, it never gets dull. My mates who still live there say it's not great if you're not a student; it loses its spark.

I did drama which was fun but not the most academic or useful degree in the world. That's why I made the most of it by becoming an English teacher. The PGCE in Aber is really good. What about you?

Hmmm, what do I know about Wales? It is a constituent of the United Kingdom. It borders with England. It has some of the worst weather ever. It has good rugby for a Northern Hemisphere nation, just not quite as good as my beloved South Africa :P and the rest of us Southern Hemisphere nations. In all honesty if Wales had to play in the Tri-nations (South Africa, Australia and New Zealand) they would be destroyed. It has an indecipherable language. That about sums up my knowledge of the place.

Da Orky Man:

Zhukov:

Their flag is a red dragon on a white background... possibly?

I think it's the region that remained under the control of the celtic peoples the longest, back in the old days when Britain was being invaded by basically everyone, which accounts for many of the cultural and linguistic peculiarities of the area. Uh... I may be remembering that completely wrong, don't judge me!

Welsh flag:
So yes, correct there. As for the Celts, both Scotland and Irish are considered Celtic nations, along with Brittany, the Isle of Man and Cornwall.
Basically, the only bit of Britain that anyone really wanted was the south-east, so the Celts kept getting pushed back into the not so nice bits.

Greatest flag in all of Europe. ;_; *salute*

Not alot to be honest other than its part of the UK and that I am from New South Wales Australia

Abomination:
Wales is a part of England that likes to think it's its own country somehow.

Do the people of South Eastern France identify themselves as Burgundinians and insist their particular region be considered a nation within a nation?

It is indeed counted as a nation within a nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

The four recognised countries of the UK are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. There is nothing ambiguous about it.
However, unlike Scotland, there is arse-all support for independence here. We know that independence would not work, so we're happy to get free money off England.

Evil Smurf:

lacktheknack:

All I know is that Wales has words that make me sad.

How the flying spaghetti monster do you say that?

"Eg-li-soo-roo", I believe. (Can I get a Welsh in here to fix my pronunciation, please?)

Most choirs per square mile in the world. In fact each person is in on average 3 different choirs there. A large proportion of these people aren't even aware they are in a choir anyway.

I know they fuck sheep have lovely accents and have a kickass dragon their flag. Rawr! They also have a language, like we Irish have Gaelic. Nobody really cares about either, but why not remember them and how they work?

Been there two times. Both times it was raining and full of sheep. Beautiful, though. :)

I know a fair bit. Grew up on the Wirral, spent a lot of time sailing in north wales/anglesey, went to UWA, (who, despite me studying modern european languages, refused to let me study welsh... no wonder it's in decline!!!) and spent a lot of time working throughout the country.

Oh, and it's free to escape from the south, but the buggers charge to get back in. Odd that.

CrashBang:

Wadders:

CrashBang:

Agreed, it's small and yet, for the whole time you're there, it never gets dull. My mates who still live there say it's not great if you're not a student; it loses its spark.

I did drama which was fun but not the most academic or useful degree in the world. That's why I made the most of it by becoming an English teacher. The PGCE in Aber is really good. What about you?

Yeah I'm not surprised. Glad I left after my undergrad course finished, with good memories intact. I imagine once you dont have lectures/work/excessive drinking to do, there's not much in the way of other attractions. Still a great place for a piss-up though! Although having to stay in The Cambrian makes me feel dirty.

Aye, I've heard that its a good place to do a PGCE - fair play to you, I dont think I could handle being a teacher! I did History so it seems like a natural career choice, but I've not got the patience!

Da Orky Man:
You see, on the occasion that I go out of the UK, I find that almost nobody has ever heard of us, although I kind of expected to be rather obscure

Really?

I'm American, and I've not only heard of Wales, I've been there. Repeatedly. Portmeirion is fucking awesome - I have an umbrella that I bought while visiting that particular resort town. Also, the castles that the invading British built to hold Wales are some of the most impressive castles anywhere in the world. Caernarfon, Conwy, and Caerphilly... I'm sure there are others that don't begin with C, but those are the three I remember visiting.

Plus, there's Cardiff where they film the new Doctor Who. Wales is pretty famous these days what with Doctor Who being filmed there (and Torchwood taking place there).

Bara_no_Hime:

Da Orky Man:

Really?

I'm American, and I've not only heard of Wales, I've been there. Repeatedly. Portmeirion is fucking awesome - I have an umbrella that I bought while visiting that particular resort town. Also, the castles that the invading British built to hold Wales are some of the most impressive castles anywhere in the world. Caernarfon, Conwy, and Caerphilly... I'm sure there are others that don't begin with C, but those are the three I remember visiting.

Plus, there's Cardiff where they film the new Doctor Who. Wales is pretty famous these days what with Doctor Who being filmed there (and Torchwood taking place there).

Nice to know we aren't quite as invisible as it seems.

At some point, you should try Kidwelly. I lived there for quite a while, and the have one of the best preserved castles in Wales.

Simple, us English owed the Welsh then we used you as archers for the majority of the medieval era which then we also took your bow and put our label on it. -____-

Still, I would like to go hiking there one day.

Da Orky Man:
Nice to know we aren't quite as invisible as it seems.
At some point, you should try Kidwelly. I lived there for quite a while, and the have one of the best preserved castles in Wales.

I'll keep that in mind. Not sure when I'll be able to get back there, though - it's a pretty expensive vacation.

Oh, nearly forgot - I find the food in Wales better than almost anywhere else in the British Isles. I'm not sure why that is, but I recall that was the case. Portmeirion had a particularly delicious restaurant, although I can't recall the name.

If I didn't like Bath so much (and I really do) I'd consider making my next trip to the British Isles a Wales-only vacation. Again, no idea when that will be...

I once saw a lambing one fine April morning in Wales.
captcha-which one is a country

Going around in Welsh rural areas don't wear wellies, its tips off the sheep.

Welsh rarebit...which from what I gather as an Englishman is like cheese on toast with stuff but with a fancy name attached.

The fact that all train stations are named so that you can identify foreigners by their inability to actually pronounce them, which I must say is pretty highly ranked on the evil meter so good job there.

A little shop in Tenby called Eclipse(I think) that was full of new agey coolness when i was a kid.

And joking aside some fantasticly beautiful landscapes.

I know Wales was where the King Raven Trilogy was set, and as a result I tend to associate Wales with Robin Hood. I also tend to associate it with the Celts more than England, Scotland, or Ireland. Other than that, I've always thought it would be a nice place to visit if I ever travelled to Europe, especially since it has some truly beautiful scenery.

Well I know they've been in the U.K. for a long time and that's where Led Zeppelin wrote Led Zeppelin IV

Well.. this sortof is what I think of when someon mentions Wales.. sorry ^^

I do know a fun fact about the name "Wales" though it has the same etymologycial origin as Wallonia in Belgium. Meaning foreigners in proto Germanic.

Basically everything Torchwood showed me.

Also that it's a "Principality" according to Diamanda Hagan.

I was vaguely aware of it in a historical sense, much more aware of it after watching new Doctor Who and Torchwood. People there seem to sound different from English as well, I can barely understand Gwen from Torchwood when she gets talking.

Da Orky Man:

Basically, the only bit of Britain that anyone really wanted was the south-east, so the Celts kept getting pushed back into the not so nice bits.

It wasn't so much that noone wanted them. The romans tried to take over all the isles except perhaps Ireland, but never successfully took full control of Ireland or Cornwall or Wales, and got their arses handed to them by the Scottish.

Anyway, half my family is Welsh and I'm at Cardiff uni, so I know a fair bit... I know that their literature tends to be very dull, and that the have the dubious honour of being the only country with shittier and less predictable weather than England. On the plus side, they have some very pretty countryside and good windsurfing, and the people tend to be nice unless there's a rugby match on, in which case tensions can run quite high. They're good at rugby generally, which is something I can definitely get behind. Rugby is way better than football.

As for the language, I know that 'w' is a vowel, and that 'dd' is pronounced 'th' or 'ff' depending on your accent. So Cardiff spelt the Welsh way is Caerdydd. And Cymru (Wales) is pronounced cum-ree or cam-ree for some reason.

Also the Welsh flag looks boss.

As several people have pointed out already, Y Ddraig Goch is infinitely cooler than all the other UK flags; and most other flags, for that matter (although I've always liked St Lucia's and Sierra Leone's).

But yeah. I lived eighteen years in one of the other parts of the UK associated with fornicating with sheep (Norfolk), so those jokes got old fast. It consists mainly of Cardiff, Swansea, Anglesey, hills, several defunct coal mines, a steel works or two, and the world's most awesome power station at Dinorwig, which exists solely to power all the kettles that get turned on to make tea when Eastenders finishes.

My dad went there on holiday once. All the locals thought he was Welsh (his name's Bryn - he also looked remarkably like Griff Rhys Jones when he was younger), although he was actually born in Hampshire.

I remember reading TV listings for S4C in my Grandad's Sunday Telegraph. They looked scary. That soap somebody was trying to remember earlier was Pobol Y Cwm; I also recall spotting Newyddion, which by timing I guessed was just their word for the news.

The double-L thing is pronounced somewhere nearer "thl" than the "ql" someone suggested earlier, although "ql" seems to be the vaguely lazy and foreign way to do it (that's how my dad taught me to pronounce Llanfair-etc).

Wales also gave the world Ryan Giggs, who is epic.

Being welsh I know too much about the place. Haa but seriously it's like everywhere else in the UK, could be better but still it's better than living in most other places. Our rugby team is awesome, not so much our regional teams, but we tend to slip up when we play the southern hemisphere teams. But then again we have a much smaller talent pool to choose from when compared to those countries so it's not really surprising (Although I'm just waiting for the Welsh dominated Lions team to tear Australia apart this summer). Our language is dying but won't be sorely missed and that MTV show the Valleys is actually very slightly semi-accurate, as much as it hurts me to admit it. But all things considered we have a dragon on our flag so all other arguments are irrelevant haa.

Well, they swim a lot. They're quite big and they seem to menace Sonic.

They are mammals and they each a shit ton of plankton.

Wadders:

CrashBang:

Wadders:

Yeah I'm not surprised. Glad I left after my undergrad course finished, with good memories intact. I imagine once you dont have lectures/work/excessive drinking to do, there's not much in the way of other attractions. Still a great place for a piss-up though! Although having to stay in The Cambrian makes me feel dirty.

Aye, I've heard that its a good place to do a PGCE - fair play to you, I dont think I could handle being a teacher! I did History so it seems like a natural career choice, but I've not got the patience!

Ugh, The Cambrian is filthy. I've heard stories.

Trust me, I'm not cut out for teaching; I'm the most emotionally ill-equipped and immature person you're likely to meet but they'll take anyone nowadays!

They are basically really large fish. Except they breathe air and can talk. That shit's cray-cray.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked