19.2% (40)
19.2% (40)
Teleportation
80.8% (168)
80.8% (168)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would You Rather? - Superpowers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, two superpowers, but you can only choose one.

Flying - You can fly at about 100mph, but can't slow down. Meaning you won't be able to see very well, you'll probably hit something on the way to your destination and landing will be a bit of a pain.

Teleportation - You can teleport, though not instantly and you have to of been to the place you are teleporting to. Also there is a 0.5% chance you will teleport inside a wall.

Let me know if you want more of these.

Teleportation, hands down. How long would it take though?

Hm, if I did go for teleportation I'd have to fly all over the world to get reference points, then expand my reach...

I'd probably go with flying, as all that travelling would suck. I'm also an advocate of enjoying the journey rather than the destination, so there's that. Flying straight upwards & investing in a decent pair of goggles would probably solve all the issues apart from landing, which could be rather fatal at 100mph...

So... die after hitting the floor at 100mph or take a 0.5% chance of merging with a wall?

I'd pick teleportation, and even then I'd only use it if I thought it was absolutely necessary.

Both of them sound like bad ideas, but Teleportation sounds more useful in emergencies.

Uh, inability to slow down means instant death on your first landing unless you arrange for a moving vehicle to catch you, and even then, your odds of escaping unscathed are quite low. Hell, the acceleration on take off would likely kill you.

I'll take teleportation and never use it save for emergencies. 1 in 200 odds of ending one's life as part of a building's decor is a bit too high to use the ability on anything resembling a regular basis.

So I can almost certainly turn myself into a red smear at the end of my first flight or face a 1 in 200 chance of dying from teleportation.

I'll take the teleportation and save it until I'm about to face a much higher risk of death if I don't use it.

I shall solve this with SCIENCE! So, assuming normal teleportation doesn't kill me, then since nowhere on earth is a vaccuum, it follows that I displace material from where I land (ie. the air). So landing inside a wall isn't necessarily fatal (to me) provided the wall is less than a couple of feet thick.

On the other hand, violently exploding a wall could cause a lot of collateral damage I'd rather not have on my conscience, and could cause me to die anyway (building collapse etc.) Also, if I landed in a much thicker wall/hill , it would probably be akin to being buried alive and I'd suffocate pretty quickly.

On the other hand, flying seems to be insta-death (unless you never stopped), so yeah teleportation it is.

hmm 100% chance of death or just .05% hmmm decisions decisions

I would pick teleportation and just never teleport to places with walls. Problem solved.

Esotera:
Hm, if I did go for teleportation I'd have to fly all over the world to get reference points, then expand my reach...

I'd probably go with flying, as all that travelling would suck. I'm also an advocate of enjoying the journey rather than the destination, so there's that. Flying straight upwards & investing in a decent pair of goggles would probably solve all the issues apart from landing, which could be rather fatal at 100mph...

Ditto, travelling is half the adventure.

CitrusLover:
So, two superpowers, but you can only choose one.

Flying - You can fly at about 100mph, but can't slow down. Meaning you won't be able to see very well, you'll probably hit something on the way to your destination and landing will be a bit of a pain.

Teleportation - You can teleport, though not instantly and you have to of been to the place you are teleporting to. Also there is a 0.5% chance you will teleport inside a wall.

Let me know if you want more of these.

This is a really silly choice.

Smashing into the ground at 100 mph is going to kill you, if not just shattering your bones.

Teleportation is the only logical option.

A tougher choice would be between teleportation or telekinesis, they are the ultimate utilitarian superpowers.

VoidWanderer:
This is a really silly choice.

Smashing into the ground at 100 mph is going to kill you, if not just shattering your bones.

Teleportation is the only logical option.

That is until roughly the two hundredth time you do it, at which point the fact that your molecules are occupying the same space as those of a wall results in a nuclear explosion that kills both you and potentially thousands of innocent bystanders.

With the provided limitations, I'd honestly never use either superpower, but at least with flight I could try to land by abruptly flying up at the last second and then deactivating it. Teleportation is just a ticking time bomb.

just out of curiosity, if i keep teleporting 5 meters left to right in the middle of a giant field where is the wall i will crash into?
and what does "not instantly" mean? are we talking fading way like in star trek or is it random? could i forget i wanted to teleport to china and just vanish in the middle of something?
and would i even flying at 100mph or wouldn't that kill me somehow?

Neither of them is much use, at least enough to be fun. The flying would result in instant death from acceleration, and even if you could survive the take-off, landing will most certainly kill you.
On the other hand, the teleportation could actually be useful, but only as a get-out-of-fuckup-free card. a 1/200 chance of instant death is way too high for anything useful.

I suppose you could stand a slight chance of landing if you only ever landed in a long stretch of water, but even then, your chances aren't good.

I'll take teleportation. I don't think I'll use either, though. Seriously, no viable method of landing? What kind of choice is this?

These super powers seem to be lacking in the area of "super." If I had to choose, I guess the teleportation option is less deadly. Can I just not have a power?

ClockworkPenguin:
I shall solve this with SCIENCE! So, assuming normal teleportation doesn't kill me, then since nowhere on earth is a vaccuum, it follows that I displace material from where I land (ie. the air). So landing inside a wall isn't necessarily fatal (to me) provided the wall is less than a couple of feet thick.

On the other hand, violently exploding a wall could cause a lot of collateral damage I'd rather not have on my conscience, and could cause me to die anyway (building collapse etc.) Also, if I landed in a much thicker wall/hill , it would probably be akin to being buried alive and I'd suffocate pretty quickly.

On the other hand, flying seems to be insta-death (unless you never stopped), so yeah teleportation it is.

Made the choice even easier. Thank you!

It sounds like there is a pretty good chance either of these powers will get me killed. I'll take neither as I wouldn't be able to resist using them and would likely end up splattered against a tree or cut in half by a wall.

Contrarily to the general trend, I think the teleport thing is a bad idea. 0.05% may seem small but when used frequently enough it's just a question of 'when' and not 'if'. And there isn't really anything you can do about it, besides the obvious: not using the teleport which would be lame beyond words.

With the flying thing on the other hand, there's definantly some wiggleroom to make it work. For instance, you could make some kind of custom parachute that is just big enough to slow you down to a reasonable landing speed when popped.

EDIT: after posting it occured to me the whole parachute thing isn't so different from how a wingsuit flyer lands. So I googled a little and guess what... The average speed of a wingsuit is 100mph! What more proof could you possibly want that the flying thing is perfectly viable?

Teleportation.

Simply because I'm terrified of heights, and I wouldn't mind getting to class easier.

I think teleportation does what flying is ultimately used for (getting to places) with a lower risk.
Unless flying also lets you hover a bit, there seems to be no practical use for flying at all, except to catapult yourself against things.

I'd take flight. I would just get a custom wing suit and practice landing.

Flying without the ability to hover is just useless.

Also, if I can teleport to inside a wall, what does that mean? I'll just always randomly teleport to a single wall .5% of the time or will I get calculations off and simply end up in an area that I don't want to be. I'm not worried about being inside the wall because unless you have the ability to move the atoms and molecules out of your way whilst teleporting you'd always die from air bubbles in your bloodstream each time you teleport. Its kinda necessary.

But I'll go for teleportation.

If you can't slow down while flying from 100 MPH in a controlled, then it's basically an idiot-trap power.
Teleportation wins by default: 1/200 odds of instant death is still better than 100/100.

I would choose Teleportation purely because it is stealthier. Flying through the air at 100km/h is a great way to ensure mass panic.

If you shut off your flying power, turned around, then activated it briefly again you could use the force to cancel out your forward momentum. This is of course under the assumption that you are nearly impervious to the inertia caused by the acceleration and that the 100 km/h is not a magical instant speed boost and is instead based off of a massive force accelerating you to those speeds.

I would totally go for flying instead of teleportation, I am far better at controlling momentum than visualizing a destination.

Considering said .05% could probably be avoided if I just set my destination somewhere in an open field and 6 feet above the ground, I'll go with that.

I'd take the teleport for emergencies, like many others.

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture.
Because Rapture has plasmids. So long as I don't splice too much, I could have telekinesis, and using telekinesis on myself would allow for a form of flight.

You peoples is all crazy! No one ever said you can't stop flying at will. Just that while you fly you go 100 mp/h. This puts some pretty serious strain on your body for sure, both the instant take off at massive speed, and the deadstop at the end of it. But for argument's sake I will assume that part of the Superpower Superpackage!(tm) you also get the ability to survive those 2 massive forces.
Then it will just come down to getting used to the actual flying, and learning to deadstop a few feet off the ground at your destination. After a while this will become as natural as walking, which I will remind you, you also had to learn to do at one point.

If you think this is too much assumption, then I will put it to you that I find it fairly presumptuous that you think you'd just magically understand everything there is to know about teleportation as soon as you get that power.

Anywho, I choose flight, at the end of the day that just feels more badass. Gunna smash shit up, Nappa style!

Neither. Those are some pretty shitty limitations. I'll gladly let someone else have those powers.

Zachary Amaranth:
I'd take the teleport for emergencies, like many others.

Where as I'd cosplay as nightcrawler and show off.

Dirty Hipsters:
I would pick teleportation and just never teleport to places with walls. Problem solved.

Well, what about teleporting into the ground?

What is the floor besides a wall you stand on?

I would take neither because I know from Blood Bowl that you will roll four ones in a row sometime or another, so teleportation would kill me some time or another while I am pretty sure flying that fast would kill me flat out, let alone trying to land.

Kids, if you have super powers, make sure the required secondary ones come with it. :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked