46.8% (101)
No
17.1% (37)
17.1% (37)
Witty third option
32.4% (70)
32.4% (70)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is modern TV dumbing down the youth of today?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

TV has too many "reality" shows that make dumb.

Nope, because they've used the same argument for years, even back in the 50's when TV was just starting to become mainstream. It's cyclical like so many things in our society. It's all been speculated on before and hasn't amounted to anything so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

i think shows like the one on CN and Nickelodeon
are because everyone of those shows have something in them that is retarded
good shows otherwise though

Labyrinth:
It's necessary to point out that the great Glass Teat isn't just dumbing down people my age, it's infiltrating most people, regardless of age. To quote Fight Club "What I care about is celebrity magazines". We're taught to be stupid, to pay attention to what the face on the screen is telling us.

It's the same sort of psychology as surrounds the 'TV president' syndrome. That is, we believe we understand our leaders because we see them all the time in the media. Never mind the fact that it's mostly spin and propaganda.

Your post reflects a topic I've been meaning to discuss here once. All this damned worshipping of people on the telly absolutely disgusts me. So what, he made a song that some people like. So what, she is quite beautiful and appears in some magazines. So what, he is of not much more then mediocre intelligence, yet black and running for president.

I wonder how much stuff like this we see on TV actually represents the people, and how much is intended to make the people think that this is what the people like to see. I like to believe that the newer generations are less vulnerable to such intrusions, though as the OP stated, this indoctrination begins at much younger ages.

It almost makes me shudder every time I think about it.

I don't think it's as much a matter of content that dumbs down kids, but rather the overuse of ideas and creativity being fed to children rather than them creating their own. What it does is makes people content with others' ideas, and absorbs them.

kolompi:
TV has too many "reality" shows that make dumb.

This, to a point, its not the fact that it makes people dumb, it just shows them that people out there are worse than them, and allows them to lower their standards

Oh wow. This is an impressive piece of Necromancy.

S.H.A.R.P.:
Your post reflects a topic I've been meaning to discuss here once. All this damned worshipping of people on the telly absolutely disgusts me. So what, he made a song that some people like. So what, she is quite beautiful and appears in some magazines. So what, he is of not much more then mediocre intelligence, yet black and running for president.

I wonder how much stuff like this we see on TV actually represents the people, and how much is intended to make the people think that this is what the people like to see. I like to believe that the newer generations are less vulnerable to such intrusions, though as the OP stated, this indoctrination begins at much younger ages.

It almost makes me shudder every time I think about it.

Film is an illusion. The Fourth Wall between the acting and us is there even in news bulletins and celebrity angst. We don't look through the camera into the soul, as much as it might be a comfort to think of it like that. A pity that the general assumption is to stare slack-jawed.

TomNook:
No, the youth of today is getting dumber. TV is a reflection, not a cause.

Bingo! Give this guy a medal.

Unfortuantly we don't know what the cause is of the stupidity in alot of people these days but I reckon we have hit our limit. I mean, how can it get any worse than most of the crap thats already on TV?

Yes, TV, at least in my country, is dumbing people down. Cartoon Network, no matter how bad the cartoons are, at least taught kids English. Now they changed it to a poorly dubbed romanian which doesn't even make sense. And since most programs are the ones you see in the US, the ones with the big ratings, doesn't surprise me how shallow most people become. In conclusion, yes.

Wow, TV dumbing down the nation? Never heard of that.

I think the TV programm of today is actually quite excellent. I never dreamed of witnessing the thrilling challenges of Fear Factor and how they lower the dignity of their contestants into abyss. ALso reality TV shows give kids some ideals about life and a fatherly figure for them since the parents won't be around anyway.

Cartoons these days have A LOT more quality . Gone are the days that Ren & Stimpy poisened our children with crazy talk and wierd animation. Today the characters are more bland and relatable so our kids to have some role-models. The old Ghosbusters? Fuck them, today we have some extreme baddies that are sure not to confuse our children with political incorrrectness while fighting ghosts.

Man... TV today sure is awesome.

Labyrinth:
Oh wow. This is an impressive piece of Necromancy.

S.H.A.R.P.:
*snip*

Film is an illusion. The Fourth Wall between the acting and us is there even in news bulletins and celebrity angst. We don't look through the camera into the soul, as much as it might be a comfort to think of it like that. A pity that the general assumption is to stare slack-jawed.

Oh my, I didn't realise your post was made about six months ago! Glad I haven't lost the power to deal with otherworldly affairs!

And I have to say, nice comment below the quote. I can envision the drool dripping down the apathetic faces.

S.H.A.R.P.:
And I have to say, nice comment below the quote. I can envision the drool dripping down the apathetic faces.

The hoards of TV drones doth slouch across the world.. their acidic saliva dissolving pavements and wreaking havoc upon the supreme Gaming Master Race..

Oh wait.

While I'm intensely sceptical when it comes to television, I have to say that it's not all bad. Yes, there are any number of apathetic, drooling sheep just staring at the box and occasionally tapping the remote, there are people doing much the same in front of games. Those in glass houses should be careful where they leave their masonry.

Gaming may not be as bad, but we shouldn't delude ourselves that those effects don't occur in our preferred medium. We're just a smaller audience, and the stigma is far greater.

Well, comparing what i watched as a child, (Sooty, winne the pooh, magic roundabout etc) to the ones of today... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt9wteElPZI

Just plain creepy.
I'd say yes

Labyrinth:

S.H.A.R.P.:

The hoards of TV drones doth slouch across the world.. their acidic saliva dissolving pavements and wreaking havoc upon the supreme Gaming Master Race..

Oh wait.

While I'm intensely sceptical when it comes to television, I have to say that it's not all bad. Yes, there are any number of apathetic, drooling sheep just staring at the box and occasionally tapping the remote, there are people doing much the same in front of games. Those in glass houses should be careful where they leave their masonry.

Gaming may not be as bad, but we shouldn't delude ourselves that those effects don't occur in our preferred medium. We're just a smaller audience, and the stigma is far greater.

True, we might be sheep, but remember that we are considered to be black sheep. If we flock together, we do so knowing that we are different. Even though not everybody, plenty of us are sceptic enough, and scrutinise daily civilisation on a level that general couch wetters can't even imagine.

We can safely cling to our favoured mean of entertainment, while still remaining our humanity and individualism. Those couch wetters though, being the supposedly white sheep, would flock to their couch wetting role models. Sceptics in that society will be forced to leave their intended way of Escapism.

I think we are safe enough. As long as a medium like the Escapist doesn't disappear or gets invaded by the propaganda machine of mainstream media, I will be comfortable in the knowledge that like minded sceptics like me will be here, fighting for the cause of humanity, behind their desks with their beloved cup of coffee.

Yes, most of it. MTV should just be abolished for example (it doesn't play music anymore), and pretty much 90% of reality shows.
there is a lot of STUPID tv out there, most of its fake and/or retarded (involves idiots doing idiotic things to make the viewers feel better about being idiots themselves)

its sad

Brotherofwill:
Cartoons these days have A LOT more quality...
...Today the characters are more bland and relatable so our kids to have some role-models.

Serious? ._.
I suggest you look up Disney TV-series from the late 80's and early 90's
THAT is quality, I'd rather have my (hypothetical) young uns watch that than all the other shit that equals crap like modern kids' shows (many of the ones I think as crap features people in oversized stupid plush-suits...)

Fraeir:

Brotherofwill:
...Today the characters are more bland and relatable so our kids to have some role-models.

Serious? ._.
THAT is quality, I'd rather have my (hypothetical) young uns watch that than all the other shit that equals crap like modern kids' shows (many of the ones I think as crap features people in oversized stupid plush-suits...)

You didn't get it, eh?

Without a doubt. There are so many interactions between far-fetched characters on many shows - MTV, children's shows, reality shows, any that have determined personalities and rely on the interactions between them - that colour the unconcious into thinking that this is the way to act in such a situation rather than using personal reasoning.

MTV needs to burn, seriously.

I'll admit, T.V. messes with your imagination a bit.

No. The youth of today would be stupid even if they didn't have TV. When you were a part of the youth of yesteryear you were also stupid. Kids are just stupid. Anything you see targeted at kids is going to look like crap to you because you're not a kid anymore.
But I do think every show they have on Disney sucks, they're all just sitcoms about kids trying to get dates. We need Bill Nye the Science Guy again.

No. TV is not dumbing down todays youth. How do I phrase this nicely... Todays youth are a bunch of retarded, entitled, stuck up fucking brats. (oops, guess I failed there)
TV is there for me to watch, does that stop me picking up a book? No. The type of people who sit down and watch hour after hour of bad daytime soaps or reality tv are going to do nothing anyway. Take away TV and they would just get drunk and whore around and generally be a pain in the ass.
Besides, do you really think there were no useless dumb asses before TV came along?
I say again, take away the TV and they would find something else to waste time with and it would more than likly be drugs and/or alcohol.

I'd like to go out on a limb and say yes, TV is making us dumber, but not in the way that lots of people have stated here. I'm of the belief that the news and all those "expert" channels are making people believe everything they see and here. When someone turns on O'Reilly (sp?) and listens to him rant about one thing or another, they take that as the truth and as news.

CNN, FOX, MSNBC, all of them are biased and tell spins on every single story they sell to us. If everyone goes around believing it all, then they allow themselves to be twisted to the sellers whims. This all amounts to us not actually knowing anything, and going by what we're told. We don't question anymore, we just take it all in stride, like we're all apathetic. I am of the fortunate few who haven't really been affected by the crappy economy. If I had lost everything due to what some rich CEOs did, I'd be extremely pissed! I actually sit here and wonder why there haven't been riots or threats or anything else of the like, due to all the money that's been lost.

Most of the world has become a slave to the media, TV especially (because we all know you can't believe anything you read on the internet). It amazes me to this day that people just sit back and "hope" things will change.

The 'youth' were always dumb. Angry jaded adults will always say younger people are dumb for some reason. The 'kids these days' complaint probably will never end, and TV is just the new thing to blame it on. Without television, there is still propaganda. Without conservative news, there is still lying. Without reality TV, there is still gossip. It's not really all that different, as far as 'today's youth'. In fact, there is a higher number of not-stupid people these days. Otherwise, we wouldn't have four pages of cynical ranting about dumbing down the kids. :)

Brotherofwill:

Fraeir:

Brotherofwill:

Serious? ._.

You didn't get it, eh?

Actually no 8D I can already tell you that I'm very... VERY bad at getting sarcasm!
(Unless it's pointed out by the sarcastic person! This is in writing, though... It's easier in verbal conversations)

Fraeir:

Brotherofwill:

Fraeir:

Brotherofwill:

Serious? ._.

You didn't get it, eh?

Actually no 8D I can already tell you that I'm very... VERY bad at getting sarcasm!
(Unless it's pointed out by the sarcastic person! This is in writing, though... It's easier in verbal conversations)

Yea, maybe I should have exagerated a bit more.

God I'm glad I grew up in the 90s (as sad as that might sound), today's shows are worse than garbage.

Brotherofwill:
Yea, maybe I should have exagerated a bit more.

God I'm glad I grew up in the 90s (as sad as that might sound), today's shows are worse than garbage.

I'm just very bad at getting written sarcasm unless it's -very- obvious or stated xD;
But yeah, agreed!

I think that TV is both the cause and the result of the generally low intelligence level of people today (though especially kids/teenagers).

Intelligent TV shows get low ratings because people who don't understand them won't watch them. So their producers make intentionally "dumb" shows to get the ratings they want. The less intelligent masses say "ooh, I like this because I understand it and it is relevant to my interests". The dumb shows become the "cool" thing to know about, and suddenly smarter than average people watch the shows and lower their intellectual standards (and intelligence) in the process. Producers create (many) similar shows to maximize profit, thus perpetuating a cycle of society saying "this is cool" and the cool thing making people dumber.

In short, TV is making people dumb because they want to be dumb.

Darkside360:
MTV needs to burn, seriously.

Or go back to playing music. But then we'd also need to change the face of Pop music from celebrity popularity contests to genuinely good music. Shoot, that'll be the day...

I believe it is. Most of it is lame reality tv shows. And most people don't realize that stuff is also fabricated. It just lacks a decent script. What the television needs more of is Great Scripted televison. The scripted television shows aren't dumbing it down. It's the fact that the reality shows took over. And some of the Youth believe that if the Kardashians do things this way, then so should they. And that's where the problems develop.

harhol:
I honestly think that a lot of people who vent about reality TV and the decline of the human race have never watched any of the programs they apparently hate so much. Almost all MTV reality shows are intended to make the participants look naive, selfish and narcissistic--we, the audience, are supposed to be dumbfounded & entertained by the unbelievable actions of those in front of the camera. Why do you think 99% of the cast is made up of brainless valley girls and misogynistic alpha males? No-one is stupid enough to aspire to be like the kids on My Super Sweet 16 or Living on the Edge.

I've met my younger cousins, their friends, and even various kids in my school (High school) who idolize idiots like Kim Kardashian and want to be (on various ranges) like those kids on My Super Sweet 16. Obviously, it's not this way for everybody, but some people don't view it that way.

I voted No before reading the rant on MTV. In that context, yes MTV raises the level of stupidity in all who watch it.

Well i could answer that, but there is a show on tv i must whatch.

Its 6 American teenagers talking about how much school sucks while smoking weed and playing the drums with their own Grey matter.

Damn this is an old thread...

...you're asking this when American Idol is still on the air?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked