What is your emotional flashpoint?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

the December King:
Cruelty or abuse to animals is my trigger, and no rational argument can come from hearing about horrible acts committed on animals.

The people responsible should be killed. I'd say tortured and then killed, but thinking that they would associate their own predicament with their victims is giving them the grace of intellect and sympathy that, if they had in the first place, would have never resulted in such cruel acts being perpetrated on the innocent.

Yeah animal cruelty is mine too. I get angry at humans doing intentionally malicious things to other humans, but not to the same degree.

I'm absolutely rubbish with anything sad happening to animals (cruelty or otherwise). I avoid movies if they have dogs in them. No good can come of it.

Bellvedere:

the December King:
Cruelty or abuse to animals is my trigger, and no rational argument can come from hearing about horrible acts committed on animals.

The people responsible should be killed. I'd say tortured and then killed, but thinking that they would associate their own predicament with their victims is giving them the grace of intellect and sympathy that, if they had in the first place, would have never resulted in such cruel acts being perpetrated on the innocent.

Yeah animal cruelty is mine too. I get angry at humans doing intentionally malicious things to other humans, but not to the same degree.

I'm absolutely rubbish with anything sad happening to animals (cruelty or otherwise). I avoid movies if they have dogs in them. No good can come of it.

The rough thing about that for me is, as a rule, I love horror movies. But, the usual barometer for how 'serious' the situation in such movies is, is for an animal to get killed before the protagonists start to get offed. And depending on how that is treated, will often decide whether I like the movie.

Also, often people tell me that animals torture each other all of the time. And to them I say, aren't we 'supposed' to be better than that? Not that I believe we are better. But it is often the rhetoric used.

People attributing the good or bad deeds of people to their God or the Devil. For example when someone does something very heroic or noteworthy, people around where I live will like to say a phrase "That was God working through you." No lady, sorry, you don't get to coopt my actions to support your invisible person in the sky.

On the flipside, when they say things like "The Devil made them do it" and are serious. One example was I saw a poster online, in regards to the guy who had the 3 girls in his basement for a decade. She said that "The Devil kept them locked up for a decade, and God kept them safe!" Really? Oh well if it was the Devil responsible, then I guess we can let that guy go then huh? Also, if God kept them safe, why didn't he keep the multiple miscarriages safe when the guy punched them in the stomach?

It's unfounded, superstitious nonsense, that detracts from humanities achievements and tragedies, and it really annoys me to hear it.

the December King:

Bellvedere:

the December King:

The rough thing about that for me is, as a rule, I love horror movies. But, the usual barometer for how 'serious' the situation in such movies is, is for an animal to get killed before the protagonists start to get offed. And depending on how that is treated, will often decide whether I like the movie.

Also, often people tell me that animals torture each other all of the time. And to them I say, aren't we 'supposed' to be better than that?

Yeah, I can't watch Alien 3 because of THAT ONE scene...

It used to be things like rape; explicitly, child rape.

Nowadays, the child would have to be physically in front of me to care.

Animal cruelty was another one. Simply seeing a photo used to make me click.
Nowadays, I'd have to physically be placed in front of someone being cruel to animals for me to care.

Now that I think about it, there's nothing. No 'news' warrants any sort of emotional response from me.

Dunhart:

the December King:

Bellvedere:

Also, often people tell me that animals torture each other all of the time. And to them I say, aren't we 'supposed' to be better than that?

Yeah, I can't watch Alien 3 because of THAT ONE scene...

I know that scene, for sure - fortunately,there was an alternate filmed of the alien being born from an oxen that died from other reasons, so it was just a birth from a giant hunk of meat.

I have two biggies: false equivalencies and automatic contrarians. They're somewhat related/interwoven in that a lot of false equivalencies are generated by automatic contrarians.

An automatic contrarian is someone who flocks to a minority opinion for no reason other than (a sometimes stated but typically implied) exhaustion with the majority opinion. They don't have logical, rational, sensible, defensible reasons for their views. They simply want to go against the grain in order to appear exceptional. They want to be special snowflakes with radical ideas that stand out from the background. In a nutshell: their narcissistic desire for attention overrides their capacity for analytic thought. They'd rather be seen/heard and wrong than ignored and right.

False equivalencies occur whenever two things that are clearly different get lumped together for the sake of simplicity and/or personal gain. This often happens when someone has no leg to stand on in an argument and so he/she resorts to willfully ignoring obvious disparities between two opposing viewpoints in an attempt to reduce the debate to utter meaninglessness. It's a lazy, idiotic practice designed to obfuscate, derail, and destroy intelligent communication. Some examples: "Sony and Microsoft are the same because they both want your money"; "Republicans and Democrats are the same because they both take money, have scandals, etc."; "evolution and creationism are the same because they're both theories".

I am very passionate about feminism. Few things get me more pissed off than sexism and the anti-woman legislation Republicans keep proposing. Needless to say, I have to ignore a lot of Youtube comments and threads on this site, for the sake of my sanity

Draco Malfoy.

I get so mad, SO MAD, when Harry's trying to get shit done and Malfoys getting all up in his grill. Fuck you Draco Malfoy!

On a more serious note, a friend said the other day that she thought her country was one of the best in the world. This didn't so much anger me as make me completely baffled. In what way does one define one country as better than another? Is she saying that her people are just inherently superior to everyone else? As I say, I'm not annoyed, but at the same time I've had this on my mind for days and I just can't rationalise it. I blame the nationalistic education system myself.

So yeah, I suppose petty nationalism is a flashpoint for me.

I flash instantly when:

-People think Finland and it's government (My country) functions the same way as other governments, even though our political base, legal system and hars privacy laws (even police can not get to our private data (medical, financial)) without permission and informing the target (unless it is police investigation when they need to arrest before they can dig into that!)

-People who think Finland's culture is "European".

-When people think that A-sexuals just need to have sex in order to "get cured". Or that "A-sexuals do not exist" or are pretending.

-Religious people try to convert me or want to "pray" for me.

-People make fun of music without understanding music (By this I mean theory of music and orchestra construction)

-People think they know the answer to help or cure my severe neurological pain condition. With the most non-medical bullshit.

-When people make fun of my situation that I am in because of my sickness.

-Ignorant people who refuse to even acknowledge any other opinion (Sorry Americans you been guilty of this most by my experience)

Zhukov:
Police brutality.

Something about the idea of abuse of power coming from those who are granted exceptional legal status drives me nuts. I don't quite have the vocabulary to describe how furious I feel when I see videos of cops beating or tazing people.

It's one thing to feel angry. It's quite another to feel both angry and helpless.

Luckily the police where I come from are generally pretty good. All the cops I've personally dealt with were total pros. Although some of the stuff I've heard them say while off the clock gave me pause.

They are human too. Police officers and military personnel have their own jargon and humor. It might seem rude or outright inhumane but it is just their way of coping. As long as it doesn't affect their action on the clock just bear with them. They feel isolated enough from regular folks as it is.

I normally give up on debates before I start caring too much to make me angry. On the other hand, if I have a bad run while playing TF2, my rage hits unspeakable levels. That game just brings out the worst in me...

Okay, this is going to be a bit of a rant:

Anti-abortionists.

I am not going to call them pro-life because frankly they're generally not. Oh, they'll yack your ear off about how pro-life they are. Then they'll proclaim support for the death penalty, and how public healthcare is akin to fascism. They also tend to support wars and other things which are most definitely not pro-life.

That however, is not the main problem I have with this position. The main problem I have is that while they are all for getting teary eyed about embryos that haven't the consciousness of your average brain dead flea, they don't give a fart in a thunderstorm about the woman who they expect to pump the baby out.

Religious abusers

I am pretty anti-religion. I think religion is bad for people, but then so are a lot of things people do and I'm not about to ban fast food, drinking and listening to Justin Bieber.

But I have a special place in my hate for religious people who use it to abuse others. I'm talking about the likes of Michael and Debbie Pearl advocating beating obedience into children, I'm talking about preachers in Nigeria telling parents their kid is a witch, I'm talking about the Catholic Church's long history of covering up child abuse, I'm talking about cult leaders who use their position to have sex with underage girls.

I'm talking about people who are invested with a position that makes them moral arbiters of right and wrong who use it for nothing more than to harm others and benefit themselves.

And on that note...

Supernatural bullshit on documentary channels

If you run a documentary on how exorcisms are real, you do not get to sneer at parents who end up killing their child in an exorcism.

secretkeeper12:
Whenever I see people dismissing human life of any worth, I get pretty heated. The sheer amount of narcissism, cognitive dissonance, cynical delusion, and arrogance these privileged introverts (and yes, they're ALWAYS privileged introverts) makes me pretty mad. Bonus points if they're an objectivist or misanthrope.

Seeing bigotry of any form also rubs me the wrong way. I'm talking about so called "acceptable targets", such as pedophiles (NOT THE SAME THING AS CHILD RAPE!), necrophilies or those that practice bestiality (though if you believe animals are equal to humans I understand the last one)

Atheists who lost their belief due to some personal tragedy. You THINK you're rejecting an unjust God, but you're really just highlighting how selfish you are. People have suffered MUCH WORSE than you have, both today and throughout history. But their tragedies are okay, since it doesn't affect YOU, does it? Once you have to experience loss, though, suddenly you're crying out against this creators obvious hate of you. If there is a God, the fact that he lets self-centered people like you suffer proves he must be just.

For the record, I'm an atheist who reluctantly came to this conclusion after my beliefs lost one too many intellectual all arguments. Of course, I didn't WANT to lose faith, because I actually had concern for the millions of people who have been oppressed and lived terrible lives. Religion was the only hope they had, and having to accept it was a lost cause was a very depressing experience. When some narcissistic asshole so easily gives up on this one hope for humanity because their gravy train came to end, you bet I'm gonna be passed.

Ratties:

Angie7F:
I dont really have one.
Wait, people posting about marriage and kids.
I think it is those menial stuff that people take for granted that really make other people feel bad about them selves.
So anyone who does not think twice about posting about their pregnancy/ marriage/ promotion pisses me off.

This shit runs rampant on Facebook. The only time it pisses me off is when they constantly have to update it. If they just post one comment on there along the lines of "my boyfriend proposed today, so happy." Then I can let it slide. When they go on the warpath with it, posting comment after comment about it, I just want to scream. Nobody really gives a fuck in the first place, just accept it and move on.

No one cares that this annoys you, either, yet you felt compelled to make this comment. It's relevant in this discussions cards next, true, but so is newlyweds celebrating on Facebook.

Blatant hypocrisy like this also bugs me.

Of course nobody cares that it would annoy the other person. Why did you even bother to mention that? It's like a neighbor who blasts loud music. Is he really going to sit there and think, maybe other people don't want to hear this. I can't believe you even bothered to point that out, am I on Youtube.

When people use really, really stupid anti-LGBT arguments. You know the kind; the kind of stuff that's clearly something an anti-gay person made up afterwards to retroactively justify his animosity towards gay relationships.

Atheists who lost their belief due to some personal tragedy. You THINK you're rejecting an unjust God, but you're really just highlighting how selfish you are. People have suffered MUCH WORSE than you have, both today and throughout history. But their tragedies are okay, since it doesn't affect YOU, does it? Once you have to experience loss, though, suddenly you're crying out against this creators obvious hate of you. If there is a God, the fact that he lets self-centered people like you suffer proves he must be just.

This, is a pretty dumb argument.

There are people suffering worse than you, therefore if God exists he's just?

Stingy people. It's ok to save every cent if your bank account is low, but some people are stingy with no reason at all. My girlfriend had a friend that would charge her the same as a bus fare everytime she gave her a ride, justifying that a car has costs like fuel, oil, tires. For fucks sake, the cheapest car here costs almost 40x the minimum wage. If you have one, money is not a immediate problem for sure. Sell the damn thing if you are at the point of charging anyone who enters the car.

It's ok to give a ride to coworkers and split the costs, good for everyone and all, but this girl would make things like invite you to go out somewhere and then say "well, I can give you a ride, if you pay $1,50". It was like she was trying to pay all her costs by inviting people to go somewhere and then charging them. What the fuck... I'm a car owner and never would do such a thing.

My explosion generally happens when those people try to justify saying things "life ain't easy!", like if they are miserable people on the verge of homelessness.

Therarchos:

Zhukov:
Police brutality.

Something about the idea of abuse of power coming from those who are granted exceptional legal status drives me nuts. I don't quite have the vocabulary to describe how furious I feel when I see videos of cops beating or tazing people.

It's one thing to feel angry. It's quite another to feel both angry and helpless.

Luckily the police where I come from are generally pretty good. All the cops I've personally dealt with were total pros. Although some of the stuff I've heard them say while off the clock gave me pause.

They are human too. Police officers and military personnel have their own jargon and humor. It might seem rude or outright inhumane but it is just their way of coping. As long as it doesn't affect their action on the clock just bear with them. They feel isolated enough from regular folks as it is.

Funny you should mention military personal. The people I was thinking of were both, police officers who were also army reservists.

They were eagerly anticipating the opportunity to taze someone. Preferably a protestor. Preferably a hippie-looking type. When I asked one of them why he'd signed up his response was, "I wanted to be able to defend my country by shooting ragheads."

"They are human too". "Humor and jargon". Phht.

I take your point about it not affecting their actions on the clock and I agree. But with attitudes like that, they can get isolated to hell and back for all I care. Fuck 'em.

People who waste food. I mean honestly, why would someone throw away nourishment that they (probably) paid for? Either save it for later, or give it to someone who will actually eat it!

I hate it when people take a strong opinion on something, try to force that opinion on someone else, but refuse to take steps to understand the opposing viewpoint.

You can see this in topics such as abortion, gun control, or entitlement programs. In an argument or discussion, if you can't be bothered to try and understand (you don't have to agree, just understand) the arguments and facts presented by someone who believes differently than yourself, I think you should just keep quiet. It's great to have conflicting opinions and beliefs, as long as some effort has been put forth examining and understanding the other side.

getting physically lost (which is easy since I have no sense of direction). It induces table flipping rage.

blind hatred/loyalty to a group. People who don't at least try to see the other side and refuse to compromise.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked