Castlevania on Netflix

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I just watched season 1 of Castlevania on Netflix, all four 23min episodes of it. It is a good thing it is getting a season 2, because seriously even by anime standards that is not very much.

I was of course skeptical about the series, but it actually turned out great. It is full of action and decent writing/acting. It also turned out to be funny, in a good way, and it totally didn't need to be. I want more of it, and Castlevania in general since it's been forever since before Lords of Shadow killed it and Konami has been dancing on the corpse.

Some possible criticisms may come from one joke in particular which kind of becomes a running gag within those 4 episodes

but I doubt that will comprise much of future episodes. Or it could end up being the main antagonist in a shocking twist.

The actual animation is decent enough, and I could only dream of a similar series for Shadowhearts or Metroid.

Did anyone else like it?

I remember people complaining that the show will be a grimdark Game of Thrones like tone and one guy told me he prefered it to be a self aware comedy :P

Glad I am hearing a positive reception of this.

Seeing the first episode oh my they sure made Dracula quite "handsome"

Has there ever been an adaption where Dracula looks exactly like his book description?

And yes I know Castlevania is based on the games but still I never seen any portrayal of Dracula that looks like the Old Man above.

And I just found out Dwalin is voicing Dracula and Thorin Oakenshield is voicing Trevor Belmont.

Ok seriously I am not digging Trevor Belmont's charcater. He reminds me too much of the typical anime Shounen Jump protaginist:

Likes to Eat (and drink booze in this case) has a "don't give a shit" attitude and seems to not care about how dire the situation is.

Can we have a grim badass that at least cares about the little people. I mean even Geralt is nicer than this.

I mean if anything he reminds me of a less angry, more sarcastic Inuyasha or someone along those lines.

Samtemdo8:

Has there ever been an adaption where Dracula looks exactly like his book description?

And yes I know Castlevania is based on the games but still I never seen any portrayal of Dracula that looks like the Old Man above.

And I just found out Dwalin is voicing Dracula and Thorin Oakenshield is voicing Trevor Belmont.

Didn't Dracula look younger and more handsome once he got to London, and (presumably) started feeding more regularly?

twistedmic:

Samtemdo8:

Didn't Dracula look younger and more handsome once he got to London, and (presumably) started feeding more regularly?

From what I thought, his older form is his natural real form, the young and handsome look he had in London was basically a disguise.

It was good enough, and I was pleasantly surprised that they decided to base it on Castlevania 3, though that does make me wonder if they will do Rondo of Blood and then Symphony of the Night.

As for Trevor, I liked him, that's pretty much the attitude that he should have at that point in time and I like that he gets to become better by sobering up and accepting his responsibilities, nothing particularly original or surprising but then again the Belmonts have never been all that complicated in the games, I just hope that for next season they don't make Alucard the main character, after all, it is Castlevania 3, Trevor's story not Alucard's he should get his chance to shine on the Symphony of the Night which is hundreds of years after Trevor's death and even then after Ricter's story, I personally think it's fine they skipped Simon, that way he can remain the mythical figure that managed to defeat Dracula twice, after all people would complain about his characterization even though he had close to 0, but let's be honest almost no one remembers Trevor and he was only in Castlevania 3 and had an extremely brief cameo and mention on Symphony of the Night.

In any case, it was decent, it wasn't fantastic but for a long time Castlevania fan starved for more Castlevania it was more than good enough and well, here's hoping for the next season and that they don't fuck it up.

A huge caveat though, they didn't use any of the music, not even Bloody Tears or Vampire Killer, that is hugely disappointing.

So this show is essentially an adaption of Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse.

All the charcaters from that game are here:

Trevor Belmont
Sypha Belnades
and Alucard

All that is missing is Grant Danasty unless he's cut out of the show.

The creator or creators of the show clearly must be big fans of the 3RD NES game.

Kaleion:
It was good enough, and I was pleasantly surprised that they decided to base it on Castlevania 3, though that does make me wonder if they will do Rondo of Blood and then Symphony of the Night.

As for Trevor, I liked him, that's pretty much the attitude that he should have at that point in time and I like that he gets to become better by sobering up and accepting his responsibilities, nothing particularly original or surprising but then again the Belmonts have never been all that complicated in the games, I just hope that for next season they don't make Alucard the main character, after all, it is Castlevania 3, Trevor's story not Alucard's he should get his chance to shine on the Symphony of the Night which is hundreds of years after Trevor's death and even then after Ricter's story, I personally think it's fine they skipped Simon, that way he can remain the mythical figure that managed to defeat Dracula twice, after all people would complain about his characterization even though he had close to 0, but let's be honest almost no one remembers Trevor and he was only in Castlevania 3 and had an extremely brief cameo and mention on Symphony of the Night.

In any case, it was decent, it wasn't fantastic but for a long time Castlevania fan starved for more Castlevania it was more than good enough and well, here's hoping for the next season and that they don't fuck it up.

A huge caveat though, they didn't use any of the music, not even Bloody Tears or Vampire Killer, that is hugely disappointing.

Isn't Castlevania 3 a prequal to the Simon Belmont Castlevania games? Simon Belmont is not even born yet in Trevor's time.

Samtemdo8:

Kaleion:

Isn't Castlevania 3 a prequal to the Simon Belmont Castlevania games? Simon Belmont is not even born yet in Trevor's time.

That is actually correct, I forgot because well it's been a while since I played it and I forgot the text crawl, regardless Simon's story isn't really fit for a series, because it's just non-stop action, he doesn't even have a supporting cast, don't get me wrong I love Simon but a lot would have to be changed to make his story into a good show.

Kaleion:

Samtemdo8:

Kaleion:

That is actually correct, I forgot because well it's been a while since I played it and I forgot the text crawl, regardless Simon's story isn't really fit for a series, because it's just non-stop action, he doesn't even have a supporting cast, don't get me wrong I love Simon but a lot would have to be changed to make his story into a good show.

Since this is Castlevania 3, I wonder if the final confrantation against Dracula will him the man turn into this:

Samtemdo8:

Since this is Castlevania 3, I wonder if the final confrantation against Dracula will him the man turn into this:

I don't think they'll use that design as so far they don't seem to care much for the games monster designs which, to be honest, is highly disappointing, however Dracula has a Demonic form in most Castlevania games including Symphony of the Night which is the one the creator's of the show seem to favour, so it is likely he'll have a demonic form.

Kaleion:

I agree to most of what you are saying. I really love the miniseries and wish they had made more episodes. I know they're greenlit for a second season, but I felt that they should have had more time to least have more episodes for one season. Series for Simon Belmont, I honestly do not mind. If not they can jump straight to Rondo of Blood, then Symphony of the Night, and maybe Bloodlines. Speaking of Simon, I think design-wise; it should be a cross between his original design and is Castlevania Chronicles design.

I thought it was well done, but do feel a bit miffed that it's pretty much only leads up to the "Press Start to Play!" part of the game. Not that I minded the backstories, but I just didn't want ONLY the backstory and nothing else for a year or however long it takes them to do season 2. Animation is well done. I thought I read it was done all in house in Austin Texas, so that's impressive if that's true. Definitely focused on the detail side rather then smoothness. Though I will say the cyclops and Alucard fights were impressive. Speaking of Alucard's, I loved his dynamic with Trevor Belmont. It's a pity that it's only a half of an episodes worth. Glad they are keeping true to his SotN look with him being overly pretty. Also, maybe it was just me but the sound mix was way off. The characters voices were entirely too quiet.

So here's my hope for season 2:

Get to the god damn castle already.

IMO remove Grant. I'm not sure how to involve a pirate/acrobat at this point, but maybe they can come up with something creative.

Get some nudity going. Dudity. Lewdity. Doesn't really matter, but American animation is sorely lacking in good ol' fashioned nakedness.

Get some form of the original soundtrack incorporated. The whispers on the net is that Konami isn't letting Netflix use them, but I'm putting my hope that they are just waiting for the castle.

That's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

So... Will we see an adaptation of Aria of Sorrow?

I'd like it to go through the entire timeline from dracula's curse onwards.

It was alright.

Environment design is gorgeous, but the character design is downright ugly. I know that in animation you do the characters and the environment separately, but c'mon, it shouldn't look like you photoshopped your characters on top of your backgrounds.

P.S.: How can you adapt Castlevania and not feature a single one of the songs? I hope they fix this in the second season.

CoCage:

Kaleion:

I agree to most of what you are saying. I really love the miniseries and wish they had made more episodes. I know they're greenlit for a second season, but I felt that they should have had more time to least have more episodes for one season. Series for Simon Belmont, I honestly do not mind. If not they can jump straight to Rondo of Blood, then Symphony of the Night, and maybe Bloodlines. Speaking of Simon, I think design-wise; it should be a cross between his original design and is Castlevania Chronicles design.

I don't know about going with the Chronicles Redesign, he's a bit too pretty and looks more like bondage fetishist than a warrior, I think they should keep him pretty but go with a more barbaric design more akin to a middle ground between the original design and the more modern ones, I don't think I'd like the Chronicles design to show up.

I saw my roommate/housemate watching it with his wife and thought it looked good enough to check out.

Was pretty darn right, I loved it. My only complaint is that it was too damn short.

The action was stylish as hell, the dialogue was fantstic, it was oozing with amazing lines, and it wasn't afraid to have moment that made me laugh my ass off to contrast the otherwise grimdark world.

I just finished watching it and, even though I've never really been into Castlevania, I really quite liked it. Although I kinda sympathize with Dracula.

I must give this a look then. I haven't really played Castlevania outside of the hack and slash ones on the PS3 (maybe PS4) around my mate's but I like anime and vampires.

I liked the Seven Deadly Sins anime but they seemed to release 4 more episodes in Season 2 and then stop.

I like it so far. Pretty grimdark at times[1], but with enough light-hearted and comedic moments to prevent it becoming dreary.

The animation and designs are pretty ok. Clearly anime-esque, but not overly so (for example, women have actual noses). Alucard, Sypha and Dracula look good. The monster mooks are a bit on the boring side tho. Where's my bone-throwing skellingtons? My medusa heads? Then again, they might show up later.

Trevor Belmont's design tho? Not feeling it, but that's probably because at first sight I thought he looked like a scruffier Squall from FFVIII. And now I can't unsee that.

Overall a pretty decent package. One major downside is no Castlevania music. They got the all the rights except the music? Darn shame. Whatever music is there is ... actually, I can't remember any of it. Wanna know what I would've remembered? Bloody Tears or Vampire Killer. Also, only 4 episodes? Netflix and/or Konami not feeling confident or something?

[1] I mean, it shows a child getting splattered against a wall. It's small and brief, but that's still brutal, even by Netflix standards

i liked it, the animation was nice and i liked the small touches of humor they injected as the show went on.

Just finished it. Thought it was pretty damn good!

A little better pacing needed, a little more combat, and I'll be happy with (a longer) S2.

QuiteEnjoyed2016:
I must give this a look then. I haven't really played Castlevania outside of the hack and slash ones on the PS3 (maybe PS4) around my mate's but I like anime and vampires.

I liked the Seven Deadly Sins anime but they seemed to release 4 more episodes in Season 2 and then stop.

Off topic- the 4 episodes of seven deadly sins are meant to bridge season 1 and 2 together, as they were not sure how popular it would be and whether a 2nd season would be made.

I was quite pleased with the show, with my only real gripe being that the show is paced unevenly for it's length. It would have been acceptable in a ten episode series, but for 4 episodes, I feel like not a lot happened. It's basically a movie as it stands, so I'm glad it's getting another 8 episodes. I'd honestly love to see them adapt the whole goofy timeline if the popularity holds.

I liked Trevor quite a bit - that sort of broken hero, kicked out of the country by the people he was sworn to protect - but his turn around came a bit too soon for how gruff and angry he started off. "I don't care" being his catchphrase amused me, I dunno. A much better character than the tool he was in Curse of Darkness or (ick) Judgement. It was also pretty cool that he fought Alucard in the show the same way he fought him in the game, but also pretty weird to think about when you consider Lords of Shadow rolled Trevor and Alucard up into the same character.

Over all, I think the only thing that would really push it over the top for me is some renditions of the classic Castlevania music; the battle between Alucard and Trevor would have been a great moment to drop in Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears. Also, a bit more variety with the monsters. I don't think I saw any of the baddies I've been cursing at for years in this... I mean, no skeletons? C'mooooon.

Chimpzy:
Trevor Belmont's design tho? Not feeling it, but that's probably because at first sight I thought he looked like a scruffier Squall from FFVIII. And now I can't unsee that.

Scarytown:

Chimpzy:

Cannot... unsee... damn... you...!

*head explodes*

I thought the show was pretty damn good. They had a nice setup, introduced Belmont in a neat little way, and the action was satisfying to say the least. It's left me with high hopes for more of the series in the future.
It's also nice to see Netflix changing up their run of CGI-made animes lately.

I must say I really liked the series as well, which is hopeful as I'm a long time Castlevania diehard.
Speaking of which, hey Konami? when are we gonna get a new one of these? The demand is there, and the last Castlevania game was... what Order of Ecclesia back in 2008? (I know there have been games since...but...)

Sheo_Dagana:

Scarytown:

Cannot... unsee... damn... you...!

*head explodes*

Ikr. I'm starting to regret ever having mentioned it.

AgnosticMessiah:
Speaking of which, hey Konami? when are we gonna get a new one of these? The demand is there, and the last Castlevania game was... what Order of Ecclesia back in 2008? (I know there have been games since...but...)

Shhhh, or Konami will release another pachinko machine, or maybe a zombie shooter[1]

[1] Granted, slightly more appropriate for Castlevania than it is for f'ing Metal Gear Solid.

AgnosticMessiah:
I must say I really liked the series as well, which is hopeful as I'm a long time Castlevania diehard.

They're still trying to figure out how they can keep avoiding 1999 while dealing with the fact nobody likes Lords of Shadow(which doesn't play into the plot anyway).

Maybe they'll just remake the first game yet again....this time as a pachinko machine.

Dalisclock:

Maybe they'll just remake the first game yet again....this time as a pachinko machine.

...well, it'll probably make it easier to get through at least. :(

One thing I'd say about it, four episodes isnt a proper series.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here