League of Legends - Soon you'll be a monster, too

Pages PREV 1 2

Tenmar:
I'm shocked you didn't criticize the IP/RP system. Really glossed over that which is really one of the cons of the game. As a closed beta player and playing since the game was playable on live I have played EVERYDAY for the past 4 years and I still don't have every champ unlocked.

Are you kidding? League's free to play model is literally the best use of it I've ever seen. Keep in mind, Riot DOES want to entice you to spend money because this is the real world, so yes, unlocking every single one with in game currency is bound to be a herculean task, but none of the content that effects gameplay is barred off, and if you keep your eyes on the goal you can easily save up for whatever champion you want. Also waiting for them to go on rotation will let you play as them and get an idea of whether you'll like them or not before you buy. It never forces you to spend money. You spend money in league either as a shortcut or to buy something flashy and unnecessary.

OT: I could probably write essays on why league is full of horrible angry people but the short version of it is it's agame built around teamwork and you're paired with strangers whom you have no respect for and vice versa.

Guitarmasterx7:

Tenmar:
I'm shocked you didn't criticize the IP/RP system. Really glossed over that which is really one of the cons of the game. As a closed beta player and playing since the game was playable on live I have played EVERYDAY for the past 4 years and I still don't have every champ unlocked.

Are you kidding? League's free to play model is literally the best use of it I've ever seen. Keep in mind, Riot DOES want to entice you to spend money because this is the real world, so yes, unlocking every single one with in game currency is bound to be a herculean task, but none of the content that effects gameplay is barred off, and if you keep your eyes on the goal you can easily save up for whatever champion you want. Also waiting for them to go on rotation will let you play as them and get an idea of whether you'll like them or not before you buy. It never forces you to spend money. You spend money in league either as a shortcut or to buy something flashy and unnecessary.

Barring access from champions simply makes it so your community is unskilled with a large portion of them and that any pick from the free-week champion pool will probably be someone who is going to feed. Heck, there's even idiots that do first-time picks in ranked.

lapan:

The Wykydtron:

The thing with Annie is she probably doesn't need any health taking a GP on full health to her half if she has her ult. She can just cast Stun Bear and you can't even respond in time before you get melted. Yet nobody plays her. Odd.

GP is probably a bad example seeing as he can just eat an orange and remove the stun.

That and her initial combo really isn't that strong on the tankier characters. Unless you do some nonsense like crit GP.

The Wykydtron:
Also FUCK Blitzcrank. Whoever designed that disgusting robot needs to be shot. You could have the WORST possible Blitzcrank on the team, he lands one lucky grab later on and he has literally won them the game singlehandedly. Pun not intended.

I present you with Pudge

Not only is his hook (literally, hook) much longer range than Mr. Bleepbloop's fist, it can also hook allies. Yeah, you read that right. Allies.

The trade off is that it's actually harder to hit. Anyone half decent can consistantly hit a blitz hook, just by psyching out the juke, and then grabbing them.

Disclaimer: I play both LoL and DotA, but I play LoL more, as I enjoy it more, and am better at it. Over 500 Ranked games say what?

Tenmar:
I'm shocked you didn't criticize the IP/RP system. Really glossed over that which is really one of the cons of the game. As a closed beta player and playing since the game was playable on live I have played EVERYDAY for the past 4 years and I still don't have every champ unlocked. Yes, I did put a lot of IP into runes however I don't own every rune either. Meaning that the amount of grinding one must do in order to unlock all champions and content for an optimal playstyle(to which I have played with pro players and other well known community members such as Stonewall008) is simply impossible for an average player. That really hurts new players because you will never be able to short of investing a lot of actual money to catch up to your fellow players.

Not to mention the fact that people love to abuse the report function. Did you know that the tribunal is currently at an 80% punish rate? One main reason for this is that despite removing the carrot of actual IP per judgement(which was flawed because it rewarded peer pressure) was replaced with another carrot which reinforced a person's ego and actually focused on making a player feel good about the number of correct cases and permabans their account has issued. Which when you take a step back the people who participate in that system are actually hurting their fellow hobbyists who also enjoy the game.

EDIT: Let me be a bit positive towards the OP. Your review is well organized and aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. However I should also ask this, why don't you utilize this platform and also take your written reviews and have them also be on your own personal blog. After all this is towards creating a portfolio to which you could possibly utilize towards apply for a career.

Of course, abusing the report function does almost nothing (Since multiple false reports lower your priority in the system), and only the top 1% of all people reported (reported 20-30 times a piece) ever make it to the Tribunal, and that STILL isn't even a guaranteed ban.

Larcenist:
The thing with League in its current state is that Riot, with season 3, wanted to open up a more diverse item gameplay. They said they really wanted to create several different starting paradigms which they succeeded quite well with, only to then nerf every single one of these. They first had the Flask start, though this one really did require a nerf since it was way too cheap. With flask nerfed there was the 9-12 pots and wards start, which will be nerfed with an upper limit of 5 for pots. Next we had the Fort Pot start that is getting a nerf as well with the cost increase of said pot.

So in the end we will basically be back to a few goto starting paradigms, the complete opposite of what they wanted to begin with.

ParanoidEngineer:
I don't suppose whilst we're on the subject of LoL someone could reccomend a hero to start with? I play a lot of DotA (don't hate me) and mainly play carries, junglers or mid heroes. I like the look of Draven (because Destiny plays him so y'know he must be pretty awesome) and Teemo because I'm a sucker for cute bunny creatures.

If you by "carries" mean AD carries then I'd recommend (as an ADC player myself) Caitlyn if you wish for a really strong and fun champion with tons of nifty tricks, Vayne for the hard carry type that's also fun to play and allows for quite some big plays or Miss Fortune who in season 3 could be called the "easy mode ADC".

As for junglers, if you want to have tons of fun, Volibear or Vi. If you just want to be way too strong, Xin Zhao.

I'm probably the worst mid player on EUW so I wouldn't take my word for anything mid related, but Ryze is a pretty strong AP champion, while Zed/Kha'zix works most of the time as well.

MF is easy mode? As someone who has played her since the day she came out (And her Ult could farm Lizard from center lane... good times), she is NOT easy. No escape, very little CC, and an Ult that requires great positioning against any team with CC. I'd say Cait is much easier.

OT: I like the game, but honestly, I play against people in ARAMs, and then goof around with the bots. Solo Queue is awful, ranked is worse, and most of my friends have abandoned the game for greener, less rage-inducing pastures.

ParanoidEngineer:
I don't suppose whilst we're on the subject of LoL someone could reccomend a hero to start with? I play a lot of DotA (don't hate me) and mainly play carries, junglers or mid heroes. I like the look of Draven (because Destiny plays him so y'know he must be pretty awesome) and Teemo because I'm a sucker for cute bunny creatures.

Yeah, don't touch Draven yet. He's probably the hardest ADC to play other than Vayne. Hell, I've got over 2000 games under my belt, and I still can't quite get the hang of his axe juggling bullshit, despite the fact that I am more than proficient with every other ADC.

I started with Ezreal and Morgana, which means I'm quite good at skillshots, but I wouldn't recommend starting with Ez either. Too many variables you can miss as a new guy.

Morgana's probably your best bet. Level your W (AOE damage over time spell) to level three in lane, so that it kills the caster minions outright, and do your best to outfarm the opponents. Farm wins games.

If you're playing Morg, follow this.

Q>W>E>W>W>R, After which prioritise your bind (Q), with the occasional point in your shield (E) if you are falling behind.

As far as building goes...

Start with two fairie charms and 3 health potions. Your passive provides you with spell vamp, which means that as you deal damage with spells, you regain a percentage of the damage as health, so that AOE on the minions to farm will also be giving you health.

Then build a Chalice of Harmony, and Boots of Speed, before rushing a Catalyst the Protector, which will be built into a Rod of Ages as soon as possible. Then follow this.

Fairie Charm x 2 + HP pots x 3 > Boots of Speed > Catalyst the Protector > Rod of Ages > Sorcerers Shoes > Zhonya's Hourglass > Rabadon's Deathcap > Rylai's Crystal Scepter > Athene's Unholy Grail

Don't forget to use the active ability on the hourglass when you're in trouble.

Have fun! =D

NameIsRobertPaulson:
-Snippy snip snip-

MF isn't easy mode, but Cait's actually about as difficult. The difference in impact between a decent Cait and a good Cait is astonishing (Read: Using the fucking snaptraps properly). In reality, none of the ADCs are truly easy mode. They all have the hardest job in teamfights, and are the highest priority target.

You want easy mode? Play Kayle or Xin Zhao.

KaosuHamoni:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
-Snippy snip snip-

MF isn't easy mode, but Cait's actually about as difficult. The difference in impact between a decent Cait and a good Cait is astonishing (Read: Using the fucking snaptraps properly). In reality, none of the ADCs are truly easy mode. They all have the hardest job in teamfights, and are the highest priority target.

Cait has almost everything MF has, but better. Her Q is longer range with more damage and a higher ratio. Her W gives her map presence and CC, while MF gets a nerfed heal reduction and a partial attack speed buff, Cait's E can be used to escape, and can slow, better than a .5 second slow over an area, and her Ult gets refunded if it doesn't go off, while MF has to wait the full 120 seconds if hers is stopped at any point, even if canceled by the player on accident.

The dizzying damage from that ult is the only reason I play MF (that's and she's just a cool character).

One complaint about league and characters: WHOEVER CHANGED KAT'S LORE NEEDS TO BE BEATEN WITH A TIRE IRON UNTIL THEY HAVE TO EAT THROUGH A STRAW FOR THE REST OF THEIR DAYS.

It's like 50 Shades of Grey, but with characters people care about.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

KaosuHamoni:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
-Snippy snip snip-

Cait has almost everything MF has, but better. Her Q is longer range with more damage and a higher ratio. Her W gives her map presence and CC, while MF gets a nerfed heal reduction and a partial attack speed buff, Cait's E can be used to escape, and can slow, better than a .5 second slow over an area, and her Ult gets refunded if it doesn't go off, while MF has to wait the full 120 seconds if hers is stopped at any point, even if canceled by the player on accident.

The dizzying damage from that ult is the only reason I play MF (that's and she's just a cool character).

If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing as MF (Kiting like a motherfucker and abusing her passive, then one hitting the team with your ult), then it's exactly the same difficulty.

MF's Q Hits two people, and the second for a higher amount than the first. Cait's hits multiple, with diminishing results per additional target hit. It's also a skillshot, so damn right it does slightly more damage than a point and click targeted ability, and not only that but Cait's Q has a significantly higher channelling time than MF's, and MF's provides onhit effects. It also gives MF higher straight up burst in lane.

MF's W passive gives a surprising amount of additional damage, whereas Cait's is very easy to just walk around. People are just negligent. The true use of it is to keep people off you (Peel for yourself) when you're in a teamfight. Also, Cait has no steroid outside of her passive, whereas MF gets both parts of her W.

MF's E can be used to give vision of a bush, chase people down, and prevent people from getting to her, thereby prolonging her passive, allowing her to kite harder. Cait's E acts as a hard gapcloser/escape with walljump. This ability is the sole reason she's such a good duellist vs other ADCs. I'll give you this one...

...But then we have the ults. MF's deals a ridiculous amount of AOE damage to an entire team, in multiple procs, meaning that you can buy a cleaver (Read: SHOULD be buying a cleaver) and basically make their armour null and VOID _

Cait's is a high range, single target, blockable nuke which is only good in a 1v1 situation, or in cleanup. It has almost zero use in a teamfight, because while you spend 2 seconds channelling that shit, you're not autoing, reducing your overall dps.

General consensus is that Caitlyn is ridiculously easy. She really isn't, she's just easier to pick up than some other ADCs... Just like MF. To play either of them well, you need an intricate knowledge of exactly what they can do in every situation, and the only reason I have that with Cait is because I played nothing but her from level 15 up until way beyond level 30. Possibly until I had 400 wins. I'd say, in fact, that maybe a quarter of all my games played, are with Caitlyn.

Neither of them are "Easy Mode".

Edit: You say nerfed heal reduction, but giving an ADC heal reduction as part of a skill is a big thing. Remember that it essentially cuts the enemy ADCs lifesteal in half in a duel, meaning that MF should be able to outsustain them.

Edit V2: Oh, and I forgot to mention that Cait's ult is only refunded if the shot didn't fire. If it did, then it gets put on cooldown.

The problem with LoL as opposed to Dota is that

Runes/Masteries are arbitrary and detract from the competitive nature: They in effect allow an outside influence to enter what should be a controlled environment. They're also mostly cookie cutter anyway so what's the point of giving me the option when 95% of the runes and 60% of the masteries are not appropriate for me regardless of the champion I play?

Item choices are strait forward and boring: I have one way of building my AD carry, one way and one way only, I never ever have a reason for changing how I itemize, because everything else is simply a sub-par choice.

Lane set up is stagnant: one top, one mid, two bot, one jungle. The only time this ever changes is if you want two top for some reason (It typically doesn't end well.) If your ADC goes ANYWHERE but bot, you're screwed there is also almost never more than one ADC. The only time this ever changes is if you have someone like Twitch or Fiora in your jungle.

In Dota2 you just see a lot more variety, and your item choices are more based around the situation you're in than the hero you're playing, you also don't need to pay for heroes, they are all unlocked, which means you are capable of practicing with and "mastering" each and every champion without having to circumnavigate a pay wall.

Guitarmasterx7:

Tenmar:

Are you kidding? League's free to play model is literally the best use of it I've ever seen.

As opposed to Dota which charges you nothing for it's actual content? Hell the game even spits out cosmetics for you. Just what definition of "better" or "best" are we judging by here?

KaosuHamoni:

ParanoidEngineer:

Yeah, don't touch Draven yet. He's probably the hardest ADC to play other than Vayne. Hell, I've got over 2000 games under my belt, and I still can't quite get the hang of his axe juggling bullshit, despite the fact that I am more than proficient with every other ADC.

Strange you say that, I've played about fifteen games as Draven and won all of them with a 2:1 k/d at least most of the time. The axe-catching is actually pretty easy I find, and I love dodging around the map grabbing axes and killing heroes with incredible style and finesse. His second skill makes for pretty sick chase-down ganks (helped by the axes landing in your path as you run), his third skill helps in teamfights pretty nicely, and the ultimate is hilarious fun when you get a cross-map kill and feel like a boss. I dunno, I'm not the best LoL player in the world (quite the opposite in fact :D) but Draven and me seem to click.

ParanoidEngineer:

KaosuHamoni:

ParanoidEngineer:

Strange you say that, I've played about fifteen games as Draven and won all of them with a 2:1 k/d at least most of the time. The axe-catching is actually pretty easy I find, and I love dodging around the map grabbing axes and killing heroes with incredible style and finesse. His second skill makes for pretty sick chase-down ganks (helped by the axes landing in your path as you run), his third skill helps in teamfights pretty nicely, and the ultimate is hilarious fun when you get a cross-map kill and feel like a boss. I dunno, I'm not the best LoL player in the world (quite the opposite in fact :D) but Draven and me seem to click.

It's not the catching, it's the teamfight that does it for me. I'm absolutely fine in lane, but you put me in a scrim and I'm fucked with him. I just can't wrap my head around it. But it's good that you're doing good with him, keep it going. If you're on EUW, then don't hesitate to add me =]

She's widely regarded as the most difficult ADC

By who? Source?

purely because she requires flawless positioning in teamfights in order to not simply melt immediately

Just like Ashe, Draven, Kog and [insert ADC here]

You need to be able to micro so much better in order to be a good Vayne, than any other ADC.

Micro? LoL has barely any micro, maybe Annie's bear and tanks/support with item actives. Vayne has a roll, a passive HP% damage, a buff as an ult and a knockback as a targeted spell. QSS or SotD as item active, if at all. How does this require micromanaging? It's just rolling your finger over a 3-4 buttons in sequence.

She has no hard escapes, and no up front scary "burst" until mid-late game.

Let's see. Stealth and a roll and a knockback. I'd say she has the most escapes out of any ADC. And it's a carry, they're all crappy early game. That's why they're called carries. Get carried by a support, so you can carry a team late game. Literal gaming definition of carry in a moba.

I got so tired of dealing with angry people that I just won't play even a normal game unless its with at least 2 other friends. I am having infinitely more fun playing ARAM and ABAM with little mini games like pirates vs ninjas, demacia vs noxus, etc. so if you like the game but don't like the people, I suggest you check out aram and abam

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked