1.3% (8)
1.3% (8)
Other
20.3% (130)
20.3% (130)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What religion are you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I honestly do not give a toss, albeit I think the idea of belief in a god is quite silly.

You left out wiccan/pagan, tisk, tisk...

I wonder how many "others" are in that category.

Agnostic I will neither believe or deny the existence of a god.

Agnostic atheist here. I don't truly believe in any god from any current organized religion. I am open to some type of "Deity" but that term is very broad for me. Anything from a certain energy to maybe some mystic extra terrestrial being.

Atheist, I guess. Since I don't belive in god(s)/nirvana etc.

A girl I know claims she is a satanist. Not sure if she knows what it's all about.

I voted Christian although I pretty much have my own religion.
It's a branch off of 7th day adventism that is heavily influenced by John Lockes philosophies and my own reason.

Atheism.

Even as a kid I thought an invisible man in the sky was rather silly.

I recently increased from two to three on the worship scale. I worship the fox, I worship myself, and I pray to Gazuga to take a dump upon those who are unworthy in my eyes.

I'm other since you missed out a fairly big religion. I'll give you a clue, I started my Yule celebrations today.
Also Satanism implies a Christian belief system therefor Christian = Satanism? MIND BLOWN!

I'm a Christian. Although I'm pretty relaxed about it if that's the right word?

I don't go to church, I think its boring so I play Airsoft or Paintball instead, I don't pray (although Ill ask God for help when I'm in a tight spot so I suppose that's praying) I listen to Metal, watch (and love) violent movies play violent games, drink, smoke cigars and swear.
I just don't get caught up in the semantics of it all, I don't believe any of that matters.

I also don't really preach about my faith unless asked about (which you have) cause it annoys me when anybody (regardless of belief or non-belief) preaches about their belief in your face.
I believe its a personal choice and is between you and your God.
Or just you.

I walk a fine line between being a Christian and an agnostic.

Prior to that, I was a very relaxed Christian.

Text book british answer... CofE. Church of England... All it means is that you can get married in a church is you so wish... And you celebrate Christmas and Easter... And that is all, there is no other obligation to this open ended religion choice!

Btw, all you people who say you are athiest, do you celebrate Christmas? If you do are you not defying the definition of an athiest, by beleiving in something? Even if you do not beleive it is the birthday of Christ, giving presents, and spending time with family is beleiving in holiday spirit, which is beleiving in something... A true athiest will not treat any day different to any other, due to the lack of beleif that anyday can be more special for any reason...

Christian here (Evangelic Lutheran)
Basically I am a part of the church but I don't really believe in God.
I've done some work for the assembly (most people do were I live) at the age of 14-16 some small help around stuff and then the confirmation which was a lot of fun (especially the camp we went to).
But nothing more really.
Christian History on the other hand is really interesting (from a historical pont of view.)

I'm Pagan, to be a bit more specific, Norse. I wasn't necessarily raised in any religion, though the daycare I went to when I was younger was a Seventh-Day Adventist run sort of thing and I grew up with those beliefs for a while, until I got older, went through a brief stint of atheism, then agnosticism, and now here I am!

Acrisius:

Fluffles:
Until I am presented with a shred of evidence I will remain the default position of rejecting belief. Scientific burden of evidence ftw!
(Atheist if you're slow)

And if you are later presented with any shred of evidence, you will be branded insane or crazy if you believe it. Kind of a catch 22. You refuse to believe something until you see proof, but the nature of that thing makes it so that if you acknowledge proof to exist, you will be branded a lunatic by your peers for believing it. Just think about it, it's a funny thought. I heard it in a discussion between scientists, one was an atheist and one was a Christian..

Huh? If I was later presented with evidence that could be peer reviewed I would not be branded as crazy because it would be solid. If we had evidence then there would something to actually argue about. A lack of evidence is not evidence. The fact we don't know stuff is not evidence for God. It's not evidence for anything.

Chatato:

Vykrel:

Chatato:
There has to have been something which was there before the big bang, I guess.

when you think about it, that doesnt make any sense. if there was something before the big bang because you think there has to have been something, wouldnt there have to have been something even before whatever that is?

Well, anyway you look at it, it kinda makes more sense then believing there was nothing there however it also makes more sense than believing there is something there, if you can explain what you believe to me, I'll listen (Or read, I guess).

Well, the universe could be cyclic. So it mightn't ever have had a beginning. Also, if you watch Lawrence Krauss - A Universe From Nothing there's a place in it somewhere where he mentions that there has to be something. If there is nothing then something will always become from it.
Drawing a straight conclusion like "we don't know what was before the big bang/we don't know what set the singularity in motion/we don't know where matter comes from" therefore "god" is really flawed. Drawing the conclusion that there must have been nothing, and something can't come from nothing is also flawed. Drawing any conclusions from a lack of evidence is flawed.
We don't know. It's an unknown. This is not a reason to believe in a higher power. Why not pretend nature was different then? Why not make up this excuse, or that excuse.

I'd rather listen to someone with intense knowledge on a subject. Someone who can explain the maths behind their conclusions. Someone who has studied the fuck out of it. I don't really care for listening to people who don't understand it and have come to the personal conclusion that there must be a higher power because they need an excuse to cover for their lack of understanding. What's wrong with not knowing? It only means that we have more to understand.

ExileNZ:

Acrisius:

Jesus was by contemporary standards the exact opposite of a misogynist. Unless you're seriously comparing our society to that of contemporary society as it was 2000 years ago, you're wrong.
Assuming that you're talking about the New Testament, and not only what is basically the Jewish Tora in the Old Testament. Even there, you have many examples of strong and impressive women who by today's standards would be viewed as some kind of Amazon-feminists.

You're right about what Satanism is though. Mostly. It's not really a religion in the conventional sense, more like a sect or cult. Or several. But it's rarely about devil-worship.

Good thing I wasn't talking about Jesus then. I said GOD, and only a handful of sects actually confuse Him with Jesus. Please do me the courtesy of not misreading my posts before replying.

I'm well aware that the bible has plenty of strong and impressive women, but my statement (crude and blanketing as it was) was that God was a spiteful old misogynist in the Bible. And no, I'm not getting into the Jewish stuff, where you have prayers to thank God for not being born a woman and all that, I'm talking the Christian bible.
I searched for quotes but instead I found entire pages of them. Here's a couple:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god15.htm
http://www.godsanasshole.com/2009/10/29/god-is-a-misogynistic-fuckwad/
http://www.evilbible.com/
(they're remarkably easy to find, there are a lot of pages on the topic)

On the upside, at least we agree about Satanism.

Funny man you, talking about Christianity while clearly having no idea what the holy trinity is ;)

Jesus = God

God = Jesus

Christians pray to Jesus, in case you haven't noticed.

I believed in Jesus 5 years ago and I'm just gonna say I'm Atheist now and I'm not gonna say why I stopped believing (chance of flamewar)

Acrisius:

ExileNZ:

Acrisius:

Jesus was by contemporary standards the exact opposite of a misogynist. Unless you're seriously comparing our society to that of contemporary society as it was 2000 years ago, you're wrong.
Assuming that you're talking about the New Testament, and not only what is basically the Jewish Tora in the Old Testament. Even there, you have many examples of strong and impressive women who by today's standards would be viewed as some kind of Amazon-feminists.

You're right about what Satanism is though. Mostly. It's not really a religion in the conventional sense, more like a sect or cult. Or several. But it's rarely about devil-worship.

Good thing I wasn't talking about Jesus then. I said GOD, and only a handful of sects actually confuse Him with Jesus. Please do me the courtesy of not misreading my posts before replying.

I'm well aware that the bible has plenty of strong and impressive women, but my statement (crude and blanketing as it was) was that God was a spiteful old misogynist in the Bible. And no, I'm not getting into the Jewish stuff, where you have prayers to thank God for not being born a woman and all that, I'm talking the Christian bible.
I searched for quotes but instead I found entire pages of them. Here's a couple:

Funny man you, talking about Christianity while clearly having no idea what the holy trinity is ;)

Jesus = God

God = Jesus

I'm well aware of the holy trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost routine.

But Jesus was God's SON.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son" - John 3:16
Took me 10 seconds in Google for God's sake.

Sorry if you're part of the afore-mentioned percentage who can't tell the difference between the friendly guy downstairs and the smitey one upstairs.

Christians worship Jesus, they pray to God.

Atheist and Satanist should be replaced by Pastafarianism, as Atheist is not a religion and Satanist would go under other. You could replace Satanism with Jedi or Pagan :D

As for the Poll I would either be style or put atheist down.
Have to admit the religious bias on the forum makes me a little sad, I would rather have a diverse amount of theists, but hell what ya gunner do when America is latched on in the poll.

ExileNZ:

Sorry if you're part of the afore-mentioned percentage who can't tell the difference between the friendly guy downstairs and the smitey one upstairs.

Acrisius:

The religion is so diluted now, that both are right in the modern world.

I'm an atheist. Quite thoroughly atheist. I think of deistic and agnostic positions as being about as wrong as ordinary religious positions.

Agnostic. I love it because I don't really believe in anything except good basic morals and ethics. I guess you could say I don't even have a religion at all. I am however, a man of science.

P.S. This thread should be in the "Religion and Politics" section.

I'm Atheist. Not much else to say about it really. Just don't believe in any of that stuff.

DeanoTheGod:
Text book british answer... CofE. Church of England... All it means is that you can get married in a church is you so wish... And you celebrate Christmas and Easter... And that is all, there is no other obligation to this open ended religion choice!

Btw, all you people who say you are athiest, do you celebrate Christmas? If you do are you not defying the definition of an athiest, by beleiving in something? Even if you do not beleive it is the birthday of Christ, giving presents, and spending time with family is beleiving in holiday spirit, which is beleiving in something... A true athiest will not treat any day different to any other, due to the lack of beleif that anyday can be more special for any reason...

It's a ritual and has nothing to do with the belief, it's more to do with the customs of the culture you come from then your actual religion. Apart from the previous statement Atheism is just the rejection that a deity exists and nothing more, the only way to be a "true atheist" is to think there is no god of any kind. Too many people try to attach meaningless rubbish to atheism claiming it's a certain patten of logic and such (normally people who are not atheists as a method to debunk or pick faults with atheism)

i find my self increasingly viewing all religions as cults...

-tho to be fair, i also find myself viewing most every group/affiliation that people associate themselves with to be in part cult mentality, everything from religions, groups, group of friends, relationships, etc. People seek to be part of a group, and once they associate themselves with a group, they will generally consider that group a part of their personal identity; this causes them to view any negative comment aimed at their group as a personal attack, and will adamantly defend their group, even if deep down their argument is irrational or simply coming from an irrational need to protect their group.

I don't subscribe to any school of thought related to god(s), the universe, existence, afterlife, or a lack of any of the aforementioned. I've written it all off as "doesn't freaking matter", and am more interested in focusing on what goes on on the planet and in making my life and that of those around me as pleasant as possible without coddling them.

If I'm doomed to an eternity of suffering because of this, so be it, but at least no one can accuse me of being flighty or unfocused, I guess.

I'm an atheist. I kinda struggled with it for a while due to fear of social stigma, but despite being raised Christian I don't think I ever really believed.

How the heck do I end up "Other" on a poll with *Satanists* on it? How?

I'd almost bet my WoW account that there are more Pagans than Satanists on here. Just sayin'.

Oh, and...

Rusman:
I'm other since you missed out a fairly big religion. I'll give you a clue, I started my Yule celebrations today.
Also Satanism implies a Christian belief system therefor Christian = Satanism? MIND BLOWN!

No, it doesn't work that way. And if you're Pagan, you should bloody well know better.

Polarity27:
How the heck do I end up "Other" on a poll with *Satanists* on it? How?

I'd almost bet my WoW account that there are more Pagans than Satanists on here. Just sayin'.

Oh, and...

Rusman:

No, it doesn't work that way. And if you're Pagan, you should bloody well know better.

Yeah I am fully aware it doesn't work like that, I was just being a jerk towards the fact that some how Satanism was worth putting in the poll. I highly doubt there are any real Satanists here and that the people that did put Satanist are Atheists that are trolling.

I am an atheist. However atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of a belief in a deity. Nothing more.

I answered other because I consider myself a Naturalist, it's basically more elaborate than an Atheist, it's believing the world can be entirely explained by natural laws, there is no question of the existence of anything supernatural, everything operates within the physical laws of our universe.

Rusman:

Yeah I am fully aware it doesn't work like that, I was just being a jerk towards the fact that some how Satanism was worth putting in the poll. I highly doubt there are any real Satanists here and that the people that did put Satanist are Atheists that are trolling.

Actually, we do have a couple of legit Satanists on this board who aren't trolls. (And I'm not counting myself among them, but I *was* one at one time.)

It's still an odd choice for a poll, though I don't think it's worth spreading BS over.

Rkiver:
I am an atheist. However atheism is not a religion, it is a lack of a belief in a deity. Nothing more.

here is the definition of religion: a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

and another:
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

so in the broadest definition of religion atheism is a religion. sorry to inform but believing or not believing in a god or gods has nothing to do with religion. you can be atheist Buddhist ifyou wanted to, it does not go against Buddhist practices or beliefs.

i voted other since other Christians refuse to view my church as a Christian church since we allow scientific knowledge and we are trithesitic since we believe that god, Jesus and the holy ghost are three separate entities.

ExileNZ:

Acrisius:

ExileNZ:

Jesus = God

God = Jesus

I'm well aware of the holy trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost routine.

But Jesus was God's SON.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son" - John 3:16
Took me 10 seconds in Google for God's sake.

No, clearly you're not aware of the holy trinity, or you have a view of it that is not the traditional one. The holy trinity, Father Son and Holy Ghost, are all the one and the same. Jesus was God's son, but he was also God himself in human form. The Holy trinity is different embodiments of the same entity.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "only a handful of sects confuse Him with Jesus". I'm born and raised Orthodox, my people have been Christians since Christianity came into being. It's a fundamental part of our culture. I'm also born and raised in Sweden, a protestant country. Still I don't understand what you're referring to when you say "only a handful of sects...".

Googling doesn't make you wise, just capable of typing on a keyboard.

keiskay:

Rkiver:

here is the definition of religion: a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

and another:
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

so in the broadest definition of religion atheism is a religion. sorry to inform but believing or not believing in a god or gods has nothing to do with religion. you can be atheist Buddhist ifyou wanted to, it does not go against Buddhist practices or beliefs.

Oh, this is going to be fun! /popcorn

By that definition, the Tea Party is a religion. (And mine isn't... I mean, if it requires broad agreement, Pagans can't agree that the sky is blue, let alone anything else.)

I don't agree that belief has *nothing* to do with religion. I do know there are plenty of religions where belief is supported but not required.

I think the term for someone who practices Hinduism is a Hindu, not a Hinduist.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked