Pennsylvania Legislature declares 2012 "Year of the Bible". Atheists write strongly worded billboard

Pages PREV 1 2 3

JediMB:

Amnestic:
WHEREAS, Deeply held religious convictions springing from the holy scriptures led to the early settlement of our country

...Only accurate in that people settled America to GET AWAY from the deeply held religious convictions of the crowns and churches of European monarchies. :D

I always like to dispel this every chance I can get. America was not settled so much by people getting away from religious persecution so much as people that wanted to establish their own lands so they could persecute based on their religion.

The idea that America was founded on a basis of freedom from religious persecution is a myth that to this day is taught in US schools as history. It is true that some groups that came to America did so because they were religious minorities and were not treated well in Europe, but overwhelmingly they did so to setup their own colonies where they would rule using their religion.

For example, Massachusetts was a Theocracy when it was founded by the Puritans and it was home to severe religious persecution. You were not even allowed to set foot in Massachusetts unless you were a Puritan. People were executed for having different beliefs.

Even after Independence there are numerous examples of religious persecution depending on the state. Catholics not being able to hold office, Jews not given civil rights and in many states forget holding office if you were not of a Christian background.

The history of religious persecution in America is as long as America itself. There was no real difference between America and Europe in terms of religious persecution, in fact you could argue persecution in America was worst than Europe.

pyrate:

JediMB:

Amnestic:
WHEREAS, Deeply held religious convictions springing from the holy scriptures led to the early settlement of our country

...Only accurate in that people settled America to GET AWAY from the deeply held religious convictions of the crowns and churches of European monarchies. :D

I always like to dispel this every chance I can get. America was not settled so much by people getting away from religious persecution so much as people that wanted to establish their own lands so they could persecute based on their religion.

The idea that America was founded on a basis of freedom from religious persecution is a myth that to this day is taught in US schools as history. It is true that some groups that came to America did so because they were religious minorities and were not treated well in Europe, but overwhelmingly they did so to setup their own colonies where they would rule using their religion.

For example, Massachusetts was a Theocracy when it was founded by the Puritans and it was home to severe religious persecution. You were not even allowed to set foot in Massachusetts unless you were a Puritan. People were executed for having different beliefs.

Even after Independence there are numerous examples of religious persecution depending on the state. Catholics not being able to hold office, Jews not given civil rights and in many states forget holding office if you were not of a Christian background.

The history of religious persecution in America is as long as America itself. There was no real difference between America and Europe in terms of religious persecution, in fact you could argue persecution in America was worst than Europe.

"We are told the pilgrims came here to escape religious persecution. What happened is they wanted the freedom to practice the most stiflingly oppressive and violent form of Christianity known to man."

Jon Stewart

Cool, I guess that 2013 will be "The Year of the Quran"? If not, I call bullshit.

Amnestic:
-

I don't understand why 2012 would be the year of the bible. Why now, if at all.

I also find the picture offensive, which is a little strange coming from me.

Blablahb:

Seekster:
There isnt a right to live your life without being exposed to religious influences either. Its freedom of religion not freedom from religion and no its not the same thing.

Uh, yes, actually it is. You have to be allowed to express your lifestyle, and an inherent consequence of that is that, while one may force impartiality upon people, it is forbidden to force a particular religion onto other people.

For example: you may profess the worship of Quetzalcoatl in the US, but sacrificing people to him is still punishable as murder. This restriction doesn't impede the freedom of religion.

Forcing someone to obey a certain religion does however limit their ability to live whatever life they want to live.

Really? Where in the Constitution does such a right exist? Furthermore if such a right did exist then wouldnt that mean every time you drove past a Church or God-forbid a Church with a billboard that had a religious message on it you were having your rights violated?

I think its common sense that freedom of religion doesnt give people the right to make human sacrifices. No legal precedent for that in the USA I admit, but in all liklihood there never will be.

Nobody is forcing anyone to obey a certain religion here.

pyrate:

JediMB:

Amnestic:

What I meant was that they wanted to get away from the rule of Catholicism, which is still accurate, yes? Even if they had their own persecuting on the agenda. And one gigantic U-turn later, we're back at Catholicism and people trying to turn the US into a very selective theocracy where charity and kindness are forgotten in favor of greed and dominion over others.

Same old story...

We could just see what Thomas Jefferson thought about the whole freedom of religion thing in his autobiography, since he wrote the fuckin' Constitution...

"Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination."

He wrote this regarding the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom, which influenced the Constitution. His intentions are crystal fucking clear in my opinion.

Stop letting dipshits rewrite historical fact.

...actually, I'm expecting religious people to hold respect for others and learn facts... ahahahahah! silly me.

That billboard...is that the best way they had of making their point, though?

I cannot disagree with what their concerns, but they way they expressed them...bringing up someone else's oppression to garner support for your own isn't the way to go about it. Reminds me of the "gay is the new black" or "women is the new nigger" stuff.

Pff oh come on "year of the bible" we don't need more religion, here I tought they were making progress.

Oh well, as long Rick Santorum doesnt get inn to office there might be a chance but...

It just saddens me how people mix up the church with religion, religion can stay, the church (and Muslim religious traditions) has got to go, religion was never meant to become this...

The irony of the church is hilarious, they say to be selfless and kind to others while covering for pedophiles and desperately trying not to give money to people the church abused as children.

Fuck the catholic church.

Wh-what the heck is this? This is equivalent of a government institution respecting a specific religion. Does ANYONE read the 1st Amendment anymore? They think they can get away with having the State respect Christian religion because it influenced the creation of our country? Maybe England should should pay taxes to the French because they didn't pay off their debt to William the Conqueror. If Jehovah's Witnesses don't have to salute the flag because of their religion, what makes them think they can pull this off?

The Atheist billboard is fine. It would be more productive to invite everyone to join in to stop this idiocy, instead of labeling their website PAnonbelievers.org, which suggests "If you have faith, you can just keep on walking."

You kinda wanna' build solidarity against a law that discriminates against a minority, not sound hostile to other groups who would want to oppose this law, y'know?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked