Atheists can be real jerks sometimes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Spanishax:

keinechance:

Spanishax:

You know, I would, but I get the feeling you are not open-minded, and thus, I do not wish to waste my time.

Thats OK, all the theists I talked to stop at this point too, as they realise what talking about this would lead up to.

I would prefer not to escalate things any further. I KNEW I should have just let sleeping dogs lie with my original post... But the Brony comparison was bugging me, and I just had to write it SOMEWHERE. lol

No problem, only by discussing something, can you get to understand someone elses positon.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

"Invade" every aspect of government and life? When this country was founded almost EVERYONE was Catholic. It's less of an "invasion" and more of an exile (and some more vocal believers trying to hang on by their fingernails).

A well deserved exile too, I think anyone who lets their decisions to be guided by a 2000 year old book about a man in the clouds should not be in power at all.

If you look at rights issues it nearly always christians who oppose people having rights.

Homosexuals want more rights? God says they should burn in hell and should go to jail.

Woman want an abortion? God says no.

Remember the AIDS virus? It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if the catholic church didn't say condoms were evil to the people in Africa, the same place with over 20,000,000 infections.

Also, pic related

Yes, but Christians are not doing those things right. They are not letting God handle his own business, and thus fucked-in-the-head "Christians" persecute people, such as the homosexual community. I have gay friends; I have Wiccan friends; I have friends who ARE 100% anti-theist, and don't let me forget it, but they're still my friends. To go back to my earlier Brony example: I will love and tolerate them.
I agree, there are groups of "Christians" that genuinely need to just go away, as all they do is spread hate-mongering and give those of us that just want to be good, regular people a bad name. But remember, just because they are more VOCAL than us, does not mean they REPRESENT us.

Please stop using anti-theist, you make us sound like a hate group. It's atheist.

If you want to tolerate those people then that's fine, they most likely aren't trying to fuck things up.

Most people trying to censor things or take people's rights away are either cristians or corporations.

I cannot simply tolerate people trying to damage the world and strip people of their freedoms. There is no atheist book that calls for the mass slaughter of others or that encourages slavery or that has insane laws for no reason (don't eat ham etc).

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

keinechance:

No, it is his choice wether or not he sends us to hell.

And he does if we don't follow him.

Such a nice guy really.

"You don't have to pay me the protection money, but then I have to kill you and your family, sorry."

That's so flawed and research-lacking, that I'm going to stand over here now. *Backs away, not breaking eye-contact*

It really isn't.

He made us with flaws, blames us for them and punished us for his mistakes.

Tell me, if he is perfect how did he fuck up the world and hell, the universe so badly?

We fucked everything up, not God. Then he tried to save us, but some people have rejected his help, saying, "I know where I'm going, dude! I can make it on my own!" Then they took one step to the left and fell into a chasm.

Dejawesp:
So like every Atheist on the internet I find my way to the occasional religious debate and like every Atheist I often find myself with bedfellows (In the debate) who are a few steps far prejudice and overzealous.

So let me get this straight....
You, a atheist, went and "faked" being religious to see how people act around you AND you actually took the time to read a bit into these themes?

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Respect man, seriously.

I don't have too much to say here regarding the topic itself.
I came to this thread waiting a religious guy trolling atheists to get the comment section running and maybe a badge or two but this threw me of my guard.

My first thought when seeing the thread was "anyone can be an asshole not just atheists", but since I am sort of christian myself (it's kinda hard to explain) I liked this thread.

Thank you!

wottabout:
But you might believe that if someone is Christian, he or she is wrong and needs to be corrected. And if you value objective truth, as many people do, this is probably a justified course of action.

I think, that if someone belives something to be true, without any evidence to support that claim, then I say they are irrational.

Spanishax:

keinechance:

Spanishax:

I agree, there are groups of "Christians" that genuinely need to just go away, as all they do is spread hate-mongering and give those of us that just want to be good, regular people a bad name. But remember, just because they are more VOCAL than us, does not mean they REPRESENT us.

So are those Vocal people not "true" christians, but you are?

If you intend to goad me into criticizing "Christians", then you have failed. All I will say is that those nutty ones are NOT preaching what Jesus taught - in fact, quite the opposite.

Jesus is God and you don't follow god's word seeing as you are tolerant of evil baby haters like me and gay people.

The christians I respect the most are the Westboro Baptsist Church, at least they read the Bible and understand what it preaches rather than people who claim to follow the bible and really just do their own thing.

Spanishax:

keinechance:

Spanishax:

If you intend to goad me into criticizing "Christians", then you have failed. All I will say is that those nutty ones are NOT preaching what Jesus taught - in fact, quite the opposite.

So you know what Jesus taught, but they don't?

Does that not implie that you are a "true" christian, as you got it right and they did not?

keinechance:

Spanishax:

keinechance:

Thats OK, all the theists I talked to stop at this point too, as they realise what talking about this would lead up to.

I would prefer not to escalate things any further. I KNEW I should have just let sleeping dogs lie with my original post... But the Brony comparison was bugging me, and I just had to write it SOMEWHERE. lol

No problem, only by discussing something, can you get to understand someone elses positon.

If you would know more, I'm sure your local churches (and maybe a couple of YouTube videos) could answer any questions you may have.

ResonanceSD:

keinechance:

ResonanceSD:

How can we have a choice? Our omnipotent creator is omniscient! Surely he knows precisely what's going to happen when he created us! That means he's creating people with the sole purpose of sending them to hell!

Now, now, if that where true, than the God as described in the bible would be a immoral monster.

:O No way! You mean the "kill them if they think for themselves" guy could be evil? Now that I can't take. YOU SIR, HAVE SHATTERED MY PERSPECTIVE OF THE UNIVERSE.

My apologies :)

keinechance:

Spanishax:

keinechance:

So you know what Jesus taught, but they don't?

Does that not implie that you are a "true" christian, as you got it right and they did not?

If you've ever heard some of the things these guys rant about, you would already have an answer to your question.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

That's so flawed and research-lacking, that I'm going to stand over here now. *Backs away, not breaking eye-contact*

It really isn't.

Tell me, if he is perfect how did he fuck up the world and hell, the universe so badly?

We fucked everything up, not God. Then he tried to save us, but some people have rejected his help, saying, "I know where I'm going, dude! I can make it on my own!" Then they took one step to the left and fell into a chasm.

How did we fuck up?

He made us wrong, put us in a very small area with the devil and a fruit that shouldn't be eaten. That was an accident waiting to happen.

If he is a god as you say, why didn't he simply remove the devil? That would have solved anything and the fruit would not have been eaten.

keinechance:

Fox242:

Dejawesp:

But he's not looking to convert you. Just keep his faith.

Exaclty. Thank you for getting it!

And you think that trying to convert someone is the only way for your "faith" to affect me?

...what? Where in the fuck did I ever say anything like that? Please point out those exact words that I wrote in this forum for me. Please do so!

Matthew94:

The christians I respect the most are the Westboro Baptsist Church, at least they read the Bible and understand what it preaches rather than people who claim to follow the bible and really just do their own thing.

It's sad, but true.

keinechance:

ResonanceSD:

keinechance:

Now, now, if that where true, than the God as described in the bible would be a immoral monster.

:O No way! You mean the "kill them if they think for themselves" guy could be evil? Now that I can't take. YOU SIR, HAVE SHATTERED MY PERSPECTIVE OF THE UNIVERSE.

My apologies :)

'

You should be sorry, I was all for the Old Testament SuperJesus guy, now you're saying that he might not have his head screwed on right? I don't know what to believe now!

Oh wait, The Invisible Pink Unicorn. That's much more my speed.

If the bible is so "good" then why does it say rape victims should be put to death?

(Deut. 22:13-21) and (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

Rape victims must be married to their rapist but as they are not virgins them must be stoned.

Flawless logic big G!

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

keinechance:

Jesus is God and you don't follow god's word seeing as you are tolerant of evil baby haters like me and gay people.

*Sigh* Have you even READ God's Word? I guarantee it says something MUCH different to what you think it does. Jesus is the epitome of love and tolerance. If you are simply trolling and don't want to be civilized, then please stop replying to me.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

It really isn't.

How old do you believe the Earth is? (And this is leading into something but I have to know first.) Oh, and do you accept that evolution is a fact?

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

It really isn't.

How did we fuck up?

He made us wrong, put us in a very small area with the devil and a fruit that shouldn't be eaten. That was an accident waiting to happen.

If he is a god as you say, why didn't he simply remove the devil? That would have solved anything and the fruit would not have been eaten.

Because he's omnipotent, yet he wanted to test people, despite the fact that he should have known precisely what was going to happen, given omniscience. As such, he was just working up a pretext to boot the freeloaders out of the garden, and move in his drum set.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

*Sigh* Have you even READ God's Word? I guarantee it says something MUCH different to what you think it does. Jesus is the epitome of love and tolerance. If you are simply trolling and don't want to be civilized, then please stop replying to me.

Look at my above post, trust me I have probably read more of the bible than you.

If the bible is so "good" then why does it say rape victims should be put to death?

(Deut. 22:13-21) and (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

Rape victims must be married to their rapist but as they are not virgins them must be stoned.

Flawless logic big G

The jerk atheists you describe are just being people that fit into the category that I invented 3 years ago: Zealots.

Zealots can be overly zealous about anything, it really doesn't matter, but what makes a Zealot a Zealot is not his willingness to defend Aiur, it is their dedication towards telling everyone how awesome their opinions and likes are.
"Hey man, I really like Mass Effect. It is such a good game"
'I don't like it that much, I'd rather play Halo'
"STFU HALO SUCKS. Mass Effect is the best game ever, and I am going to make a huge long list about why Halo sucks, and why Mass Effect is better"
'I don't care? All I said is that I don't like Mass Effect that much, and I would rather play Halo'

The above works for just about every single scenario about every single subject. There are Zealots about everything imaginable. The ones that annoy me the most are not the Zealots of certain games (CoD ones are pretty annoying...), but the Zealots of certain shows (especially anime). I am sure we can all agree that "HEY, HAVE YOU WATCHED MLP:FiM YET?! NO?! OMG WATCH IT NOW IT IS SO GOOD" gets annoying pretty quickly, and I am a fan of the show! It is so irritating when a discussion about anime turns into flame wars because I don't like Bleach or Naruto, and think Hayao Miyazaki films are the greatest >.>

So yeah OP, its nothing new. Dicks on the internet are going to be dicks.

Edit: I was going to say, but forgot to say; I like a lot of things and will defend them when the come under scrutiny, but I don't run around pushing it into people's faces. I don't like it being done to me, so I don't do it to anyone.

Fox242:

keinechance:

Fox242:

Exaclty. Thank you for getting it!

And you think that trying to convert someone is the only way for your "faith" to affect me?

...what? Where in the fuck did I ever say anything like that? Please point out those exact words that I wrote in this forum for me. Please do so!

So you do know that your faith can affect me?

Then I apologize, I assumed that you were saying that it doesn't.

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

It really isn't.

How did we fuck up?

Remove the devil, eh? Then what? May as well have removed Hitler, right? He was evil, right? Let's see, who else... Kony. Get rid of him. He sinned; he was wicked. Hmmm... You know what, why don't we just get rid of EVERYONE? That way, because EVERYONE has done something wrong, there would be no problem! Right? Right! Way to go!

*Facepalm*

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

It really isn't.

How old do you believe the Earth is? (And this is leading into something but I have to know first.) Oh, and do you accept that evolution is a fact?

Approximately six thousand years. And yes, evolution is a fact. Micro evolution is real... Macro evolution, on the other hand...

Spanishax:

Are you saying the Westboro Baptist church have a different bible, or that their interpretation of the bible is flawed?

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

How did we fuck up?

Remove the devil, eh? Then what? May as well have removed Hitler, right? He was evil, right? Let's see, who else... Kony. Get rid of him. He sinned; he was wicked. Hmmm... You know what, why don't we just get rid of EVERYONE? That way, because EVERYONE has done something wrong, there would be no problem! Right? Right! Way to go!

*Facepalm*

Well if he is a god then he shoud be able to do it.

Seriously though, the devil is the source of all evil and god did nothing. That doesn't sound like a god at all.

Why would a being of unlimited power and knowledge let evil exist at all?

Ardent Atheist through and through, will only have religious debates if they are bought up around me though. People can believe whatever superstitious bullshit they feel "calls" to them - but the moment they want to use their beliefs to discriminate against others, convert others, feel it garners them respect by stating on stage that they have "faith" or when they try to lie to children in schools by stating: "evolution is only a theory" is when I take serious fucking umbridge.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

How did we fuck up?

*Facepalm*

Well, why not get rid of hitler or kony? Given that he's all powerful, surely this would be a good thing?

What do you mean he can't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox

read it,

follow it up with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil#Epicurus

Cheers cheers.

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

How did we fuck up?

*Facepalm*

Seriously though, the devil is the source of all evil and god did nothing. That doesn't sound like a god at all.

You just said you read the Bible... Satan is NOT the source of all evil. Evil was spawned of a poor CHOICE. People have always had CHOICE, and will always make bad decisions at many points in their lives.

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

How did we fuck up?

*Facepalm*

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" - Epicurus, as quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief

Dem Ancient Greeks.

Dey smart.

keinechance:

Fox242:

keinechance:

So you do know that your faith can affect me?

Then I apologize, I assumed that you were saying that it doesn't.

You're just fuckin' trollin' me right now.

"Now giving religious people hell because they're wrong has always been fair game because lets face it. They're wrong about everything."

Pretty much makes anything you have to say moot.

I'm not particularly religious but I do believe in something rather than nothing, and that's about the depth of my established beliefs.

I think the major issue Atheists have with the Religious people is that they literally interpret two millennium old texts as fact.

Between the choices of being spiritually empty and basing my beliefs of words from long dead people I tend to take a moderate approach.

"There are no Atheists in Fox Holes" is one of the great truisms of our time.

You'll excuse me for not reading your entire post, but the whole WoW thing makes you look like a fanatic and a loon (note: makes you look, not makes you). So anyone giving you shit for it isn't really doing anything wrong in my book. You said yourself it was a farce anyway, so why you think you could expect a decent response is beyond me.

And frankly, I'm having trouble keeping a straight face when talking to someone about religion. It's not that I'm intolerant, but I've become more and more 'realistic' lately and when someone's talking to me about religion, I just feel like it's someone there talking to me about magic, fairies and all that. And hell, if I wouldn't stop to harass someone preaching to me about, I don't know, Scientology, actually believing in Jedi/Sith and all that shit, what makes Christianity or any other recognized faith more deserving of my tolerance? Now, don't get me wrong, I don't go around bashing people's faith, I try to be as tolerant as I can be, but I'm just finding it harder and harder to justify my own tolerance of it.

Spanishax:

Matthew94:

Spanishax:

*Facepalm*

You just said you read the Bible... Satan is NOT the source of all evil. Evil was spawned of a poor CHOICE. People have always had CHOICE, and will always make bad decisions at many points in their lives.

How can they make choices with an omnipotent, omniscient creator? Surely if those are facets of god, free will is abolished, given that HE ALWAYS KNOWS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

Approximately six thousand years. And yes, evolution is a fact. Micro evolution is real... Macro evolution, on the other hand...

Do you have any evidence to support your claim of the earth being 6000 years old?

And what do you say to the human made artifacts in the Holerfels Cave that are 35,000 to 40,000 years old?

Spanishax:

Woodsey:

Spanishax:

No, no no no no, please tell me you don't genuinely believe its 6000 years old. Please!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked