[EDIT] Rick Santorum announces he's dropping from GOP candidate race

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/rick-santorum-drops-out-of-the-presidential-race/2012/04/10/gIQACvaV8S_blog.html

According to a campaign official, Santorum is going to announce that he's going to be dropping his campaign to be the GOP presidential candidate. All I can say is thank fuck for that!

What are your thoughts? Are you as relieved as I am? The idea that he was even a credible candidate is a terrifying thought :/

EDIT: A couple more sources

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/rick-santorum-drops-out-2012-race_n_1415372.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17671077

2ND EDIT: Santorum himself has officially announced he's ending his campaign (BBC link has a video).

I'm gonna miss that guy! He was always good for a few chuckles.

Tyler Perry:

I think that was the only redeeming quality about him; how unintentionally hilarious he was.

1. Really, who didn't see this coming? He's the literal poster boy for the absolute farthest right fringe Dominionist Evangelical Christian sect in the U.S. demographic. The only people that ever took him seriously was everyone that wasn't in the above description out of pure dazzlement/fear, and.. the people occupying the same fringe with him. The media just loved to play around with his increasingly controversial statements like an all-week field day.

2. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report will be lesser in comedic material with this news. Damn.

He is blaming his dropping out on a family illness.

Why do I think that if he had won a few more states, that illness would have suddenly become less severe?

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Why do I think that if he had won a few more states, that illness would have suddenly become less severe?

To be fair, he does have a young daughter that is very sick, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that. One of his strengths, as well as his major weakness, is that he actually means what he says. So if he says that the strain on his family was too much and that they needed him, or whatever, I'm inclined to believe him.

For the sake of it, here are a few more sources (just in case people don't trust Washington post or Huffington Post):

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-santorum-calls-mitt-romney-concede-180027008.html

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/politics/campaign-wrap/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

cartooner2008:
For the sake of it, here are a few more sources (just in case people don't trust Washington post or Huffington Post):

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-santorum-calls-mitt-romney-concede-180027008.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/10/150361068/amid-rumors-about-campaigns-future-santorum-sets-news-conference

Why wouldn't anyone trust the Washington Post? It's one of the 4 most respected papers in the nation, alongside the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, and LA Sun-Times.

Tyler Perry:

Indeed. And today is a very sad day for all of us that hoped he would get the Republican nomination just so the religious right's craziness could be further exposed to the public.

Good on him, if indeed he has a sick child. Doing the right thing.

cartooner2008:

I linked the BBC too. Doesn't come much more credible than that

Although he was saying crazy and stupid things, he believed what he was saying and that's more then Mitt.

I'm sure nobody saw this coming. It is unfortunate however, I wish Romney could have been more crippled before the race and that the GOP would be forced to moderate itself for the next election.

The Santorum campaign dropped out now because if he had dropped out in two weeks, he would have likely lost his home state of Pennsylvania, thus eliminating his top tier position in the 2016 race that starts in December. Expect him to be in the running for the VP ticket as well.

The Gentleman:
The Santorum campaign dropped out now because if he had dropped out in two weeks, he would have likely lost his home state of Pennsylvania, thus eliminating his top tier position in the 2016 race that starts in December. Expect him to be in the running for the VP ticket as well.

Romney won't use Santorum as a VP. He knows Santorum has done too much damage to his chances with moderate voters, and is going need every advantage he can get.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

The Gentleman:

Romney won't use Santorum as a VP. He knows Santorum has done too much damage to his chances with moderate voters, and is going need every advantage he can get.

I said in the running, not necessarily picked. Romney needs base credibility right now, and no amount of independents can save him if the base doesn't turn out.

Nooooooooo! We lost the sure fire loser! Romney actually has a chance!

The Gentleman:
I said in the running, not necessarily picked. Romney needs base credibility right now, and no amount of independents can save him if the base doesn't turn out.

Correct, but that would be a gamble he can afford to take, because within their own circles, of rabbid evangelicals, there's been such a lot of "Obama is the anti-christ" nonsense and other propaganda that they'll turn up anyway.

Losing the voters who could go either way however would cause anyone to lose. Unless the US economy collapses overnight for mysterious reasons, Obama has that theme for an advantage. He's the president who pulled the US through the credit crisis, and even the people who lost their homes or jobs or something can relate far more to Obama's 'let's fix this broken situation' rhetoric than to the republican 'this worked so well before, let's get more of it'.

ShadowsofHope:
The only people that ever took him seriously was everyone that wasn't in the above description[

I wish I could agree with you. But, he was the nr 2 competitor for the republican nomination right? You don't become that by being universally resented. There's a whole lot of people who share his scary and immoral views. Not to mention some others like Ron Paul are very different.

I was just about to make this thread. WTG OP.

The dangers of dropping out of the GOP? Tell that to Rick Sanctorum, the dangers of dropping out of the GOP.
- Rick Sanctorum.

As has been said elsewhere, I think he was only in the running to make other members of the GOP seem "less severe".

They are still damn far to the right and still want to shove their religions down others throats.

Well the US dodged that one for now. But there is still the guy with the magical underwear who wants to run your country.

Tyler Perry:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

To be fair, he does have a young daughter that is very sick, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that. One of his strengths, as well as his major weakness, is that he actually means what he says. So if he says that the strain on his family was too much and that they needed him, or whatever, I'm inclined to believe him.

He polling disastrously in his home state of pennsylvania, so he wanted he had to pullout before getting stomped there because it would be far too embarrassing to lose your homestate twice. The family illness is just a thinly veiled roose and your a fool to take anything santorum says at face value

Well, now it's official: Mitt is the Republican Presidential Runner. I don't think he'll win, but he could get close.

Anyways, glad he at least knows when he's overdue his welcome... Even if it took him a while to leave.

The Gentleman:

my moneys 100% on marco rubio taking the vp. It fills all of the gops needs. In the end its all futile however, the gop is sinking and its sinking fast

Stilt:

Tyler Perry:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

He polling disastrously in his home state of pennsylvania, so he wanted he had to pullout before getting stomped there because it would be far too embarrassing to lose your homestate twice. The family illness is just a thinly veiled roose and your a fool to take anything santorum says at face value

If you insist. If avoiding "embarrassment" was high on Rick Santorum's list of priorities, he never would have opened his mouth in the first place.

To be honest my thought is "well fuck" I want him to lose to Obama because let's face facts no GOP candidate can win against Obama mot because Obama is good but because they are so horrible this in turn likely make the winner of the GOP race an thus loser of the presidency a bad Candidate for the next election and if I never want to see two people in the public eye again it is him and that Bachmann bitch.

But at least he is gone... for the next 4 years at least.

TheDarkEricDraven:
Nooooooooo! We lost the sure fire loser! Romney actually has a chance!

Don't worry, bear in mind the most true and prophetic words ever to be vomitted up by Ann Coulter: "...Romney will be the nominee and we'll lose."

Rastelin:
Well the US dodged that one for now. But there is still the guy with the magical underwear who wants to run your country.

Really weak-sauce, dude. There are plenty of legit things to criticize Romney for. Making fun of his religion (and in doing so, everyone, including many very decent people, who are a part of it) is a sign of being a petty bully.

It's a shame, really.

I see several comments on here claiming Santorum's best trait is his honesty. I'm not convinced we can buy that. Yeah, he claimed to be honest, but what politician doesn't? It's only the fact that he stands in comparison to a notorious flip-flopper that he gets any credit for being honest at all.

In fact, I'd say given the vehemency of his claims about homosexuals, I'd say there's probably at least one attribute about himself that he's been grossly deceptive about- to the public, to his wife, and to himself.

Oh, come one! He was the funniest guy in the campaign! What kind of jokes are you supposed to make about Rommney? Oh, he's so average, hahahaha, I am a good satirist.

At least he's caring for his child. That man was not designed for running a country.

So does this now mean that mitt has pretty much become the Rep. Candidate? The only guy with a chance at getting into the White house.. Hopefully he'll just revert back to the very moderate guy he was as governor of wherever (mass.?)

Still that's some good news anyway..

For those who still haven't had enough of Santorum this year, here's a compilation of his top ten moments.

Well I guess that is game, set, match.

*starts crossing fingers for brokered convention followed by a Palin win for the nomination*

Best TV of the year.

Also, a downside of Santorum pulling out (heh) is that should Romney then lose the Presidency, some (read: crazies) may take that as an indication that they weren't right wing enough and push an even crazier candidate in 2016.

And so the General Election begins.

Romney vs Obama. It will be one heck of a contest this year.

Amnestic:
*starts crossing fingers for brokered convention followed by a Palin win for the nomination*

Best TV of the year.

Also, a downside of Santorum pulling out (heh) is that should Romney then lose the Presidency, some (read: crazies) may take that as an indication that they weren't right wing enough and push an even crazier candidate in 2016.

You've renewed my hopes of the crazies in that party eventually taking control beyond just the backroom and daring to really set foot on the public stage for all to see.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked