Trump "suing Maher for charity"

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Maher DESTROYED Trump on last week's 'Real Time'.
:D

-Edit-
Well, damn, ninja!

Trump's only doing this to keep himself revelent in any way. Picking on Bill Maher is just one of those things that the right-wing does when it needs to complain about how horrible liberals are.

This entire issue is moronic, but I'm glad it exists because Bill Maher's "New Rule" about this whole thing was one of the most thorough comedic beatdowns I've seen since Jon Stewart's "Chaos on Bullshit Mountain" segment.

Maher is not is acting on his word. I think Trump should win so that when the next person who decides to bluff on TVthinks twice.

Gergar12:
Maher is not is acting on his word. I think Trump should win so that when the next person who decides to bluff on TVthinks twice.

But there was no 'word' here. Trump's basing this entire thing off a comment Maher made as part of his banter with Jay Leno on the Tonight Show, parodying Trump's birther position by insisting that Trump provide proof that he is not the spawn of an orangutan and a human (a pair that can't produce offspring), and defining the charities Trump should put the money towards as "the Hair Club for Men" or "the Institute for Incorrigable Douchebaggery", the latter of which on its own should have be all the indication a reasonable observer would need to realize the statement was intended as a jab, not a serious offer, and the surrounding context makes it even harder to take seriously. As characterized by former prosecutor, now defense attorney Mark Eiglarsh, the scenario's little different than a man in a bar yelling "I'll give you a million dollars if you guess what band sings this song!" Simply put, regardless of one's opinion of either Maher or Trump, this is not a legally enforcible claim, especially in the form of the unilateral contract Trump's trying to forge, setting a downright dangerous precident that so damages the 'reasonable observer' clause contract law relies so heavily upon to the point that it might as well not exist.

Remus:
I demand Donald Trump's longform birth certificate! I refuse to believe that he was born on this planet!

As a sign of solidarity, I'm willing to give $5 million to a charity of Trump's choice if he can prove it!

Gergar12:

Since Asita's already covered the serious reply... hmm, let's see...ah, how about this one...

Asita:

Gergar12:

But there was no 'word' here. Trump's basing this entire thing off a comment Maher made as part of his banter with Jay Leno on the Tonight Show, parodying Trump's birther position by insisting that Trump provide proof that he is not the spawn of an orangutan and a human (a pair that can't produce offspring), and defining the charities Trump should put the money towards as "the Hair Club for Men" or "the Institute for Incorrigable Douchebaggery", the latter of which on its own should have be all the indication a reasonable observer would need to realize the statement was intended as a jab, not a serious offer, and the surrounding context makes it even harder to take seriously. As characterized by former prosecutor, now defense attorney Mark Eiglarsh, the scenario's little different than a man in a bar yelling "I'll give you a million dollars if you guess what band sings this song!" Simply put, regardless of one's opinion of either Maher or Trump, this is not a legally enforcible claim, especially in the form of the unilateral contract Trump's trying to forge, setting a downright dangerous precident that so damages the 'reasonable observer' clause contract law relies so heavily upon to the point that it might as well not exist.

An extremely reasonable response to what I can only assume was a complete troll.

And I have to assume he was trolling because if not, then it will only make my brain hurt.

Vivi22:

Asita:

Gergar12:

An extremely reasonable response to what I can only assume was a complete troll.

And I have to assume he was trolling because if not, then it will only make my brain hurt.

This reminds me of those Disney cartoons and/or comics where Uncle Scrooge tricks Donald into signing a contract with ridiculous clauses hidden in unreadable fine print. No real jurisdiction would accept that contract as valid but in the cartoon world it is treated as sacred and unbreakable.

People have such a poor understanding on how legal contracts actually work.

Interestingly there are actually a lot of legal precedents on when a public statement can be treated as a contract offer and when they are dismissed as jokes. This situation does not even come close to meeting that standard.

Gergar12:

I think some people need to understand what the word "contract" means.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked