Just Another Day: A Zombie Survival Choose Your Own Adventure

 Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT
 

Norendithas:
Now that I am not on the point of passing out I think I can use sense again. =]


F) Injuries come first. After all, what good will becoming a zombie now do?

C) This will be good in case of an unexpected breakthrough or emergency. Especially once that emergency escape route is set up.

E) Goes with C).

D) Now that we have an escape set up and supplies for such an event ready, we can work on protection. Protection isn't worth as much when you have it but are stuck.

G) We had enough to last for a few before, and now is time to think more long-term.

A) Now that we have everything else ready, we can work on improving our temporary situation.

B) Goes hand-in-hand with A).

This

Gotta be ready to move before you start setting up, but wounds do take priority.

F,C,E,D,G,A,B

Sorry about the late update.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I used the antiseptic and medical supplies to clean the various scrapes I'd collected over the course of the day. I was surprised to see how serious some of my injuries were, including potentially infected zombie scratches on my arms from defending myself. I hoped that the antiseptic would neutralize any infections, zombie or bacterial.

Next, we set up our personal survival kits, including a few days of food, medical supplies, a flashlight and similar essentials. We also set up an emergency exit: 3 long ropes reaching from the roof to the ground, tested to support our weight. We left them lying coiled on the roof, ready to throw over the side if we got into trouble.

After we had set up our escape, we organised our clothing. We decided full-body coverage would be the most efficient method of avoiding infection. We covered our face and hair in bandannas and wore protective safety glasses to cover our eyes. However, finding the balance between body coverage to prevent infection, ease of movement for quick action was difficult, and any sleeves loose enough to provide easy movement was also dangerously easy to grab. We compromised by wearing long-sleeved clothing and taping the wrists closed.

With our clothing organised, we tested it out by going downstairs to collect food. We managed to collect enough to comfortably last a few days, as well as some tarps and ropes to fence off a room and prevent our lights from being seen. We were worried enough about being followed upstairs, we didn't need more zombies as well.

The next step was to set up the lights themselves, which was fairly simple after years of going on family camping trips. Rigging the generator to run using manual power was harder, and after an hour or so we realised we had no clue what we were doing.

By sunset, we had food, medicine, clothing, an escape route and some lights which could barely be seen from the street below, and even then only as a vague glow.

Choices:
a) Ask Jacob about runners.
b) Ask Jacob about bleeders.
c) Ask Jacob about his plans.
d) Tell Jacob your plan. (Supply plan to use. This could kill you in future if your plan is flawed.)
e) Maintain your weapons.
f) Just sleep. Avoid conversation.
g) Murder Jacob in his sleep.

Hints:
- Your weapons are currently Desmond and Oliver, a knife and crowbar.
- Jacob's been here since the outbreak rather than just showing up the next morning.
- Seriously, think before you choose g). You have virtually nothing to gain from killing him, and I might karmatically punish you. You deserve the choice though.

I would prefer a bit of a mix of A), B), C), D), and E).

Not only would killing Jacob be pointless, it would also worsen your chances. He's alright with a rifle, and you don't know what he knows. Or at the very least, you lose bait.. Just kidding.

You should ask Jacob what he knows about the outbreak and specifics of anything about its occurrence if he knows. Ask about the zombies in general, but be sure to include the different kinds. Of course you should ask him about his plans to get any input on what we should do. Never hurt anybody.

As for the D) part, here's what to do. It's a shame we don't have a map. Maybe Jacob has one?

You should mention how you can't stay on that roof forever, and eventually we'll need to move. You should ask him if he has any sort of medium of transportation, [I hope the roads aren't filled with wreckage] useful survival knowledge, A MAP, or weapons cache as he is a gun enthusiast. The first step to finding a new place to hole up in would be to find a defensible place, plan your route, decide what to take, and how to transport it.
I suggest if he does not have a truck [has to be a truck or big SUV, not a tiny little car] and neither of you can hotwire a car, we're screwed. But maybe we can find an abandoned truck with a set of keys in it still on our exit or in a scouting mission. Once the way has been planned out, the best way to get things into the truck would be to have it on a raised platform, maybe on a lower part of the building outside if you can. Then lower things down by rope while one person is down there to load it in back; strap everything down in case of a wild ride. If you can't get it on a raised platform, have some sort of harness set up where in case of emergency the person below can be raised up at a moments notice at the very least above the zombies reach. Take out the zombies, and get back to business. [Repeat] This is where a map would come in handy very much.

If there is no map, and one cannot be found, then ask him or yourself if you know the locations of any office buildings, warehouses, shipyards, or maybe even hospitals nearby.

And I completely forgot about maintaining weapons when I wrote that. xD
If you can do that while talking, please do. If not, do it after.

I had also watered and set out the plant seedlings in the sun- lettuce wouldn't be too filling unfortunately. We had to decide our next course of action.

I can't believe I didn't say something earlier but where did we get the dirt to plant this? Is there some sort of dirt structure already up here? I don't mean to be a prick at pointing this out. Plus, it doesn't seem like it has been a very big factor in our actions anyways.

G) all the way! Let your voice be heard! SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

I'd say A, B, and C, then see if we can't coordinate D with whatever Jacob knows. Then we can make sure Oliver and the rest are doing fine.

We already know what runners and bleeders do, so we don't need to ask about them. Killing Jacob is a major waste of resources, especially considering he's risking his own safety by letting you team up with him. I'll go with...

c) Ask Jacob what he thinks we should do. He knows the area more than you do, and this would be a good opportunity to find out how well he's handling the zombie infestation from a psychological standpoint. If there are any flaws in his plan, we can feel free to question him later.

I'm gonna go with C) for this one.

C and E

Without much information on the area, I couldn't hope to have any kind of plan aside from "bunker down" or "run like hell in *that* direction."

Norendithas:

I had also watered and set out the plant seedlings in the sun- lettuce wouldn't be too filling unfortunately. We had to decide our next course of action.

I can't believe I didn't say something earlier but where did we get the dirt to plant this? Is there some sort of dirt structure already up here? I don't mean to be a prick at pointing this out. Plus, it doesn't seem like it has been a very big factor in our actions anyways.

image

Watered and placed in the sun to grow a bit. Not that helpful, but if you're stuck here for weeks you'll want some fresh food, even if it's just a little lettuce. If you get access to a garden you can plant some real crops to sustain you, but up on the roof that's all you've got.

Ninjat_126:

Norendithas:

I had also watered and set out the plant seedlings in the sun- lettuce wouldn't be too filling unfortunately. We had to decide our next course of action.

I can't believe I didn't say something earlier but where did we get the dirt to plant this? Is there some sort of dirt structure already up here? I don't mean to be a prick at pointing this out. Plus, it doesn't seem like it has been a very big factor in our actions anyways.

image

Watered and placed in the sun to grow a bit. Not that helpful, but if you're stuck here for weeks you'll want some fresh food, even if it's just a little lettuce. If you get access to a garden you can plant some real crops to sustain you, but up on the roof that's all you've got.

Ohh. In my head I was picturing just the seeds being taken from the store. Heh, last time I try to think when I am tired. ^^

But lettuce is always appreciated. Much better than chewing on dirt. =]

image

Huh? What was that, Captcha? I couldn't quite understand you..

Norendithas:
But lettuce is always appreciated. Much better than chewing on dirt. =]

Honestly, I'd rather take the dirt. It probably has more nutrients.

RaNDM G:

Norendithas:
But lettuce is always appreciated. Much better than chewing on dirt. =]

Honestly, I'd rather take the dirt. It probably has more nutrients.

Meh, not really. While lettuce is low in calories and fat-free it is big in Vitamin A. Which is good for out immune systems [and essential for reproductive systems]. So it might just help us out if our immune system can fight the "zombification". ^^

Norendithas:

RaNDM G:
Honestly, I'd rather take the dirt. It probably has more nutrients.

Meh, not really. While lettuce is low in calories and fat-free it is big in Vitamin A. Which is good for out immune systems [and essential for reproductive systems]. So it might just help us out if our immune system can fight the "zombification". ^^

That was a joke.

RaNDM G:
That was a joke.

I fail at jokes sometimes. Dx

Makes me think I should be getting more sleep.

So... How's everyone doing today?

RaNDM G:
So... How's everyone doing today?

I'm just dandy. I remembered why I am not a big fan of Penn Station; they're food is too greasy for me. x.x

And you?

Okay, I guess. I just finished getting all the achievements in Tony Hawk Project 8, and I just had Left 4 Dead crash on me. Pretty average day.

Apologies, I've been busy and then watched a bunch of movies. Let The Right One in really puts a damper on the imagination.
I guess we'll be going with c) and e) then.

Sorry about the slow updates anyway. I haven't been entirely sure where to go. Now I've got a better outline of the story and you've got most of the gear you'll need, expect more zombie hordes and the like.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

It only took us a while to realise how terrible our forward thinking really was. We may have been well supplied, but all it took was one loud noise and we'd attract a swarm of zombies up the stairs, through our barricades and straight at us.

We decided to stay on the roof for as short a time as possible; just long enough to come up with an actual survival plan and another place to hide. Our packs held a few days of supplies, plenty more than we'd need if we had our destination planned and didn't get sidetracked or held up by zombies.

We also shared some information on the zombies. They had a tendency to bite victims on the cheek or face, and didn't seem to act like your typical "flesh-eating-zombies" at all. Runners also seemed to be attracted by loud noises such as alarms and screams. Both varieties would eat anything dead or wounded. A wounded zombie attacked by his comrades would not struggle or fight back, but simply lie still and be eaten. A wounded runner would flail and scream in an attempt to escape.

Choices: Pick one major choice and one minor choice from its category.

1. Stay at the mall.
a) "Salvage" more gear.
b) Barricade yourself on the roof more securely.
c) Go for the gun shop.

2. Take what you can and get out. (This includes a "salvage" run.)
a) Run for a nearby apartment building.
b) Try to leave the city.
c) Search for signs of other survivors.
d) (Specify alternate location)

Hints:
- There's not much else you can do in the shopping mall, aside from loot and wait to be rescued. That's alright IRL, but a pretty boring story. If you choose to stay, I'll be throwing some more events at you.
- Leaving is risky. But not every choice in that category will kill you.

2. With practically the whole town swarming the Mall, it wouldn't be smart to stay no matter how well stocked you are. But before we make any hasty decisions, lets look at the options we have:

a) Not a smart idea. Even if you can fortify the second story and tear up the stairways, you'll still be trapped with limited resources. There is the possibility of finding survivors, but it's also likely you'll run into a few stray infected inside. It's not worth the risk.

b) Leaving the city would be your best option, but take into account that most other survivors in the inner city will be thinking the same thing. Freeways and major city streets will be jammed with cars. If you do choose to leave now, steal a couple of bicycles or a motorcycle with plenty of gas. Stick to suburban and rural areas where the population will be much lower. Odds are you may come across more survivors since the infection may not have hit that part of town as hard as the inner city.

c) Somewhat defeats the purpose of trying to survive. It may seem like a smart idea to follow the crowd of survivors. Unfortunately, the infected will be thinking the exact same thing. If there is a civilian evacuation point and you know the area is going to be crowded, we should head in the other direction.

So b is our best option in the long-term, but for now where do we go? If we're careful and quiet, we may be able to get by using our melee weapons. But when shit hits the fan, we're going to need more stopping power. I'd suggest we take one last visit to the gun shop before leaving the Mall. If the entrance is still crowded with infected, we can leave without a second thought. If the store is empty or if there are only one or two infected standing outside, we can sneak in and take what we need.

Jedoro:
Would there happen to be an electronics store with any kind of long-range communications, like a CB radio? If so, couldn't hurt to stick around another day or so and look for that and/or guns. Hell, maybe call for a rescue with it if there is one?

If we do end up staying, this would be a good idea.

At this point, I was sort of just waiting for some input because this choice scares me. Once more RaNDM has pretty much said what I was thinking, so chalk up another vote for gun store then B.

Would there happen to be an electronics store with any kind of long-range communications, like a CB radio? If so, couldn't hurt to stick around another day or so and look for that and/or guns. Hell, maybe call for a rescue with it if there is one?

I like not roasting over a pit of zombies. =]

Let's pack up and head out. Heading out of town would probably be the best bet. We don't know how far the infection has spread, or whether or not the place is surrounded by the government. If it is, good thing if we are let past. If they are trying to keep everyone and everything in, heh, that's our government.. From that point I would say we should try to hole up at a warehouse, office building, shipyard, or maybe even a hospital nearby.

Norendithas:
From that point I would say we should try to hole up at a warehouse, office building, shipyard, or maybe even a hospital nearby.

The first three are all very good ideas. Each provide ample space and plenty of corners you can use to lose a crowd. But there are two reasons why visiting the hospital is suicidal.

1) Too many people will be taking shelter there, attracting hordes of zombies and putting a strain on already limited resources. If you've ever played No Mercy in Left 4 Dead, you'll know what I'm talking about.

2) Hospitals are usually ground zero in an outbreak, meaning we risk greater exposure to whatever virus is causing this if we decide to hole up there.

Places to avoid in an infection: Government buildings, police stations, churches, and hospitals. Survivors will be flocking to these places in droves, and the zombie masses will be only a few steps behind them.

RaNDM G:

Norendithas:
From that point I would say we should try to hole up at a warehouse, office building, shipyard, or maybe even a hospital nearby.

The first three are all very good ideas. Each provide ample space and plenty of corners you can use to lose a crowd. But there are two reasons why visiting the hospital is suicidal.

1) Too many people will be taking shelter there, attracting hordes of zombies and putting a strain on already limited resources. If you've ever played No Mercy in Left 4 Dead, you'll know what I'm talking about.

2) Hospitals are usually ground zero in an outbreak, meaning we risk greater exposure to whatever virus is causing this if we decide to hole up there.

Places to avoid in an infection: Government buildings, police stations, churches, and hospitals. Survivors will be flocking to these places in droves, and the zombie masses will be only a few steps behind them.

All points are very true. I figure there's no harm in skirting past a hospital to see if there's much commotion on the outside at the very least, and if there wasn't much activity in the area or nearby areas we could always peak in. But the only reason I would suggest such a thing is that while if the outbreak occurred over a slower course, normally the infection would have started in a hospital. But since it happened and spread like wildfire over night, I would think that if it did start in a hospital, it would have become much less of a threat. But as I said, you should only go in if there's not much activity nearby or in the immediate area. Besides, that would only be a last option type of thing. I would prefer a warehouse the most as it would be much easier to keep as a base of operations. Easier to defend than other places by far, plenty of space, containers could be used to block entrances and narrow down places you'd have to defend. ^^

Benndak:
At this point, I was sort of just waiting for some input because this choice scares me.

It scared me too Benndak. As you can see from my semiextended hiatus. Apologies again.

I've got quite a bit going on, with school and doctors appointments and psychology, so I'm not updating as much as I wanted to. I'll be away for the weekend as well.

So we're grabbing a radio & assorted crap, then running the hell out of the city. If that fails, we're heading for a warehouse or shipyard. On the way, we're making a trip to the hospital.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was time to move on. The rooftop was just too vulnerable for an extended stay, and our shelter wasn't worth the risk of staying. We left a note and some of the food we couldn't carry, and wrote signs to hang over the sides of the rooftop. If other survivors or a helicopter were to pass over, the signs would inform them of the abandoned shelter. We also took the boards off the doors and removed the barricades to allow fleeing survivors to reach the shelter easily if required.

We noticed a distinct lack of zombies in the lower floors. I took the opportunity to grab a gun and some ammo, as well as batteries, a manually powered torch and a hand-cranked survival radio with a broadcast option. Loaded up with gear and Oliver covered in the blood of more fallen zombies, we pushed on.

Due to the abundance of zombies in the direct route out from the city, we took a longer route around the edges. We passed a few empty warehouses, a few burning buildings, car crashes and still no survivors and very few corpses. It was almost as if every human in the city was undead except us.

The sight of a red laser dot on the ground in front of me stopped me in my tracks. I looked at the windows above to spot an armed figure standing in the windows of an apartment building. He/she waved at us, beckoning us inside. Looking closely, I saw a number of other armed men/women standing at other windows in the same building.


Choices: Pick one from each group.

What gun did you take?
1. Handgun (eg M9) .
2. Revolver (eg .44 Magnum).
3. Bolt-action rifle (Like Jacob's).
4. Semiautomatic Carbine (eg M1 Carbine).
5. Assault rifle, civilian semiautomatic (eg M16).
6. Double barrel shotgun (Buckshot)

Actions?
a) Go inside the building.
b) Keep walking, ignore the gunman/woman.
c) Make a "negative" sign to the gunperson and keep walking.
d) Take cover and open fire on the gunpeople.

Hints: You're not getting much today.
- The bolt-action-rifle is the same kind as Jacob's, so you can share ammo.
- The assault rifle is fixed to only fire on semi-automatic. If you find the right person and some tools, you can change that.

3 Because it's the same type as Jacobs chances are it's a fairly common gun which means more ammo. For actions let's go with A) safety in numbers and all that good stuff.

Hey, it's not dead!

Alright, down to business. We've already got a lot of other things done in a serious manner, so fuck it, let's be cool as shit. Take the revolver, and name her Liv Tyler.

I'd also feel terrible if we let those trained gunmen up in that building hanging. Go up there and give them a high five or something!

I vote handgun. While it'd be nice to share ammo, it'd also be nice to take down zombies pretty quick in the event we got swarmed.

I'd meet up with the survivors, but keep an eye out for any kind of trap. Yeah, it's the apocalypse, but...it's the apocalypse.

Because I have plenty to talk about concerning weapons, I'll start with what course of action we should take first.

b) Keep walking. The most important thing right now is to get out of the city. It would be a good idea to ask the survivors where the zombies are congregating most; that way you can head in the other direction. But you shouldn't hole yourself up with a group that big. There's always the odd chance that one or more of them are infected.

As for weapons, I would have suggested taking a pump-action shotgun, but that kind of weapon wasn't among the options listed. That means I'll have to go with...

5. An AR with a 16" barrel is compact enough to use in tight spaces and has the range to hit a target at about 200 yards (depending on the weather and how good your aim is). Most dealers you come across will carry AR parts and .223 Remington is one of the most common types of ammunition available in the U.S. Finding ammunition and replacement parts for your gun shouldn't be much of an issue.

The M1 carbine would be my second preferred option. It's tough, compact and easy to use, but .30 cal just isn't as easy to come by as .223.

A handgun is perfect for when you get grabbed by a zombie and need a quick way to kill him, but aiming a handgun requires you to hold your hands out to get a better shot. It'll be easier for a zombie to grab you in that instance, so it's not worth using one unless you need a backup weapon.

Ninjat_126:
- The bolt-action-rifle is the same kind as Jacob's, so you can share ammo.

Convenient, but having two snipers in a group can be redundant. Besides, you probably wouldn't want to shoot a zombie unless it were up close anyway.

Bolt-action rifles in my experience can be very glitchy. Post-war models like the SKS are very reliable and very accurate weapons. However, someone who is inexperienced with firearms is going to have a tough time using a bolt-action. Even if properly oiled and maintained, the bolt-action can be very stiff, and it can be easy to jam your weapon by cycling too fast. Most of these rifles are also quite heavy compared to the other weapons available, are cumbersome to use in close-quarters, and have a pretty low rate of fire since you have to cycle every shot by hand. Bolt-action rifles are good for sharpshooting, just not for room-clearing.

A shotgun would be nice to have, but not a double-barrel. Besides being a hassle to reload, most modern double-barrels fire both shells at once, meaning you'd be wasting two shells in one shot. Again, I would choose a pump-action shotgun over everything else available, but I wouldn't take this.

All issues with handguns apply to the .44 Magnum revolver, except now you're limiting yourself to only six shots. .44 Mag is serious overkill, and firing it will break your wrist if you don't have a good grip on the weapon. If you were going to take a handgun, you would be better off grabbing something with a lot less kick.

Sporting shop get a weapon and some gear to protect yourself with then to the grocery store to get food and then the hardware store to use those bits of wood to seal off doors and windows and then go out to the gun store last maybe not at all guns make A LOT of noise.

Draenin12:
Sporting shop get a weapon and some gear to protect yourself with then to the grocery store to get food and then the hardware store to use those bits of wood to seal off doors and windows and then go out to the gun store last maybe not at all guns make A LOT of noise.

You do realize we're three pages into this, right?

Hey again. I'm going away for the weekend, so hang in there for a few days.

RaNDM G:

As for weapons, I would have suggested taking a pump-action shotgun, but that kind of weapon wasn't among the options listed. That means I'll have to go with...

Nope. There wasn't one in the shop. Also, the guns themselves aren't M1 Carbines and .44 Magnums, they're crappy imitations liable to break at dramatically opportune moments. You have been warned.

Ninjat_126:
Also, the guns themselves aren't M1 Carbines and .44 Magnums, they're crappy imitations liable to break at dramatically opportune moments. You have been warned.

Maybe this should have been stated in your last post. Just a suggestion.

Sorry. Really, I'm barely updating at all now. I've been writing 3 or so other stories and have been having a severe case of writer's block.

Ok. Going from the varied votes, I'm saying A, go inside, and number 5, the assault rifle. I'll call it Tyler.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Safety in numbers. Jacob and I entered the building, to be confronted by a pair of gas-mask and riot armour wearing men behind a makeshift barricade of tables and chairs. After a brief search for injuries and concealed weapons, we were returned our unconcealed weapons and allowed upstairs.

Up on the third floor, we ran into more guards, wearing the same police protective gear but with clear plastic visors on their helmets. They waved us in as well. Inside the first room, we found a collection of people in police uniforms. Even here, they were still holding their weapons and there was a distinct lack of conversation for such a large group.

We were pulled aside by one of of the officers; he appeared to hold some authority.

"Don't get too settled in, we'll be moving out in an hour. We're the remains of the city's police department, and until last night we were comfortably secured inside the hospital. At around 7:00 pm, a massive horde of these zombie things broke in and tore us to pieces. There's another group of police and survivors still on the top floors of the hospital, but they're trapped and need our help to escape. Any help you can give would be appreciated."

As it turned out, most of the city was killed or reanimated in the first night before anyone had a clue what was going on. The next morning, the highways into the city were blocked by huge traffic jams and the drivers were easy prey for the undead. By this morning, they had spread to the outlying suburbs. The military was mostly controlling the spread, but a number of outbreaks had been spotted in other cities around the country and a place this small was of a much lower priority.

If we stayed to help with the rescue, we would have a larger group to travel with when we made our escape. But would that be worth the risk?

Choices:
a) Help the rescue!
b) Leave now, try and escape the city.

Minor Choice:
Feel free to ask the police officers any question you'd like to. Not everything will be helpful though, try not to waste the opportunity.

Hints:
- The suburbs are filled with zombies, remember?
- You might want to learn more about the rare zombie types. Hint hint.

A, because it's better to stay with a group of people who are at least basically trained with their firearms. And no matter what, save two bullets; one for you, one for Jacob if he doesn't have one left.

As for questions, let's stay on task and ask about the zombies: any special types they've seen, and most effective ways of dealing with them.

We didn't get the .44, so we'd be useless in a firefight. A.

 Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked