The Tower of Druaga (heroic fantasy- Started)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 NEXT

avouleance2nd:

Raynoson:

avouleance2nd:

Well you can't get rid of me that easily.

Wouldn't dream of it =P. Hope CERN was nice.

Thanks and yeah there was a lot of cool stuff there.

Like the Higgs-Boson (which I can say was there with 5 sigma accuracy he he)

hiei82:

Snip

That was mentioned a fair bit, so what exactly does the sigma mean in that context?

avouleance2nd:

hiei82:

Snip

That was mentioned a fair bit, so what exactly does the sigma mean in that context?

"sigma" is the greek symbol that is used to denote "standard deviation" in science and mathematics.

The problem with subatomic particles is that they cannot observe them directly in most cases. instead, they need to observe the effect the particle would have to predict the existence of particle itself. A good example of this is the neutrino, which cannot be detected directly because of it's speed and ability to pass through most forms of matter with ease (it would take 2 years of a neutrino passing through lead before it would be stopped) Instead, they send it through water and watch for the effect it causes (Cherenkov radiation) to "see" it.

The Higgs is even harder to detect, because it has no active effect (it "gives" mass to matter). So, what CERN did, is that collided millions of particles millions of times, which split the particles they shot and recombined them into other, different, particles - the Higgs included. They couldn't control what they made, so they just let probability do what it does best. They shot tons of particles and measured the results so that they could look for the distribution of high energy particles. Because of the theory of the standard model (an equation that predicts what particles exist), they knew what the distribution should look like if the Higgs existed and what it should look like if it didn't. Then, they mapped the data they got from the LHC and tried to match it up to what they predicted.

When they say they "predict the Higgs-Boson's existence within 5 sigma" that means that the variation of their results is so close, they have 5 sigma's (standard deviations) of "buffer." That means that, statistically, there is only about a 1 in 2 million chance they are wrong. The reason that 5 sigma is so significant is that 5 sigma is the accepted mathematical-variation-standard for particle physics (i.e. they can say they found the Higgs-Boson with such a degree of certainty that they can use the data as scientific proof)

hiei82:

avouleance2nd:

hiei82:

Snip

"sigma" is the greek symbol that is used to denote "standard deviation" in science and mathematics.

The problem with subatomic particles is that they cannot observe them directly in most cases. instead, they need to observe the effect the particle would have to predict the existence of particle itself. A good example of this is the neutrino, which cannot be detected directly because of it's speed and ability to pass through most forms of matter with ease (it would take 2 years of a neutrino passing through lead before it would be stopped) Instead, they send it through water and watch for the effect it causes (Cherenkov radiation) to "see" it.

The Higgs is even harder to detect, because it has no active effect (it "gives" mass to matter). So, what CERN did, is that collided millions of particles millions of times, which split the particles they shot and recombined them into other, different, particles - the Higgs included. They couldn't control what they made, so they just let probability do what it does best. They shot tons of particles and measured the results so that they could look for the distribution of high energy particles. Because of the theory of the standard model (an equation that predicts what particles exist), they knew what the distribution should look like if the Higgs existed and what it should look like if it didn't. Then, they mapped the data they got from the LHC and tried to match it up to what they predicted.

When they say they "predict the Higgs-Boson's existence within 5 sigma" that means that the variation of their results is so close, they have 5 sigma's (standard deviations) of "buffer." That means that, statistically, there is only about a 1 in 2 million chance they are wrong. The reason that 5 sigma is so significant is that 5 sigma is the accepted mathematical-variation-standard for particle physics (i.e. they can say they found the Higgs-Boson with such a degree of certainty that they can use the data as scientific proof)

Thanks for that, cleared a few things up.

Right, made a post. It's not long or well though up, but I'm sleepy and I've gotta get up early, so I don't care ._.

I've got a friend who'd really like to join this game I've shown him to relevant information.
Would it be ok if he joins as part of the next level?
I could bring him into this thread to talk about it.
Also did we ever sort out who's next to run a level?
Because I'd like to volunteer.

I don't think we decided on anything beyond we would like to get through this level and onto the next one, and we all showed our level thingy's, of course

Ok so I'll tell him to come on and post here to talk about any ideas he's got
It'll be his first time as well.

I actually want to reboot the game after this level. I'll just have everyone rest at the next large city. If you have a current character, you can keep them or make a new one. It'll also give other players a chance to join. The people who have yet to DM will be set on priority.

Also, no talking giant spider companion/mount for us.
D:

Ah a Reboot! We're doomed! But it actually might be good to get rid of people who have left for over what? A few months?

and I had a plan to either kill off or get them out of the group for my level already planned out.

Wait, why are we rebooting the game? And who is going to be affected by this?

A reboot you say?! Preposterous! Blasphemy! A good idea!

Or you could have an "arc" sort of deal and since this is what, the third arc? We can add/remove people every arc. And every level we have a new arc but I reboot is fine.

Thinking about a reboot? Uh, I-eh, I'm just gonna let others talk about that before I jump on that.

Not gonna lie, I was kinda planning on killing Vertias and Zavier at some point. I chose to spare Stonefuse because NastoK just got his internet back so he's probably busy getting reacquainted.

And don't worry about mounts Asc, I have something in mind.

I'd be fine with a re-boot
Might even give me a chance to re-grow that arm while we wait.
We can still keep our characters though right?

I am pro Reboot, but I think in that case we should discuss the problems that caused the need for a reboot so we can prevent the from occurring again. We may want to all get on the same page as far as overarching plots is concerned.

The cause of the reboot is by my guess the fact so many people left and went *PooF*. If not then maybe all the hectic foo loo loo going on with people, places, and power.

@Raynoson: I agree about the leaving thing, but the question is why they went "*PooF*"

You're aware that only 3 people disappeared, right? And we gained Raynoson. You make it sound like a mass exodus.

I don't think it's something that can be avoided. Even in a best case scenario some people won't be able to commit to a game- things happen in their lives, they lose interest, etc. Events are still hectic for me.

Another thread would be more about starting a new arc and giving us time to refresh. I like Ramirez, only I'm not really sure what to do with him at this point. Personally, I don't care for threads that go on and on- after a while it becomes impenetrable and stops being cohesive. I prefer a more tight plot and feeling of engagement.

I'll agree with that, and yes overall things in life arise that cause issues with commitment. Understandable as it is, and tightening up any story really helps.

Asclepion:
Another thread would be more about starting a new arc and giving us time to refresh. I like Ramirez, only I'm not really sure what to do with him at this point. Personally, I don't care for threads that go on and on- after a while it becomes impenetrable and stops being cohesive. I prefer a more tight plot and feeling of engagement.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
And every level we have a new arc but I reboot is fine.

Then we have a thread per level? Sounds fine to me. I don't really mind a reboot, would spare me having to read all the posts I missed (which I still haven't done for some reason), and I could switch from Stonefuse to something more meatbaggy.

It wasn't so much that 3 people disappeared so much as they disappeared so early on in the game, almost simultaneously, and with next to no warning. As for the reboot, alright, whatever, I've got a few friends interested in this, so we should get a decent showing

Hey guys. Im the guy that avouleance mentioned. What do i need to do to apply? This is my first rp so hopefully itll go well :)

dalekprince:
Hey guys. Im the guy that avouleance mentioned. What do i need to do to apply? This is my first rp so hopefully itll go well :)

Hello and Welcome :)
A new OOC thread will go up as soon as one of our own completes his section. It will contain all the needed info.

Also while helping DP with character ideas I decided to get a new concept down in case I decide to retire Prail. It's early days but I'd appreciate feedback on the concept I'm working on.

So how's that? A potential successor?

Anyone else Care to share?

Also idea what if the re-boot is like a 1 year on thing so it would give a chance to rework people staying on, maybe get some upgrades in or develop a relationship (Wedding bells as an example).

avouleance2nd:
Also while helping DP with character ideas I decided to get a new concept down in case I decide to retire Prail. It's early days but I'd appreciate feedback on the concept I'm working on.

So how's that? A potential successor?

Anyone else Care to share?

Also idea what if the re-boot is like a 1 year on thing so it would give a chance to rework people staying on, maybe get some upgrades in or develop a relationship (Wedding bells as an example).

The curse seems rather extreme and might interfere with a great deal of things, at the same time it makes great for a character development. Overall an interesting character but power/curse will cause issues I think.

Though if I bother to keep Cecilia(maybe) or change it up(likely) then there will be issues if the two meet.

Raynoson:

snip

Hypothetically if they are together long enough the part will eventually sort of get to know her, enough that she doesn't have to explain who she is every day they may even get to know her a bit, understand who she is at the time.
Of course she's still going to be screwed over if she wants to try and start a relationship.
That's part of the reason she's so open she doesn't have enough time for subtlety, she needs to be fast so that she can actually get anywhere.

Anyone else have any other ideas cause I'd like any feedback you can offer?

I find the curse interesting, and could end up being fun... but also might explode into our faces, so to speak. The never-aging thing is also interesting, and reminds me somewhat of Aes Sedai from The Wheel of Time. The camera is fine-ish, I guess, and it's obviously something of import for the character, so she can remember. Only beef I have is magic, even though you don't call it that.

Asclepion:
Due to the sheer enormity of the structure and world, it is likes that virtually any culture concept you could think of exists -somewhere-. Worldsetting is high medieval. Magic exists, but to learn how to use it asks for nearly complete dedication on its studies, and mostly even then you specialize in certain aspect of it: some element, certain types of spell, and so on. Magic items are rare and difficult to create.

Sure, she lived long enough to be able to acquire it through study, but still... Well, I made my opinion clear before, I'd like less powerful characters, and I don't see being less.

If the others don't mind/care however, well then, I can't fight the voice of the many.

NastoK:
I find the curse interesting, and could end up being fun... but also might explode into our faces, so to speak. The never-aging thing is also interesting, and reminds me somewhat of Aes Sedai from The Wheel of Time. The camera is fine-ish, I guess, and it's obviously something of import for the character, so she can remember. Only beef I have is magic, even though you don't call it that.

Asclepion:
Due to the sheer enormity of the structure and world, it is likes that virtually any culture concept you could think of exists -somewhere-. Worldsetting is high medieval. Magic exists, but to learn how to use it asks for nearly complete dedication on its studies, and mostly even then you specialize in certain aspect of it: some element, certain types of spell, and so on. Magic items are rare and difficult to create.

Sure, she lived long enough to be able to acquire it through study, but still... Well, I made my opinion clear before, I'd like less powerful characters, and I don't see being less.

If the others don't mind/care however, well then, I can't fight the voice of the many.

I could just dump/ really nurf the telekinesis to be honest it doesn't add much to her as a character.

avouleance2nd:

Uuu, I like this. It's obvious that I'd like to make a new character, and this would help getting rid of Stonefuse. Say, he didn't feel like waiting in that town, so he went on scaling the tower without them. Heck, he can later be used as an NPC even. That might be interesting.

avouleance2nd:
I could just dump/ really nurf the telekinesis to be honest it doesn't add much to her as a character.

After a second read of her notable skills, they don't seem that powerful, it's more that there are so many. If it were only one of those, or even two, it would be better, though since we're here to discuss this I'll go forth and say that I kinda dislike the "memory wipe" one.

Seems fine to me (though I've only re-read the notable skills as I presumed that's what you edited. Wasn't Asc going to make a new thread for this?

Yeah, apparently whenever we finish this level

NastoK:
Seems fine to me (though I've only re-read the notable skills as I presumed that's what you edited. Wasn't Asc going to make a new thread for this?

Yeah I just deleted some stuff.

Also I'm ready to move on whenever it seems like most of what we've got to do in this world has been done and it might be best to move on and give our character some time to dress.

I'd like to mention that I've also a friend that might be interested in joining in. I'm guessing he won't be posting here, but instead wait for the new thread. Just giving a heads up.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here