I Am Kira: A Death Note RP (CLOSED, Begun!)

Pages PREV 1 2

"You have all been summoned here, as you are all qualified in your own way to assist in the investigation. Introduce yourselves however you wish to be called, and if there any questions, ask."

The scrawny man dressed in informal clothing eyed the pictures as they were passed around the table, flicking his glasses into place as they came around to him. Criminals, and yakuza at that. The world wouldn't miss them.

No, what was more interesting was the fact that a new Kira had risen to carry on the old one's legacy. Someone had been given the power to take a life with a few strokes of a pen or pencil. Now, that certainly made things interesting.

As his new companions introduced themselves, the man raked his thoughts for a suitable alias. As the captain had pointed out, names were indeed precious commodities. Hmm... Yes, that would work.

"Hello all. I do hope we can all cooperate to help track down and catch this new murderer. If you need to call me something, Pallas will do. Though I'll also answer to 'hey you,' 'guy,' or 'you with the glasses.'"

Pallas gave a small smile as he joked, only to lose it as he realized nobody was laughing. Comedy wasn't exactly his strong point, and this was probably the wrong crowd anyways.

As his comrades shot questions at the acting Captain, Pallas merely sat there, not interacting with anyone but watching and listening, drinking in the words and actions. He would wait until everyone else was done before proposing his own queries.

9:55 PM

'How were we selected?'

"By hand." the Captain responds, unfazed. Whether it is because he does not know more or he does not wish to divulge it, that is all the explanation he gives. The Undertaker is the next to speak.

"I do not doubt that Acting Captain Kobi, but what I hoped to get at without resorting to saying it outright is that...if you were Kira themself, and assuming this one is just as intelligent as their predecessor, would you not come up on the same lists each of us did? And to go even farther, if you were the new Kira, would you not also want to gather as many of the most proficient in our field together to learn who of is the most dangerous. And eliminate us accordingly."

Kobo smiles again. It is an action that anyone in their right mind would beg him to stop. "An excellent observation. If that is your suspicion I encourage you to hold it close. Even if this group is to cooperate, none of us are absolved of guilt."

The acting Captain watches as the Undertaker goes about his myriad ways of thought. Though he is once again stoic, it seems he approves.

"Do we know in what order they died in? Was the heart attack first, the two suicides, the hanging? Which was it? Tentative first steps if it was the heart attack, maybe Kira was unsure of what his new tool did, then suicides twice to make sure of his newfound power, if so, the hanging is his first public "execution", we know it'll only go more publicized from there..."

"We know most of the details." Kobi tells him. "This portion of your job has been done for you. Approximately 70 hours ago, Toji Kudo died, approximately 12 minutes following a news broadcast detailing his case. There was a 40 minute pause, likely for contemplation of actions, morality, and then further research, before Arakaki died. A fourteen-hour and fifteen minute pause then occurs, presumably for plausible deniability in connecting the killings. That was when Gozoboro Long died."

He shuffles through the papers in his envelope, continuing, "Gato is the anomaly. A full twenty-hours, longer than any plausible deniability required, occurred before his death. His is the toughest to connect to the others, but possible. Still a criminal, responsible for affronts to innocent and men in power alike. Plenty would want him dead. Same line of work, but different gang; that's important. Tougher to connect to the others, but still selectable by Kira in the right train of thought."

He chooses not to respond to Yumi's question, apparently satisfied with the Undertaker's response. He waits, seeing when the others would choose to speak up.

It is not particularly conspicuous, but a bored-looking Beak appears to be texting under the table while the Undertaker is speaking.

"This portion of your job has been done for you. Approximately 70 hours ago, Toji Kudo died, approximately 12 minutes following a news broadcast detailing his case. There was a 40 minute pause, likely for contemplation of actions, morality, and then further research, before Arakaki died. A fourteen-hour and fifteen minute pause then occurs, presumably for plausible deniability in connecting the killings. That was when Gozoboro Long died."

"70 hours, 12 minutes, 40 minutes, 14 hours, yes. That sounds right, though that seems a bit short for a first-time killer. Maybe not murders, but pet killings,maybe, a person with little morals to begin with, that helps narrow down our list of potential suspects immensely once we are able to begin bringing them in for questioning. If it gets to that anyways."

He began pacing again, behind the man calling himself Beak, but too wrapped up in his thoughts to notice the light tap of fingers and slight glow from under the table.

"Helps us greatly, but 14 hours could also simply be a sleep cycle, or maybe work, school even, busyness. Or maybe the power of the tool sinking in even more. Maybe simply consulting with themselves, plausible deniability is just one of dozens of explanations. Though considering who and what we will be dealing with, it's as good as another for the moment. Too many variables still, do we have any leads we can follow up on? Or will this simply be a cerebral investigation?"

Rust glanced over at Beak.

Beak folds his phone shut and tucks it in his pocket with an innocent smile after seeing some glances come his way. He leans back in his seat calmly and tries to focus on the information presented in the case. The Undertaker is making enough noise for the lot of them, so concentrating is difficult. Beak works his cane between his fingers, deep in thought, processing the information from everyone's questions before he finally speaks up again.

"Sorry about that. Had to remind my cat-sitter to feed Snuggles before locking up for the night." He stops fiddling with his cane before letting it rest with a sharp pat on the picture of Sato. Beak slides the picture over, taking it in his hands and flicking it with his fingers so that it faces the rest of the group.

"From the timetable we've just been given, I'd say thing's worked out like this: September 12, 7:47pm, Kira is watching the news and sees Toji Kudo being broadcast. He or she isn't sure if what they have is this 'Death Note', so they test it. Forty minutes pass, likely so that Kira can continue their normal lives, until the next victim is killed at 8:27pm."

Beak scratches the side of his nose, clearly trying to piece everything together as he works it all through. His face squints and wrinkles as he thinks, and he starts back up again, his voice soft and focused.

"The next morning, 10:43am, Gozoboro is killed. He is the only death that day, so we can assume something kept Kira from their duties on September 13th. September 14th, at 6:43am, Sato dies, hung in the jail yard. So..."

He goes back to spinning his cane in his hand, clearly enraptured by the story he's been telling all this time. The excitement of keeping up with all these smart professionals making his face glow a bit with pride.

"So, we're looking for an early bird that watches the news blocks of 6:35am to approximately 10:45am, as well as the evening news between 7:35pm and 8:30pm. Kira is socially active, as evidenced by the gaps between killings, and something or someone on September 13th and 14th prevented Kira from making any more kills. I'd start by monitoring which news stations were broadcasting the criminals' cases in those news blocks. Then what events might have been held for two days, the evenings of the 13th and the 14th."

Beak places the photo of Sato back down on the conference table, and goes back to leaning calmly in his seat. It's obvious that he is out of his depth when it concerns detective work, but his efforts to keep up with the group are also showing.

As the rest of the team introduced themselves, Mr. Vega did his best to keep up. There was the meekly Rust, who was just a boy compared to the rest of the group. Then there was the woman, Yumi, who appeared to be just as sharp as she was beautiful. And finally the man who went by Pallas. He carried himself with an air of easy confidence that was rare to find, at least in Mr. Vega's experience. Before Mr. Vega could size any of them up any further, the one known as Undertaker began rattling off his own theories.

"...And eliminate us accordingly" Mr. Vega looked confused as Undertaker continued to speak, spitting out the words faster than the veteran cop could digest them.

"I would like to support the Undertaker's theory at this point that the likelihood of Kira being one of us is extremely high." The boy Rust added his voice to the mix, in support of Undertakers theory.

If Mr. Vega was having a hard time following the Undertaker before, it became even harder as the man began to go through the time tables of the first victims. His difficulty was increased when Beak began to add his thoughts to the mix. At least Beak spoke slow enough for Mr. Vega to follow.

"Hold up a minute friends." Mr. Vega held up a hand, trying to get everyone's attention. "Some of us aren't as young and energetic. I need to get a few things straight." Mr Vega took a look around the table as he spoke, studying his new coworkers with his dark eyes. He kept his voice stern as he spoke.

"Are we really saying that Kira could be one of us? Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems a bit premature doesn't it? Now, I might not know any of you particularly well yet but no one here strikes me as a killer. At least not yet." Mr. Vega put his hands flat on the table, his body relaxing before he continued.

"I don't know a lot of things, but I know how to work a case. We can sit here all day playing 'what if', but we are not going to get anywhere without some good old fashioned field work. Captain, what kind of resources are we going to have to work with?"

Rust looked at Vega, his blue gaze focusing somewhere near the older man's eyes; clear enough to make it known who he was addressing, but avoiding making too obvious of a connection.
'Think about it,' he said quietly, so that he would only be heard by someone who was making a conscious effort to pay attention - particularly over the continued noises of his colleagues.
'If you were Kira, wouldn't you want to know how you were being chased? How close you were to being caught? If this Kira's at all clever, they will have made themselves visible to those who selected this team, and ensured that they can learn exactly how much danger they're in.'
Rust fell silent, becoming conscious that he was liable to be noticed. He shrank back into his chair, waiting for more information.

Itachi was startled by the forwardness and exuberance his peers had demonstrated by getting as stuck into the case as possible from the moment the envelope touched the table.
Not a lot of time had passed, and already people were quick to come to the conclusion that Kira was one of the individuals present in this very room.

The individual calling himself 'Rust', posed a particularly succinct explanation, that he couldn't help but agree with.

"Think about it, if you were Kira, wouldn't you want to know how you were being chased? How close you were to being caught? If this Kira's at all clever, they will have made themselves visible to those who selected this team, and ensured that they can learn exactly how much danger they're in"

Slamming his palms on the table, Itachi rose from his seat, before clutching at his head almost in pain.

"Rust is right! This is just what Light Yagamai did! First experimentation, then infiltration, followed finally by elimination!"

Itachi thrust his finger into the air, before stabbing it straight at Rust to demonstrate his point. He then to exaggeratedly punctuate and number his points, his fingers flicking up in the blink of an eye.

"Are we really saying that Kira could be one of us? Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems a bit premature doesn't it? Now, I might not know any of you particularly well yet but no one here strikes me as a killer. At least not yet."

His attention was drawn now to the imposing figure of the aged 'Mr Vega'.

"You are both right, and wrong Mr Vega. It IS premature to denounce one of us as one of the most potential dangerous serial killers known to the world, BUT it is also this irrationality that spawns from the fear coupled with an intelligent mind that also makes sense."

He took a moment to catch his breath, before pacing to the end of the table and slamming his palms onto the worktop.

"Every one of you strikes me as a killer. We all are, under the right circumstances at least. Kira is someone who encountered the perfect set of circumstances... FOR MURDER! With great power comes great responsibility! But absolute power corrupts absolutely! Now for Kira... nothing is true, everything is permitted!"

Rust sat quietly as Itachi made a lot of noise, remaining still and focused determinedly on the table even as the man's finger came to point directly at him. It was true, it was something Yagami would have done - which begged the question:
'How much does this Kira know of the last..?' Rust whispered to himself, so quietly that none of the others would have heard.

10:03 PM

"Too many variables still, do we have any leads we can follow up on? Or will this simply be a cerebral investigation?"

"Captain, what kind of resources are we going to have to work with?"

"Both possibilities hold some truth, and some falsehood, Mr. Undertaker. We know that the new Kira is somewhere within this town. It will, beyond that, be up to you to narrow down a suspect list from there. You may go about this as you wish. You have full access to the town's records. Names, birthdates, basic portfolios including school performance and criminal records on every citizen. In a town of 20,000, daunting. But you may call upon the resources of the Task Force to help you in the grunt work. Everyone, program this number into your cell phones immediately."

He then says, aloud, a phone number with an area code no one recognizes. "This will be your line to us. Call us to inquire on research, or to narrow the town's population lists to your specifications. Things like this, we have men for. The investigation otherwise is yours to pursue as you wish. Be it through cooperation or competition."

He continues to glance around, and though his eyes are shielded he is still quite plainly observing everything that can be ascertained from their words and faces. Finally, he turns to one man who has not yet spoken. "Mr. Yamato, do you wish to share anything?"

This so-called Yamato scratches at the back of his neck nervously. "L-listen, Mr. Acting-Captain-Sir, I'm a journalist. This is groundbreaking scoop stuff and all, but... but I'm not sure I'm cut out for it! I don't think I have what it takes to risk my life and all, I'd just be a liability..."

The Captain nods in understanding. "Consider yourself under no obligation. The door behind me will lead you to the exit. You may go home, Mr. Yamato."

"T-thanks." says the man, meekly waving to the others as he stands up and moves for the door. They barely hear him whisper in a timid voice, "Sorry for wasting your time..."

The door clicks behind him, and he is gone.

Rust glanced around at the assembled team as the door closed behind Yamato. That was one person in this entire massive city, at least, who could be ruled out as Kira. He quickly typed the number into his phone as the journalist left.
While he was hardly used to being noticed, it seemed he would have to do some of the talking at least if they were to achieve anything.
'Where do you suggest we start?' he asked, his voice determinedly quieter than usual speaking level. 'Or are you really leaving us free, unsupervised, and able to conduct the investigation as we wish?'

"We should split into groups of two, with one group of three." Beak says, speaking up for the first time in a while. He watches 'Yamato' leave with a shrewd look that suggests he is none too pleased that the team has gotten smaller already. He interlaces his hands and places them on the back of his head, relaxed, but deeply in thought.

"It would be the easiest way to conduct our investigation, don't you think? We'd cover the most ground, and be the most effective."

Beak begins tapping his foot lightly again, scanning the room, slowly watching everyone's face, with quiet determination.

"We'd need to keep in contact with each other, obviously. But two-to-three-person groups would also attract less attention. The last thing we want is a frenzy or panic."

Rust nodded in response to Beak's suggestion.
'Were it late enough in the investigation to form hypotheses on each of our colleagues,' he said slowly, 'I would suggest that we each select the team member we believe most likely to be Kira. However, this would likely not result in even teams, nor do I think we can decide that yet. Which leads me to wonder, how would you like to select your partner?'
He looked up at Beak, his eyes carefully directed just to the side of the other man's face to avoid making direct contact. He would have to get used to being noticed, it seemed.

"Damn over-priced piece of junk...how do ya..hold up, is this the button? Damn, piece of scrap metal." Mr. Vega continued to mutter to himself, fumbling to program the Task Force number into his phone. His muttering increased in speed and severity until finally culminating in a string of barely audible swears and a loud thud as he slammed his phone onto the table.

"Screw this, I'll write the damn thing down." Reaching into his breast pocket he withdrew a slender sliver pen. On the body several characters were engraved into the metal. From his coat, Mr. Vega produced a note pad. He quickly scribbled the number down before returning both the pen and pad to their properly places. By the time the ordeal had finished, the warehouse door had just closed behind the man known as Mr. Yamato.

"Best he left now..." Mr. Vega spoke quietly to no on in particular. "We will all need a strong resolve for this case."

"We should split into groups of two, with one group of three." The foot-tapper decided to take the initiative again. A smile grew on Mr. Vega's face as Beak continued to lay out his plan.

"There we go, something I can wrap my head around. Nice and simple, just the way I like it. We can meet here every couple of days or so to share anything important. Otherwise we can contact each other by phone." Mr. Vega nodded, pleased at this plan.

"Were it late enough in the investigation to form hypotheses on each of our colleagues.." The boy Rust once again suggested that one of the people in the room was Kira.

"You know, I'm still not sure I follow you or," Mr. Vega gestured to Itachi with his left hand in a rather dismissive way, "Mr. Itachi's abstract reasoning." Mr. Vega leaned forward in his chair, placing his elbows onto the table. The shadows in the room played across his face as he spoke

"Twenty thousand suspects and you appear to have narrowed this down pretty damn fast. Four victims in and you are already making a lot of assumptions about this new Kira. You say he is intelligent, resourceful, well connected... How do you know these things, given what little we've all been told? Unless you have access to information the rest of us don't." Mr. Vega put extra emphasis on the last sentence, boring his eyes into young Rust. He let the air stand for a moment before letting out a burst of rolling laughter.

"Or maybe I am just too old and I'm losing my touch. Ha!" He relaxed back into his chair. "I don't know about the rest of you, but me and Rust will be the first team. Ain't that right friend?"

Rust gave a small smile. 'A pleasure to be working with you, Mr. Vega.'

"But you may call upon the resources of the Task Force to help you in the grunt work. Everyone, program this number into your cell phones immediately."

Undertaker listened to the number and programmed it into his new, sleek phone, putting it away afterwards.

"Good, good,"He muttered to himself,"20,000 people, 1 person, I've done it with more, but this is going to be an exceptional case.Smart, dangerous, fatal if a mistake is made...hmmmm, too many variables right now still, I'll get started on this immediately."

"It would be the easiest way to conduct our investigation, don't you think? We'd cover the most ground, and be the most effective."

Undertaker snapped out of his thoughts as this idea was put forth, his ears perked up at it.

"I'll volunteer to be on the three-man team, I work best if I can bounce ideas and form them as I go. Also it makes it easier on them if they have someone to talk to also."He then settled back into his mutterings,"20,000, age is unknown and could be anyone from 15 to 50 for all we know, recent acquisition of the tool, access to media of multiple forms probably. Methods quickly escalating, true sanity probably beginning to slip, either student or hardworking individual, hard to say at this point in time."

"Twenty thousand suspects and you appear to have narrowed this down pretty damn fast. Four victims in and you are already making a lot of assumptions about this new Kira.

He continued on his musings, thoughts becoming slightly jumbled to the surrounding people,"Narrowing it down is the only way to do this case, Kira is simply a serial killer with a sophisticated tool he uses which is also his hidden signature. They all have them, and they were all caught, Yagami Light was no different and neither is his new disciple. Maybe a cafe they frequent gives them what they need, notebooks are common sights in those places, if he's a student, having a stylized cover doesn't draw too many glances beyond the norm unless they really read the front cover, assuming this is the same kind of tool used by the previous Kira."

Rust glanced at Undertaker.
'I suspect it is the same tool. The heart attack, apparent experimentation... suggest the same limitations, at the very least.'

Taking his phone out once more, Beak programs the number that Captain Kobi instructed them to call in case of emergencies. He also takes the time to check his phone carefully, but after a few moments seems content to slide it back into his pocket.

Beak chuckles to himself, apparently amused that his plan has been taken to so quickly. He spins his cane between his fingers, before stopping mid-swing and pointing at the guy in the glasses who called himself "Pallas" He stares, studying the skinny man's face as if he's reading a book.

"I'd like to work with Pallas, if that's alright." he says, polite as ever. Though the discussion rages on about whether or not Kira is one of the investigators, Beak appears disinterested and does not chime in one way or the other.

Rust coughed gently as the silence dragged on, Beak's cane still aimed directly at Pallas.
'Leaving Yumi and Itachi, unless I'm mistaken,' he said quietly. 'And the Undertaker, whichever pair he would like to...' he toyed with the idea of saying 'inflict himself upon', but settled for: '..work with.'

Pallas found himself lost in thought as the others' conversations dragged on. Probably not the best course of action at an introductory meeting such as this, but then again he'd never really been one for paying attention.

Of course, that was not to say that the young man had zoned out completely; enough of his consciousness remained active to pick up on the key bits that his new... colleagues were so eagerly discussing. It seemed that the main point of contention, after only knowing each other for a few moments, was that one of the group was, in fact, Kira. An interesting assumption, and one that, as Mr. Vega pointed out, statistics seemed to deny.

Still. If on the off chance one of these men (Or woman, in Yumi's case) was Kira, they would be in a key position to take out their opposition. It would be best to tread carefully, to treat any and all of them with the utmost caution, to-

"I'd like to work with Pallas, if that's alright."

Blinking, Pallas found himself staring at the tip of cane, pointed his way by an expressionless Beak. Surprise and confusion cascading across his visage, the bespectacled man eyed the older gentleman. Why would someone he'd only just met want to partner up with him? It didn't make sense; there was no reason for it.

...Well, even if he couldn't deduce Beak's motives at the moment, there was no need to deny his request. Perhaps the man was simply very good at selecting the most competent ally in the room.

"Oh. Well, alright, I suppose. Can't see any reason why not to!"

Reaching into the satchel tucked under his chair, Pallas pulled out a smooth, featureless laptop. With the exception of a few ports, jacks, and a disc drive, the machine was utterly plain, devoid of any stickers or logos that might hint at its maker. Even the display, to those who could see it, proved to be unrecognizable, as lines of text and numerals that only made sense to one man scrolled across it.

"Do you mind giving me your email? I find it easier to communicate through messages then through phones."

Beak swings his cane so that it faces Captain Kobi, And his eyes light up for just a moment as he begins tapping his feet again. He looks happy to see Pallas has accepted his offer, and perhaps happier that their meeting seems to be making some progress. Without looking away from Kobi, Beak addresses his new partner Pallas with a calm and friendly voice.

"I was actually hoping the captain could supply us with a message delivery system. Email as it is would be too easy for Kira to gain access to, or a jouralist, or some Kira fanatic. No, if we use a secure line of communication, there is little chance of a leak."

Beak rolls his cane back and forth, once again studying the faces of the gathered team. He pauses after speaking to see how his newest suggestion will go over with the rest of the group, and leans calmly in his chair as he does so.

"I was actually hoping the captain could supply us with a message delivery system. Email as it is would be too easy for Kira to gain access to, or a jouralist, or some Kira fanatic. No, if we use a secure line of communication, there is little chance of a leak."

10:08 PM

Captain Kobi smiles, and presses a few buttons on his phone. Several moments later, a mysterious young man with sunken eyes steps into the room, a white hoodie with the hood pulled up shielding him from view. He is carrying a briefcase with him, which he handed to Kobi wordlessly. He gives a timid, almost nervous glance at those at the table before his eyes return to observing the floor. He quietly steps out of the room, leaving Kobi to open the briefcase and reveal a collection of simple cell phones that look like little black boxes.

"If you wish a secure line of communication, then you may take these. They have all of the other phones' numbers already programmed, as well as the number to contact our organization."

Kobi slides the briefcase over the table to allow the others to grab one. "If you are finished with questions, then I am finished with your briefing. You may leave as soon as you are ready. There are cars outside to take you to hotel rooms we have acquired for you. I'd suggest you rest tonight, and spend the next few days to get acquainted with the town. We will re-convene here at 9:00 PM, three days from now."

"Hmmm." Pallas gave a noncommittal grunt as he picked up the cell phone offered him. After giving the plain device a once-over, he slid it into his pocket without further comment.

"If you are finished with questions, then I am finished with your briefing. You may leave as soon as you are ready. There are cars outside to take you to hotel rooms we have acquired for you. I'd suggest you rest tonight, and spend the next few days to get acquainted with the town. We will re-convene here at 9:00 PM, three days from now."

After packing up his laptop, Pallas rose to his feet. As he slung his backpack over his shoulders, the man turned around to offer the rest of the room a slight wave. "Alright, I suppose I'll be seeing you all in a few days then. Mr... Beak, sorry, I'll be waiting for your call."

His farewell said, Pallas began making his way to the exit.

Rust took the small phone in his hand, weighing it up, and pressed a few buttons to examine its menus. He stood, sliding the device into his pocket, and left without saying another word, although he nodded to Vega as he passed.

Beak takes his new phone in his hands with a grin, and nods to the rest of the group. Rising to his feet, he leans on his cane and shuffles towards the door, Apparently eager to get the investigation going.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked