An Open Letter to The Escapist Community

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 18 NEXT

Frankly, I don't care who is running the site, so long as its being run by someone who cares about it and has a vision. Susan et al can do that. The Escapist used to be one of the pre-eminent gaming media outlets on the net; that's no small achievement and I very much doubt it was coincidence who was running the show. In terms of periphal content, like LRR, ZP, Shamus, etc etc, that was another great thing about this site - it gave a platform to budding new creators. The more creators there are the better, even if you don't personally like/agree with what they create (afterall, no-one is forcing you to read/watch it). I can only hope that this place might once more be a platform for new creators once again. Not the burnt out husk it is now. I also miss having the great gaming journalism this site was once renowned for. No, I miss having news articles double checked for obvious spelling, grammar and bb-code errors. Scratch that, I miss having news articles. Infact, I miss having content of any description.

Eri:
Wow social justice much? Just what all gamers love, Anita Sarkeesian.

no one gives damn about how you feel slick.

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Quite serious.

I mean, let's get real. It wouldn't make money. Running a web site that turns a profit requires a lot of resources, and there's just no real point in attempting that with a gaming site in this current financial environment. So it would be something done out of love for the creators and the community, nothing more.

To that end, what I'd want to do first is return all the brands to their creators. LRR would own Unskippable again, Bob would own The Big Picture, and so forth.

Then we clean the FUCK out of this place. Scorched earth, motherfuckers. I honestly don't understand why you're not already doing that. If this is YOUR site now, then make the community you WANT.

I think the issue is in establishing who "YOU" refers to here. Sure, the mod team has the blessing of the last relevant staff member to run the place, but it doesn't mean we know or can all agree on what's best for the community long term. We are just mods after all, and previously our job was to champion the status quo, not turn it on its head. That said, I am sure many people would agree with you here (myself included), but the community has become quite small in recent years and going all Sherman's March might just kill off what's left outright.

The mods have been discussing changes to the site (what changes we can actually technically make) and weighing the pros and cons, so it's not like we're not trying to improve things around here. It's definitely a fine line to walk, however, as many longtime users may not be so willing to trust the capabilities or intentions of volunteer moderators. Depending on how things go from her on out, that could of course change.

Shifting gears, do you think you would simply acquire the domain/brand and launch a new site entirely or build off of the existing site?

Do you see value in having 10 members if 8 of them are shitty? 'cause I don't. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I think there are some pretty easy choices you could be making.

oh I get it ban the 2 shitheels who can't step

Susan Arendt:

To that end, what I'd want to do first is return all the brands to their creators. LRR would own Unskippable again, Bob would own The Big Picture, and so forth.

If anything it'd be semi-worth it just for this, just to give the people back what's theirs. I don't know if it would mean anything in the long run, most people have moved on. Not just Bob and the LRR crew but even the people who made Apocalypse Lane, Doraleous & Associates, Unforgotten Realms, No Right Answer etc all managed to either eject, rework their material or just find other occupations. I mean sure, Bob could no longer use the assets that had made TBP so distinctive but if he really wanted to revive it wouldn't he have had some wiggle room with the format at least? Same for Unskippable, if you think about it. It's pretty hard to copyright-argue a format.
And you're not likely to get the Jimquisition, Miracle of Sound, or Extra Credits back unless they'll throw you a bone. They're all doing well for themselves now.

If Grey can promise us more webcomics I will open my wallet for you though, no questions asked.

Fappy:

I think the issue is in establishing who "YOU" refers to here. Sure, the mod team has the blessing of the last relevant staff member to run the place, but it doesn't mean we know or can all agree on what's best for the community long term. We are just mods after all, and previously our job was to champion the status quo, not turn it on its head. That said, I am sure many people would agree with you here (myself included), but the community has become quite small in recent years and going all Sherman's March might just kill off what's left outright.

Sounds like the choice is either risking it and going out with a bang if it goes wrong or do nothing and go out with a whimper.

Fappy:

The mods have been discussing changes to the site (what changes we can actually technically make) and weighing the pros and cons, so it's not like we're not trying to improve things around here. It's definitely a fine line to walk, however, as many longtime users may not be so willing to trust the capabilities or intentions of volunteer moderators. Depending on how things go from her on out, that could of course change.

A propos, do you have technical access and people able to operate the servers? Or are those living on a prayer at the moment?

I was wondering how much long the site would last before it joined GameTrailers.

Edit: I now have a questions. What happened to my profile pic?

Susan Arendt:

Do you see value in having 10 members if 8 of them are shitty? 'cause I don't. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I think there are some pretty easy choices you could be making.

Perhaps if moderators had more implied authority I would feel more comfortable making those sorts of decisions. Then again, we do have that authority now, so maybe I just need to change the way I'm looking at all this.

You've definitely given me some food for thought!

BreakfastMan:

QuiteEnjoyed2016:

Susan Arendt:

Quite serious.

I mean, let's get real. It wouldn't make money. Running a web site that turns a profit requires a lot of resources, and there's just no real point in attempting that with a gaming site in this current financial environment. So it would be something done out of love for the creators and the community, nothing more.

Then we clean the FUCK out of this place. Scorched earth, motherfuckers. I honestly don't understand why you're not already doing that. If this is YOUR site now, then make the community you WANT.

Do you promise to lead us back to the glory days of incendiary, cutting edge pieces such "Barbie is sexist: look at these six Amazon reviews (spoiler alert: I'm going to ignore the positive ones)"?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138684-Negative-Reviews-of-Computer-Engineer-Barbie-Book-Tackle-Sexism

It's tricky to see how the site imploded when that sort of quality journalism was being offered! :)

Incidentally, I doubt you could give that Bob chap his Big Picture back, I believe he imploded in a cloud of pompous sanctimony live on a video and now just sits quivering in an ice cave, wracked with manufactured guilt that every film doesn't just have an all African, all refugee, all female cast siting in semi-darkness, mumbling in serbo-croat, as tears streak their faces, about the enduring sins of the West and how they must all atone.

Unskippable was funny though.

Jesus christ. Someone is butthurt...

1/10 u butthurt at the butthurt

+low level social pressure check fail reroll with 2xd6s

Murlin:

A propos, do you have technical access and people able to operate the servers? Or are those living on a prayer at the moment?

As far as I understand we're "living on a prayer".

Caramel Frappe and Basement Cat have a far better understanding of it than I do though, so hopefully they correct me if I am wrong.

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Perhaps if moderators had more implied authority I would feel more comfortable making those sorts of decisions. Then again, we do have that authority now, so maybe I just need to change the way I'm looking at all this.

Begin the purging, Fappy! Declare a forum Exterminatus!

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Quite serious.

Shifting gears, do you think you would simply acquire the domain/brand and launch a new site entirely or build off of the existing site?

Escapist at its best was always well moderated but I wouldn't want us to become NeoGaf 2.0, we've seen where that leads and it is nowhere good. I value diversity of opinion as long as said opinion is presented in a civilized manner.

That said I'm certain if the content creators return so will the consumers of said content, I always appreciated most the new awesome content-creators as discovering such on youtube is very difficult and it could take years, these days its even worse.

BreakfastMan:

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Well, I guess there's no choice then.

Time for a Tournament of Power!

The losers get erased! :D

BreakfastMan:

QuiteEnjoyed2016:

Susan Arendt:

Quite serious.

Do you promise to lead us back to the glory days of incendiary, cutting edge pieces such "Barbie is sexist: look at these six Amazon reviews (spoiler alert: I'm going to ignore the positive ones)"?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138684-Negative-Reviews-of-Computer-Engineer-Barbie-Book-Tackle-Sexism

It's tricky to see how the site imploded when that sort of quality journalism was being offered! :)

Incidentally, I doubt you could give that Bob chap his Big Picture back, I believe he imploded in a cloud of pompous sanctimony live on a video and now just sits quivering in an ice cave, wracked with manufactured guilt that every film doesn't just have an all African, all refugee, all female cast siting in semi-darkness, mumbling in serbo-croat, as tears streak their faces, about the enduring sins of the West and how they must all atone.

Unskippable was funny though.

Jesus christ. Someone is butthurt...

He must have been holding onto that one for years, clenched betwixt his buttcheeks. ;)

Fappy:

BreakfastMan:

Fappy:

Well, I guess there's no choice then.

Time for a Tournament of Power!

The losers get erased! :D

Is it mandatory? Cause I have an aversion to getting my butt handed to me in hand to hand combat.

Reading through this thread has been a trip.

It's only really now occurred to me that 90% of the internet content I consume either came up through The Escapist, or I found out through the content creators that used to be here.

I used to be a mostly lurker/sometimes poster here nearly every day from about 2009-2014, leaving when things got crazy.

I hope something can be salvaged from this mess, because I honestly really missed the sort of community that used to exist here.

I doubt anyone remembers me - I haven't been active on this site since 2015 and I was never that popular - but this place used to be my first stop of the day. I loved the community and the content, and the place made me happy even when it made me mad, lol.

Then people started leaving. After Susan left that's when I slowly stopped coming to the site every day. I stopped paying for PubClub membership because the content I used to watch was gone, I stopped reading the forums as they made me more mad than happy.

I'm glad, if a bit surprised, to see some of my favourite members still around and now moderators. One can't buy that kind of loyalty. If you can turn this sinking ship around long enough to steer it into harbour for repairs then know I'll be cheering for youse.

And if Susan et al buy this place... Well, that'd be awesome imho.

trollnystan:
I doubt anyone remembers me

I remember your avatar and name, at least, if not your actual posting habits. :D

tm96:
I was wondering how much long the site would last before it joined GameTrailers.

Edit: I now have a questions. What happened to my profile pic?

When the Tech Team was fired they upgraded all "well behaved" users to Pub Club status, so what you are now seeing as your avatar is your Pub Club avatar.

Here's your previous avatar if I'm not mistaken, courtesy of the Way Back Machine;

I honestly didn't mind Susan's run >_>
But I guess it must be because all the naysayers are just edgy "lol u triggered?" types.

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Quite serious.

Susan, you're the best.

I agree, the biggest/best thing that could come from someone good being in charge of this place again would be all the content creators getting ownership of all of the stuff they've made.

And yea, this place needs to be razed to the ground before it could ever even begin to HOPE to be built back into anything worthwhile.

Susan Arendt:

Absimilliard:

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

In some ways, too much. In others, not enough.
Sooo, I'll just ask: how serious was your talk about buying the site?

Quite serious.

Sounds good to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Murlin said it really well:

Murlin:
Sounds like the choice is either risking it and going out with a bang if it goes wrong or do nothing and go out with a whimper.

So yeah, I really want to see you go for it. I've suddenly got more hope for the site now than I've had for some considerable time.

Man this is a bummer.

Susan Arendt:

Absimilliard:

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

In some ways, too much. In others, not enough.
Sooo, I'll just ask: how serious was your talk about buying the site?

Quite serious.

I was wondering about that since gaming sites are having a hard time with generating income and keeping the lights on. I know the community around here is what brought people, along side of good content, of course. I'd much rather have a site created and managed out of love for the community and creators than whatever has been going on around here.

As for the scorched earth, I really wouldn't mind it. And if you could get rid of the Wild West as well then that would be a cherry on top for me at least.

shrekfan246:
I remember your avatar and name, at least, if not your actual posting habits. :D

Senpai noticed me! *squees*

I remember you too and your many fun J-pop themed avatars =D

scorn the biomage:

Eri:
Wow social justice much? Just what all gamers love, Anita Sarkeesian.

no one gives damn about how you feel slick.

You mean just like how no one cares how you feel either? Got it.

Susan Arendt:

Quite serious.

Great idea to allow artists and creators to retain their brands.

Can I ask that you elaborate on "clean the FUCK out of this place"?

Susan Arendt:

I don't think it's quite that bad here anymore. As someone who's been pretty active here since the summer of 2014 and watched the GG ugliness pretty closely the ugliness has dissipated as GG has waned. For every thread preaching "Male Reproductive Rights" (LOL...) or defending Pewdiepie screaming the N-word, there are dozens of threads that are perfectly fine. It may seem bad on the surface because of a handful extremely active trolls who like to build up certain discussions and get under people's skin, but it's leaps and bounds better than where it was in 2015. Or least it seems that way to me (maybe the mods would disagree?)

Fappy:

I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know, but what the hell -- if you do take over the Escapist and start purging bad actors, I expect there's going to be pushback. And I don't mean throwing a tantrum in a few threads before getting hit with the ban hammer. I know I just finished writing that there's much less crap here since GG has waned, and it's true, but....there's still enough folks that 1) will not take such a change in ownership well, and won't be able to handle the appearance of a former GG haven being taken over by "aGG," and 2) might explore ways to disrupt the "new" Escapist.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Well look who thought they could just tippity-tap all back in here like it ain't even a thing.

@Fappy: has been biting! Biting!

Fiz_The_Toaster:
As for the scorched earth, I really wouldn't mind it. And if you could get rid of the Wild West as well then that would be a cherry on top for me at least.

Who hurt you?

Savryc:

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Well look who thought they could just tippity-tap all back in here like it ain't even a thing.

@Fappy: has been biting! Biting!

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Who hurt you?

No one.

I was always against the WW, and thought it was a stupid idea. I mean, I go in there every now and then, but that's mainly to yell at people for being dicks that think they can get away with shit or for doing stupid shit.

I wouldn't miss it if it were purged.

'Containement' subs do not work, they never worked. It's an exercise in invalidating the rules just for the sake of appeasing people who are upset by them. If you need an all purpose discussion area just use off-topic forums, if you want to allows jokey posts just allow them.

Exley97:

Susan Arendt:

I don't think it's quite that bad here anymore. As someone who's been pretty active here since the summer of 2014 and watched the GG ugliness pretty closely the ugliness has dissipated as GG has waned. For every thread preaching "Male Reproductive Rights" (LOL...) or defending Pewdiepie screaming the N-word, there are dozens of threads that are perfectly fine. It may seem bad on the surface because of a handful extremely active trolls who like to build up certain discussions and get under people's skin, but it's leaps and bounds better than where it was in 2015. Or least it seems that way to me (maybe the mods would disagree?)

Fappy:

I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know, but what the hell -- if you do take over the Escapist and start purging bad actors, I expect there's going to be pushback. And I don't mean throwing a tantrum in a few threads before getting hit with the ban hammer. I know I just finished writing that there's much less crap here since GG has waned, and it's true, but....there's still enough folks that 1) will not take such a change in ownership well, and won't be able to handle the appearance of a former GG haven being taken over by "aGG," and 2) might explore ways to disrupt the "new" Escapist.

You're not wrong. That will absolutely happen. It happened any time anything changed at The Escapist. And it always settles down. I'm glad to hear most folks here are lovely, but if you have known asshats, believe me, you lose nothing by getting rid of them. A healthy community takes a lot of work, and that includes dealing with outbursts.

To be clear, I'm not advocating becoming the thought police. Just because someone doesn't share your worldview, that doesn't mean they should be banned. Then you just end up with an echo chamber, and lord knows there are enough of those already. But if you want a healthy, welcoming community, you have to have people who can disagree and/or discuss opposing points of view respectfully, who aren't just around to sling hate and stir shit up for lulz. Show 'em the door.

You don't need a Wild West forum, either. You really don't.

And people wonder why the vocal left are called regressive and authoritarian..
Even a whiff of power has them contemplating purging people for wrongthink and differing opinions.

Any silent leftists want to speak out against it?
Do you simply agree? Don't care? Fear of being ostracized yourself?

Well then..

*Edit*
And I was ninja'd..sort of.
I will let my post stand though.

It sounds good but again, it always does.
Time will tell.

I don't think actively working to become the next Neogaf is a good idea given we've just seen what happened to the current Neogaf.

The Lunatic:
I don't think actively working to become the next Neogaf is a good idea given we've just seen what happened to the current Neogaf.

Well then it's a good thing none of us are sex offenders.

Vendor-Lazarus:
Even a whiff of power has them contemplating purging people for wrongthink and differing opinions.

Well then..

*Edit*

Time will tell.

And people wonder why the vocal right are called bigoted and authoritarian.
Even a whiff of power has them contemplating purging people for wrongthink and not being white.

Vendor-Lazarus:

Well then..

*Edit*

Time will tell.

Well as a liberal, I'd rather not be surrounded by certain aggressive types. The right likes to cry about "safe spaces" and "snowflakes" but it's kind of human nature to want to feel safe in your surroundings.
If someone gives me a bowl of skittles and tells me three of them are poisoned - I am not going to risk death. I'd rather move to another bowl.
(This site is a bowl)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or