Zero Punctuation: Duke Nukem Forever

Pages PREV 1 . . . 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . . . 25 NEXT

I'm not going to wade through 17 pages of inane comments, but I bet not a single one of them talks about all the hype and press generated by DNF. Probably one of the most successful ad campaigns ever made. DNF wasn't on anyone's mind, really, for 12 years until just recently.

Thanks for adding to all of it, Yahtzee. You're now just another cog in their masterplan.

Did you people whining about reviewing actual games see "Mailbag Showdown", "Console Rundown", "Yahtzee goes to GDC", "Webcomics", "Awards for 2008", "Year in Review - 2008", or "E3 Trailer Park"? Or did you go whine in those topics too?

On the note of videos, escapist videos won't load for me. They used to, but now they don't. I've done every single thing in the troubleshooting area. It's really annoying me. Has this happened to anyone else?

i so wanted to believe it was real....

i did until about half way..

*sound of dreams shattering*

I still don't know. The most confusing one yet though, by far! That must be worth something?

infinitysend:

Thanks for adding to all of it, Yahtzee. You're now just another cog in their masterplan.

Yeah but as I was trying to say, the point really is - were you entertained by the vid? If so, mission accomplished, and be damned with the supposed extra press. If not.....well, there's always next time.

AnimaWish:
Did you people whining about reviewing actual games see "Mailbag Showdown", "Console Rundown", "Yahtzee goes to GDC", "Webcomics", "Awards for 2008", "Year in Review - 2008", or "E3 Trailer Park"? Or did you go whine in those topics too?

On the note of videos, escapist videos won't load for me. They used to, but now they don't. I've done every single thing in the troubleshooting area. It's really annoying me. Has this happened to anyone else?

I saw a lot of whining in year in review but mostly because it was a clip show. There was also probably a lot of whining by Brawl fanboys in mailbag showdown but other than that.

yellow submarine bettels nice but i bet half of the ppl on here got that joke

the guy that posted "first" was supended for it lol

Well as I sort of mentioned offhandedly somewhere back there in this massive pile of posts noone is bother to read (especially not Yahtzee) I don't think there are many games out there for Yahtzee to review right now. Releases have been pretty slow this year it seems.

I for one have been joking about the Escapist forcing him to review "Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2" but in part because everyone sort of knows what that game is like, what Yahtzee will think of it, etc... so really why bother? What else is there out there for him that he would have had time enough to play?

inFamous just came out, as did Cross Edge. Sacred 2 is a port from a PC game that he didn't review when it was new (and it's not his genere as we all know), Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier is a DS RPG deeply rooted in Anime Fanservice... and well... I mean I can see how we ran into a filler installment.

Besides it *was* quite funny, and while true everyone is making fun of this Yahtzee's DNF joke was funnier than most.

Though it WILL be amazing if DNF comes out and it actually *IS* that awesome, expectations busting game. You know, sort of like what Too Human was supposed to be with all of it's dev time. :)

Despite the fact how obvious this was a parody (a very funny one mind you) it's sad that more then half your audience is still going to think this is a real review and will spend the next week looking for the game only to finally figure it out when one of their friends bold facilely tells them it was a joke. Though, I admit, I had to look this up on Wikipedia just to make sure I understood this was a fake review. You are well known for pulling people legs then pulling their legs clean off. Anyhow, well done...

NOW LET'S MOVE ON WITH OUT LIVES! 12 years, come on man. It's not happening. Unless the game cures cancer and teleports hookers into the room, no one is going to buy it after all this waiting, assuming a release is even slightly possible at this point.

Therumancer:
Well as I sort of mentioned offhandedly somewhere back there in this massive pile of posts noone is bother to read (especially not Yahtzee) I don't think there are many games out there for Yahtzee to review right now. Releases have been pretty slow this year it seems.

I for one have been joking about the Escapist forcing him to review "Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2" but in part because everyone sort of knows what that game is like, what Yahtzee will think of it, etc... so really why bother? What else is there out there for him that he would have had time enough to play?

inFamous just came out, as did Cross Edge. Sacred 2 is a port from a PC game that he didn't review when it was new (and it's not his genere as we all know), Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier is a DS RPG deeply rooted in Anime Fanservice... and well... I mean I can see how we ran into a filler installment.

Besides it *was* quite funny, and while true everyone is making fun of this Yahtzee's DNF joke was funnier than most.

Though it WILL be amazing if DNF comes out and it actually *IS* that awesome, expectations busting game. You know, sort of like what Too Human was supposed to be with all of it's dev time. :)

Yes and I have an odd feeling inFamous will be coming next week...I mean really what else is there 2 review...I honestly think inFamous is going to sell well because all the consoles have F all coming out...but who knows we might see an old game review

This almost had me believing for a minute that I had completely missed some info on this game and it had slipped past me. But then I came to my senses.

ZP you magnificent bastard!

:D

SL

wow this is the most epic revew ever

The premise was fresh and new, and the tongue in cheek worked perfectly.

WTF man these don't seem to work until a week later since the last episode. Is it a ploy for escapist to get more hits? FIX THE PLAYER PLEASE. I HAVE EVERYTHING IN TACT ON MY END.

Not going through 18 pages of posts so excuse me if this has been asked already, but why do people love to beat down on Duke Nukem Forever when Team Fortress 2 took 10 years to develop and everyone lashes it with praise? Seems a bit hypocritical to me when you bash one game for taking so long yet love another when it took just about the same time to develop (even 10 years is a large stretch).

in b4 "well DNF isn't out yet" well obviously, that's besides the point. Given the recent teaser release I would love to play it, i'm just not going to bash it for taking so long because really it's none of my concern.

icnfde:
...why do people love to beat down on Duke Nukem Forever when Team Fortress 2 took 10 years to develop and everyone lashes it with praise?

1. Team Fortress 2, IMHO, reflects an impressive advancement in multiplayer FPS, both style-wise and in game play. Is it ten years' worth of progress? I'd argue it is. DNF, on the other hand, is now vaporware; pretty much the exact opposite of innovation.

2. Valve released some great, industry-rattling games between TF1 and TF2, and codified a digital distribution system to boot. I'd like to see a list of 3D Realms releases since 1997. I suspect it's both short and lackluster.

3. Valve wisely kept its head down regarding TF2 development. The companies involved with DNF's release (not just 3D Realms) were squawking about it regularly, even while pushing the release date back. To me, the media surrounding DNF resembled any relationship before it commits to divorce proceedings: no one admits fault, the other person is always to blame, and it often dramatically boils down to money.

4. I'm one of the first people to call software developers -- not just game devs -- on feature creep, missed bugs, opaque release cycles, and missed release dates. I have, repeatedly, shot my cosmically insignificant barbs at Valve as well. The current delays behind HL2:Ep3 is a perfect example. The difference is, again, one company has delivered despite hardships. The other folded.

5. There's no greater revenge against one's detractors than living well. Vice versa, there's no greater vindication for a naysayer than being proven right.

The_SCSIBug:

icnfde:
...why do people love to beat down on Duke Nukem Forever when Team Fortress 2 took 10 years to develop and everyone lashes it with praise?

1. Team Fortress 2, IMHO, reflects an impressive advancement in multiplayer FPS, both style-wise and in game play. Is it ten years' worth of progress? I'd argue it is. DNF, on the other hand, is now vaporware; pretty much the exact opposite of innovation.

I think TF2 is a HUGE step back from TFC. So I can't agree with your point here about progress.

OK, best ZP ever. That was awesome.

Epic bitchslap for 3D Realms for literally fucking around for up to ten years and who now stand going "WTF?" after they finally got shut down. I'd sell half my body and soul just for 10 minutes of legit gameplay of the almighty Duke, but they kinda... took the time... well... the video summed it all up.

I laughed my ass off at this. I can't wait to show this to my cousin. We actually met Duke Nukem's voice actor at Comic-Con last year, and his neice goes to my cousin's school, too. I think the guy would laugh his butt off, honestly, he was a really cool guy.

Great work, Yahtzee! I actually didn't realize this was fake at first too, until he started switching from how awesome it was to how bad it was and then the bit about lawyers during the credits.

In fact.. I'm gonna watch that again.

I honestly thought this had actually come out until I looked at this thread.

Successful troll was successful. I officially feel stupid. xD

it says it was a joke review at the end of the b=video before the complaining fans part.

lol definetly one of the best zps yet
i also think yahtzee should make his own game :P

a

EricKINGS:
lol definetly one of the best zps yet
i also think yahtzee should make his own game :P

He already did, you can play them on his online journal, www.fullyramblomatic.com

Great video, another week another laugh.

Is anyone else having trouble with this site? None of the videos are playing and I haven't been able to watch this Zero Punctuation because of it.

best vid he has done yet ...the hilarity of it all

icnfde:
Not going through 18 pages of posts so excuse me if this has been asked already, but why do people love to beat down on Duke Nukem Forever when Team Fortress 2 took 10 years to develop and everyone lashes it with praise? Seems a bit hypocritical to me when you bash one game for taking so long yet love another when it took just about the same time to develop (even 10 years is a large stretch).

Except for the fact that Team Fortress 2 never had the level of 'hey it's coming THIS year (for real)' nonsense Duke Nukem Forever got. Also one must remember that Team Fortress Classic was put out to tide the fans just a year after Team Fortress 2 was announced (with no target date I might add). Other than one rumor in 2003 Team Fortress 2 was basically in information limbo for six years while Duke Nukem Forever seemed to have had a rumor every bloody year from 2001 to the present.

I'm surprised at how many people thought the game was out, and even more surprised to see that there were a few that thought he was serious, my head hurts, it would if I wasn't laughing the absurdity of this. I have no idea how one would fall for it, but I'll just blame this on not knowing better.

AnimaWish:

I've had this problem since my last firewall update (Outpost Firewall Pro) and nothing short of "suspend protection" won't allow the player to load. Any and all site-specific settings don't seem to change anything, but suspending the firewall for a couple of seconds while the video loads isn't that big of a problem for me (plus once the player's in browser cache everything else loads too).
You can also try asking for help on escapist irc.
P.S. And have you checked the help page?

sounds like a good game, but I think I'll wait for the squal...

hehe for all those who don't know dukem nukem forever isen't and probably will never be out
the producer (3d realms colpased)

wije:
hehe for all those who don't know dukem nukem forever isen't and probably will never be out
the producer (3d realms colpased)

good work sherlock

Pages PREV 1 . . . 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . . . 25 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook