Unskippable: Damnation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

What is steampunk?

Loved the falling of a cliff bit... Reminded me of the falling noise in the old Oddworld games. Not sure if that was what you were going for but it amused me none the less! Great job as usual!

Awesome episode big thumbs up was laughing so hard not a good thing to be doing in the middle of work :)

Playing the Sniper in TF2 just got a lot more fun.

*Boom* "G'day."

Gee, I wander what it's weakness might be. Aside the big inflato-blobs.
LoLz

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
...sadly I bought this game.... It is really really bad...

That's annoying. I'd never heard of it and was all for going out to buy it after seeing this. Crappy cutscenes aside, the idea of a steampunk American Civil War was almost too good to pass up.

Graham didn't know Abraham Lincoln was a ninja? Goddamn, I thought that was common knowledge.
Also, I want Lincolns hat. 'Tis awesome.

Do you want us to come or follow you?

T-Bone24:

This was a great one. What were the developers smoking?

The original American flag. Printed on a mix of George Washington's bones and hemp. History lesson here folks!

Symplify:
What is steampunk?

No one's posted this yet? Wow.

Image under spoiler tag.

i love under boob!

that sticky tape holding it there must hurt like hell >.<

ha i loved the MXC Captain "Get It On" reference

I love the "the crew from final fantasy advent children are here to save the day" line

I wish Licoln really was a Ninja. That would be awesome.

Ahh, godawful game is godawful. Luckily, I gave this a rent and was, when hugely dissapointed, only 5 down, not 40.

You need to hold down a button to keep you gun drawn! In a shooter! What the FUCK!?

Great show once again.

Special request: Could you do "Blood Will Tell" next?

Just look at this video... crazy things happen in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxUC5J_7bwU

Symplify:
That was the dumbest game I have ever seen. I mean, really, they tried to go all futuristic, while trying to seem rustic and old at the same time. So dumb.

Zombie General Mecha Grant. Lulz.

It's called "Steampunk". Bioshock was steampunk. Would you call that game or its art style dumb?
They (damnation) did some Steampunk elements excellently well while catastrophically failing at others. The attires are great, as are some of the machines. Jet-powered motorcycles are a no-no.

Sadly, while the setting was good (at times), the voice acting was awful and the gameplay was dull, dull, dull.

"Your comical under-boob has no power here!"
best line ever hehe.

I thought the part about ninjas was great since they just stop paying attention to the game for a bit and have an innane discussion.

Clashero:

Symplify:
That was the dumbest game I have ever seen. I mean, really, they tried to go all futuristic, while trying to seem rustic and old at the same time. So dumb.

It's called "Steampunk". Bioshock was steampunk. Would you call that game or its art style dumb?
They (damnation) did some Steampunk elements excellently well while catastrophically failing at others. The attires are great, as are some of the machines. Jet-powered motorcycles are a no-no.

Sadly, while the setting was good (at times), the voice acting was awful and the gameplay was dull, dull, dull.

I've never played Bioshock, but, yes, I would say the genre is dumb.

"This is your Captain speaking I don't trust any of the three of you" XD

Symplify:

Clashero:

Symplify:

Really? Why, precisely?
(Not trolling or anything. I'm genuinely curious because I personally love Steampunk. What better than steam-powered machines, Victorian dresses (or, as TvTropes would call it "Gorgeous Period Dress", British accents and everything made out of brass, copper and wood?

T-Bone24:
This was a great one. What were the developers smoking?

More to the point... where can I get some of what they were smoking?

Thanks for another great episode guys.

In the spoiler below are some quotes from this episode.

"This is your captain speaking, I frankly don't trust all three of you"

That bit made me laugh. A lot.

That was brilliant. Over the past five or so episodes, you guys have gone from better-than-average to excellent.

Wait, are you on the side of the Confederacy in this game? Because, uh... they kinda didn't have a whole lot of sympathetic arguments on their side. I mean, that whole slavery thing kinda negates any "We're seceding to preserve our states' rights!"

Also, I feel bad saying this, but I've recently had a lot of trouble differentiating some of the voice overs in these cut scenes from the humorous comments. Sometimes the voice over sounds like... uh... Graham? Paul? Whoever talks first in this video. This causes a lot of problems, because often I'll laugh at what I think is a brilliant piece of ad-lib, but in fact turns out to be an actual line from the game. I don't know if that means you guys are doing a great job, or one of you could do voice-over work for videogames, or that you've done a great job selecting terrible games. Probably a combo of all three.

Symplify:
I mean, really, they tried to go all futuristic, while trying to seem rustic and old at the same time. So dumb.

Guess you've never heard of steampunk.

I'm pretty sure that half the white house got burnt down by canadians in 1812, but I guess its cool to think that robots did it...I guess?

Clashero:

Symplify:

Bioshock is actually not Steampunk, it's a lesser known category known as Biopunk; so far it may be the only (or at least most well known) Biopunk game yet.

Bioshock didn't include any real steam technology, it was based in the 1960's and used mostly vacuum tubes and 1960's era computer technology. Whereas Cyberpunk may be categorized by the integration of humanity and cybernetics, or the birth of a humanized Artificial Intelligence, Biopunk is the advancing of humanity through biogenetics and the generally dystopian and subversive results that come out of it.

squid5580:
Believe it or not they somehow figured out a way. You can clearly see what the devs were trying to accomplish. They just missed the mark.

Yeah, I looked into it afterwards and saw it got some pretty mediocre reviews from people who played it. Not to mention slipping off into nonsense in near the ending of the video. I was disappointed.

Clashero:

Symplify:

Clashero:

Symplify:

Really? Why, precisely?
(Not trolling or anything. I'm genuinely curious because I personally love Steampunk. What better than steam-powered machines, Victorian dresses (or, as TvTropes would call it "Gorgeous Period Dress", British accents and everything made out of brass, copper and wood?

Well, that's really the whole reason. The concept just seems dumb to me. It didn't happen because it was not viable. I don't really go for the genre of games where things are based on a ridiculous or unrealistic pretense, but I'm not saying that they shouldn't exist. I just wouldn't play them.

I couldn't pin one thing down and say that was why this whole style seems ridiculous to me, it's sort of a collection of things.

HobbesMkii:

Also, I feel bad saying this, but I've recently had a lot of trouble differentiating some of the voice overs in these cut scenes from the humorous comments. Sometimes the voice over sounds like... uh... Graham? Paul? Whoever talks first in this video. This causes a lot of problems, because often I'll laugh at what I think is a brilliant piece of ad-lib, but in fact turns out to be an actual line from the game. I don't know if that means you guys are doing a great job, or one of you could do voice-over work for videogames, or that you've done a great job selecting terrible games. Probably a combo of all three.

I've had that issue too, and I'm inclined to believe it's a collection of all three.

Xandus117:
Wow, I learned alot about the Civil War today.

I know me too. I now know jet motorcycles only worked in that time and not today.

"damnation...... a nation of beavers?!"

Also the civil war would be cooler if it was like that. Then just imagine what WWI would look like............... then WW2!!!!!!!

Great episode :D

Since this game got a real thrashing from critics, no surprise this was on the chopping board this week lol!

The concept and steampunk style of the game is cool but WHY did they screw up on everything!?

"I laugh at your puny bullets and comical underboob."
Made me laugh.

Symplify:

Well, that's really the whole reason. The concept just seems dumb to me. It didn't happen because it was not viable. I don't really go for the genre of games where things are based on a ridiculous or unrealistic pretense, but I'm not saying that they shouldn't exist. I just wouldn't play them.

I couldn't pin one thing down and say that was why this whole style seems ridiculous to me, it's sort of a collection of things.

I think if you're not playing games that have ridiculous or unrealistic premises, than you must be not playing a WHOLE lot of games.

Incidentally, Steampunk was started on a fairly plausible premise with, among other things, the book "The Difference Engine" by Cyberpunk progenitor William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, the idea being that in 1822 Charles Babbage thought up a Steam Powered computer called "The Difference Engine", but never successfully built one. The plot diverges there into an alternate reality in what if he DID build it, and what if that brought the information age a century sooner. But since then it's gotten more and more fantasy mixed into it, with some fiction, movies, and games just having other steampunk powered vehicles (even giant robots), or steampunk prosthetic limbs, or even fantasy creatures.

Incidentally, a Difference Engine was completed by Babbage's design for a Museum in the 1990s, and it did work.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here