Zero Punctuation: 2.5D Hoedown

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

'Splosion Man is effing awesome, and actually kept me intrigued enough to play it through twice. Well, technically once on each mode, since the levels are different depending on whether you play it single-player or multi-player. So, hate to correct you Yahtzee, but there are actually 100 levels of kick-ass frustration. The game makes you hate it even more when you have to coordinate your actions with a friend, but it's a good hate. Like a, "I hate you for being so damn challenging, but you're the first game that was actually hard for me to beat since the days of SNES" type of hate.

The only recent game that's worse is Trials HD. Eff that game. There's no way I'll ever finish extreme. Good thing they made that little rider so satisfying to kill, or the game wouldn't have been worth buying.

I'm surprised he didn't wait to do this one until he could include Shadow Complex. Best Super Metroid-like game EVAR.

I didn't wait a week to hear Zero criticize some crappy indie games I've never heard of! I want to hear him tear into Wolfenstein or something, take on the big boys Yahtzee.

'Splosion man isn't as huge a rip off of Portal as Yahtzee may portray it. The key difference between them is pacing. Splosion Man puts constant time pressure on you, and the pacing is incredibly fast. Portal is very flexibly paced, so there's no real similarity with it.

The game also has frequent checkpoints, so it only becomes unforgiving towards the end of the game. But yes, there's no real room for error, and most sequences must be executed perfectly, even though it's incredibly easy to do.

wouldyoukindly99:
I didn't wait a week to hear Zero criticize some crappy indie games I've never heard of! I want to hear him tear into Wolfenstein or something, take on the big boys Yahtzee.

Actually, these aren't indie games. 'Splosion Man is from the Arcade section, which has actual companies making the games, etc. If you want proof,look at Shadow Complex. Made by Gears of War's Cliffy B.
Also, Trine was developed and Published by Frozenbyte. A company, I believe.
Try out the demos, they're both actually really fun.

hazabaza1:

wouldyoukindly99:

Actually, these aren't indie games. 'Splosion Man is from the Arcade section, which has actual companies making the games, etc. If you want proof,look at Shadow Complex. Made by Gears of War's Cliffy B.

I have to admit I don't have X-box live so I know nothing about downloadable/arcade games, I just have this unexplainable hatred toward 2-D games that sometimes gets the best of me, excluding SSBB of course. Also I just like to see over-praised titles (Gears of War, Halo, etc.) get torn asunder by that lovely Austrailian accent of his and it just doesn't have that same sting when he reviews a game that isn't extremley popular.

Diablini:
Man I loved The Lost Vikings.

I loved The Lost Vikings reference, the game that tortured me endlessly as an 8 yr old

Awesome that he mention Batman, I can't wait for him to review it. This was funny too.

Ya retarded de-sexualization!

nice video i havent played neither of them

wouldyoukindly99:

hazabaza1:

wouldyoukindly99:

I have to admit I don't have X-box live so I know nothing about downloadable/arcade games, I just have this unexplainable hatred toward 2-D games that sometimes gets the best of me, excluding SSBB of course. Also I just like to see over-praised titles (Gears of War, Halo, etc.) get torn asunder by that lovely Austrailian accent of his and it just doesn't have that same sting when he reviews a game that isn't extremley popular.

Ah. Basically, the arcade section is games that are smaller, and lower priced, so they can be downloaded. I see that it's fair enough you want something main-stream torn up, after they get so much hype and hypnotise everyone into thinking they're great, but if you don't mind me asking, why the hate for 2-D games? (Or, 2.5D in this case.)

i wasn't really able to watch this episode because i couldn't get on the computer. i'd lost my trousers and was worried the computer moniter might have a camera inside and start laughing at me and sending pictures to my friends.
why didn't i just cover myself up with a blanket or a duvey cover you say?

BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT! ALRIGHT.

er.. sorry... great work yahtzee. fantastic. seriously i thought you might be running out of ideas by now. but you just keep on rocking.

Yahtzee's response to The Way of the Coward is awersome. There have been plenty of times when I would spend a full hour on a single level in a game just to beat it.
I want Splosion Man on Steam! Trine sounds kind of fun but can probably get much the same thing by playing Gauntlet. Though listening to a woman with Brian Blessed's voice would be interesting. His voice is cold iced tea on a summer day to me. (Though I realize it probably isn't his voice)

hazabaza1:

wouldyoukindly99:

hazabaza1:

wouldyoukindly99:

Ah. Basically, the arcade section is games that are smaller, and lower priced, so they can be downloaded. I see that it's fair enough you want something main-stream torn up, after they get so much hype and hypnotise everyone into thinking they're great, but if you don't mind me asking, why the hate for 2-D games? (Or, 2.5D in this case.)

I think it's because, maybe I'm just stereotyping here, that a 2-D game can't be very deep (I know, I know Shadow Complex.) and if it tries to be it's just funny, even if a 2-D game had the best game story ever I'd still have that nagging sensation that I'm playing Super Mario or LBP. And they remind me of fighting games which I LOATHE for good reasons and not just blind hate.

Maybe when I get online I'll start liking 2-D games but only time will tell.

quote="Reeper0278" post="6.133471.3010597"]Awesome that he mention Batman, I can't wait for him to review it. This was funny too.[/quote]

Can't wait to get this game, it will be awesome.

I find that I like his videos better when I know the games a bit. I hadn't heard of either of these two, although Trine sounds sort of interesting.

'Splosion man was awesome mindless fun, and my feelings regarding the level skip feature were exactly the same. Fuck you game! I'm here to play,not be a little bitch!

lol...nice ending!
Surprised he didn't review Shadow Complex for this... it's a 3D side-scroller, wouldn't that be 2.5D?
Always wondering: who is that picture of a man he always uses to represent dumb people?

wouldyoukindly99:

I'm sure he'll rip Wolfenstein and Arkham Asylum a new a-hole in the coming weeks. Patience!

Woot for n+. I fucking love that game. Just not enough to spend any money on the add-ons for it.

spleenboy:
You can have half a dimension >.>

Depends on your understanding of what a dimension is and what a full dimension is.

I imagine if we grabbed a quantum physicist or any of the string theorists in here they could explain to you how it could work.

wouldyoukindly99:

Must live a sheltered life if you haven't heard of 'Splosionman.

Reminds me of when some old guy asked me at my last job what Pokemon was. I realize he was old but...hot damn dude.

anyone remember project paradise? I mean 3 ppl one body... joust saying.

I don't know why, but I got this weird feeling that Yahtzee is interested in Arkham Asylum.

Why would "2.5 D" infuriate geometry experts? They are possible with Hausdorff dimensions. Anyway, I felt this edition was just average. Nothing funny, but entertaining nonetheless.

Me and my zero punctuation t shirt are pretty sure that you can't half a dimension, but you can halve it.

Thanks for the Star Wars reference Yahtzee. :)

dang when i saw what it meant by 2.5D i was hoping for a shadow complex review. oh well chalk one up to the incredibly long list of games yahtzee should review but wont because hes only one man. besides i dont mind watching a review of something i didnt expect as long as the episode is funny

Fucking loved it. I too have wondered, if games give you level editing abilities, how is it not easy? I can't recall the game it was last in, but I can recall it was easy. Yahtzee the Full Metal Alchemist. Nice work.

I don't believe that he actually disliked Splosion Man. It's goddamn platforming perfection (even moreso in the fantastic co-op mode). You're a damned liar Yahtzee! You loved Splosion Man, you know you did!

I seriously want some DLC for that game. I've done everything except for hardcore mode, which even the game admits is stupidly hard.

As for Trine, have they patched in some online multiplayer yet? It's 2009, you can't have a game with only local co-op. You just can't.

Note to self: Find copy of Lost Vikings, use as basis for "will I like Trine?" conundrum.

"You can't have half a dimension you idiots!"
*Sophisticated harrumph* Sounds like someone's never heard of fractal geometry.

....I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet!

There is only ONE way to play Trine and that is THREE-PLAYER COOP. Seriously, get a couple of game-pads and 2 mates and play it 3-player. The game is so much harder and more fun when you've each got a character.

+You need to solve each "puzzle" 3 times to get everyone over it (rather than just ninja-rope once)
+Only 2 of you can effectively fight.
+Water sections - once you get the "can breathe underwater" item and give it to someone then all you need to do is switch to them in singleplayer. You don't have that luxury in 3-player.
+the game is *hilarious*. Laughing at your friends (or also you) jumping "accidentally" into spikes continually is great. Wizards running away and screaming like a little girl because they can't fight is great.

-Requires friends. As soon as I saw Yahtzee was reviewing Trine I knew he wasn't going to mention the BEST way of playing the game. Single-player reviews only yay!
-Requires gamepads (for PC version). Yeah, you want to play it with Gamepads. PSN is fine however!

spleenboy:

LMFAO i lol'd hard at that

KDR_11k:
What, 2.5D hoedown without Shadow Complex?

I think that's more 2.75D as it involves the 3D plain for enemies, objects you thought you could jump on but couldn't or objects in the foreground blocking your view

theultimateend:

spleenboy:

Depends on your understanding of what a dimension is and what a full dimension is.

I imagine if we grabbed a quantum physicist or any of the string theorists in here they could explain to you how it could work.

Are you kidding?

We can't get them to leave their craaaazy string parties

3D animation? I always wondered what kind of degree Yahtzee would have majored in... if any.

Splosion Man was much better then he made it sound. All the rip-off songs that are trying too hard? All are catchy as hell and even funner than Still Alive.

And ran out of ideas my ass, the levels continually vary in design, save the cursed occasional rising water level. God I hate those. Also the difficulty only got maddeningly hard around ten missions away from the Final Boss, who actually gave me migraines, he was that annoying. Thankfully the ending credits more then made up for it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here