Zero Punctuation: Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Is it just me or does anyone else want to see what girl-Yahtzee looks like?

My issue with Activision and Harmonix is that they're both on different extreme sides of how they produce new content. Activision has taken the approach of releasing whole new games dedicated to a particular band or genre with some tweaks and modifications made to the game formula along the way, while Harmonix has just created 1 game (Let's be real, RB 2 should have been called RB 1.5) and has just been releasing songs and track packs for it. The problem is that Activision has saturated the market and forced people to pay $40+ for each game (I say that amount because people act like they forget that games typically come down in price over time) while Harmonix has just been supporting the same game that came out 2 years ago and hasn't done anything to change up the formula or make the game itself more fun or accessible. This is PAINFULLY obvious with Beatles: RB, where the gameplay is essentially the same as regular RB, just with a harmony vocal system that no one will use because hardly anyone owns more than 1 microphone. As someone who owns GH5 and Beatles RB, it's hard to shake the feeling that Beatles RB is nothing more than a glorified and overpriced track pack. At least GH5 introduced some new ideas like making the game easier to jump right into, allowing multiple instances of the same instrument, and expanded upon their music creation system (and 95 new songs was nice as well.)

A happier medium needs to be established with these games. Relying primarily on just DLC or just releasing niche games will only get you so far. Quite frankly I think we all would have been better served with just one company releasing games like this, but obviously it's too late for that. I suppose the glory days of the Rock Star gaming are over, and perhaps in a year or 2 we'll look at our big plastic instruments in ways similar that we do at old photos of ourselves submitting to the fashion trends of the day..

jefequeso:
Oh, I'm still waiting for 'Chamber Music Hero', Harmonix. Might be the first 'Hero' game I actually enjoy!

Will they follow that up with 'Gregorian Chant Hero'?

I completely agree with this one. These rhythm games have gone so far now that you can just phone in what you want and the GH game machine plops out another edition just like that.

More importantly, who the hell owns three guitar hero/rock band drumsets?

He's right about the last thing, probably why I've stopped playing it

I'm still waiting for Guitar Hero: Power Metal Edition. We don't need any more radio-friendly "alternative" rock. What we need is a collection of epic songs that make you want to climb to the top of the highest peak of the tallest mountain, rip off your shirt and scream to the heavens in your best falsetto while playing the most intense chord ever imagined.

Someday, perhaps.

About a year and a half ago, I was introduced to Guitar Hero III on the PS3 at my friend's house. Needless to say, I got addicted because I'm a completely talentless shit when it comes to music and I felt slightly happy that I could at least press buttons in rhythm correctly.

Two days ago, I bought Guitar Hero V, and I was kind of disappointed. I had bought it as a means to kill time, but I realized that most of the songs were irritating and the fucking success/star power meters were so small that I didn't even realize they were there in the first place.

On the plus side, the game does prove to be a good time killer.

Great review, Yahtzee.

Well, when things go slow and no real video games are being released, it's always fun to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-review Simon Says in one of its purest forms.

Oh, and Arkham Asylum is well done.

I agree completely on the point that anyone who has played other Guitar Hero games (3, I'm looking at you) to a good degreee can breeze through the vast majority of songs on GH5 on expert sightreading. That and that some of the MoCaping is wonky (watch Matt Belamy as he says 'yeah'.)

3 David Bowie sightings AND Thom Yorke? Yay

Good review, could of been better though.

God i hate music games, they're so useless and pathetic. Same thing with sports games like FIFA or the Wii games.
UGH!

yourbeliefs:
My issue with Activision and Harmonix is that they're both on different extreme sides of how they produce new content. Activision has taken the approach of releasing whole new games dedicated to a particular band or genre with some tweaks and modifications made to the game formula along the way, while Harmonix has just created 1 game (Let's be real, RB 2 should have been called RB 1.5) and has just been releasing songs and track packs for it. The problem is that Activision has saturated the market and forced people to pay $40+ for each game (I say that amount because people act like they forget that games typically come down in price over time) while Harmonix has just been supporting the same game that came out 2 years ago and hasn't done anything to change up the formula or make the game itself more fun or accessible. This is PAINFULLY obvious with Beatles: RB, where the gameplay is essentially the same as regular RB, just with a harmony vocal system that no one will use because hardly anyone owns more than 1 microphone. As someone who owns GH5 and Beatles RB, it's hard to shake the feeling that Beatles RB is nothing more than a glorified and overpriced track pack. At least GH5 introduced some new ideas like making the game easier to jump right into, allowing multiple instances of the same instrument, and expanded upon their music creation system (and 95 new songs was nice as well.)

A happier medium needs to be established with these games. Relying primarily on just DLC or just releasing niche games will only get you so far. Quite frankly I think we all would have been better served with just one company releasing games like this, but obviously it's too late for that. I suppose the glory days of the Rock Star gaming are over, and perhaps in a year or 2 we'll look at our big plastic instruments in ways similar that we do at old photos of ourselves submitting to the fashion trends of the day..

Beatles pretty much is just a glorified track pack mostly because relasing all these songs DLC would really jack up the price with liscensing, not to mention having to deal with different point pricing on three seprate systems for pack discounts and what not. i actually had a chance to try the harmony because i had my friends bring microphones for while we play, and i got to say, that shit was fucking hard. in RB2, you could sing a song on medium and play guitar at the same time pretty easily, but having to harmonize at the proper pitch was annoying as hell, because everyone wants to sing as fucking Lenon. try to harmonize properly and play guitar at the same time...fucking A. not to mention trying to figure out from your peripheral vision which little arrow you are and which colored line in what becomes a general blur of colors while you try to play guitar at the same time. My friend playing drums was laughing his ass off.

i can see why your mad about there being nothing innovating coming to the genere but...what else is there? Harmony and a rhythem guitar is about it... there's not much else to add that is totally superficial, so why not just release it all as DLC, better then releasing rediculous amounts of games that only have a handful of good songs. I stopped buying Guitar Hero when i realized they had 7 fucking games coming out this year. SEVEN! that's rediculous. They have Band Hero, Guitar Hero 5, Guitar Hero Van Halen, Guitar Hero Metallica, Guitar Hero Smash Hits, Guitar Hero Modern Hits (DS), Guitar Hero on Tour Decades (DS). If you want to include DJ hero as another hero game, that makes eight. i was done after that, said no more. if i ever need a musical game buzz, i would stick with Rock Band. That Guitar Hero 5 party thing is really only for people who are too lazy to navigate a menu, which is just sad.

The reason why there are no Led Zeppelin tracks is because the original members refuse to let Guitar Hero use them. Something about not wanting to be 'part of the over-commercialization of their music or something like that.

I have never really been a big fan of the GH series due to the fact i tripped balls from after playing a Dragonforce song (THE COLOURS MAN!), but i still Loved the review!

"Guitar Hero: Toilet Farts"

this is the best one in weeks. im glad to see Yahtzee moving away from the rhythm games.

that whole rant at the beginning is 100% true. the basics of guitar are so easy. the stuff you hear most popular bands these days playing takes almost 0 skill. i play guitar. i played it before this rhythm game trend caught on and i will play it when it ends. it baffles why people continually waste money on a skill they have to pay to use, a skill that has no universal language (like music). if you have a dream about impressing people then learn some songs, play them in front of your friends and i can assure you they will be more impressed seeing you do something that takes requires slight talent than seeing you make an ass of yourself w/ an overpriced plastic toy.

littlerudi08107:
The reason why there are no Led Zeppelin tracks is because the original members refuse to let Guitar Hero use them. Something about not wanting to be 'part of the over-commercialization of their music or something like that.

Yoko Ono released Lennon's image for the love of god. She never let her kids say "John Lennon" without charging them 2 dollars. Give it up Led Zepplin, you greasy bastards.

PsiMatrix:
Is it just me or does anyone else want to see what girl-Yahtzee looks like?

I'll just take the little stick figure man with tits thank you very much.

"Guitar Hero: Toilet Farts"
Fun as always, Yahtzee.

A very true and honest review, especially considering I play the Guitar Hero to a huge extent.

Nice review. I used to play gh until they release GH3 which I hate it. The beatles rock band is quite good if you are okay with any music or love them. It's true though that they should have more song in the games but most of the songs are quite good. Most of the song in abbey road section would have their own background ("within you without you" is imo the best background). and using my friends' mic, singing together with friends is very fun.

I think you can use xbox headsets in Beatles Rockband, so if you enjoy yelling at other idiots online or one came with your system you'll have at least 2 mics.

IT DOESNT HAVE ELEANOR RIGBY?! jesus shoot me now thats one of their hits.

Well done yet again Yahtzee. I was never a fan of Rock Band or Guitar Hero so I agree with you completly.

DrunkWithPower:

littlerudi08107:

Yoko Ono released Lennon's image for the love of god. She never let her kids say "John Lennon" without charging them 2 dollars. Give it up Led Zepplin, you greasy bastards.

Actually I'm with Led Zeppelin on this one. While it would be cool to play Stairway or Black Dog in a video game, I think it would take away from how great they are. Look at Kurt Cobain in Guitar Hero 5. The man was about being against the corporate involvement of popular music, fast forward 15 years and he's seen in a Nike shoe ad with Joey Ramone and Hendrix, all of them wearing angel wings and halos. To see a man who was so against the consumer culture being portrayed as nothing but an animated puppet in one of the most overrated game franchises since Halo, it's just heart breaking. I applaud Led Zepp for sticking to their guns and not have anyone exploit them in any way.

The six axis controller can jiggle the breasts of the female character in the next ninja gaiden game and an outbreak of a "nerd" flu? Wow, the media is desperate for new material.
Oh, wait! What was the review of GH:5 and Beatles Rockband? Ahh, yes. Cracking good laugh, keep it up ol' boy.

I can't believe you compared Metallica to The Beatles.

I mean, come on, Metallica is FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!

yeliw:
I can't believe you compared Metallica to The Beatles.

I mean, come on, Metallica is FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!

dot dot dot

Good review, but I thought you swore to never buy from Harmonix again...

All in all, the formula of Guitar Hero/Rockband is getting a bit stale. DJ Hero's just going to be the same thing but with a record board. Oh well. Will the industry ever learn?

Good review....and very true...and they'll keep releasing games until we stop buying them....

A few thoughts from an old fuck-

a) 'IndiCtment' is a british/aussie pronunciation of the word, much like how they stick an extra 'i' in 'aluminum' to make it 'aluMINIum' Not quite as common, but my aussie cop friend says it that way.

b) If you want metal (as someone above mentioned), go check out the Brutal Legend setlist.

c) And this is the most compelling mystery of all, to me:

Why, oh WHY don't people realize that all that GH/RB are is an extended quick-time event? The WHOLE FREAKING GAME is "press [button] to not fail (die)." Yes, it is very entertaining when your coordination/reactions are impaired... but when you're sober? Not so much. I've never seen the appeal of these games beyond parties.

Well, except for singing. I love to sing.

SAVEpointGL1TCH:

slipknot4:
I would like to see the new guitar hero games feature songs from the past year instead of giving us older Beatles and Metallica songs.

Well said. Agreement.

Go to the DLC then. For RB you have the latest Green Day, some Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, Weezer, etc. etc.
It takes a few months after the songs are out on the radio, but they do make it to the game eventually, if they are rock and popular enough.
The reason to do old bands like that all on one added release, asides from licensing rights and I guess it's easier to track sales or get you to buy crap songs you wouldn't on DLC is that they have much more selection.. Beatles, VH, Metallica, AC/DC, Aerosmith... Their set-list are extensive to the point of mind numbing. That's why they get their own game release.

Really though, RB2 did it best.. it had a code that allowed you to dl most of the songs on RB1 to the HD so you could play them without swapping CD's. All these other games should give you something like that as an option.. otherwise, that totally f-ing blows.

It's kind of harsh how he whined about Brawl not having all the characters unlocked straight away and thus isn't good for bringing over to a friends house and now he whines at all the songs being unlocked from the beginning so it's good to take over to a friends house?

If you want to know who has 3 microphones, just look at the guy on the singstar ps3 box. And me. Both singstar mics work along with one of the rock band mics.

... I guess what we can take away from this is that Guitar Hero games are for more music oriented people than game oriented people. I loved guitar hero Metallica because they're my favourite band And I saw it like I was singing or playing along with them for fun, not to beat or unlock something.

But yeah, if everything was DLC we'd save more money and not have to put up my chemical retards emo bullshit, but that's not profitable. Is it Activision?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here