Zero Punctuation: Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

PsiMatrix:
Is it just me or does anyone else want to see what girl-Yahtzee looks like?

I thought we saw that in the Duke Nukem Forever?

I'm the guy who will be fucking the flaming dolphine and cat at Yateez's next party

I have respect for the Beatles and their music(I like some of their songs) and guitar hero is old to me because it whored its self out a long time ago.

Xombee:
I wonder why anybody still buys Guitar Hero? Oh wait, I don't. We're all stupid and easy to exploit.

I'm also getting this weird vibe like Yahtzee didn't review anything. I have no idea what I was laughing at for the past five minutes.

Still was worth watching. I started getting the impression it was more a bash on all GH and RB content, which I wholeheartedly endorse eight days a week.

Look: the Beatles did a lot of good music and were hugely influential, but there's no getting around it - I can't anything they did with prominent backup vocals. It's the sound that's most recognizably theirs (except The Monkees') after all these years, and I can't stand it.

thecaptainof:

Incidentally... Stairway To Heaven - never going to happen, at least not unless Robert Plant has some kind of knock to the head and forgets that he thinks the whole thing is stupid.

I thought it was Jimmy Page who thought the whole thing was stupid?

littlerudi08107:
Actually I'm with Led Zeppelin on this one. While it would be cool to play Stairway or Black Dog in a video game, I think it would take away from how great they are. Look at Kurt Cobain in Guitar Hero 5. The man was about being against the corporate involvement of popular music, fast forward 15 years and he's seen in a Nike shoe ad with Joey Ramone and Hendrix, all of them wearing angel wings and halos. To see a man who was so against the consumer culture being portrayed as nothing but an animated puppet in one of the most overrated game franchises since Halo, it's just heart breaking. I applaud Led Zepp for sticking to their guns and not have anyone exploit them in any way.

Led Zeppelin has always been this way. They didn't start licensing their songs for commercials until a few years ago, more than two decades after they broke up.

Even back in the day, they refused to release "Stairway to Heaven" as a single, despite all kinds of begging and pleading from their record label. "Let 'em buy the whole album," they said. (Thankfully Led Zeppelin IV didn't just have one good song--it's one of the best rock albums of all time.)

They almost never licensed their music for movies. As I recall, Jack Black needed a room full of 1,500 extras chanting "ZEPPELIN! ZEPPELIN!" over and over to get permission for "Immigrant Song" in School of Rock.

They were so opposed to sampling of their music, only the God of Sampling, P. Diddy, managed to pull it off.

We won't see a Zep tune in GH or RB until Plant and Page are gone. Jones might be more amenable. We can hope.

While the actual review was pretty much what I expected Yahtzee to say, I really agree with the closing comments he made during the end credits. The song, "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who (known to some of my dumber friends as the CSI: Miami theme) features a long little bridge bit featuring NO INSTRUMENTS AT ALL!!! all you do is sit there and watch your stupid little avatars jump about on stage like idiots. oh, and just to add injury to insult (aware that's not the actual phrase), the first time I had ever played that song I had just deployed my star power when the keyboard bit started, so I got to sit there watching while all of my star power drained away without helping my score in the very slightest. I very nearly smashed my T.V. to bits with my plastic Fender.

AceDiamond:

thecaptainof:

Incidentally... Stairway To Heaven - never going to happen, at least not unless Robert Plant has some kind of knock to the head and forgets that he thinks the whole thing is stupid.

I thought it was Jimmy Page who thought the whole thing was stupid?

I knew it was one of the two but didn't feel like checking... figured I had a 50/50 shot either way. :P

You're right though, having just checked, it was Jimmy Page.

Did he actually criticize guitar hero 5 for having stuff unlocked immediately? Didn't he criticize SSBB for not doing that? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

When you reviewed Super Smash Bros. you complained about how annoying it was with a party title that had half of the characters locked, and now when all the songs are unlocked from the beginning you complain about that? Make up your mind ^^

Is it just me, or did this review seem to have a darker tone to it than most? Most of his reviews seem to have a playful (if somewhat vicious) quality about them, whereas this one had more of an undertone of despair.

As for a bass guitar being larger than a regular guitar: They're both still smaller than a cello, which was his central point.

On a different tentacle: Halo ODST has become the newest entry on my never-buy list, because interstitial ads are evil, reprehensible, repugnant sh*t that should never be suffered under any circumstances, and everyone employing them deserves to fail. And to add insult to injury, they toss in a pop-up ad, anyway. Double-extra-fail with a large Diet Coke. So, no sale for you. (Penance is always an option, however; operators are standing by.)

Falseprophet:

They were so opposed to sampling of their music, only the God of Sampling, P. Diddy, managed to pull it off.

Didn't the Beastie Boys sample the drum track from When the Levee Breaks on their first album?

Also anyone who hates the synth sections in Won't Get Fooled Again needs to take their Ritalin and calm down. Maybe I'm one of those classic rock snobs, but I don't find sitting still for a minute while it builds up to one of the greatest single moments in rock history annoying at all.

Yet another Guitar Hero and Rock Band, Yay(sarcasm).

Wasn't the song by the Who mentioned in the credits "Won't Get Fooled Again"? I remember that was the only song I new the words to in whatever generation Rock Band it was in.

The only reason to play the story mode in GH5 is to unlock Kurt Cobain, then make him sing No Doubt. You can actually smell Courtney's coke-infused tears, as she rages about the extra money she could have demanded if she'd read the contract before signing on it.

Sadly, you can't replace the mic with shotgun and have a true Cobain experience.

BrotherhoodOfSteel:
I know I'm going to be suckered out of tons of money getting songs from DLC's but I'm still going to get Beatles Rockband. The notion of me being John Lennon is too tempting to pass up.

Screaming "I've got blisters on my fingers!" at the end of Helter Skelter was probably my favourite part of my one experience with Beatles: Rock Band so far. Although there are arguments as to whether that was shouted by Ringo or John...

I started losing interest in Guitar Hero when World Tour came out, because the track list was terrible and they were suddenly trying to be more like Rock Band.

Having said that, I love Rock Band, I just don't like how they've taken time to make a Beatles tribute version of the game rather than release a disc with new music, although that's what DLC is for.

Littaly:
When you reviewed Super Smash Bros. you complained about how annoying it was with a party title that had half of the characters locked, and now when all the songs are unlocked from the beginning you complain about that? Make up your mind ^^

I'm guessing he was just looking for reasons to bash the games, no matter how silly.

Anyway, average review. It seems like he doesn't know much about either game and tries to find things he doesn't like before his time is up.
GH5 is a spectacular game in every part but the setlist, which is a little too diverse.
TB:RB is a great band-focused game specializing in story and visuals, but when it comes to gameplay, it doesn't compare to GH:M or GH:VH. The only thing I really agree with in the review is who would have 3 USB mics on hand? Not many.
It's a shame he couldn't play the games in-depth so that the review would be more fair. Right now, it's not much more than a stupid bash-fest.

Edit: No, the only reason to play the career mode on GH5 is to play the challenges.

Yahtzee would you please stop putting that weird rock intro/ending, i prefered you selection of tracks 'cough' 'beatles' 'cough'

Skylarm:
...Side Note: Has anyone played Guitar Hero: Aerosmith? They're one of my favorite bands, and I'm not particularly interested in seeing how Activision could screw it up. Just wanted to know if it was worth shelling out for.

Pick it up used. I consider myself to be a mid-to-low level Aerosmith fan, and I enjoyed the game. I think the format tried to stick to the old GH model, and I wish they would have had less non-Aerosmith and a lot more Aerosmith. I'll give Run DMC a pass because Walk This Way has nostalgic value to me.

But yeah, if you're looking for a challenge, GHA isn't it. The end boss is Train Kept A Rollin', and the credits song is Kings and Queens. There's some fun interviews that Aerosmith fans would enjoy watching. There's also some stuff Joe Perry released from the period where they were broken up (though the videos conveniently gloss over that period, along with the rehab thing.) As far as being a GH title goes though, this one is teeth-grindingly short, just one song longer than GH1, and that one song is a stupid guitar battle with Joe Perry (granted, it's a pretty good track, but I still hate the battles.)

Pick it up if you like Aerosmith, or if you like to laugh at all the cartoon representations of Steven Tyler where he's half mouth.

i took one look at the screen and said...'awww (anger) another rock band game' Then i slit my wrists and died.
THE END

Oh, I came back to life when I saw the wheel of babbies. laughter is the cure for everything.
Yatzee, you NEED to make a flash game of the Wheel of Babbies. You can award points for how many nails you can get into a single wailing child before the wheel rotates and presents you with another squishy baby to hammer.

While I love Guitar Hero games, Yahtzee's 100% right: each game's setlist is getting weaker and weaker. By Guitar hero 12 there will be nothing left but country music...

I only own two rhythm games...Rock Band (1) and GHWT, and I intend to keep it that way. But I rented GH: 5 and rather enjoyed the new features, so I think what I'll do is buy the license for GHWT, buy GH: 5, and then trade in GHWT. After all, between the two games, you get a pretty damn good set list. Most notably, three Tool songs and one APC song.

I've never been a huge Beatles fan. Don't get me wrong, the songs I have heard I've liked, it's just not really my genre, so I don't think I could play a game with nothing but Beatles songs.

Your touch has returned, good sir. Astounding review!

well isn't it obvious his hope for humanity is gone because he lives in Australia...

seriously though a government run by the government!? JUST MAKE DREAMS ILLEGAL!

edit: hope I don't start a flame war

Stairway to Heaven will never see a Guitar Hero debut. I hear Led Zeppelin is notorious for not having their music easily licensed for use and Jimmy Page hates the franchise to begin with. Activision has a castle made of money thanks to the franchise, maybe, but that won't be enough to get Page to like the series, let alone let the track appear on it.

Now, on to ponder whether or not Elenor Rigbey needed to be in the game. It's all string section, and it's short. Granted, they let "I Am the Walrus" on, but that track is a Beatles staple, so it got a VIP pass in the game. Eleanor Rigbey is a wonderful song, but its not as known.

Guitar Hero and Rock band are going the way of Madden and other big selling sports games. Meaning releasing pretty much the same game every year with a tiny bit more sprinkles and selling them to the same reatards time and time again.

There is little pleasing Yahtzee. If I remember correctly in his review of Super Smash Bros Brawl, one of his primary arguments against the game was having to unlock all the characters in single player mode in order to use them in multiplayer mode. He also made clear picture references to the Guitar Hero similarities to this system, in which songs have to be unlocked in a comparable fashion before they can be played in quick play. It seems as if to a certain degree he has gone about on himself, complaining if he is given a quick play mode which bypasses this problem! Make up your mind!

I can't tell if the games are good or not.

Aardvark:
The only reason to play the story mode in GH5 is to unlock Kurt Cobain, then make him sing No Doubt. You can actually smell Courtney's coke-infused tears, as she rages about the extra money she could have demanded if she'd read the contract before signing on it.

Sadly, you can't replace the mic with shotgun and have a true Cobain experience.

Wow, durr hurr you're so funny. Idiot.

shit, I don't know how to delete posts.

Is anyone else having trouble watching the video?

i don't get the fascination with Guitar hero.

Good review as always, never really liked guitar hero or rock band because I thought they we're over priced CD players with plastic toys to boot and it looks like thats never gonna change.

Fucking hell yahtzee! Do a review of something different. Thats like your 3rd or 4th review of 'Guitar Hero/Rock Band' crap. Learn to play a proper fucking instrument! I fucking hate guitar hero because to me it is just an expensive air guitar that resembles almost NOTHING to the real thing!

Honestly, if you review DJ Hero you better rip the fucking shit out of it otherwise im gonna put up one hell of a rant.

I would only get a guitar hero/rock band game if it had a keyboard playable instrument...but it would still suck cos it would only have like 5 fucking notes!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here