226: A View From the Trenches

Pages PREV 1 2

So, we have the technology to make realistic warfare in a large scale but detailed enough to transcend genre barriers from RTS to free-roaming adventure to a near-FPS. Complete terrain interactivity, AI, individual unit development to an almost RPG scale...

And Blizzard needs four years to make a technological upgrade over a carbon copy of their 10+ years old 2D arcade-y RTS with artificial streamlined mechanics and a simplified interface. With its definition of terrain interactivity being "tall thingies can climb higher, while flying thingies fly" and adding a rotating camera.

Oh, I have no doubt that Starcraft II will be fun, but I now feel like I'll be getting a colored tetris as a sequel to a b&w tetris while there's a holographic 3D tetris on the faces of a hypercube for sale out there. ._.

And here I was thinking they'd never even heard of Men of War, let alone SHOWW2. Leve it to escapist to pleasantly surprise me.

people talking about close combat?, articles about silent hunter...? damn iam glad i found this site.

HobbesMkii:
"Powerful War Stories in Games Without a Plot" (I think that sums up the gist of the article a lot better than yours)
"Ukrainian RTS Puts War First, Story Second for Better Experience" (That is sorta like yours, only less wrong)

Thing is, the title for an article shouldn't be a summary of it. Its supposed to highlight the point the author wants to convey like a thesis. The point of his article isn't "Ukrainian RTS Puts War First, Story Second for Better Experience", its that the game makes heroes of individual units without granting them super powers like traditional "heroes" in most other RTS games who deal additional damage, have increased health, and can hold off enemy waves forever.

Without a doubt, you're right that those titles who sum up the article better, but they don't convey the authors thesis, or main point.

Moving on,

Read this article a couple days ago, downloaded the demo, played, failed several times, then finally pulled through. After getting used to the iffy UI, terrible voice acting, and learning to fast forward time for tank repairs, I found an game that always made realize when you screwed up by unrelentingly annihilating your soldiers. Once, my tank's tracks were disabled in the northern part of town by a an AT gun as an armored car and squad of German foot soldiers closed in on its rear. I still had a squad of four in the south so I sent them to the rescue, but it was too late, and the tank was completely disabled. The crew jumped out to be massacred while the armored car killed two soldiers in the remaining squad. The rifleman and machine gunner ran for cover in a nearby house as the Germans literally surrounded the small house, pinning the two. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to barge in the front door, they shot from every angle at once, killing the machine gunner. The rifleman could only turn in panicked circles before he was promptly killed.

Damn. I wonder how times a story like that unfolded, and what went through that rifleman's head. Even in defeat, you have to admire the game for its unrelenting brutality and remember that your enemy wants to get out of there alive as well.

Originally, I thought about torrenting the game, but this is the kind of game I would love to support with $35.

Sound like a very immersive game, I will have to check it out. Especially after reading the Agony of Defeat article. :) Great work as usual Mr. Rossignol.

Socken:

n00bie51:

stonethered:
That game sounds amazing.

Yeah, man, leave it to writers for The Escapist to make you want to play something.

Unsuccessful troll etc.

Anyway, the game does sound awesome, too bad I'm not really into RTS that much.

I wasn't trying to troll, I was being serious, you big meanie. The author of this article really made me want to play this game. ):

n00bie51:

Socken:

n00bie51:

stonethered:

Yeah, man, leave it to writers for The Escapist to make you want to play something.

Unsuccessful troll etc.

I wasn't trying to troll, I was being serious, you big meanie. The author of this article really made me want to play this game. ):

Ah, sorry man!
Internet sarcasm is a treacherous thing, I thought you were being sarcastic. You know, as in "Yeah, let the Escapist writers make decisions for you you unopinionated cretin."
...Or something along those lines.

Socken:

n00bie51:

Socken:

n00bie51:

stonethered:

Unsuccessful troll etc.

Ah, sorry man!
Internet sarcasm is a treacherous thing, I thought you were being sarcastic. You know, as in "Yeah, let the Escapist writers make decisions for you you unopinionated cretin."
...Or something along those lines.

<3

Well the premise sounds a hell of a lot like Batallion Wars.
But that was terrible, so pretend I never said that

I'm pleasantly surprised that the concept of a fully destructible environment and individual unit behaviours, inventories etc. is even possible in an RTS game. Judging by the new releases here in N. America, I'd kind of assumed everyone had given up. As an avid strategy fan, it is truly wondrous to know that someone out there is still making original and fun (-sounding, at least) RTS games that aren't forced to rely on graphics capabilities to justify their existence.

HobbesMkii:
I saw Men of War as I was reading about upcoming WWII strategy games one day. It's always interested me (although I doubt my computer can give it the level of attention it deserves). My favorite WWII games have always been the Close Combat series, specifically because of the way they model strategy w/o requiring production or resource management. Some of my favorite parts have been when my squad of assault troopers gets hit by an airstrike and I write them off as dead, except, what's this? Pvt. Gale was just unconscious, and he grabs the LMG and fights off two squads of attackers by himself, using the ammo from his fallen comrades, and takes the victory point. Or a lone light AT gun manages to outduel three panzers.

Ever since the 90s, I've been searching for a game that takes the Close Combat concept and expands upon it, or updates it and I think Men of War might have managed to do that.

I had that game! Wow, I never knew anything about it, but played it when I was little, and couldn't understand anything (why are those troops not moving? What is this "suppression"?)
It had great detail, but I've always ended up frustrated and quit.

Fast forward 2009 and I discovered Company Of Heroes, and I loved the level of detail. If this game can pull something even better than that, I'm gonna love it.

Downloading the demo on steam as of now!

Saw this old article. Do much of the escapist have much interest in it? DMS released their Men of war: assault squad a while ago, Best one of the lot so far if you ask me, if you'd like a game PM me.

1C just released a new Men of war single player game. Quite good, i'd recommend it and then toss on some skirmish mods when your done. Don't get Men of War Vietnam whatever you do, it is quite sub-par, 1C's worst attempt at a game.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here