Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I am mildly offended that the game contest winners were tacked on in the middle of the credits, like some afterthought. I was also upset that Yahtzee seemed to put even less effort into reviewing the contest titles than he usually applys towards the weekly show. I'm not saying that the contest winners should have gotten a full 5 minute episode, but I was expecting something a little more insightful. I wrote more meaningful reviews of those games in their comments threads, and it took me no more than half an hour each. I thinks its a little lazy to devote so little time or effort when the participants devoted considerably more time and effort on their entries.

I'm also mildly offended that my game didn't place, but that is another issue, and probably shouldn't be discussed here.

I liked the Dragon Age Origins review, especially the part about bored Arnold. (I'm a sucker for Conan references)

I was hoping that Yahtzee would skip Dragon Age since I like the game so much it hurts a little when someone says bad things about it and I was pretty sure he wouldn't like the game by default. However, I confess I am quite suprised that he seems to like it enough to sink more than a full days worth of time (and counting) into it. I guess he has some taste after all (as was indicated by his dislike of Dead Space and Oblivion)...

Ah, so I wasn't the only one that thought "Dragon Age" implied Dragon was a new material... Dragon swords... Dragon armors... Dragon farm tools...

RyoScar:
STOP SAYING FIRST! YOU DON'T NEED TO SAY IT! WE CAN SEE YOU ARE!

You'll come across like less of an hypocrite if you actually watch the video before commenting on how great the video was.

Really good one, laughed a lot at "is this the age where everything is made of dragons".

Catkid906:
Okay... So I like get Dragon Age then, but I also like sex with Girls.
But which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!

I want to see this.

Yahtzee likes a7x :p

Congrats to the winner of the game contest, although i think 3rd place deserved the win

J-Alfred:

"OMG PLAY MASS EFFECT NOW ITS TEH 1337 EPIC WIN YAAAY!!!"

So, to avoid getting a facefull of fanboy crap I reluctantly started playing the game and found it lacking. Lacking in gameplay, lacking in excitement, and, surprisingly for a game with so much dialogue, lacking in depth. Now that Bioware's made this game, I knew it would only be a matter of time before they came to my room screeching out

"OMG PLAY DRAGON AGE et cetera et cetera"

Now I can safely say that I will rather take their fanboy doodoo to the face as opposed to playing through the game. And it's not because I think the game is bad, or that I think it's dull, or anything like that.

It's the whole '25 hour bit' that turns me off of it.

Mass Effect DID kind of suck and was severely lacking in a lot of things.
Dragon Age is better as far as RPGs go but still misses a few things to make it anywhere near "awesome" level, it is enjoyable and fun though... for the most part.

25 hours is a HUGE understatement though, you'll probably need around 50-80 hours to actually finish the game and do all them quests... I remember a time when "LONG playtime" and "hard game" (e.g. all those console platform jumpers like Mario and Super Ghouls & Ghosts that could make you pull your hair out at times) wasn't something to be frowned upon but relished...

Thank god not every shitty game nowadays has only a 3-5 hours SP Campaign like them Call of Duty titles you seem to love.

sgtshock:
I thought I was the only one tired to death of the generic fantasy setting. It'd be much more interesting, IMO, if they had an alternate history take on fantasy, like if real magic was discovered in the historical middle ages instead of another generic fantasy setting. Instead of fighting more generic orcs and playing pretend politics, you could fling fireballs at the French and explore a neat alternate timeline.

Good review, though. Still on the fence on whether or not to get DA:O, guess it depends on how much free time I have in the coming weeks, and how quickly I bore of Left 4 Dead 2.

It is a mix of Settings between the Middle Ages and LOTR actually... there's "French" (even speaking with a French Accent) in the game called "Orlais", there's a Church and the one true god called the "Chantry", there's a "Holy Grail" type of search, there's Templars and references to Joan of Arc, Barbarians and all that combined with the Races and most of the Critters from Middle Earth (LOTR) e.g. Undead, Giant Spiders, Orcs (look almost the same as LOTR Orcs are just called "Dark Spawn" etc.)

See my Review in the "User Review" section if you wanna know more xD

Really good one, laughed a lot at "is this the age where everything is made of dragons".

Actually that would make a lot of sense, since Dragon Scales are a valuable ressource and needed for some of the best armors in the game and there's a lot of equipment either made out of "Dragonbone" or "Drake Skin" xD

Brilliant! :D
Hell no if i'm buying the game, but it's always fun to hear yahtzee's oppinions about RPG's.

Dragon age is a great game I mean as far as Fantasy RPG's go. But it's still not a world as believabel as the witcher was where choises do effect your story and where everyone is an asshole :P.
Gawd I really love the witcher I do.

Radial menu? Why did you not play this game on PC? It is a vastly superior version. Why would you base your review on the inferior version? I mean, most of your gripes, as mentioned above were not leveled directly at the game, and would still exist, but you would be playing a version that is a lot more tactical and fun.

Funny review, and like yatzhee said nothing incredibly new, but i like it that way, classic rpg with nice new graphics

no surprise here

Dragon age:origins looks like a all the other fantasty RPGs on the market.

That was one of the better ones lately. And everything that was said was pretty much what I expected from Dragon Age. "You are an elf," and "you are an asshole," was my favorite part... gave me a nice laugh.

DRAGON AGE is a fucking great game,seriously this is the beast RPG thet i played !!!!
and the story is fucking awesome, i don't know why are you complain about the story because its mind blowing !!!
DRAGON AGE is game of the year definitely !!!!

Good review. Yahtzee did exactly what I thought he would with this Genre. Which is tear is to shreds (not as much as I expected actually). That being said, it does appear that he may like the game in the end.

I personally don't expect this game to be any different to those other fantasy games. However I do look forward to the nice polished feel that the game appears to have.

And for all those people who posted "FIRST!!!" or "Moan: I don't care that you posted first". Nobody really cares ;)

It may just be me but when I have the option to turn all the tree hugging elves into an army of werewolves, and the dwarves into soulless killing machines, I start to get a "Nerd Stiffy".

There wasnt a single NPC that had a noticable similar voice and the story was really well told. I understand that yahtzee has to ream these games out, but he could at least mention the fact that it was way more involving then most other RPGs. And why the hell didnt he beat the shity extra combat crap to death; having to lay traps and buff up with poisons EVERY DAMN FIGHT got somewhat repetative.

A tank, a healer, and DPS for party members... where have I seen that before?

Love the series yahtzee, hope you do CODMW2 next.

yaay, i actually pictured tolkien having a woody in a kindergarden :D

played for 25 hours and you still want to find out what happens next. Cant see a more shining endorsement for the game XD

Man I tottaly agree with you on the first people to post... who the hell cares? If you dont have anything meaningful to say then stop wasting space on the forum.

We like it too, buddy.

Bioware games may be a bit cookie cutter in that sense but I figure that's why everyone loves them so much. I found myself promising to leave the game and then accidentally spending like another hour on it without realizing. The main quest was kinda short though...

Narrrrggggggg! He used the console version!

And in other news I'm 12 hours through and finding the lack of a morality slider depressingly liberating in the sense that I'm now finding it increasingly difficult to go 'light side'.

Where can I play the game contest games?

Thraxio:
sCUNThorpe, eh? I must remember that the next time we play them.

Third place in the contest sounds awesome, apart from the weapon imbalances.

That joke doesn't work on us mate. :) Does make it a bastard when putting in your home town when trying to register for something though.

Anyway hurray he mentioned my little town I feel so special.

Uh, good video and all, but wheres your extra punctuation article for Uncharted 2?

lol. Scunthrope is a Great word. Good one. Glad to see hes not waining in his old age lol.

Damn, I want my job class to be the Shadowhumper. An actual RPG Yahtzee liked gameplay-wise? Gotta look it up if its worth it. There's been a lack of good PS3 RPGs lately.

Thank God I'm not the only one banging my head on the wall at the irony of high fantasy...

Even when the writers occasionally break away from the clichés it seems to be only to convince themselves that they aren't just copying a much better author. And they also fail to notice that they are still writing the sub-genre based on copying LoTR, no matter how much they try to change or deconstruct it.
A good fantasy author would write his own fantasy world and concept instead of trying to justify one that isn't their own and has been already explored so much that it can hardly be called even fantasy anymore.

One thing I spotted is that he apparently played the Console version, which unfortunately fails rather hard compared to the PC version. Bioware intentionally dumbed down the gameplay for the consoles, to avoid breaking the feeble little minds of the consoletards that haven't dealt with proper RPGs before.

The gameplay on the only real version (the console ones are pretenders at best), has extremely little in common with previous Bioware titles except possibly Baldur's Gate which wasn't one of the examples he trotted out in the review.

And there's that little nugget where he decided that there's very little difference in the game when you replay it, which is rather erroneous. Your choices through the game has quite remarkable impacts on the gameplay, and will result in very different endings. Hell, it'll change the last ten hours of gameplay quite substantially.

But I must say, as the Yahtzee whore I am, this is a delightful review. Now, where can one pick up the games from the contest I wonder?

Deviate:
One thing I spotted is that he apparently played the Console version, which unfortunately fails rather hard compared to the PC version. Bioware intentionally dumbed down the gameplay for the consoles, to avoid breaking the feeble little minds of the consoletards that haven't dealt with proper RPGs before.

The gameplay on the only real version (the console ones are pretenders at best), has extremely little in common with previous Bioware titles except possibly Baldur's Gate which wasn't one of the examples he trotted out in the review.

And there's that little nugget where he decided that there's very little difference in the game when you replay it, which is rather erroneous. Your choices through the game has quite remarkable impacts on the gameplay, and will result in very different endings. Hell, it'll change the last ten hours of gameplay quite substantially.

But I must say, as the Yahtzee whore I am, this is a delightful review. Now, where can one pick up the games from the contest I wonder?

What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?

Jannycats:
I can't believe that he complained that the game is too long. Wtf, I thought that playing a short game was bad and a reasonably-sized one was too boring. You can't really win with Yahtzee can you?

No. No you can't. It's why it worries me when people use ZP as a reference point for criticising games.

God of War, Gears of War and Killzone: Dull Browns and Grey.
Halo and Haze: Too bright and colourful.

Great job Yahtzee. Much less Tolkien-comparisons than I expected. (Oh, come on. Who didn't have a strange feeling of deja vu after learning the plot synapsis?)

This is what former D&D nerds like me have been waiting for since Baldur's Gate 2.

I haven't laughed this hard at a review in a while. It just goes to show that making fun of nerds is still the cheapest and easiest way to a laugh. Well done.

what was with the picture of jessica alba? I think thats who that was anyway. @ 3:51

LOL

Jannycats:
I can't believe that he complained that the game is too long. Wtf, I thought that playing a short game was bad and a reasonably-sized one was too boring. You can't really win with Yahtzee can you?

He didn't.

Or did he? Can someone tell me where he said the length was a bad thing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here