Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

I just have one problem with this
He says:
"Nimbly I hoped back as he swung he sword, then he took a step forward and cut my nipples out. Oh, Okay, A dodge move that can't dodge shit. I guess that would make a hard game."

BUT YOU JUST SAID IT DODGED THE FIRST ATTACK! WHAT? DID YOU EXPECT YOU WOULD DODGE EACH AND EVERY ATTACK EVER BY PRESSING IT ONCE? *caps lock is cruse control for cool.

Also, despite the difficulty DS is designed briliantly. Look up some for the boss fights on youtube, they're amazing.

OmegaXIII:
If it ever comes out in Europe i think i might still give it a look. I am somewhat a gaming sadist purely for the final sense of epic achievement. I wonder what the trophies are like? Congratulations you took 5 steps without dying!

Don't worry. The Trophies are much worse than that ;p
Won't go into detail though, but it's the only game I got the Platinum Trophy in, purely cause the game is that awesome.
If you want a sense of achievement, you can't really go wrong with this game.
Also, just import it from the states, the PS3 isn't zone restricted.

This game is indeed stupid hard. I swore many swears each and every time I hacked and slashed my way through a level, before getting killed one enemy further than I did the time before. After awhile I took it personal and enjoyed the challenge, but after a slightly longer while I said "balls to this" and re-played Bioshock.

What's this? A review of a game which has yet to be released in the Europe! I thought Australia was backwards and got games last.

I looked at importing it, but out of stock in the few places I checked.

KjellKanon:

OmegaXIII:
If it ever comes out in Europe i think i might still give it a look. I am somewhat a gaming sadist purely for the final sense of epic achievement. I wonder what the trophies are like? Congratulations you took 5 steps without dying!

Don't worry. The Trophies are much worse than that ;p
Won't go into detail though, but it's the only game I got the Platinum Trophy in, purely cause the game is that awesome.
If you want a sense of achievement, you can't really go wrong with this game.
Also, just import it from the states, the PS3 isn't zone restricted.

Would Amazon US be my best bet for this or is there a better company for imports?

Ryuk2:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?

Uh...because it's Sony's game.

Not much fun then?

Yep it's hard and I LIKE IT. You have to learn your battle patterns and each enemy's weakness. Each death is a learning experience. Best game this gen imo instead of all that overrated crap that Infinity Ward keep churning out.

Sorry Yahtzee but you can't nitpick on a game that was designed to be difficult and unforgiving for being too difficult and unforgiving. Play further than the first dungeon and then create a new game. You'll wonder what you thought was so hard about those parts.

Oh yeah and dodging varies depending on your class, and is a roll to the side, NOT a step backwards. Man I can't believe people are putting what you say as fact when it's clearly riddled with uninformed crap and you didn't even complete fifty percent of the game. I know it's for comedy and it's your job to nitpick on stupid shit but man, people should stop taking it seriously.

And no save points? The game saves every time you gain experience, and after you get an item. Have you ever played Diablo, or any loot grabbing dungeon crawler? That's what happens there too. If you abort mid-mission, you have to start over, but keep everything you earned so far. And there are save points midlevel. Yet again, complaining because it's difficult.

This proves you played it for a few hours and it beat you and now you'd rather play those hand holding self-esteem raising games you "hate". That was the worst review from you I've ever seen. Your reviews usually have a point in with all that humour but this one was the worst representation of this game ever, full of contradictions and it was clear you didn't stick to your character style or level them.

Next time you call games these days too easy, make sure you don't call punishing and challenging games too hard.

arcstone:
I hear this game is alot like severence: blade of darkness. (which I absolutly love)

Is this true?

Yes. The combat works pretty much exactly like in Severance with lock-on, strafing and of course the endurance bar which is used for attacking, blocking, sprinting and rolling. I would say that if you loved Severance you're going to like DS too.
If I remember correctly Severance was pretty hard too...

edit: Europeans looking to import the game should take a look at axelmusic.com as they ship from within the EU so there are no additional customs / VAT costs.

I'm a little disappointed by Yahtzee this time. Demon's Souls is one of my favourite games this generation, and though it's fine if other people don't share my opinion, I'd hope reviewers would at least give it a chance. Yahtzee could have at least played through 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 or 5-1 before giving up--the game's nonlinear, 5 different worlds that you can start in, following the first--but I guess his patience is lacking? It's a little unprofessional as a reviewer, though, to give up after 1.5 levels . I realize Yahtzee isn't a reviewer in the standard sense, but still, he could have done at least a BIT of reviewing, rather than a brief snippet of the story, and only commenting that "The game is too hard."

Though I guess that wouldn't be quite as funny then, would it? Maybe he actually breezed through the game, but decided it would get more laughs if he listed a bunch of times when he died. Or maybe he'll come back to the game once his frustration has died down, and give it more of a review in an Extra Punctuation. Whatever happens, the video WAS pretty funny.

And a P.S. to those confused about the game's name: The apostrophe is correctly placed. Part of the (very minimal) plot is about demons who gather multiple souls from humans and lesser demons, and every time you kill a demon, you gain all the souls that demon has collected; i.e. gain that Demon's Souls. I agree with Yahtzee, though--it's a bit of a mouth full.

I knew this game was a pile of shit. Just like "I wanna be the guy", what's the point of a game that insta-kills you just so you can learn the timing to try to avoid it the next time, but only until one of the million other insta-kills gets you?

yzzlthtz:

Ryuk2:
It actually sounds fun. I want to be challenged, i like the way they do that ''online'' thing, but why the fuck did they have to release it ONLY on PS3?

Uh...because it's Sony's game.

But why? They could get money by selling games to PC/Xbox owners. Instead people will download those games and run them with emulators. (if it's possible)

OmegaXIII:

Would Amazon US be my best bet for this or is there a better company for imports?

I ordered mine from

Fast and easy!

great game but i will admit a great review. though he must not have gotten far because there is an online aspect whether you want it there or not. you can invade or be invaded by other players who wish to resurrect. you must then battle the other player to decide who gets to keep the full health bar. though the game has some very big issues. demons souls deserves this torching too. i probably only like it because i grew up on games like this.

keep it up Yahtzee. thats the third enjoyable review in a row. i was worried youd lost it. you had me scared there for a while. you really had some dry spell. but these new ones are much much better. not all lol but still much better than you were doing.

Casual.

ROFL this was amazing, had be laughing the entire time.

Yeah, this is finally the kind of review that I needed for Demon's Souls. I've had it in my Amazon shopping cart for some time.

Until now I've heard: "it's too hard" or "it's hard but fair." This is the first review that has gone into detail about what makes it hard, such that I can decide whether it is fair (or fun) or not.

vivaldiscool:
I just have one problem with this
He says:
"Nimbly I hoped back as he swung he sword, then he took a step forward and cut my nipples out. Oh, Okay, A dodge move that can't dodge shit. I guess that would make a hard game."

BUT YOU JUST SAID IT DODGED THE FIRST ATTACK! WHAT? DID YOU EXPECT YOU WOULD DODGE EACH AND EVERY ATTACK EVER BY PRESSING IT ONCE? *caps lock is cruse control for cool.

Also, despite the difficulty DS is designed brilliantly. Look up some for the boss fights on youtube, they're amazing.

Then look up karkarov PvP tournaments to see some really fun fights.

This game is all about multiplayer PvP and PvE for me.

Another game element (along with leveling up) that Yahtzee didn't seem to have actually unlocked...not that that would be a priority, since he's often expressed his distaste for multi-player.

Also it sounds like he went right from 1-1 to 1-2. 2-1 is a bit easier....

Yeah! Sussex got a mention...not a good mention...but a mention nonetheless...

HA cool. I think Suzane Arndt did this one a while back too. Looked very interesting, what with all the dead body meassages. After the last string of 3 or so reviews I was delighted to find that I actualy laughed my ass off at this one. Not that the last reviews where bad, I just found they weren't funny. And if i wanted to watch something that wasnt funny I'd look in a mirror for 4 minutes.
Anyway, the level of trial and error in this game reminds me of I Want To Be The Guy, but more 3d, and PC-ish, and such.

This game is still not out in the UK so everything I know and say about Demon Souls (its better to call it that) is based off reviews.

Apparently you're supposed to die to learn since the game isn't cheap, just very very hard. Worst comes to worst you could always use a walkthrough that while defeating the point of playing the game in general will decrease the chance of having a stroke after the 1000th death in an hour.

Yeah like few others have said who implied they've actually played the game a bit (No offense Yahtzee but I think if you could of made it to Tower Knight or one of the other Demon bosses your overall approval might of been a lil higher.) It's hard as hell your first time in like anyother game type your not used to before.

Ex: Never played a FPS before? good luck being Top Dog in your 1st round of DeathMatch or never touched a RTS? You'd likely ignore the shiny crystals on the ground and focus on making buildings or troops till you couldn't anymore for an unknown reason.

The best way to think of it is I'd wager is like a fighting game anyone can play but you have to LEARN in order to master it. It seems from what I've seen else where though you'll either dislike the whole thing or tough it out long enough to make the game pay at least for leting the game kill you so often.

The bit about the dodge button: I find this a problem of most button mashers that the opportunity cost of using any sort of defensive button, since you can't be attacking while you have defense up, makes the button mostly useless.

I imagine a lot of defenders of Demon's Souls will come out of the woodwork who find nothing wrong with a game that completely screws you over as they interpret this as it being "hard." You know, the same folks who were defending I Want To Be The guy a week or two ago.

Biek:
Whats the matter Yahtzee? Too hard for you?

Yurt the silent chieftain laughs at your pain.

I always felt that name sounded like Swedish yoghurt.

During my first play through this game I ONLY used dodging as my defense. I used whatever methods I could in order to keep a distance between me and the enemy. And those first 2 segments are a fucking playground compared to the rest of the game. I'm not a fan of mercilessly hard games either, but Demon's Souls didn't feel unfair, it just felt like a lot of hard yet rewarding work. Except ofcourse if you play new game+. That was just to insanely difficult.

This is still among the top 5 best games of the year for me. I'm glad I imported that son of a bitch.

first!! lol this is one of the better yahtzee reviews in my opinion.

Fearzone:
Yeah, this is finally the kind of review that I needed for Demon's Souls. I've had it in my Amazon shopping cart for some time.

Until now I've heard: "it's too hard" or "it's hard but fair." This is the first review that has gone into detail about what makes it hard, such that I can decide whether it is fair (or fun) or not.

Emm, here's an FYI: review didn't go into detail at all. For example, there are 3 ways to deal with dragon-on-the-bridge problem. One of them - pis easy. All that review highlighted is that Yantzee sucked and couldn't find any of these ways.
Key: Timed block stops flame. If facing dragon.

Frequen-Z:
Must say, I was looking at this game in curiosity until I watched this. Think I'll pass. Super-hard games aren't my thing.

Same here....I like my sanity where it belongs.

BaldursBananaSoap:
Sorry Yahtzee but you can't nitpick on a game that was designed to be difficult and unforgiving for being too difficult and unforgiving. Play further than the first dungeon and then create a new game. You'll wonder what you thought was so hard about those parts.

Very true.

The key to conquering this game is applied knowledge. Each time you die you gain a little bit of info on the enemies and the surroundings you fight them in.

Goddamn. You just made spit my dinner all over my monitor :)

Yes, this game is THAT hard and then some, but I love it.

Lucane:
Yeah like few others have said who implied they've actually played the game a bit (No offense Yahtzee but I think if you could of made it to Tower Knight or one of the other Demon bosses your overall approval might of been a lil higher.) It's hard as hell your first time in like anyother game type your not used to before.

Ex: Never played a FPS before? good luck being Top Dog in your 1st round of DeathMatch or never touched a RTS? You'd likely ignore the shiny crystals on the ground and focus on making buildings or troops till you couldn't anymore for an unknown reason.

The best way to think of it is I'd wager is like a fighting game anyone can play but you have to LEARN in order to master it. It seems from what I've seen else where though you'll either dislike the whole thing or tough it out long enough to make the game pay at least for leting the game kill you so often.

There are two types of gamers. Ones who are able to deal with Tower Knight and ones who unable to get to him. The latter should stick to their Fable 2 and Oblivion. They're piss easy.

Mr.Tea:
I knew this game was a pile of shit. Just like "I wanna be the guy", what's the point of a game that insta-kills you just so you can learn the timing to try to avoid it the next time, but only until one of the million other insta-kills gets you?

The "insta-kill" with the dragon isn't really an Intsant Kill it's just overwhelmingly powerful if just march forward unknowingly if you level up abit get some Fire Resistance and or the Water Veil Spell you can survive the attack, heck you can even come back and murder the bastard dragon for giving you so much grief but you'd be kidding yourself if you think there's ever a point he shouldn't be feared.

I really like this game but starting out is unreasonably difficult unless you read the instructions from cover to cover. Otherwise you have no idea how to level up and you'll be really weak for the part with the dragon, dogs, and elites that he mentioned.

The game is agonizingly hard until you understand everything you can do. Which juding by this review he didn't know.
In fairness though once you do understand everything it's still really really hard.

Fearzone:
The bit about the dodge button: I find this a problem of most button mashers that the opportunity cost of using any sort of defensive button, since you can't be attacking while you have defense up, makes the button mostly useless.

Do you actually play this game? Wearing light enough armor and dodging (actually rolling, not just backstepping) is one of the secrets to surviving many hard fights including PvP. IF your armor's too heavy, of course, you'll slug along the ground and get killed when you roll, but...

just keep putting that shield up. You're bound come across something that either breaks your guard in one or two hits, or blithely ignores it altogether.

Anyways, I've been a little critical, but I'm really happy Yahtzee gave this one a go.

This wasn't a very good review. You forgot to mention very important aspects of the game:

1. You can view other people's deaths
2. You can play coop with up to two friends
3. You can invade another person's world to hunt and kill them

I'm sure you could have made funny remarks on these things. It's a shame you gave up on this game without first trying all three of these features.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)