Demon's Souls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

rofl. Ah, egocentrism. when you mix two (or more) different kinds, the explosion rivals what I imagine matter/antimatter interaction must be like.

FWIW, I've noticed that my level of tolerance is about 10-15 minutes between save points. Any more than that and a failure results in a substantial impact on the time I can allot to my personal recreation on any given day... and that time is very precious to me.

While I don't necessarily prefer the 'no-punishment-for-dying' game mechanic (BioShock, for example), I find it far more tolerable than the overly harsh punishment variety. Why? Because I'll still try to not die-- but maybe that's just me. Never even once did I do a berzerker charge on a Big Daddy in BioShock over and over next to a VitaChamber because, while I knew I could've, I wouldn't have felt like I really succeeded in beating the game if I had used that sleazy tactic.

That is called self-control, and I much prefer it over games that take the choice away from you and inflict a substantial time penalty-- particularly those that have 'unavoidable insta-kill' mechanics in them... it's very simple: out of my day, I get about 2 hours to have fun. 30 minutes between checkpoints means that if I screw up 3 times, I have spent 2 hours being frustrated, and no time left for relaxation or entertainment.

I'm sorry; that's just not recreation to me, and it's not the sort of gamble I like to engage in.

All that being said, I'll probably take a spin at DS over at my friend's house. He really enjoys it, and he usually isn't quite as good a gamer as I am, so maybe Yahtzee is being a bit hyperbolic... (but that doesn't mean his point completely lacks validity however.)

randomrob:
it's 1 second out of sync with the rest of the universe. perfect hiding place...tiny little pocket of time.

Dr who series 4, episode: the stolen earth, after following the tandoka trail to a dead end at the medusa cascade.

now isnt it custamary to hand out cookies at this time?

I wish I could help, but I doubt that someone from the UK would have any positive impact :(

Ahahahaha

Yahtzee's getting political.

Simriel:

I am not defending him, I am just fed up with reading comments of the 'NOOOO YOU ARE WRONG!!! PLZLOVETHWGAMEAHLOVESOAHFEELBETTAH! variety. Yahtzee can obviously handle people disagreeing with him. Can you? (the answer is no, because both the original comment and this reply where utterly unable to handle being disagreed with)

Where in my original posting did I say he was wrong? Where did I give you the impression? If you read it, you would not have found any of those words? Here is my original post:

Boo Hoo, you had time constraints. Other reviewers, who had the same time constraints that you did, like the game and got pretty far into it. I am not going to complain about the difficulty as well because you are right: the game punishes your being stupid.

Here is the thing. Being a reviewer you have the freedom to choose which games you play. Your bias towards jrpgs is pretty well known and that alone tells me you should have passed on this game and play something else. There could have been other games that you might have reviewed that you would have enjoyed a lot more than this one. You did not have to play the game. But you gave into peer pressure and you hate your self for it.

Please point out where I used the words "You are wrong! this game is brilliant!"

I can't handle criticism? Okay, let's go with that because it really does not matter what you think. I hear a lot worse from my peers in my chosen profession. It looks to me that you cannot handle criticism either because you overreacted when I posted my rebuttal.

Does anyone else who doesn't even live in Australia want to send Atkinson a verbal thrashing after reading this article?

Oh my God, all I want to say, is thank you for saying 'Frankenstein's monster' instead of 'Frankenstein', I don't usually get too seriously nerd-ragey over stuff, but when people call the monster 'Frankenstein', I flip my shit pretty bad, irrationally so.

So thank you, Yahtzee, thank you for not being an uncultured cretin.

Anarex:
My problem with this review is that now, Yahtzee just seems like a jerk who will never be pleased. If you go back to the Bioshock review you will see that he was upset with the instant respawn chambers. He clearly thinks that you need to space out your check points out further than that to make a good challenging game. He has also complained about the lack of difficulty in a number of reviews. But, if you put check points 30 minutes apart the entire game becomes crap?

So, unless a game puts its check points at the exact spot where Yahtzee feels challenged, but not overly frustrated, then the game gets a negative review? That is a bit much even for Yahtzee. You just come off looking like an inconsistent whiner now. It is a real shame too. I view Yahtzee as a positive force in the game industry. Helping to make games for gamers again. After this review I think he took a step backwards. I don't understand how Yahtzee can have such disdain for casual gamers but claim that Demon's Souls was unplayable.

I am not angry at Yahtzee for not liking the game or for not beating the game. I am just well, disappointed. Go back to his review on Explosion Man. There is a part where is gets upset at the game offering to allow him to skip a level and he responds "You will not beat me." That was the gamer I thought Yahtzee was. The gamer that rises to a challenge and gets a great sense of accomplishment from beating that challenge. He is just not the person I thought he was and thats a little disheartening.

But Splosion Man has checkpoints. It might be difficult but a death results in only being kicked back a few minutes as opposed to a few hours.

And as for Bioshock, you can select a difficulty as well as turn off vita chambers. Also his main point about the checkpoints in that game was that A) there were so many of them and B) they made the game non threatening and that's something I agree with to an extent. When I first started the game I did not know that I could walk past the Big Daddy and kill a different one later for the little sister. I thought there were 3 per level and I had to kill all 3. As it turns out I killed one, then another one showed up, followed immediately by another one. I fought all three in the same spot, back to back, without ever leaving for say, ammo.

That meant I died and a whole lot at that. But it wasn't a problem because I respawned 2 feet away. The result of this was that I killed a Big Daddy with a wrench and half a bar of plasmid power per respawn. The Big Daddy which is supposed to be a big scary threat was completely non menacing, just really tedious.

That's the thing about checkpoints is that there has to be just the right balance. If the game is obnoxiously difficult and is meant to be so then there had better be frequent checkpoints. If a game isn't all that challenging and the only punishment for dying is I have to walk back into that next room then nothing is threatening in the slightest.

I like a game that challenges me. I want a game to kick my ass three ways til sunday. Should I overcome the challenge however then I'm done. I beat it, I move on, that's all. If I die on the next challenge then I should do that one over, not both.

The final boss of God of War kicked my ass (specifically the segment where Kratos has to protect his family). I had to do it an obscene amount of times (those damn sword wielding Kratos kill the family in like 2 hits tops) but I finally beat it and felt accomplished. God of War was a challenging game in a lot of ways but it never really got frustrating (there were maybe two or three instances of me going "EVIL DESIGNERS! EVIL!" but I never say, threw a controller) and that's a balance that developers really need to find.

Demon's Souls doesn't do that at all. Demon's Souls creates a huge challenge and if you fuck up 10 seconds from the end of an hour long stretch of gameplay, your ass has to do it over. That's not fun, its irritating.

yeah, it's just too bad he might not be able to play Silent Hill at all, I mean, there is a high chance he won't like it anyway, but seeing as I feel the same way about horror games as Yahtzee does, it would be a real shame if he didn't at least get to play it.

flabslapper:
yeah, it's just too bad he might not be able to play Silent Hill at all, I mean, there is a high chance he won't like it anyway, but seeing as I feel the same way about horror games as Yahtzee does, it would be a real shame if he didn't at least get to play it.

Actually other reviewers and word of mouth both only seem to be saying positives about the game aside from repetition in the monster sections and its brevity.

Then again this is Yahtzee so the norm doesn't necessarily apply to him, but that's why we watch him rant so it works out I guess.

Also I love horror games. Best. Genre. Ever.

Mertruve:

Several journals from around the world (The Harvard Medical School Center for Medical Health, The Journal of Adolescent Health, and The British Medical Journal) have shown no conclusive link between video game usage and violent activity.

Hey, a link was found!

That graph is entertaining and all, but there are far too many independant variables to take into account for that to be serious. For example, we were experiencing huge economic growth from the mid-late 90's until just a few years ago.

OT: I think Yahtzee's article here only makes me think that he doesn't get the game, regardless of what he says. The game is about an immersive environment, a sense of fear of dying, and ultimately, feeling very good about yourself after you take down that boss you've been trying to kill for hours.

you cannot turn of vita chambers on bioshock for the xbox

Anarex:

Oh really? I have the PS3 version. I wouldn't know.

Well you can on PS3 so I guess if you want Bioshock Hard Edition then get it on PS3.

Hmmm, well one problem with the idea of including a "difficulty select" in Demon's Souls is that when you get down to it, the game really isn't all that difficult in of itself. The monsters are substantially weaker than the character for the most part, excepting of course bosses, and in many cases it comes down to the simple RPG staple of matching weapon type to opponent type. Say using blunt weapons on skeletons in time-honored Dungeons And Dragons tradition. World "4" which is the big farming/level up area is frequently screamed about as being "too tough" because of how hard things potentially hit, but that's only when people go in with the standard swords and spears. Walking in with say a club, or the morning star conveinently placed fairly close to the entrance of "World 5" turns that from being knuckle clenchingly hard, into almost a joke.

I can't see how making the character stronger and the enemies weaker would really change much, because typically when you die it's due to a trap, or gimmick. You remove a lot of that stuff or just let people walk through it unhurt, and well... I think it would ruin the game.

I see Demon's Souls as being sort of like an RPG version of the old game "Shinobi" and it's various cousins ("Rolling Thunder", etc...). You die, and you need to replay the level. There ARE checkpoints but they are spaced out a bit, but largely because the game itself is not all that big when you get down to it. The game is sort of an RPG homage to those old school games.

Like many RPGs the game is designed to take dozens of hours to complete (and longer for people like me who are cursed with slow reflexs, given that this is an action RPG). A lot of that is intented to be both replaing, and also trial and error as you experiment with differant weapons from various worlds in differant situations.

I'm not disagreeing that this is not a game for casuals, and it's not the kind of game that you can get the full experience of in a quick weekly review period. You definatly seem to understand the intention of it being "hard". I just think your wrong about being able to add a difficulty selector to it. I really have no idea how that would work without making the game into a mere shadow of itself where you would just walk from one end of the world to the other because I just can't see a middle ground here given the way things are set up.

Awwww, we gotta wait til February for Shattered Memories? I was hoping that, being a Silent Hill fan, you would rage at it more than even Origins. We'll find out, I guess.

Let the Atkinson mail attack commence!

I am writing this in response to the responders of this thread (as opposed to the above which was a response to the article itself, not that I expect Ben to read it). I want to say the following:

Despite the general hate a certain Australian politician has garnered from the gaming community, phranking him probably isn't going to accomplish much. Sure, it's funny to send joke letters to the guy, but that just means the guy is going to ignore comments from the community in general. Given that the Australian system seems to be "broken" here as reports show that it's ONE guy holding up an 18+ rating (a majority, or even overwhelming majority consensus of his colleagues not being sufficient) the only thing we can do here via E-mail campaigns is to try and convince him he's wrong and to back down.

Of course in the end I expect him to ignore any pleas of this sort anyway. As I have said before I suspect that the only way to get rid of him and his supporters would be to start engaging in direct political activism. This means we'd need someone capable of organizing, funding (or gathering funds for) serious rallies and public demonstrations. Should that fail, you then begin to move beyond mere demonstrations. At any rate, the way things stand now the only ones with the resources to do something like this are companies like Valve, EA, etc... and of course those companies are acting in a very greedy and short sighted fashion. EA for example is laying off people and such apparently, because some of their titles have underperformed. On the other hand, while not making as much money as they might want they are facing a bigger threat from politicians both in the US and abroad in Australia (which is what we are discussing). Their market basically being killed under them through censorship while their pinching pennies.

It's amusing that Yahtzee gave us his E-mail address, I'm probably going to send him a mail myself (which will doubtlessly be ignored), but I don't recommend using it to phrank him, and right now if you really care about the situation in Australia (and elsewhere) I'd pressure the game companies to start taking some action in return, and see what you can organize.

I mean honestly, one of the reasons why the gaming community can be ignored as a "vocal minority" is because something like /B/ - Anonymous, can have nerds show up in strength wearing Guy Fawkes masks to harass Scientologists (albeit with very little effect apparently) and that is a massive organization that is known to be pretty bloody ruthless and dangerous (Fair Game policy). Yet the gaming community (which includes a lot of those guys) can't even get something going against one bloody civil servant, never mind taking it to that level.

snowman6251:

Anarex:

Oh really? I have the PS3 version. I wouldn't know.

Well you can on PS3 so I guess if you want Bioshock Hard Edition then get it on PS3.

You can. I think you need some DLC for it, though the DLC is thankfully free.

Therumancer:
*SNIP*

Beat me to it. Being page 4 of this thread, I know no one is going to see either of our posts, but I'm going to throw my two cents in here as well regardless.

While it may seem great to spam Atkinson with emails and whatnot about what a knob he is, the international escapists don't have to deal with the consequences of such an action. I applaud Yahtzee's humour in how he posted the email, but by doing so he has pretty much killed what little chance we have of actually getting the rating while Atkinson is in office because he'll read a few of the emails, and lump all gamers into one category.

The government paper he is referring to is only an opinion piece. My brother and I have sent our letters in, but even if half the population of the country send in that we want an R18 rating, it still comes down to Atkinson.

But like I said, this is a review written by Yahtzee and it's on page 4 so no one will see this. Quote me to prove me wrong if you like.

yay ivv sent my opinion to the austalian govement and imm not austalian

keep doin what you do best yatsee

Adzma:

Therumancer:
*SNIP*

Beat me to it. Being page 4 of this thread, I know no one is going to see either of our posts, but I'm going to throw my two cents in here as well regardless.

While it may seem great to spam Atkinson with emails and whatnot about what a knob he is, the international escapists don't have to deal with the consequences of such an action. I applaud Yahtzee's humour in how he posted the email, but by doing so he has pretty much killed what little chance we have of actually getting the rating while Atkinson is in office because he'll read a few of the emails, and lump all gamers into one category.

The government paper he is referring to is only an opinion piece. My brother and I have sent our letters in, but even if half the population of the country send in that we want an R18 rating, it still comes down to Atkinson.

But like I said, this is a review written by Yahtzee and it's on page 4 so no one will see this. Quote me to prove me wrong if you like.

Oh whats that? No one will read it?

Anyway that is the problem with the email address. Emails like "OMG UR A DICK I HATE YOU LET ME HAVE L4D2" are not going to help the Aussies. Most likely it will hurt them as he can print out some emails and say "see these are the kind of people who want that stuff". A well written letter would probably still have no effect but should be the type of thing sent in. Sadly though asking the average internet dweller to write well, especially to someone they don't like, is not going to work out well.

snowman6251:

You have proved me wrong sir, and for that kudos to you. It makes me feel better to know at least one person will take something away from here.

Ok: If you want to write letters that have an effect - or at least are annoying and waste a lot of time or money - read this.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/12/16/dont-waste-your-time-waste-theirs-a-guide-to-writing-to-ministers/

It's for the conroy internet filter, but the prinicples apply.

Key points for the lazy of clicking:

Ask multiple, tangentally related questions. (Like: If there is no R rating, does that mean Steam will be banned by the internet filter as it has RC content?). Ideally make them go to different sections or different departments: As soon as two different people need to provide responses to a ministerial the cost goes through the roof.

Don't send rude or joke emails; it costs about 1 minute as all the do is trash them.

Send questions to other ministers, as if a sitting member or minister forwards the question it MUST be answered.

if you're overseas, I recommend the 'I've just got <job offer> in Australia, and am considering my options - but this R rating thing troubles me because (x). Also, can you tell me about imigration laws/how to pronounce 'G'day'? And what about these drop bears?

Yahtzee would rather play a game that rewards you for time played rather than skill, aka WoW.

That's why I hate MMORPG's, it's not a measure of skill, it's a measure of time wasted.

Losing progression because of your stupid mistakes makes advancement more meaningful.

The game refuses to let you progress until you've shown some actual skill, not time wasted.

Dying is something you need to get over quick, otherwise you're not going to have fun.

Even with all the time "wasted" learning from mistakes, it's still not a "time sink".

You won't see a Soul level 100 player who didn't earn it.

Your Soul level and progression have far more skill value than your Lv.70 AoE Protection Paladin on WoW.

WoW only grants you levels based on time spent, not skill.

Action games grant you progress for trying to same 30 second sequence enough times to luck out.

Demon's Souls makes sure time spent and dumb luck alone don't get you meaningful progress in the game.

It's only hard compared to piss-poor easy games that are more concerned with getting everyone who bought the game through to the end.

The game has no obligation to have an easy mode because you don't feel like trying too hard.

You realized that with Skate 2, why not with a hardcore JRPG like Demon's Souls?

This isn't a game you'll be able to properly review with what little progress you made.
You were trying to rush through it to write a review, you failed, and had to just summary your short experience. That's not a real review, you didn't progress enough to even level up. Are you seriously going to say you reviewed a JRPG without leveling up once? How could you think you could make progress without leveling up in an RPG? You make no sense.

Woo! Email the stupid Aussie!

oldgamer:
Yahtzee would rather play a game that rewards you for time played rather than skill, aka WoW.

That's why I hate MMORPG's, it's not a measure of skill, it's a measure of time wasted.

Losing progression because of your stupid mistakes makes advancement more meaningful.

The game refuses to let you progress until you've shown some actual skill, not time wasted.

Dying is something you need to get over quick, otherwise you're not going to have fun.

Even with all the time "wasted" learning from mistakes, it's still not a "time sink".

Your Soul level and progression have far more skill value than your Lv.70 AoE Protection Paladin on WoW.

Action games grant you progress for trying to same 30 second sequence enough times to luck out.

Demon's Souls makes sure time spent and dumb luck alone don't get you meaningful progress in the game.

It's only hard compared to piss-poor easy games that are more concerned with getting everyone who bought the game through to the end.

The game has no obligation to have an easy mode because you don't feel like trying too hard.

You realized that with Skate 2, why not with a hardcore JRPG like Demon's Souls?

This isn't a game you'll be able to properly review with what little progress you made.
You were trying to rush through it to write a review, you failed, and had to just summary your short experience. That's not a real review, you didn't progress enough to even level up. Are you seriously going to say you reviewed a JRPG without leveling up once? How could you think you could make progress without leveling up in an RPG? You make no sense.

Whats wrong with wanting to see the end of something you paid 60 bucks for. I mean I wouldn't give Demon's Souls to my mom expecting her to see the conclusion but as a gamer I play games til the end or until I get too bored to be bothered.

Anyway your whole argument is a contradiction because what the hell is Demon's Souls if not a measure of time wasted. By making you repeat the same level over and over until you do it flawlessly its not so much testing your skill as its testing your willingness to repeat ad nauseam.

That's not to say there's no skill involved but if you're at least somewhat competent at the game try the level enough times to memorize every nook and cranny and undead warrior and eventually you will make the it through the level.

Its just like any other game. Trail and error until victorious. The only difference is if you fuck up you have to redo more. That's not entertainment in my eyes so much as its frustration.

snowman6251:

Adzma:

Therumancer:
*SNIP*

Anyway that is the problem with the email address. Emails like "OMG UR A DICK I HATE YOU LET ME HAVE L4D2" are not going to help the Aussies. Most likely it will hurt them as he can print out some emails and say "see these are the kind of people who want that stuff". A well written letter would probably still have no effect but should be the type of thing sent in. Sadly though asking the average internet dweller to write well, especially to someone they don't like, is not going to work out well.

Please tell me people aren't sending emails like this. I sent a very serious email (which isn't like me at all) because although I'm not Australian I feel very strongly about this. Anybody who's sending emails like that are just ruining it for themselves. Not that he's likely to reply, or acknowledge us at all.

Freebird95:

snowman6251:

Adzma:

Therumancer:
*SNIP*

Please tell me people aren't sending emails like this. I sent a very serious email (which isn't like me at all) because although I'm not Australian I feel very strongly about this. Anybody who's sending emails like that are just ruining it for themselves. Not that he's likely to reply, or acknowledge us at all.

Obviously I don't know what other people wrote to him but knowing the internet I have a feeling he's getting some, if not many messages along those lines, and like I said, that's only counterproductive.

Great piece!

Still waiting on a Borderlands review btw ;)

Your humble acolytes are ready to do your will oh noble Yahtzee!

the messages are sent!

email him!
croydon@parliament.sa.gov.au
entitle: 'The "Vocal Minority" Speaks Out'

cursedseishi:

VioletZer0:

There are plenty of things to complain about in this game. Like how none of the NPCs you talk to are convincing in the slightest, or the fact that they threw an elite enemy that you are supposed to fight at level 50 or so into the middle of the beginner's level(AKA the infamous red eye knight.) Or maybe how other players can literally invade your game in the middle of a level you are trying to beat and then kill you. And especially how the AI likes to jump off buildings(Literally). But nope, the supposed lack of checkpoints gets to him the most. I just find that sort of silly, seeing as...you know...there ARE checkpoints beyond archstones.

Eh, I killed the red-eyed knight when I was level 30, spear and heavy shield helps there.
Player characters can only invade your world when you have your body and they are a spirit, they are essentially stealing your body for themselves. Oh, and you can summon players too, since the game warns you when someone invades (happened to me, guy ran off and summoned 2 friends to rape me). Plus, the character you are invading will be a higher level than you.

And, I've never seen the AI jumping over edges unless I tricked them to charge and rolled at the last second.

I'll admit this review did annoy me. I'll also admit I've beaten Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, despite the supposed "camera issues" people had with it. I love playing Disgaea, and I do tend to have free time on my hands to invest in these games. I'm not some "low-life in his mother's basement" though as some said. I go to college full time, among other things, and still enjoy those games.

I never had an issue with Demon's Souls. To a person with maybe 5 hours to review the game, sure I could see why that might make it harder to enjoy, but you shouldn't let that affect your score of the game. As others have said, multiple people have had to deal with similar constraints, but praised Demon's Souls. Not once have I died in it and wanted to throw the controller into the TV or wall, instead it made me that much more determined to beat it.

The game does involve a level of paranoia and awareness. The dragon path in 1-2 clearly hints towards the fact that dragon breathes fire over it, with all the burning things and such. The dogs only really get you if you don't have a shield handy. Those enemies near the end can easily be dealt with.

And if you reaaally don't like the dragon, kill it. Might take an hour, but you can kill him/her, and once that dragon is dead, it stays dead until you decide to do a 2nd playthrough.

A lot of people, like myself, fought the Red Eye Knight at level 1(Also, I know the Royal is the only class that starts at level one. But it is still the only class worth playing.) Granted I killed it on my first try because I spammed soul arrow, but a lot of newbies will have a lot more trouble with that particular enemy than most of the bosses they will come across.

P.S. I hope you guys are aware that Atkinson is just going to shrug off emails from people outside of Australia.

qbanknight:
Hey Yahtzee, I'm not Australian, but I've been quite upset over the fact the Australian ratings board refuses to admit the R18+ rating. So I decided to write my own little e-mail with the address you provided:

Dear Mr. Atkinson,

For years, I have been troubled by the fact the Australian ratings board has not instituted a similar MA+ rating as exists in UK. It seems unfair to censor an artist's material in order to grant it classification in Australia for this is an infringement on the right to freedom of the speech. I understand your position that some of these more violent games are able to impact children's behavior, but this is a misconception. Several journals from around the world (The Harvard Medical School Center for Medical Health, The Journal of Adolescent Health, and The British Medical Journal) have shown no conclusive link between video game usage and violent activity. People who still claim that video games incite violence have been widely discredited in the United States, such as Jack Thompson (though mostly due to frivolous lawsuits against video game developers). Ultimately, the decision to purchase a violent video game should rest with the parents of children who play them. I hope you reconsider your position on admitting the R18 rating to the Australian Ratings Board and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Christopher Jaramillo

just wanted to say how much i liked this letter. i think it's to-the-point and intelligently written. and cheers for sticking up for australia.
technically this law doesn't affect me directly, since i don't live in aus at the moment. but i hate that my home country is the only one with this really stupid, unnecessary and above all else unfair law

oldgamer:

Yes, but what's wrong with the fps template of trying the same 30 seconds, I mean ok the luck thing annoys me, but if they did that with skill rather than luck it would be better. A "redo tis half an hour bit until you've memorised it" bit is purely about time spent, not skill. Also what's wrong with difficulty levels, if someone wants to see the end of a game regardless (well not completely) of skill then what's wrong with that. As long as they don't get "rewarded" with a 100 soul level then it's fine.

"The problem with Demon's Souls isn't that it's hard, but that it purposefully wastes player's time."

There is a difference between "purposefully wasting peoples time" and "requiring patience."

"Purposefully wasting peoples time" is what MMOs do. They make you grind out the same monsters over and over and over again for money or levels. They do this so it extends your play time and they can milk you for your subscription fee (granted, Demon's Souls also has an element of this, but grinding and farming is typically tangential to actual game progression).

Demon's Souls merely requires patience. The difference between the player who succeeds at Demon's Souls and the player who ragequits is whether they realize what Demon's Souls is trying to make you do. Survive. The dearth of checkpoints is a design choice. The reason for the checkpoint system is that they want dying to be a BAD THING. They want you to be careful and deliberate in your actions. I say all of this as guy who plays PC games all the time. I'm a quicksave addict - I use it all the time instinctively. Want to know what saving all the time does? It makes games piss easy. You run in rambo-style, because you don't care if you die, you have a save from five seconds before you ran in. There is no penalty. There is no risk. Therefore there is no tension.

If Yahtzee fails at Demon's Souls, I will not be one to claim that Yahtzee is a man who is bad at video games. He merely has no patience. His article clearly provides evidence of this. When he died, instead of slowing down and being even more careful, he sped up. He became increasing more frustrated, and of course, continued to fail.

Ultimately, the problem with Yahtzee is that he failed to realize that the problem is not with Demon's Souls, it is with him. He blamed the game instead of saying "what could I do to get past this." Demon's Souls is nothing if not fair. If you die, it was because you made a mistake. If you succeed it was because you did something right. Ultimately, YOU are the deciding factor as to whether the game is difficult. I died so many times while playing yesterday, because I kept making mistakes. I was using the wrong equipment, or I stepped on the wrong place, or I made a bad decision. When I stopped making mistakes is when I succeeded. It was my victory over myself.

I've played so-called "difficult" games on the PC and console both. But the thing is, they are never "difficult" so much as "cheap." You can play the same section over and over again, with the only way to win is by some miracle or stroke of luck. An example is Call of Duty 4 on Veteran difficulty. It didn't take me long to realize that it never really mattered how good at the game I was. It was just one big clusterfuck of perfectly thrown grenades or 100% accurate gunfire. When I got through a level, I never felt like "Yes, I did it. I succeeded." It was more like "Damn I was lucky."

Veteran CoD4 had many checkpoints, and so the only way to make CoD4 more difficult was to make the enemies unfair. Demon's Souls is also difficult game, but is so in a different way. The challenge is in the strict nature of the game world. If I had to choose between unfair enemies and lots of checkpoints opposed to fair enemies with few, I choose the latter.

I have to agree with what Yahtzee says about the difficulty level. I am along time PC gamer only now picking up an Xbox controller and I recently discovered that shooters are bloody difficult. The mouse and keyboard seems so natural to me, because that is what I have always used. I used to be downright scary using that combo in shooters and I am only slightly better than incompetent using the xbox. But the challenge is enjoyable, and thus I still play.

I don't think that Demon's Souls would be fun, I don't have much time for gaming any more and my frustration level with games has ALWAYS been low. Games are a release for me, a minor escape from reality where my carefully constructed godlike character can really do some damage and has some Serious Latitude for Action. (Unlike real life where things like assault weapons based problem solving is frowned upon).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here