Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Hehehe, Gareth. So glad I read that.

f3niks:

littlerudi08107:
I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.

Wait, you actually use Yahtzee's videos to determine whether or not you are going to buy a game?

Well, for the most part Yahtzee thinks how I do. Also the first Mass Effect sucked. I'm gonna rent the game just to see it for myself. But I won't buy it, like I did the first one, it's currently sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

romxxii:
And lemme tell ya folks, no matter how smart, funny and intelligent a girl may be, if you fall in love before seeing at least 70% of her face, you may be in for a rude awakening.

As someone who romanced Tali for the hell of it, I will say that I half expected Shepard to take her mask off, go "AH JESUS CHRIST" and put it back on.

Its a good game but more than half of it is devoted to acquiring team mates and putting the Ol'Shephard Charm on each one. Also i was wondering is Yahtzee knew that there were sometime tiny little side quests explored on a planet every so often when resource mining, but seriously the mining mini-game is the like being stabbed in the face. Good Review :P

One of your funniest of all time in my opinion. Nice work Mr. Croshaw.

So did he like it or not? The only things he was angry about seemed to be resource mining and difficulty.

As always, great review, I agree that they shouldn't have put in those bloody planet surveyings

Great stuff as always. It's a great game but it fell into a few problem areas sadly (the planet surveyings were annoying, I almost wished they brought back that bounce rocket the Mako).

Quite good. I thought I'd playthrough this game a few times, but the resourcing mining, along with realizing that most combat was pretty samey, prevented that.

I think this is perhaps the most constructive review Yahtzee has ever written. And I hope EVERY person working for Bioware takes thought of what he had to say.

Good writing? Err... Let's talk about LEGION...
That plot hole is big enough to nearly have enough room for Molyneux Crazy Ideas

Suskie:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether.

If you skip the mining you get almost no upgrades and ultimately fail.

Shydrow:
Why would he play on the hardest difficulty to review the game?

You should probably try and work on your comprehension abilities, because you seem to have completely missed the point.

The point was not "He should play on insanity." but "If you're finding a game too easy, you should up the difficulty rather than complaining. Complaining that a game is too easy is only justified when you're playing on the hardest difficulty the game has."

tharwen:

Suskie:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether.

If you skip the mining you get almost no upgrades and ultimately fail.

Getting almost no upgrades would have solved the problem of the game being too difficult, and while I can't be sure, I'd say there are at least enough mineral drops in the on-foot sections to take care of the three ship upgrades needed to get the best ending. And even if not, then a couple of characters die and you don't get the best ending. You can still beat the game and have Shepard survive so long as you're doing the loyalty missions.

It's called "the best ending" for a reason; you have to WORK for it.

littlerudi08107:

f3niks:

littlerudi08107:
I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.

Wait, you actually use Yahtzee's videos to determine whether or not you are going to buy a game?

Well, for the most part Yahtzee thinks how I do. Also the first Mass Effect sucked. I'm gonna rent the game just to see it for myself. But I won't buy it, like I did the first one, it's currently sitting on my shelf collecting dust.

Wait...

Yahtzee did'nt say this game was a piece of shit. He just said that the gameplay aspect was a bit off kilter like the first but everything else was solid.

ok, do bioshock 2 now xD
(muahahaha dance my little puppet, dance!)

Doug:

ramik81:

You know if you sex up Tali, in the next game she's going to contract an virus and die from a poor immune system...right?

lol

Nope. And you know Quarians can't get virus's from humans, right? Only from Turians.

"So the he says: 'Oh, it's okay, our amino acids are all different, so it's not like wew can get diseases or anything if we go natural... So then I had to explain all about cross species fluid contact. Completely killed the mood."

Quoted from a Quarian. I know someone already mentioned this and you then responded to them, but I wanted to give the proper quote in full anyway.

Axolotl:

BlueInkAlchemist:
Anyway, clarification of communication aside, I'm curious as to which current RPG has writing and character development that exceeds that of this game or Dragon Age Origins. Yes, some of BioWare's constructs tend to be a bit on the formulaic side, but if a formula works you don't necessarily need to reinvent it every time you head into your design meeting.

There's not much current gen stuff admittidly but Troika and Black Isle games put Bioware to shame espcially Planescape and Bloodlines.

The key problem I have with Bioware's dialog is that not only does the player have little control over a conversation but everything is hideously verbose. I'm reminded of second rate fantasy novels that dom their best to emulate LotR but just fall short, and given where Bioware started I strongly suspect that those sort of books are the root of Bioware's style.

I've heard you complain about this before. Hideously verbose? The only line in Mass Effect 1 or 2 which is verbose is "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions", and I'm fairly sure they were taking the piss with that line. I can't think of a single other line that could be considered verbose.

Limitedmoon06:

MiracleOfSound:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...

@MiracleOfSound: I agree with Yahtzee here. Playing a game on "Normal" difficulty should result in an experience that is reasonably challenging to a first time player without becoming overwhelming. Both "Mass Effect" games actually suffer from their non-linear game play in this aspect. Situations do not become harder or easier (i.e. add or remove enemies, change environmental factors, etc.) depending on your level, which gives the game difficulty a very "flat" feel.

This would be a good point where it not for the fact that you can change difficulty at any time, so if it bothers you that the basic level is too easy, you can turn it up at any time.

Nice review. I'm still balancing between buying and not buying. The first Mass effect left a bad taste in my mouth, since it didn't matter whether the player was a saint or an asshole. Either way Shepard ended up saving the galaxy and everyone loving him.

btw, has Yahtzee ever reviewed a game that doesn't have horrible driving sections? All the games he reviews seem to have vehicle sections where the car/chopper/space shuttle/submarine acts "like a fat man on a unicycle."

Geo Da Sponge:

Doug:

ramik81:

You know if you sex up Tali, in the next game she's going to contract an virus and die from a poor immune system...right?

lol

Nope. And you know Quarians can't get virus's from humans, right? Only from Turians.

"So the he says: 'Oh, it's okay, our amino acids are all different, so it's not like wew can get diseases or anything if we go natural... So then I had to explain all about cross species fluid contact. Completely killed the mood."

Quoted from a Quarian. I know someone already mentioned this and you then responded to them, but I wanted to give the proper quote in full anyway.

Fair enough - I had heard that one in game (and yes, the whole conversation is pure win!)

"erm, excuse me human - Pri-vate Con-ver-sation"
"Humans are so rude" XD

Geo Da Sponge:
I've heard you complain about this before. Hideously verbose? The only line in Mass Effect 1 or 2 which is verbose is "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions", and I'm fairly sure they were taking the piss with that line. I can't think of a single other line that could be considered verbose.

Your confusing what verbose means. What I'm complaining about is the sheer length of the dialog, now I love words and reading but Bioware just seems to confuse quantity with quality in terms of writting.

Axolotl:

Geo Da Sponge:

Your confusing what verbose means. What I'm complaining about is the sheer length of the dialog, now I love words and reading but Bioware just seems to confuse quantity with quality in terms of writting.

Verbose can have several meanings. It can mean that something uses an excess of words, but it can also mean that the writing uses overly flowery or ornate words (thanks, Wikipedia!). I assumed you meant the latter because in a previous post you said the game used purple prose which definitely does refer to the meaning I was thinking of. Also, to argue with your second point, high quantity does not necessarily mean low quality, and to complain about the quantity of dialogue simply indicates that this is not the kind of game that would interest you anyway. Conversations in the game aren't even that long anyway unless you sit around using the 'Investigate' option over and over again. Of course, conversations probably would take quite a long time if you had to explain everything which is common knowledge to someone while you were talking to them.

suprising you litirally could only find 2 bad things for the game. this means its a good games guy and well yes scanning palnets is boring but you don't have to scan every planet or ugrade every weapons ect. and yes you never really need to control charactes if you have difficulty less than the hardest

Geo Da Sponge:
Also, to argue with your second point, high quantity does not necessarily mean low quality,

No but often it's an indicator, the characters in Bioware games I've seen use lots of words to say very little often repeating redundant information and with large ammounts of padding in their dialog.

and to complain about the quantity of dialogue simply indicates that this is not the kind of game that would interest you anyway.

Why not? I love RPGs I think Planescape Torment was one of the best games of all time. I can handle lots of text, but not when its badly done.

Igen:

Odjin:
What use is a story which is decently written but the game mechanics suck major balls? Exactly... NOTHING!

A visual novel that makes you work for it?

Visual novels suck. Pseudo-choice in a otherwise static story... and in general lame stories.

fück me, that was hilarious!
i should definitely try this game.

Sexy Guy:

Odjin:
What use is a story which is decently written but the game mechanics suck major balls? Exactly... NOTHING!

Try out Silent Hill 2 and tell me that.

Stay to my word: story with no game mechanics is useless. Then I can go watch a movie and can chew pop-corn while doing so.

Yathzee hitting the nail on the head once again.

And i really love that game!

Odjin:

Sexy Guy:

Odjin:

Stay to my word: story with no game mechanics is useless. Then I can go watch a movie and can chew pop-corn while doing so.

The difference between a game with lousy game mechanics and a well written story(like Silent Hill 2) and the difference bewteen a movie with a well written is that you get a higher sense of atmosphere due to the interactivity the game gives you, which you dont get from watching a movie, hence, why the horror game genre still exsists.

Odjin:

Sexy Guy:

Odjin:

Game mechs suck balls? Man, with your expectations you should stop playing video games at all...

...if I wanted to be a space quantity surveyor I'd play EVE Online!

THIS. Yes! \o/

Seems like you quite enjoyed this one. I know I did. :)

LOL another funny review...kinda.
but anyways on a completely random note that has nothing to do with this, please say ur gonna review no more heroes 2: desperate struggle. and before i get any stupid comments in one of your arcticles or whatever, yes i am fanboy get over it.

Just seen it. Was a bit short, wasn't it...?

And yet again, Yahtzee raises the same points of criticism in a game as me. Weird.
ME2 is an awesome game, yet still...

And I thought that playing Infiltrator ("the sniper") was extremely cool in ME2. You all have to try it some day.

LornMind:
Heh. Not bad. Not particularly hilarious, but he makes some good points. But really, no more surface exploration? Aww.

Found the review pretty meh too. Wasn't that funny. I agree with him on most his points though but it's the same little complaints everyone has been having. ME2 is a great game.

I first line made me laugh out loud, good video.

romxxii:
"why did you have to fight the geth when at that point, the virus had reformatted all heretic geth into regular geth, which means Legion could've just told them to stand down?"

The geth were being tortured by Tali's father. They were fighting in self-defense. Or if that doesn't satisfy you, just say that quarian ships are insulated against outside signals and the heretic geth on the ship never got reformatted.

romxxii:
And lemme tell ya folks, no matter how smart, funny and intelligent a girl may be, if you fall in love before seeing at least 70% of her face, you may be in for a rude awakening.

I would never fall in love with a girl without seeing her face in real life. I think people are assuming that under that mask is not a Lovecraftian monstrosity. And you don't see Shepard vomit and his eyes melt when Tali takes off the mask, right? Although that relationship would never work long-term if she has to shoot herself up with antibiotics every time you want to get busy.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here