Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 16 NEXT

I stopped it when I saw "Would You Kindly stop the video please?"

I did it out of some crazy reflex and it worries me.

MicrosoftPaysMe:
hahaha I can't wait to play as a vending machine lol.

Yahtzee will proboly rewiv mass effect 2 next week although I

REALLY

want to hear what he thinks about Heavy Rain

Pretty sure he already reviewed Mass Effect 2.

But yeah, Heavy Rain would be cool.

Also, is anybody getting graphical glitches since they put that Bad Company banner around the video?

I was wondering how he was forcing that food through an inch thick diving mask.

I was going to read all of the comments, see what kind of feedback the Little Sister spine-breaking got, but there's no way I'm spending an hour and a half reading through 350+ comments just to make an informed comment.

So instead, please enjoy this lovely blue semi-colon. ;

And for the ladies, here's a pink one. ;

I thought the second one was good but then i never played the first

Ok I'm confused, mostly because I haven't played the original. What the fuck is Adam? From the Bioshock review I got the impression it was the main protagonist, but in this game it sounds like the 5th element or maybe the Force.

canadamus_prime:
Ok I'm confused, mostly because I haven't played the original. What the fuck is Adam? From the Bioshock review I got the impression it was the main protagonist, but in this game it sounds like the 5th element or maybe the Force.

ADAM is a substance collected from sea slugs which is able to change a user's genetic code, therefore giving them powers or abilities they wouldn't normally have, such as firing lightning from your fingertips. Rapture made a profit off of the stuff until the people abused it and became addicted to it. Which was a major reason why Rapture fell in the first place.

Little Sisters go out to harvest the ADAM from corpses so it could be used again in the market. This unfortunately made them vunerable to the ADAM hungry splicers, and that's where the Big Daddies came in.

No dolphins in this review = fail

the best thing about bioshock 2 is it makes you enjoy bioshock 1 even more

I loved this game. I absolutely loved it. And yet...I still thoroughly enjoyed this review. Did it change my view of the game? No! Did this review still give me happiness and joy? Quite so.

Just goes to show the difference between Yahtzee and the rest of zem critics. A sequel pulls off the same concepts with added polish, and people clap politely. But Yahtzee sees it for what it really is: a diminished extension that exists to produce moolah and appease nostalgics.

That said, I immensely adore both games.

I have an unspeakable hate for everything said in this review. Except the eating through helmet and annoying smug voice thing, that was annoying.

But really I'm not going to go into depth, I simply can't be bothered, but this review is really naive. There weren't any plot holes at all they're only there because of your own lack of perception and interest. The story was fine. I was originally in the "bio2 is milking" crowd but after having played it, it really lives up the original.

I honestly beleived Bioshock 2 was a worthy sucessor to the first game. Sure it was short, but I really liked the story it had to offer. The first game's story was great too, but I just didn't feel like I could connect to Jack. He was basically a puppet throughout the entire game, then again perhaps he's just one of those video game characters whose shoes the player puts himself in.

Meanwhile, Delta actually had a real goal other than just to survive. He was trying to save his Little Sister, and that made me connect to him a lot more.

PayJ567:
Ha, That was pretty funny review. Still mabye a bioshock prequel would have worked a lot better?

That could work, be someone involved during the civil war of Rapture, flesh out how it became a sinking ship that's already at the bottom of the ocean.

One of the best ZP reviews. Totally loved this one, even though I'm still going to try Bioshock 2 since I loved Bioshock so much.

5 dollars says Bioshock 3 is from a splicers Point Of View.

And yeah, good review, hur hur, funny.

"Stop crying you little bitch i'm trying to eat these cakes"

Hahaha epic.

Funny how games about people with weird metabolisms keep popping up these days eh?

Phoenixlight:
Yay, I've been looking forward to a new episode of zero punctuation all day :D
I found Bioshock 2 better than the 1st in terms of hacking, the ending and gameplay in general, however I found the 1st game to have a better plot.

This, except I'm torn on the hacking. I don't really miss Pipe Dream, it's just that it's way too easy now. Then again, Bioshock has always been way too easy, so I guess it's more consistent now.

But yeah, Bioshock 2 wins out in gameplay and the ending not being the gaming equivalent to blue balls, but Bioshock has a much better plot and better characters (I still love Sinclair though)

scorptatious:

canadamus_prime:

ADAM is a substance collected from sea slugs which is able to change a user's genetic code, therefore giving them powers or abilities they wouldn't normally have, such as firing lightning from your fingertips. Rapture made a profit off of the stuff until the people abused it and became addicted to it. Which was a major reason why Rapture fell in the first place.

Little Sisters go out to harvest the ADAM from corpses so it could be used again in the market. This unfortunately made them vunerable to the ADAM hungry splicers, and that's where the Big Daddies came in.

Oh ok. Now I understand. Maybe I should actually give these games a try.

I think this is your best review ever. Very entertaining!

Knifewounds:
It should inexcusable for a sequel to suck worse than the original game. But, can you blame a developer for experimenting with there own franchise to see what does, and doesn't work?

I thought sequel translated as Inexcusably Sucky.

RebellionXXI:

MicrosoftPaysMe:
hahaha I can't wait to play as a vending machine lol.

Yahtzee will proboly rewiv mass effect 2 next week although I

REALLY

want to hear what he thinks about Heavy Rain

Pretty sure he already reviewed Mass Effect 2.

But yeah, Heavy Rain would be cool.

Also, is anybody getting graphical glitches since they put that Bad Company banner around the video?

o
I knew that
*walks away in embaressment

Yes I too have had some glitches

Nah this game was great in my opinion. I despised the first one. This one was improved in practically every way!

I tell you one thing: This week's episode really, really made me NOT want to buy...Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I still think that the rocket spears were a hilarious addition to Bioshock 2. Hell, I had fun with Bioshock 2 with the new Plasmid upgrades and guns and whatnot, but I do agree that the story was severely lacking.

I much rather would have gotten to know about the main Big Daddy's origins rather than just plow through an army of splicers and be done with it. About how they turn people into Big Daddys, etc. Hell, he takes his helmet off in the prologue, but it's all in first person, so we don't even know what he looks like. If they wanted to make the Big Daddy the main character, then they should have at least characterized him outside of his grunts and roars.

As it was, you played as the most powerful individual in Rapture from minute one without even knowing his name, and the old jump scare tricks didn't work in the slightest. Despite the lack of a riveting story, I had some fun with it. Especially near the end when you get your Little Sister back and all sorts of (unexplained) crazy shit happens. Grah, ranting a bit tonight.

Ninjamedic:
So, just buy timesplitters 2 off of eBay? K, Ill do that.

You wanker for reminding me that game exists...now I have to dig out my PS2 to play it yet again...

DEAD ON YAHTZEE!

Grimwind:
Looks like we're back to the moral choice system of baby eating or mother Teresa. Hopefully the gameplay improvements will compensate for the story even a little. Ordered BioShock 2 just recently, haven't tested it yet.

I disagree. The issue with most moral choice systems is not their absolutes, after all, how exactly does one half harvest a little sister? The very concept is absurd. Instead, the issue is how no matter what you do, it all comes out very much the same. This was true in Bioshock one, where the effort to save or kill a little sister was equal, and by the end of the game the Adam reward was roughly the same. Bioshock 2, on the other hand, requires much more effort to be good than be bad, for roughly the same reward. If a player saves a little sister, it is no longer an off hand decision. It must be because that player feels some intangible benefit from saving a little sister. And that's cool.

I have to completely agree with his review nothing he said was false and is planted in the firm ground of fact.

I loved bioshock 1 but I hate bioshock 2 the first game was great and 2k wanting to make money decided to invent a sequel for no reason at all but to make money.

I think the best game to do moral choice was Fallout 1. It was all part of the end movie, and it went through each area you visted and bought ruin to/helped out and told you what happened to them.
That way the moral choices you made in every area were covered not just a single score for the entire game. That way you could be 60% good, 40% evil depending on your mood on the day that you visited each town/area/faction. Cause same days ya just wanna DEATH everything in the room for no good reason. ;)

solidstatemind:

The point is: the info was there if you cared to look for it. Clearly, Yahtzee doesn't have time to actually thoroughly play a game; instead, he has to rip right through them as fast as possible looking for elements he can excoriate, rather than provide a legitimate, in-depth review.

Which is exactly why I consider his 'reviews' to not be informational, but simple entertainment.

I completely agree and at this point I think they have reached the misinformation stage. Not only does Yahtzee ignore parts of games, he actually gives false information to his viewers about game mechanics. Maybe his bosses should give him so time to actually play games; otherwise, he should stick to with purely subjective interpretations of what he can read on the back of the game box.

I got owned by that background and now have it downloading on steam :/

Still it's gotta be better the Modern Warfare 2 on multiplay. Hell tetris multiplay would be better than MW2's multiplay.

hmm, didn't like this review very much. sure i liked the first game better, but i think many improvements have been made in the second, and even yahtzee was a bit harsh.

Also the 'plot holes' he mentioned are filled if you bother listening to the audio diaries. Without listening to the audio diaries in either game you can only grasp a fraction of the story's depth. It seems he only played through the game for the sake of finishing it as quickly as possible, each to their own i suppose, but if he just runs through the game as fast as possible without exploring, utilizing and playing with plasmids or dealing with the sisters (which is practically half the game), then he isn't making any effort to enjoy it. Almost as if he doesn't think a sequel deserves his fullest attention.

The video gives me the feeling he made the dante's inferno review last wednesday, slept till tuesday, then woke up and said 'crap! bioshock review's supposed to be done tomorrow!" so he hurriedly played through the game on tuesday, made the review wednesday then released it late, on thursday.

Good call. It's another shite sequel with a crap story developed only to squeeze more cash out of a franchise that probably should have ended with the first game. I'm so sick of playing sequels man...

Liked the Terry Prachet reference they always make me obscenely for reasons I don't fully comprehend

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here