The Escapist Presents: Starcraft 101: Protoss

Pages PREV 1 2

I would love to see an Escapist staff SC2 tournament and a board where all the participants smack talk each other!

hrm I want to know more about the immortals some, they seem to take a beating and yet pack a punch at the same.

Warstratigier:
hrm I want to know more about the immortals some, they seem to take a beating and yet pack a punch at the same.

The immortals' special ability is that they have a special damage shield that reduces the damage of any attack done to it to just 10. Siege tanks? Just 10 damage. Ultralisks? 10 damage. So on, and so forth. So they're a great counter to heavy-hitting units.

The counter, though, is that their shield will not activate for any attack that does UNDER 10 damage. So the best way to beat immortals is with lots of smaller units. As a Zerg player, for instance, the Immortals counter the hell out of Roaches and Hydralisks but will get shredded by just normal Zerglings.

John Funk:

Warstratigier:

The immortals' special ability is that they have a special damage shield that reduces the damage of any attack done to it to just 10. Siege tanks? Just 10 damage. Ultralisks? 10 damage. So on, and so forth. So they're a great counter to heavy-hitting units.

The counter, though, is that their shield will not activate for any attack that does UNDER 10 damage. So the best way to beat immortals is with lots of smaller units. As a Zerg player, for instance, the Immortals counter the hell out of Roaches and Hydralisks but will get shredded by just normal Zerglings.

key word being lots, an immortal appears to hold it own against a few of those small units and several can hold against....I am guessing a handful. Though with the combined hardened shields, the HP, and the seemingly decent attack, I can imagine it costing a good amount of resources just to make one.

Another thing that hit my mind, wouldn't the immortals take the full brunt of the heavy attacks if the shields became depleted?

I wish I could find these things out myself but as my luck would have it...not in the beta.

When is this coming out? I must know so that I can cower before the might of those guys with the shiny names that are in the beta. Seriously when this gets released I want my first online match to be against one of the staff here.

Hearing "Carrier has arrived" still sends shivers down my spine.

Vanguard1219:

Tenmar:

There are no dark archons in SC2.

Well, damn. One of my favorite long-term tactics with the Protoss was using a Dark Archon to Mind Control an enemy builder unit from another race, thereby letting me create their tech tree with a unit cap independent of my own.

Zerg rushes backed by Protoss tech always confused the hell out of other people. It was great.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go into the corner and cry now...

AC10:

The mothership is a super unit. It cloaks all things aorund it by default, shoots beamy death and has some skills. The most useful, IMO, is a mass teleport skill which can summon all units in a circular range from one location to the mothership.

So, the Mothership is essentially a revamped version of the Protoss Arbiter from SC1? Nice.

No, it's really not nice. It's very slow and very expensive. It's nearly impossible to sneak one into the enemy base for a mass recall. And since there can only be one, it's a big a fat target. The cloak field is nice, but it can't keep up with your army on the move.

Ne1butme:

Vanguard1219:

Tenmar:

There are no dark archons in SC2.

Well, damn. One of my favorite long-term tactics with the Protoss was using a Dark Archon to Mind Control an enemy builder unit from another race, thereby letting me create their tech tree with a unit cap independent of my own.

Zerg rushes backed by Protoss tech always confused the hell out of other people. It was great.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go into the corner and cry now...

AC10:

The mothership is a super unit. It cloaks all things aorund it by default, shoots beamy death and has some skills. The most useful, IMO, is a mass teleport skill which can summon all units in a circular range from one location to the mothership.

So, the Mothership is essentially a revamped version of the Protoss Arbiter from SC1? Nice.

No, it's really not nice. It's very slow and very expensive. It's nearly impossible to sneak one into the enemy base for a mass recall. And since there can only be one, it's a big a fat target. The cloak field is nice, but it can't keep up with your army on the move.

Yeah, I miss my Arbiters. I don't think I've ever actually used a Mothership in a real game. It's too slow and expensive.

You guys didn't talk about the Phoenix, the most useless unit in the game! OR the Sentry, the most USEFUL unit in the game! SC2 is amazing so far and I honestly can't wait, but balance issues are still pretty up in the air, especially Protoss anti-air.

I'm a Silver League Protoss player and if you're looking for practice matches, PM me and I'll toss you my ID, I usually play 5-10 games a day.

I've always sucked at online multiplayer RTS, so I'll probably stay away from that... but I do look forward to the campaign. Protoss look fun as always, and that ability to speed up construction and upgrading sounds like a godsend.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here