Escape to the Movies: The Losers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well, that's another one to cross off the list. Kick-Ass is still on it, though, as is this A-Team movie.

Oh, and a point that Bob addressed; I did like the movie despite storyline flaws, but Cameron had better write his own damn narrative for a second Avatar movie. Massive profits have been plastered across the franchise and he no longer has any reason to be safe or familiar in order to gain financial padding. A good story deserves to be retold, but there is no longer a reason.

I agree with Robin being kept out of the Nolan movies, however if he had to cast a Robin for whatever reason I think that it would be best for Nolan to ignore Dick Grayson and instead use the Jason Todd character, I think he would fit in better.

Nolan has said before that as long as he's directing that Robin won't be in the series. Batman is still young right now so Robin is actually still in grade school or something. Plus Bale claimed he'd strap himself to the bed and refuse to go to work if the studio forced Robin on Nolan.

And the next movie is going to be the last, wrapping up everything nicely

Tsssk tsssk putting such impure toughts into our youths mind how dare yi ol Moviebob I am deeply offended.

OT: Never heard of the movie prolly will never watch it but enjoyed the review nonetheless keep up the good work!

I wouldn't mind Robin being in the next Batman film. Such would be a good add on because there would be both a hero in training to focus on instead of just Batman and the villain.

As for this movie, I don't want to see it because it seems really weak. I may find something better than The Losers this weekend.

Decent review, although I'd like to point out a big difference between the new Star Trek and Avatar. I'd like to. But I won't. Since you've already pointed out that it won't make me clever.

Hehe. Pretty much what I would expect to hear from you Bob.

Then again, I cannot disagree, especilly the end bit

ZZoMBiE13:
Robin? Really? Have you forgotten what happenened the last time Robin was introduced to the Batman mythos in Hollywood????

HAVE YOU??!!??!!

The later 90's were a giant flop for batman in general. I don't think it's fair to just blame that on Robin. Honestly though I'd be fine without him in it, who cares about Robin anyway? What we really want to know is who the next villain will be!

I think they just need a good Robin. Making Robin as cool as Hit Girl may be tough to do.
Haha I like your idea for sneaking in to see it tho

Did I just see them rip off that scene from the Crank films? Really?

When you have to rip off Crank, you know your movie has no soul.

At least Crank was a mindlessly fun series to watch, reminding me that you can make extremely ridiculous, over-the-top action films without being completely fucking stupid, like say, the Transporter films.

wildcard9:
*In using The Matrix as an example about how we "imported" our action from China and Japan to remind us how to be awesome: you do realize that The Matrix is a cyberpunk film, invented here in America by the once-great William Gibson? Yeah I know, it is at its heart an import mash-up, but we invented the concept, dammit!

The Matrix's tech style is American but the action style is John Woo. Max Payne and the Matrix are quite close to each other and the tie in is John Woo. And I do like William Gibson's style. He coined "Megacorporation" and I can't even tell you how many things steal from that.

ZZoMBiE13:
Robin? Really? Have you forgotten what happenened the last time Robin was introduced to the Batman mythos in Hollywood????

HAVE YOU??!!??!!

Hey. when done right, Robin can kick some serious ass. They just need to make sure that when they put him on screen, that he doesn't go from this:

to this:

I have to ask, is it REALLY that bad Bob?

My goal is to see one film a week minimum, typically on Tuesdays because it's half price and the crush of the Friday/Saturday/Sunday crowds have died down to the point where there is actually a chance at getting good seats. Now the kind of awesomeness that is Avatar, Up, Shoot Em Up, or District 9 only comes along once in a while. I'm used to the bulk of the movies I see being rather generic films of dubious worth, and that's fine because it's still a new story to experience. But yes, some times a movie is just terrible and I'm better off saving my money or buying a DVD of something I missed in theatres.

So again, I ask... Is Losers really that bad? I find what you recommend as a "good" movie is often, if not always, something I really enjoyed seeing myself. So when you say "see it", I don't question things. But some of the films you've ripped on (9, Gamer, The Road) were spectacular in my eyes, while others (Green Zone, Revenge of the Fallen) were at least entertaining. Not the kind of film I'd purchase the DVD of (or not for any more than $10), but one I'm glad to have seen at least once.

But...

On other films you trash, you are dead on. New Moon being a dead give-away, but Jennifer's Body, Legion, and Book of Eli were all as bad (or worse) than you made them out to be. So when you say "it sucks", I can't entirely dismiss it as a difference of opinion. So is "The Losers" a decent action flick that lacks any stand-out aspects, but all-around suffices as a good way to blow an hour-and-a-half while being mildly entertained? Or is it the gut-wrenching "please kill me now and end my suffering" bucket of suck that will have me mourning the loss of my precious time and even more precious money?

And yes, I liked Transformers. Yes the original cartoon was superior in almost every way, yes the transformers got a double-shafting by being the side-element in their own film, and being turned into indistinct collections of metal instead of robot-car hybrids where you can actually spot what is robot and what is car. Yes Shia LaBeouf sours any film by his presence, as he is not so much an actor as he is a shit sandwich on two legs. Yes Megan Fox is a no-talent hack who only gets screen time because she makes tents appear in the pants of teen and pre-teen boys who don't realize there are hotter chicks out there. And of course, yes yes yes are you ever right that Michael Bay is more interested in putting on a pyrotechnics display than filming a movie. But I still liked both films, and I will be there the Tuesday following release of Transformers 3. Why? Because it's the fucking Transformers! Having the new films doesn't erase the old ones, or the series. Saying you must like one or the other is like saying I can't love Beast Wars and still love the original Transformers cartoon. I will take any Transformers I can get, because the Transformers fucking ROCK! The first two movies had action, robots, and cool military shit - what more do I really need? It's the perfect kind of film to watch when you're sick, tired, eating, or otherwise not with it enough to give the film your full attention. Some times, you just want mindless eye-candy, and Revenge of the Fallen fits the bill.

I would like to see Robin show up if they actually had him as a young kid/teen, not a big whiny adult riding a motorcycle. They need a robin if only to provide a dark humor POV which the Dick Grayson Robin always did.

So don't watch Losers, too bad I was looking forward to it. Sad to hear it just kinda dull. But now this Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sounds interesting. Thanks Bob.

I thought it was going to be a parody. Thanks for the warning ;D

ZZoMBiE13:

HAVE YOU??!!??!!

Have you forgotten before the last two Batman movie that Batman movies were crap? Give the writers and creative team some credit before you nix the possibility of Robin. It could be that Batman gets a new sidekick which makes Harley Quinn show up and kill the little bastard, thus making Batman go crazy and try and kill Harley.... I mean it does sound cheesy but it could work if the writers put the same effort they put into the last two batman movies.

I feel like moviebob is an anomaly in the world of criticism in that his reviews get less interesting the less he liked the movie. Case in point: his reviews of Kickass, Repomen, and Avatar were (too me) more fun to watch than his reviews of The Losers, Ninja Assassin, and Legion. Usually a critic has so much fun bashing a bad movie (or whatever) that the less they liked the movie, the more fun the review.

Exceptions include: Heavy Metal, and Transformers (for bad movie, fun review).

hey Moviebob, have i missed something, or have you not reviewed hurtlocker yet?
just wondered given the history-making oscar it scored, i would have thought you'd check it out

i'll admit now i haven't seen it either

Please no... NO ROBIN! Ever. Please. Don't do this to us.

Nolan would never put Robin in.

Huh. Well, I wasn't planning on seeing this movie, but you have made me feel better about that.

And... Robin could work in the Batman series if they did something a little more interesting with the character than what happened the first time around. I wouldn't mind it if they took Frank Miller's interpretation of Robin to the big screen.

Not only is Robin female in The Dark Knight, she's actually close to the age of the Kick Ass character. Plus, she's just written very well.

Aiddon:
And the next movie is going to be the last, wrapping up everything nicely

Even falling down a waterfall couldn't stop Sherlock Holmes. If it's popular and successful enough, it's going to have a sequel, for better or for worse.

jokulhaups:
Hopefully if they introduce Robin to the Batman franchise they have enough sense to do it in the style of the All-Star Batman & Robin series. It might border on being absurd but it's the only Robin orign story I've seen that could potentially seem like it wasn't being surgically implanted into Nolan's Batman franchise.

I'm sorry, but are you dense? Are you retarded or something? What in god's name possessed you to think a movie about Crazy Steve could possibly make sense?

Sorry about the double post.

Good review but your tongue in cheek "that would be wrong" at the end was highly inappropriate. Not because of those silly anti-piracy ads, or anything, but pumping up the profits of an inferior movie at the expense of a superior movie only encourages more development of crap. That is what "would be wrong". If you really want to sneak into Kick-Ass, just sneak in. Or buy a ticket to a "How to Train your Dragon" or something. Don't buy a ticket to something you don't want to encourage.

SuperMse:

Hey. when done right, Robin can kick some serious ass.

I never said otherwise. I said remember the last time HOLLYWOOD got ahold of the character?

Yes, he(or she) can be done well as B:TAS and Dark Knight Returns have proven. My point was that telling the suits who may be watching that adding ROBIN merely for the sake of turning more profit is a bad tightrope to walk, if you'll forgive the bad analogy considering the topic we're discussing.

All I'm saying is let it be Nolan and his creative team's decision. Don't tease the studios into doing something just for the sake of this weeks popular trend from KICK-ASS. That's what happened with O'Donnel and awful though they may be, Batman: Forever and Batman & Robin both made money. And that's all the studios care about. Development of characters should come from narrative, not a desire to sell action figures and badly made Halloween costumes for the underage set.

I just caught that bit of text at the end about "the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I might need to check that out considering how many TV spots it had a few weeks ago (which I completely forgot about until watching this).

secretsantaone:
You know that part where he starts shooting with his fingers and a guy with a sniper rifle kills them? I SWEAR I've seen that before, I just can't remember the film.

Anyone give me a hand?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was Crank.

I saw that in an episode of the X-files years ago even. And in Metal Gear Solid 4. It's pretty tropey...

Anyways, it doesn't look very interesting, but Zoe Saldana is pretty freakin' hot. Mmm...

Man, I was really hoping that the movie was good. I read the comic book earlier this year. And the comic book is freaking awesome.

MovieBob as much as I enjoy your reviews, respect and agree with most of what you say, I can't follow you on Robin. Robin is just not what the current run of Batman movies needs, Robin is a joke, and a bad one at that.

However, despite having said that, I would like to see Bat-Mite and Batzarro.

CK76:
I am surprised Bob would want to introduce Robin on the basis "it will make you money" when part of Nolan's Batman films is they have integrity to the character and have not thrown in villains for merchandise, but to fit narratives.

Bob's wants Robin in the movies because Robin is AWESOME. If "it will make more money" is what it takes to get the studio/filmmakers to do it, then so be it ;)

The problem with Robin has always been that he's a GREAT character who adds a vital extra element to the central Batman franchise... but only after you get past how stupid his existance is.

Lemme explain: From where I sit, Robin has remained a near-constant part of Batman longer than any other added-element because he improves the main character. It gives Batman someone to talk to who isn't a love-interest or a background player. It ups the stakes of the action scenes because now it's two people watching eachothers backs. It allows the exploration of just how "arrested" Batman's psyche actually is (i.e. Bruce Wayne has, in some respects, NOT matured significantly beyond whatever age his parents died at) by having him interact with someone who is a younger equivalent to himself. It helps solve the logic issues of Batman being everywhere at once. It lets you have moments of levity without compromising the lead character.

Problem is, to get ALL THAT... you have to somehow solve the problem that it makes no logical sense for any superhero, least of all Batman, to decide that adopting a troubled orphan and teaching him to be your wingman. Once you find a way around that, your golden ;)

I just paused the video... Robin? You're making a case FOR ROBIN? You disgust me.

OH FUCK NO....FUCK Robin!!!!!!...exmay on the Robin say, just say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XPdkwjogigjmeitgjrto;likj o vjh...XP

Sorry, lost control there for a second and forgot what we were talking about...??

=)

(On a serious note, I'm sorry Bob, you might like the guy but Robin stands for everything that's wrong with the series. The whole point of his existence was that parents were afraid Batman was too dark for kids so they decided to throw in a teenage clown to PG it up and instead substituted crime and grit with pedophilic and homo erotic innuendos almost ruining Batman FOREVER.)

wolf_isthebest:
Well 90% of the time i agree with Moviebob... But then there are this times, when he calls the recently deceased Spider-man franchise "good"

hey, the first and second spiderman movies were good. its just that third one that sucked.

i think its possible to do robin well. say what you will about the teen titans cartoon, robin was well done in it. but, i doubt Hollywood ability to portray him in a similarly awesome way...

ZZoMBiE13:

SuperMse:

Hey. when done right, Robin can kick some serious ass.

I never said otherwise. I said remember the last time HOLLYWOOD got ahold of the character?

Yes, he(or she) can be done well as B:TAS and Dark Knight Returns have proven. My point was that telling the suits who may be watching that adding ROBIN merely for the sake of turning more profit is a bad tightrope to walk, if you'll forgive the bad analogy considering the topic we're discussing.

All I'm saying is let it be Nolan and his creative team's decision. Don't tease the studios into doing something just for the sake of this weeks popular trend from KICK-ASS. That's what happened with O'Donnel and awful though they may be, Batman: Forever and Batman & Robin both made money. And that's all the studios care about. Development of characters should come from narrative, not a desire to sell action figures and badly made Halloween costumes for the underage set.

Which is why Nolan absolutely refuses to let him in and why he'll be wrapping up his Batman series with the third film as he knows he can't keep his storyline going on forever. Heck, he wasn't even sure he wanted to do a third film until him and his brother finally worked out the problems of the story. Plus I wonder if Warner is looking at how much of a mess Spider-Man turned into after Raimi had studio mandates shoved down his throat and decided that it's probably best to just let Nolan's team do their thing.

As for the Holmes analogy, there's a reason that the entire Holmes library is a bit of a mixed bag, as is the case with most pulp writers.

meganmeave:

Is it me, or is there a really creepy pedo vibe coming off that image?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here