View from the Road: The WoW Cataclysm Cometh

Pages PREV 1 2 3

John Funk:
I think it's a great idea in concept, though I'm wary of some potential issues. Now, if only 20 people continue to the continuation of my guild's 25-man run, we can run two 10-mans. What will we do in this situation where we're all locked into one raid and have no alternatives?

That said, I think that the current state where people are encouraged to run the same instance twice every week isn't the best one.

I think Blizzard have said somewhere that they're going to be focusing on a greater amount of small raids like ToC or the incoming Ruby Sanctum rather than big raids in Cataclysm. That should counteract the problem as once you have the basics of the fights down, it shouldn't take more than one night per raid. That said, right at the start of the content, that might be a problem.

I'm really looking forward to this expansion. The thing I hate most about WoW is the tedium of levelling through Azeroth. Well, that and Westfall. I'm going to go there straight after release and dance on that disgusting zone's smouldering corpse. Although, the changes to Azashara are making me want to transfer to horde... Someone save me!

goblin rogue or dwarf shaman? I would suggest the best one of them all, tauren paladin.

Wiezzen:
Launch servers for Vanilla WoW and each expansion. Problem solved.

you do realize that this is physically impossible. they don't sit on their old technology about previous versions of WoW, just having it stay there and take up space. It's a waste of resources. A simple example would be think about how much they changed the various classes and talent trees since vanilla. When you write code, you don't write new code on top of old code and have it run concurrently, you scrap the old code and replace it with the improved code. After 5 years of that, the coding for vanilla WoW no longer exists.

Chipperz:
I'm looking forward to the new stuff, but I've given up on Loremaster - 2 quests from it in Blade's Edge and 1 quest from it in Nagrand, no more Alliance quests in Blade's Edge, bugged quest in Nagrand. It's a shame, really. Still, the new stuff's looking really nice, can't wait for it.

Also, my guild has a plan - we're gonna reroll on the new RP PvP server they HAVE to bring in, quickly level to 55 and then make a pack of Worgen Death Knights. I just want to say that again. A PACK of Worgen Death Knights. Bring on Cataclysm.

I had the same problem. You need to be exhalted or honoured (can't remember tis so long ago) with the scryers or the Aldor to get the last few quests done, and these are just fetch and carry quests that take you all over the place.

I got loremaster so i've seen and done everything from the Alliance side (im trying to do the same from the horde but tbh its a struggle) and i have to say im not really going to miss the old Azeroth. Sure there are areas i really enjoyed like Darkshire, Westfall and eastern/western plaguelands... but scenery and some good atmosphere aside, the quests always felt like more of a grind than anything else... In TBC and WTLK you felt your quests made a difference to the story, i felt a hell of a lot more involved, whereas in Azeroth it just felt like a grind, find 20 boar meats and get back to me... A lot of the story Quests felt unfinished like the SI:7 quests, you finish the latest one and then thats it... no real conclusion to the story thread you've been following.

That said i bought the wow/TBC expansion pack when it was out and cheap, and by the time i hit lvl 70, WTLK had just come out, so i never spent time looking for stuff to do in Azeroth (except for loremaster) that i do now in Northrend. So i may just view it as one long grind to get to the good stuff... so im not really going to miss it.

SilverKyo:
you do realize that this is physically impossible. they don't sit on their old technology about previous versions of WoW, just having it stay there and take up space.

It's always sensible to have backups, and with the cheapness of storage these days it's a good bet they have a backup of every single build ever released. Most developers actually do keep all the old versions of their program because you never know when you might need to undo something.

SilverKyo:
After 5 years of that, the coding for vanilla WoW no longer exists.

Actually it does.
Even if they didn't keep backups, which is unlikely in the first place, all the files you need to run a Vanilla server are on the original installation CD-s, that's why there are right now private servers out there, so there are definitely no technical obstacles in such a thing happening.

Just to clarify, I don't think separate WoW-Classic servers are a good idea, I'm just pointing out your argument is invalid.

I'll miss the sweet taste of Vanilla, but I can still remember the bitter aftertaste a lot of it had, so my exitement for cataclysm overshadows it for the most part. Wetlands' overhaul will be very interesting, as will the Hillsbrad area. I died from mountain lions and human guards in that place FAR too often. Be good to see Deathwing smack 'em around.

But in the end, it really all boils down to this single point;

Goblin vs Gnome PvP.

That is the only reason I needed for this expansion to be worth it. Can't wait to make my Goblin Warrior and name him Debonaire. Gonna be a sweet time...

I still say Blizzard is milking a dead cow that's spread the plague to the rest of the cows. Thanks not only to WoW's success, but Blizzard's persistence to keep it going no matter what, other MMO's coming out don't have the leeway to get away with trying anything new; it's either a WoW clone or so vastly different no one plays it.

They're homogenizing the MMO market the same as Microsoft did to the personal computer market back in the 80's. For the good of the genre it's time they hang up their hat and retire WoW from the world. Of course they won't do this as long as they can make money off of it...

This is why I'm truly sad to see them come up with, yet another, expansion.

Lerxst:
I still say Blizzard is milking a dead cow that's spread the plague to the rest of the cows. Thanks not only to WoW's success, but Blizzard's persistence to keep it going no matter what, other MMO's coming out don't have the leeway to get away with trying anything new; it's either a WoW clone or so vastly different no one plays it.

They're homogenizing the MMO market the same as Microsoft did to the personal computer market back in the 80's. For the good of the genre it's time they hang up their hat and retire WoW from the world. Of course they won't do this as long as they can make money off of it...

This is why I'm truly sad to see them come up with, yet another, expansion.

While I'm not disagreeing that these big companies are often the ones who start off these trends, it is only the fault of a company who -chooses- to follow those trends and then fails to profit from doing so. If an MMO is released with a bog-standard fantasy setting and wow-alike interface, and ends up bombing, it is only it's creators that are to blame here, they didn't create a product that enough people were interested in or was distinct enough to set it apart.

Skk, like blaming Peter Pan for a child jumping off a bookcase.

SilverKyo:

Wiezzen:
Launch servers for Vanilla WoW and each expansion. Problem solved.

you do realize that this is physically impossible. they don't sit on their old technology about previous versions of WoW, just having it stay there and take up space. It's a waste of resources. A simple example would be think about how much they changed the various classes and talent trees since vanilla. When you write code, you don't write new code on top of old code and have it run concurrently, you scrap the old code and replace it with the improved code. After 5 years of that, the coding for vanilla WoW no longer exists.

It wouldn't be a waste of resources if it kepted several thousand old school players happy. People have been requesting Vanilla WoW servers for a long time. And the old code does exist, even if it's not being used. You can even find several private servers using original code for Vanilla WoW servers.

ionveau:
All i see is lest cost to us development style, with all the cash shop mounts and reused content going on i dont see how anyone can still enjoy WoW, maybe i am just asking for too much or i am just a cheap person that wont spand money onless i get the most for it, but still..............

I get the feeling you don't spend money on WoW because your pocket money doesn't cover it. I'm not being a smart ass I just really get the feeling you are in junior high at the most.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Oh yes, I'm sure we'll all shed many a tear as we lament the zones that will be lost in the approaching cosmetic cataclysm. How could we forget such fond memories we shared with The Barrens?

[1.General] Legolassssxxxx: chuck norris would so beat superman
[1.General] Pwnstar: omg wtf gnome in xroads ganked me ffs so op
[Robwarrior]: kn u run me thru wc?

The general sense of wonder and awe I first felt exploring the huge recreation of Azeroth was gradually eroded once I discovered that unlike me, most players were just out to kill shit, farm items and gank noobs, and unfortunately that's what will personally stick in my mind. Anyone who had a more emotionally rewarding experience with WoW than I, I'm very jealous of you. I'll never get those damn hours of my life back.

How could you forget

[3.Local Defense] The Crossroads are under attack!

Anyway, having just got back into WoW after a hiatus since TBC, I can't exactly say I'll miss old Azeroth. There are areas I'll miss, such as Mulgore, but really, overall a change will be nice.

I haven't played the game much (I'm only a level 30) but I already feel like I know Azeroth like a good friend. It's going to be sad to see it change. However, the Worgen race sounds awesome.

How poetic: they've taken "Ruining Warcraft" to a literal level now.
It's no longer just a jaded analogy, they're actually destroying the original world.

Blizzard has shit all over what I liked about the setting already, might as well finish the job.

Atmos Duality:
How poetic: they've taken "Ruining Warcraft" to a literal level now.
It's no longer just a jaded analogy, they're actually destroying the original world.

Blizzard has shit all over what I liked about the setting already, might as well finish the job.

WoW has apparently been going down hill since TBC has come out and you can clearly tell with more subscriptions and alot better balancing then "noone but prot warriors can tank" and "lolret paladin and oomkin druid"

It's really tiresome to see so many posts about WoW going downhill and how bad its becoming. I'm not saying WoW is perfect or you have to agree with everything there doing but there are so many posts about WoW is being killed without even making a point as to why its dying.

RIP World of Warcraft January 16, 2007.

I'll be sad to turn my back on the old content, I spent so much time venturing through barrens and helping fix the shimmering flats to watch those races. I love the vanilla stuff and I will mourn the loss of it more than i'd like to admit.

jp201:

WoW has apparently been going down hill since TBC has come out and you can clearly tell with more subscriptions and alot better balancing then "noone but prot warriors can tank" and "lolret paladin and oomkin druid"

It's really tiresome to see so many posts about WoW going downhill and how bad its becoming. I'm not saying WoW is perfect or you have to agree with everything there doing but there are so many posts about WoW is being killed without even making a point as to why its dying.

RIP World of Warcraft January 16, 2007.

I was referring to the Warcraft universe and timeline in general, not just as it pertains to WoW.

I'll be creating my money grubbing goblin mage Tailor/engineer.

I'm bloody excited for these changes(Despite having a hellscream as warchief).

I need to grab up Loremaster before it comes out, though. That is my goal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here