The Escapist Presents: Recipe For Disaster

Pages PREV 1 2

Hmmm, I was under the impression that Logan lived in the UK. Was I wrong, or was he just visiting?

Playbahnosh:

Susan Arendt:
[...]That said, there's no substitute for just plain trying something.[...]

I totally agree. If you want to learn how to cook, well, cook! :)

If you never cooked before, don't be afraid, the kitchen won't bite :)

If all fails firefighters exist for something. Cooking can be very funny, even addictive. And if you are dating or married it can be a nice experience to do together.

On another note, will they release a "Britain Test Kitchen: let's get cooking"?!
Cause when they say in hell the chef is english, it's not without reason.

Andraste:

Chrinik:
To be honest, I think a perfectly fine cooking book is equally effective, and this "game" is probably just a cooking book which some bloke reads to you.
So it can be perfectly replaced by a guy capable of reading, a bottle of beer for his expenses and a cooking book written in normalspeak.

True, but if it gets more people to try cooking, just because of the novelty, we're on our way to healthier people. It's often much healthier to cook for yourself (cuz you know what's going into it) than to buy food out. Usually cheaper, too.

What I did like about the program is the time references the game gave. "Brown the meat, about five minutes." That's a helpful gauge for people who really don't cook at all and for planning preparation.

I agree with you on that time thing. I haven't a clue how long a piece of chicken or some meaty bit should be on the frying pan, or how hot the stove should be set on.
I'm also too poor to just buy meat, only to screw it up, so stuff like that is really handy.

Kind of weird realizing that you could say I'm intimidated by cooking. All that responsibility, a juicy slab of cow, and I'm just minutes away from ruining it.. *shiver*

Eric the Orange:
Hmmm, I was under the impression that Logan lived in the UK. Was I wrong, or was he just visiting?

You're not wrong, I do live in the UK. I was visiting, and they put me to work in the kitchens *sob*

The last three seconds made this entire video worth watching.

Also, in terms of "usefulness to learn how to cook", these things are great. Knowing how to cook comes from experience, if having a DS next to you that tells you what to do is great as long as it gets you experimenting and practising.

Cooking is just another skill, but people seem to be afraid of it.

Were you two plotting to kill the DS while cutting the onions? Or were these just the regular voices in my head?

Anyway, DS-Cooking. I'm good at cooking, I learned it by trial and error, because I found out that most cooking books are rubbish. The DS seemes like a voiced version of a good cooking book, so I think its a usefully idea. It also doesn't seem to have the same problem as cooking Tv-shows, which is not to be pausable. (Unless you recorded them, but who the hell does that?)

Is that the only British accent among the Escapist staff?

Anyway, exactly how much help did you get?

And, is it better than using a cookbook?

/interrogation

Exterminas:
Were you two plotting to kill the DS while cutting the onions? Or were these just the regular voices in my head?

Anyway, DS-Cooking. I'm good at cooking, I learned it by trial and error, because I found out that most cooking books are rubbish. The DS seemes like a voiced version of a good cooking book, so I think its a usefully idea. It also doesn't seem to have the same problem as cooking Tv-shows, which is not to be pausable. (Unless you recorded them, but who the hell does that?)

Not to mention not everyone has a tv close enough to the kitchen for it to be helpful.

I can honestly say i would eat the chicken. Good work guys, some tasty looking food right there.

Tharwen:
Is that the only British accent among the Escapist staff?

Anyway, exactly how much help did you get?

And, is it better than using a cookbook?

/interrogation

Susan was just off screen; we used her winces as a cue to tell when we were doing something wrong. :)

Where do I get a T-shirt like that?

It looked good, you guys!

But, my question: does the game have cheat codes? ;)

Captain Pancake:

It is nice, isn't it? I'm not sure where he got it, you'd have to ask him :P

I would like to see those recipes. Yeah, I know, I should go and buy the game, then.

I thought this was really awesome! It's nice to see The Escapist tackle some of these things. So next week will we have John doing Yoga using the Wii? Maybe Susan would be better for that?

I really smell something cooking now.

Ow... wait. that's my mom in the kitchen

Monshroud:
I thought this was really awesome! It's nice to see The Escapist tackle some of these things. So next week will we have John doing Yoga using the Wii? Maybe Susan would be better for that?

Would you settle for Carrie and Lauren?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/1081-Wii-Exercise-Challenge

Dig around in the Escapist Presents Gallery - you might be pleasantly surprised by some of our other fun "office people doing stuff" videos!

CaptainCrunch:

Monshroud:

Would you settle for Carrie and Lauren?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/1081-Wii-Exercise-Challenge

Dig around in the Escapist Presents Gallery - you might be pleasantly surprised by some of our other fun "office people doing stuff" videos!

That's Awesome! Don't know how I missed that. I will have to poke around that area a bit. I tend to just look at what's on the main page and don't tend to go through the archives much.

Now I have good reason to do so... To see my favorite staff do silly things...

So I guess you guys don't know what tomato sauce is. :p

Captain Pancake:

Spill a beer on yourself at a New Year's Eve party. That's how Westbrook got his.

So that's what Logan Westbrook looks like... I imagined him skinnier and with darker hair for some reason.

Yeah, those things are alright but I think really the internet is equally good for delivering recipes and instruction and the only thing the game has going for it is the hands-free thing.

I guess I was lucky learning to cook from Mum :D My first year in Uni was full of stir-fries and curries, rather than the pot-noodles and bean on toast that most people seemed to live off. Felt pleasantly superior every time they started complaining about food :D

The interwebs works for me just fine. As long as you can follow directions it is great!

Playbahnosh:

Susan Arendt:
[...]That said, there's no substitute for just plain trying something.[...]

I totally agree. If you want to learn how to cook, well, cook! :)

[snip]

Some tips from a gamer cook:
Don't worry about measurements and precise seasoning, forget the cookbook until you feel comfortable in the kitchen. Just grab some piece of meat or veggie and try to make the best of it! It doesn't matter if you put in one and a half tablespoon instead of one, or cook for twelve minutes instead of ten. Cookbooks contain recipes for someone else's taste anyway. Be adventurous, experiment with different spices, cooking times and ingredients, make it taste good to you! You can even try extreme combinations, like adding a little soy sauce or tabasco to your chocolate pudding, it might actually taste good! If you are not sure, use less salt and spices, remember, it's always much easier to put in some more afterwards than to take it back out :)

I hope I helped a little...

I have a large amount of experience as a chef and I have to say this is all fairly true. Taste is more or less subjective. Cooking is an art. Baking? That's a a meticulous science...ugh.

I don't understand how people can't cook. I also feel sorry for people that can't.

Well, I taught it myself (with some help from my grandma via phone) and I have to say, this looked very good - I would've ate it. Some problems remind me of myself in earlier times (I'm 19 now). Good job.

Nerdfury:
I don't understand how people can't cook. I also feel sorry for people that can't.

Easy. People grow up with their moms doing all the cooking and once they're on their own, it's just easier to nuke something in the microwave or eat nothing but takeout. In other words, people are just plain lazy. Yes, cooking for yourself is far cheaper and healthier than constantly eating out or making something instant, but if you don't know how to do it, it can be daunting to try and learn.

You had to learn basic cooking skills to graduate when I was in school, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Nerdfury:

If you've been cooking for a long time, or any time at all really, it can be hard to imagine not having the ability. But for people like me and John, who have never really learnt how to do it, it can be a daunting task. Like most skills it gets better with time, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I'd eat that. Now back to SC2 with you !

wow this is so cool lol
makes me wanna cook something fancier than grilled cheese
...and now I'm really hungry so I'm gonna go get something to eat
(the true test for man cooking: do the ladies like it?)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here