Review: Red Dead Redemption

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I've been watching my roommate play this since it came out, and it really does look great. Can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a try myself. I'm surprised to see such praise for the writing, however, as the cutscenes always felt like long drawn-out affairs with too much exposition by annoyingly-voiced characters; maybe it gets better later. It plays the 'Western' trope quite straight-on and maybe that avenue of story just isn't to my taste- I mean, I really loved the writing and voice acting of The Ballad of Gay Tony, backstory seemed to be managed better in that game and the characters were lively and interesting. I think John Marston is a pretty interesting character(and is voice acted well) but as of yet his supporting cast has failed to impress.

But like I said, I still can't wait to play this game myself! The gameplay really looks great.

Amazing review, I am glad the Escapist takes it's time rather than rushing it out like any other God-forsaken gamersite.

I just had a call that BP-games is delivering me the RDR copy tomorrow, I am psyched. I only have finals next week though, so that one has to sit for awhile..Unfortunatly.

Good review, not quite as in-depth as i usually like, but then again i'm just an annoying nickpicking bastard.

Anyway, enjoyed your review immensity and look forward to buying the game. Does it use the same graphics engine as GTA IV, and if so, does it have the same issues on the PC? (bad framerates, bloody Rockstar Social Club takin up valuable CPU time, etc)

It sounds like a cross between GTA and Assassin's Creed 2, with a little Fallout added. I just hope there aren't too many overhyped clones.

Hey this looks like fun. Too bad I don't have the funds to buy too many games right now. Damn it, I need a job!

This game looks soooo good!

Casual Shinji:
To be honest, I'm a little underwhelmed with this game. I've been playing it for a few days now and the only real fun I've had with it was in Free Roam, shooting up gang hide-outs and what not
The single-player starts off promising enough, but it never seems to develop beyond the initial introduction. John Marsden never seems to change as a character, he's constantly going on about "finding and killing a guy in order to return to his family" like he's a broken record. And none of the other characters are any interesting either except for the McFarlane's and the Marshall and they don't seem to stick with you throughout the later part of the game.

Glad I'm not the only one.
Don't get me wrong the game is fun and it's a really nice looking open world but it aint no San Andreas. It just seems like there's more they could've done to make you feel like You won the west; like at the end of Vice City when you feel like you own the place.
Good game but not a perfect 10. I'm just saying I'm glad I only spent $35 on it.

The single player is great and the online play is a nice bonus, I actually enjoy the death matches and capture the flag ones and normally I ignore those parts to a game.

The lasso might be the best thing in game because it will never effect your honor if you hassle people with it, but once you get the bandanna all is well.

Off to go play as I was just going on the computer to check the usual sites and this review only made me want to play more.

GonzoGamer:
Glad I'm not the only one.
Don't get me wrong the game is fun and it's a really nice looking open world but it aint no San Andreas. It just seems like there's more they could've done to make you feel like You won the west; like at the end of Vice City when you feel like you own the place.
Good game but not a perfect 10. I'm just saying I'm glad I only spent $35 on it.

Why should you feel like you won the West?

The entire point of Vice City was that Tommy wanted to take over the town. He succeeded, that's why at the end you feel like you own the place.

Red Dead Redemption is about the death throes of the Western lifestyle as the Industrial age came into its infancy. John never wanted to "Win" it back, he was actively trying to move on from the part of his life where he reveled in it. The entire game is about shutting the door on his past and progressing forward. It'd go against the entire message of the plot if in the end he "won the West."

Marowit:
I bought this game on launch-day and am very happy I did. It was worth every penny.

I haven't had any problems with ganking yet in MP (for the most part people just clear out bandit hideouts), and have actually had several people - strangers - just come help out. I am on the PS3 though. So, I'm not sure if there is a demographic difference between Xbox and PS3.

Anyway, I've spent most of my time in single player so far and love it. I think one of the most fun times I had was killing a gang that tried to use a woman to ambush me. Then hog-tying the woman, and laying her on the train tracks and waiting for the train...

I have a PS3 as well. I honestly don't think for the most part it is people "trying" to be jerks. In one instants me and my gaming buddies where going to clean out a gang hideout when some random guy began to shadow us and eventually tried to take us out. Unfortunately my broke the same day my game came in the mail so I couldn't yell at the guy, but after one of my buddies explained that you get more xp by teaming up and doing missions rather then killing each other the guy joined our group and It was good.

Of course, the next day I made the mistake of falling asleep on my couch while playing and was woken up at 5 am by some d-bag repeatedly killing my avatar as they respawned all the while yelling "How you like that cocksucker" over voice chat.

Sometimes people are just assholes doesn't really matter what console you play.

Now I'm really disappointed that it's not out on PC. It actually does look like a great game, which sadly I'll be unable to play due to lacking a current generation console and/or the willingness to buy one.

I'd actually been ignoring this game for some... Obviously, quite stupid reason.

I decided to watch/read this review simply because I watch all reviews on this site, out of curiosity mostly.

I can honestly say, I was ignoring this game unjustly...

I want, no! NEED this game.

From all the videos I've been checking out since watching this review I can honestly see that this game offers everything I've been wanting from a game for a long while now.

Something big on wasting time doing western things but of course with a story that's easy to ignore.

Also, cowboy hats, guns, horses... Free roaming...

I'm sold, I'm well and truly sold.

RoBi3.0:

Marowit:
I bought this game on launch-day and am very happy I did. It was worth every penny.

I haven't had any problems with ganking yet in MP (for the most part people just clear out bandit hideouts), and have actually had several people - strangers - just come help out. I am on the PS3 though. So, I'm not sure if there is a demographic difference between Xbox and PS3.

Anyway, I've spent most of my time in single player so far and love it. I think one of the most fun times I had was killing a gang that tried to use a woman to ambush me. Then hog-tying the woman, and laying her on the train tracks and waiting for the train...

I have a PS3 as well. I honestly don't think for the most part it is people "trying" to be jerks. In one instants me and my gaming buddies where going to clean out a gang hideout when some random guy began to shadow us and eventually tried to take us out. Unfortunately my broke the same day my game came in the mail so I couldn't yell at the guy, but after one of my buddies explained that you get more xp by teaming up and doing missions rather then killing each other the guy joined our group and It was good.

Of course, the next day I made the mistake of falling asleep on my couch while playing and was woken up at 5 am by some d-bag repeatedly killing my avatar as they respawned all the while yelling "How you like that cocksucker" over voice chat.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that for the fact that you fell asleep playing the game only to wake up to some dude yelling that at you, haha.

Back on topic, you're absolutely right. I have yet to play a multi-player game where there aren't those who gank.

However, a little trick I've found for the few times I've played is that if you load into free roam and see most people scattered around at different hideouts chances are you won't be getting ganked. If you see posses clustered, and you're not looking for that switch servers and save yourself the hassle...that is unless you like being chased.

It's good, although I have yet to play Free Roam with friends (which looks like it should be alot of fun).

the end joke was fucking funny, whoever thought it out-nice one dude/dudess

Sorry about being a grammar stickler but there is an error. It's lose money on horse shoes, not win.
Love the review, was so excited for this game I didn't wait for the review, and I'm glad I didn't.

Wow, I kinda ignored this game since I first heard about it but because of my wife's interest in it (I don't know why, she normally prefers riding around wildly in GTA or playing Peggle), this review, and those posted by fellow escapists, I now plan on buying it and would like to thank you all in advance for pointing out this gem that I would have otherwise passed by. On that subject, any other 360 games that you would recommend? I currently own Mass Effect, Condemned 1 & 2, GTAIV, Codmw2, and others (that I can't think of right now).

Marowit:

RoBi3.0:

Marowit:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that for the fact that you fell asleep playing the game only to wake up to some dude yelling that at you, haha.

Back on topic, you're absolutely right. I have yet to play a multi-player game where there aren't those who gank.

However, a little trick I've found for the few times I've played is that if you load into free roam and see most people scattered around at different hideouts chances are you won't be getting ganked. If you see posses clustered, and you're not looking for that switch servers and save yourself the hassle...that is unless you like being chased.

I thought it was pretty funny as well. :) And your right I have gotten to the point where if I get ganked and don't feel like PvPing I just load into another session. Simple as that not really worth the hassle to stick around.

How's the multiplayer?

DAAAAAMN

I WANT THIS GAME!!!!

Casual Shinji:
John Marsden never seems to change as a character, he's constantly going on about "finding and killing a guy in order to return to his family" like he's a broken record.

Not seeing what's so bad about character consistency. A man of few words and direct actions. Plus it shows that he does care for his family a whole damned lot. Wouldn't it seem rather weird if at like 50% of the game he went all "Ahhh fuck it" and pretty much ignored the reason why he cáme to New Austin.

Oh and don't try to spoil stuff about the actual story, as I only júst made it into New Mexico.

I was pretty hyped before it came out, so I was sure I would be slightly disappointed. I wasn't. It is one of the best games I have played in ages. The review and other comments here all tell you why, except for one little thing. If you press B (on 360) while walking/riding past someone, Marston will tip his hat and greet the person. Yes, you can tip your hat at people. That is enough reason to buy this game.
In MP you can also press B to say something, which is different for all the characters I think. I play as a Rebeldes, so he yells a lot of stuff in Mexican. I can't understand a word, but fast-spoken Mexican is awesome, so I press B a lot...

No release for PC/Mac? Well, that's unfortunate :\
Looks great though. Nice to see some new ideas in the gaming world.

Single player was pretty good, the end really bothered me.

All in all it is fun, interesting, and different. It's refreshing to see a game like this come out instead of the generic crap that is given to us all the time.

Multiplayer is fun when you're rolling with friends or in a decent sized posse. But otherwise prepare to be camped. A lot.

This game looks awesome!

I'll probably be getting it soon. I just need a little bit more money...

*AHEM*
Gun anyone?
No?
Has anyone ever played that game?

OT: I am thinking about picking this game up, and this review has definitely boosted my chances. Great review yet again though!

Wow this game seems really worth the money. Now onto the yatzhee review(ya know, tomorrow. probably)!

BloodyThoughts:
*AHEM*
Gun anyone?
No?

Gun was one of the first games I played on Xbox 360. This game is better in almost every way. (Sorry Gun.)

Russ Pitts:

BloodyThoughts:
*AHEM*
Gun anyone?
No?

Gun was one of the first games I played on Xbox 360. This game is better in almost every way. (Sorry Gun.)

Well I guess I can't disagree with you until I have played Red Dead Redemption. But Gun, so far, is definitely my favorite western sandbox game.

Russ Pitts:

The Western genre has been won.

Read Full Article

Would you say Red Dead is better or worse then Rockstar's other games involving bad guys, sandboxes, and running from the law after murdering everybody in sight, or am I just missing the point asking that?

Not G. Ivingname:

Russ Pitts:

The Western genre has been won.

Read Full Article

Would you say Red Dead is better or worse then Rockstar's other games involving bad guys, sandboxes, and running from the law after murdering everybody in sight, or am I just missing the point asking that?

I don't know if you're missing the point, but it's an easy enough question for me to answer. To wit: I am enjoying Red Dead Redemption far more than I have enjoyed any other Rockstar game to date.

This makes me think of Oblivion but with western style setting. I have not yet had to chance to play it though...

soapyshooter:

Jaredin:
I have completed main story, and it was epic throughout. Its just amazing! UI love everything from looks to the design, to the characters.

Real Golden Game!

Were you disappointed with the ending? It seemed to be less grand than the rest of the game :/
Still a great game nonetheless, it has its flaws but still achieves greatness.

I was very disappointed with the ending, it could have gone about 3 different ways that would have been better if you ask me.

Kapol:
Also, when the review said 'Mount A Horse,' my mind went to a bad place. XD

yeah I seem to do that too =.= need to clean up this dirty mind lol

katsabas:
Oh, a Rockstar game again. What, no cousin? Pre-ordered this yesterday. GTAs never managed to win me over. Westerns? Ooooooh yeah, I get to be a Marshall! God, I love that badge. Do you get to wear one?

There is an unlockable law-man outfit, and it does come with a badge.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here