Preview: Medal of Honor Beta Hands On

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Looks boring.

Gameplay looks meh, but Medal of Honor get's plus 10 points for having the balls to say we're fighting the Taliban, in Afghanistan. Instead of, ethnic insurgents in a desert environment that resembles Afghanistan but isn't.

Similarities to BFBC2 and MW2 aside, they're obviously trying to be realistic. Taliban in Afghanistan gettin' beat by Uncle Sam, and so forth.

But they've made a cataclysmic error. They're all US Army chaps in Helmand, so... where're everybody else? Where are 40 Commando or The Rifles or anyone from the NATO coalition? Do they not exist any more? Considering that British troops have been amongst the worst hit in Helmand (and in Afghanistan in general) this seems wrong.

The only thing that bugs me about this is that the first Medal of Honour did NOT come out in 2002. I remember playing Medal of Honour games on my old PS1 when I was a wee lad back in the late nineties.

colourcodedchaos:

But they've made a cataclysmic error. They're all US Army chaps in Helmand, so... where're everybody else? Where are 40 Commando or The Rifles or anyone from the NATO coalition? Do they not exist any more? Considering that British troops have been amongst the worst hit in Helmand (and in Afghanistan in general) this seems wrong.

Hell yes. This is the point I wanted to make. I know we should have really come to expect this from America by now, and knowing Medal of Honour was originally by Steven Spielberg, who sort of forgot that there were British and Canadian soldiers in D-Day, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but when you make a map based on a conflict zone fought in primarily by the British and Afghanistan forces, and replace both of them with a bunch of Army Rangers, going to fight the ragheads for Mom and Apple Pie, well. It just feels like a kick in the nuts. Not to mention that it's rather disrespectful overall, perhaps this is why most developers shy away from real wars.

I'd like to hear an honest DICE opinion about the multiplayer. Somehow I feel that they'd much rather work on their own game series, Battlefield or Mirror's Edge, than get "outsourced" to do multiplayer on a Medal of Honor game.

I guess EA is boss, and the money is good.

I think its gonna be sick, if the online is made by dice then it is guaranteed to be.

AmrasCalmacil:

colourcodedchaos:

Hell yes. This is the point I wanted to make. I know we should have really come to expect this from America by now, and knowing Medal of Honour was originally by Steven Spielberg, who sort of forgot that there were British and Canadian soldiers in D-Day, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but when you make a map based on a conflict zone fought in primarily by the British and Afghanistan forces, and replace both of them with a bunch of Army Rangers, going to fight the ragheads for Mom and Apple Pie, well. It just feels like a kick in the nuts. Not to mention that it's rather disrespectful overall, perhaps this is why most developers shy away from real wars.

This pisses me off so much as well, because its not just a few things, its effectivly all war movies and games disregard anybody who isnt american, american troops were a minority of the troops on d-day but obviously there are no british in savinng private ryan, and some even portray totally brittish operations by americans as well,

And i also found the recent odst in really bad taste, it was something like remember the alamo, remember trafalger, remember the somme, remember odst,
thousands of people died in those wars and they are using them as marketing for a fucking fictional space game, hollywood has completely undermined the seriousness and brutality of wars which you would think would be the most sacred of historic events, but i suppose if they are makinng money, they arnt going to stop any time soon

Chameliondude:

AmrasCalmacil:

colourcodedchaos:

This pisses me off so much as well, because its not just a few things, its effectivly all war movies and games disregard anybody who isnt american, american troops were a minority of the troops on d-day but obviously there are no british in savinng private ryan, and some even portray totally brittish operations by americans as well,

And i also found the recent odst in really bad taste, it was something like remember the alamo, remember trafalger, remember the somme, remember odst,
thousands of people died in those wars and they are using them as marketing for a fucking fictional space game, hollywood has completely undermined the seriousness and brutality of wars which you would think would be the most sacred of historic events, but i suppose if they are makinng money, they arnt going to stop any time soon

This is getting on my nerves as well, almost as much as that U-571 film... it's interesting how when appealing to an international audience companies still try to change history in order to put the Americans in the spotlight. Personally I don't think it's fair that other nations don't receive their credit, especially when they've suffered casualties there. Though it's ultimately down to the game designers so what can you do :/

Guys do you'll want BETA key if yes then i suggest you'll to visit this cool site. Good Luck http://medalofhonorkey.blogspot.com/

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here