Escape to the Movies: Four Lions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

GamesB2:
Well it sounds awesome :D

I watched it on the plane home from China. It wasn't too amazing.

Proverbial Jon:
Sounds like an intriguing film, certainly got two things going for it that would interest me: 1. it's British, which since I live in England is always a good thing. 2. Its not afraid to explore an otherwise taboo subject.

Also: I had no idea that America didn't have the Honey Monster... You guys have been missing out!

I thought the Honey Monster was American. Oh well.

Awesome review. Annoyed I missed this when it was on in the UK. Will have to get the DVD. And if this gets any sort of controversial feedback from the US because of its subject matter then I will know that free speech is dead in America.

Proverbial Jon:
Sounds like an intriguing film, certainly got two things going for it that would interest me: 1. it's British, which since I live in England is always a good thing. 2. Its not afraid to explore an otherwise taboo subject.

Also: I had no idea that America didn't have the Honey Monster... You guys have been missing out!

In America, all food is monstrous. It never misses either. (I'm American. I know what I'm talking about, dear people across the pond.)

fanklok:

J03bot:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.

But Let me in was released forever ago, I don't even think it's still in theaters.

What the hell is a honey monster

just out in england and hes the mascot for sugar puffs

Finally, a film I was able to see months before the rest of the world! It's not the best thing Chris Morris has made - On The Hour, The Day Today and Brass Eye are peerless and Nathan Barley (co-written with Yahtzee's main inspiration, Charlie Brooker) is better - but that's not saying much at all! Go see it!

Well being English anyway I should be fine with it. Definitely want to see it now thanks bob =)

Strangely enough, I saw about 10 minutes of this film months ago. I was at my local cinema and walked into the wrong screen, sat down and saw this. I thought it was a trailer at first but when it went on coherently for 10 minutes I realised I wasn't in the right place.

Yes, by the way, the characters are that stupid, even from the short amount of time I watched it, it was clear that this was the case.

This seems a lot like the Rubbish Terrorists cartoon that was on Monkey Dust.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5-aOF7ZWs&feature=related

Jack and Calumon:
I loved this film and need to get a bloody big copy of it because the creators deserve it. Oh and the Honey Monster's been cool for ages. I respect him more than David Cameron and his Right wing party that is going too far. Fox hunting with dogs hurts the fox immensely, so STOP DOING IT!

Go away leftie, you're not welcome here.

And the Tories are Centre-Right, they're barely different to NuLabour apart from a slightly more liberal economic creed. And I've never heard of them peddling Fox Hunting re-legalization while the coalition has been about.

I saw this on DVD for rent where I work, it's been out here for a long while, I'm surprised this was the film you chose this week.

I've been putting off watching it because I'm not that big on comedy, but I suppose I'll give it a go.

What's so bad about fox hunting? How is it any different than any other form of hunting that ends with a dead animal?

D0WNT0WN:
It has Omid Djalli in it, he is my favorite comedian.

Im going to see it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, Omid Djalli isn't in this film. Regardless, go see it.

OT: I agree, good film.

is this playing in boston?

Djinn8:
This seems a lot like the Rubbish Terrorists cartoon that was on Monkey Dust.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5-aOF7ZWs&feature=related

Monkey Dust!

The sketch of "The Meatsafe Murderer", "The Pedofinder General" and that one where the step dad has his son around and tries to impress him but fails miserably (and that one episode where that sketch goes severely dark) have always been my favourites.

I suspect you're also a fan of "The League Of Gentlemen" as well? If you are, what did you think of the movie?

Bah, I forgot about this film, it looks really good. Definately going to get this on DVD.

I'm really suprised they got away with this film with almost no controversy, mainly because it's a british film and we don't complain like some of you Americans but it is a massively british film which I think people in the UK will find amazing but anyone from other countries will find it great but miss out on a lot of jokes and I mean a lot.

bahumat42:
ok having just watched it yesterday its not a musical, and its not python (which is a very particular kind of spoof comedy which we don;t see so often) what it is though is a funny if occaisonally disjointed movie which handles the issues maturely and whilst the characters do over the top things it all seems scarily believable. definantly worth the watch.

Well that's all I needed to hear. LOL Bob actually hooked me in the moment he mentioned a Comedy about terrorists....There is some SUPER SERIOUS LAUGHS waiting for me just by saying that.

CosmicCommander:

Jack and Calumon:
I loved this film and need to get a bloody big copy of it because the creators deserve it. Oh and the Honey Monster's been cool for ages. I respect him more than David Cameron and his Right wing party that is going too far. Fox hunting with dogs hurts the fox immensely, so STOP DOING IT!

And the Tories are Centre-Right, they're barely different to NuLabour apart from a slightly more liberal economic creed. And I've never heard of them peddling Fox Hunting re-legalization while the coalition has been about.

I'm all for having right wing. There are some things I want to keep in this country and traditions to preserve which is what the right wing is about but last Sunday there was talks over a re-legislation of the lifting the fox hunting ban, which is totally not cool.

I wouldn't call myself Left Wing, as I hate the people who want to change society and try to improve it as well but there are some things which need to be kept the same and some things that need to change. For example, Health and Safety taking away "Cheese Rolling" over how dangerous it could POTENTIALLY be is too much, but keeping Fox hunting with dogs is not cool either.

Also, you discriminate against Left Wing people? That's not nice. Then again, I wasn't expressing all my views right so we can call it even.

Finally, no more arguing, I was foolish to discuss politics outside of the Politics board which we could debate there.

Calumon: They all look to smart... why can't they look more fun! :D

Absolutely loved the movie, for me hands down top movie of the year.

I think it pushes the boundaries quite brilliantly, because it gets you to the very edge of the cliff where you get a perfect view of what comedy is all about.

JaredXE:
What's so bad about fox hunting? How is it any different than any other form of hunting that ends with a dead animal?

O_o sorry this is off topic, but the moment you mentioned Fox-hunting I immediately snapped to that awesome scene of Metal Gear Solid where Greyfox was fighting Metal Gear Rex!

Liquid: "In the Middle East we don't hunt Foxes, we hunt Jackals and instead of Foxhounds we use Royal Harriers"

Gentlemen Time for the Hunt!

fanklok:

J03bot:
How have I not heard of this? I was semi-expecting a review of Let Me In, and then this rolls along? I am intrigued, and shall endeavour to see it.

And yes, the Honey Monster is awesome. As my Sugar Puffs T-shirt suggests.

But Let me in was released forever ago, I don't even think it's still in theaters.

What the hell is a honey monster

It only just came out in the UK... Silly slow release dates.
Did you watch the video? The Honey Monster is basically the mascot type thing for a breakfast cereal in the UK called Sugar Puffs. They're amazing!

Saw this last night actually, it is very good. There are quite a few British references, and you kinda need to know a fair bit about Britain to understand this fully.

Other than the obvious story about the terrorists, it also has a MASSIVE undertone about how the West (mostly Britain) are dealing with the issue of terrorism. From politicians to the police, it's the British equivalent of the South Park episode where they bury their heads in the sand, only instead of ignoring the issue, the politicians/police are over reacting and getting things wrong because they don't fully understand the REAL issue.

While it is a comedy, it's also an apt commentary of how things are, or have been going on in the UK. If you are American or any other nationality, you should watch it, but be prepared not to find it as funny as we might. If any of you watch it, which I recommend, make sure you watch the credits. You'll find out where that bazooka missile went...

JaredXE:

Because they chase the fox with a pack of dogs for fecking ages and then don't eat it or anything worthwhile.

Just terrorizing the animal and killing it as a group instead of hunting for food or any other reason than just to scare and kill it.

This was one of the best films me and my friends ever had the pleasure of watching.

We were still laughing when we left the cinema, XD.

Scrumpmonkey:
I've had this on DVD for a little while now being terribly British (was released in september i think) and all i have to say is go and see it. It's a perfect antidote to an issue especially america has very little grasp on the reality of, it's both hilerious and an insight into just how absurd the reaction and perception of terrorism is.

Also crow-bomb.

Indeed, the films insight into our reaction to terrorism is pretty amazing given that the rest of the film is essentually an Ealing comedy, easily the funniest and most disturbing film I've seen this year.

Aiddon:
one thing I always find funny is how people think comedians aren't being serious with their material. Like how so many people on the Escapist think Yahtzee's reviews aren't "real" reviews because he's being funny about it

I find it annoying that people think that just because he throws a comedic term in there his subjective and objective claims go ignored.

If I was to say that the dialogue of a game was poorly read, you'd take me seriously. If I said the dialogue read like a crappy love note that went through the wash all of a sudden people don't think it means anything more than a jocular metaphor. God damn people are stupid.

OT: Looks good, sorry about your non-britishness though. We Aussies were practically raised on the stuff.

JaredXE:

fox hunting is fun... trouble is it always ends with the fox getting shot or torn apart by hounds, for my money its better to corner the little buggers and smash their face off with a hammer... smashed foxes are always worth the effort...

oh and for americans out there David cameron isn't right wing... he's a horribly grey and bland centre right twit just like the new labour idiots we just kicked out and currently finishing the job on our economy the banks and gordo thickie brown started.

but non the less, i saw four lions a while ago and its probably the best comedy this year... enjoy!

JaredXE:

Because they don't eat the fox, they let the hounds tear it apart alive instead of a quick kill via gun, usually after chasing it for miles across the countryside by a huge pack of dogs and several braying snobs. Quite a bit of difference. And even recreational hunting in the US usually results in a meal or a trophy, it still sucks, but at least it just isn't for the pleasure of killing and rubbing the animals' blood on your face.

Netflix'd

Is that a term now like 'I googled'?

I somehow feel more dirty for saying 'netflixed' than I do for wanting to see funny terrorists.

Jack and Calumon:

CosmicCommander:

Jack and Calumon:

I'm all for having right wing. There are some things I want to keep in this country and traditions to preserve which is what the right wing is about but last Sunday there was talks over a re-legislation of the lifting the fox hunting ban, which is totally not cool.

I wouldn't call myself Left Wing, as I hate the people who want to change society and try to improve it as well but there are some things which need to be kept the same and some things that need to change. For example, Health and Safety taking away "Cheese Rolling" over how dangerous it could POTENTIALLY be is too much, but keeping Fox hunting with dogs is not cool either.

Also, you discriminate against Left Wing people? That's not nice. Then again, I wasn't expressing all my views right so we can call it even.

Finally, no more arguing, I was foolish to discuss politics outside of the Politics board which we could debate there.

Calumon: They all look to smart... why can't they look more fun! :D

Thing about right wing left wing is that people forget that there's a body attached. Ya know, a middle ground. You don't have to convene all your political ideologies to one box or the other.

if chris morris is at the helm this should be pretty good...after all this is the guy who made a special hour long episode on pedophiles and named it pedogeddon.

EvilCheesecake:

Proverbial Jon:

I thought the Honey Monster was American. Oh well.

Awesome review. Annoyed I missed this when it was on in the UK. Will have to get the DVD. And if this gets any sort of controversial feedback from the US because of its subject matter then I will know that free speech is dead in America.

Well sadly it'll mean free speech is well enough alive.

We just can't keep the most retarded amongst us away from the microphone.

Loud idiots.

JaredXE:

The reason seems to revolve around the methods of hunting. Deer hunting and the like all follow a set of ethics (most likely pushed by the Boone & Crockett Club) that mean the hunter minimises, and even prevents the pain the animal goes through. One way this is done is by pointing out where on the body you should aim for to take the animal down with one shot in just a few seconds, if not nearly immediately.

Fox hunting? A bunch of hounds tear it to pieces. Possibly, there isn't exactly film footage of every single kill at a fox hunt.

I surprised it took so long to come to the U.S.A, still it is nice for a reverse of fortune for me in not having to wait weeks after it's released stateside to see a film...

If you like black or dark comedy DO GO watch this in the theatre.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here