The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 28 NEXT

The Escapist is becoming like television. Many shows, and very few things to watch.

AWESOME! We're getting a lot of good new shows! First Extra Credits and now this? sweet! There'll be some nice topics here i'm sure.
OT: I've never noticed that, but I wouldn't exactly call Halo symbolistic of racism or anything of that nature. I just think it's lost it's touch. The first one was great, but 2 and 3 were too safe. However, you did make an interesting and well thought out point.
Great show!

You know, anyone else find it odd that the ad for this episode shows Master Chief standing next to an allied alien? I mean, that pretty much renders everything Movie Bob said about racial superiority null and void. Though he conveniently avoided this by not even mentioning the rebellion in his video. So I have to wonder why he would represent this episode with a picture that invalidates everything he said.

Sounds like Bob's more of a Mass Effect fan ;p

Didn't Duke Nukem slaughter a wide variety of different alien species? And he was blonde!

Shit! It all comes together now!

I didn't like it.

Granted I'm a halo fan but that was just nagging on something that I didn't find very interesting I didn't realize it and it was kind of interesting for 5 seconds then he went on about it forever.

Also, in halo 3 the elites team up with the humans.

This should have been called racial diversity in video games and mentioned halo but that would have been an extra credits episode.

I always enjoy Moviebob's videos because he bothers to analyze things beyond the surface level, which some people find no value in, sadly. Whether one agrees with him or not, his points are at least thought-provoking, and the inevitable fanboy rage will no doubt spike page hits for The Escapist.

Looking forward to the next Big Picture! :)

GrinningManiac:

SnootyEnglishman:
This is quite interesting..this is looking much better than escape to the movies.

There was something wrong with E.t.t.M?

I really liked it. What didn't you like about it? (geniunely interseted)

I'm not saying it's completely bad. Just this one is holding my interest more than Escape to the Movies.

Love it, Mr. Bob! Can't wait for the next one!

At the risk of sounding ignorant, who were the faces of? Were they actual people or just representations of various emotions and archetypes?

Great work on reflection! Things mentioned in the video could have made the Halo universe much more interesting from a story perspective. You certainly came up with something which i hadn't noticed.

This goes alot along the lines of the Game Overthinker series, only with a much more broader choice of subjects. It will be interesting to see what you'll come up with!

I want that music right now!

MONKEYS!!!
Yes please.
I like the jazzy vibe of the music. Also, I wish I worked for crazy people.

Congrats, Bob. This should be most interesting.

Great! , more Movie Bob.
But seriosly , I liked Halo because of its history and context. Thats why I have an Xbox, to not play CoD or something like that.

I didn't even think about that....until know. *Clutches head* THE INFORMATION IS PROCESSING!!!

This is what happens when Movie Bob talks about Halo or FPS games in general. Now Bob is an intelligent guy and he has proved it a lot of times, however when he talks about the two subjects mentioned in the last sentence you can see a mix of bias and a bunch of wrong facts or misunderstandings(not to say ignorance). I am going to watch this with interest, as I do MovieBoB and TGO, however Bob, please stay away from FPS games, please? They aren't your strong point.

You're giving Bungie far too much credit Bob. Gameplay comes first, story after. The Covenant were just an excuse to have a variety of enemies to fight against in the original Halo. Their purpose and background came after.

Still, interesting show, looking forward to next week.

THANK YOU FOR PROVING THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT NOTICED THE "blue eye" THING!

Sweet, Now i have a credible reason for hating Halo so much. Woohoo!

Traun:
This is what happens when Movie Bob talks about Halo or FPS games in general. Now Bob is an intelligent guy and he has proved it a lot of times, however when he talks about the two subjects mentioned in the last sentence you can see a mix of bias and a bunch of wrong facts or misunderstandings(not to say ignorance). I am going to watch this with interest, as I do MovieBoB and TGO, however Bob, please stay away from FPS games, please? They aren't your strong point.

If it's any comfort, he posted a video on GameOverthinker about how the FPS genre is destroying all that is good in the world.

Karisse:
Excellent start to a new series. While the subtext of purity vs. mixed is pretty obvious now that Bob mentioned it, I certainly never took notice.

That's because it wasn't there. It's a bunch of aliens fighting a bunch of humans and cyborgs. There is no subtext.

Seriously, this video was fucking stupid on so many levels.

greygelgoog:

Traun:

If it's any comfort, he posted a video on GameOverthinker about how the FPS genre is destroying all that is good in the world.

Notice how he says that shit, yet has never played anything by Valve, and one game from Irrational Games. It's like eating a couple bad pizzas and dismissing all Italian food ever made.

Stick to movies, Moviebob. You're WAY off on this one.

As far as reach in concerned "bob" has a good point..It is only when you play through all 4 halo games (excluding halo wars) that both sides have depth. The human's race is very one tone as it is, in halo you see characters from all nationalities and races and the battles take place every on earth for example one highly evolved and advanced city is in Africa. the point I'm trying to show here is that its impossible for the humans to have diversity because they are all one group of people were are the covenant are from all different groups...this diversity does change when the human side allies with the group in the covenant know as the elites...so there are now 2 different species working together so there is some diversity in the end.

I think to completely judge the halo games you need to have played them all. to look at just one individually would defile the point of the whole argument of both sides.

In the second halo it is very interesting to watch diplomacy between groups or species within the covenant were politics gets in the way of progress.

what the ultimate story is truly is one species fight to survive against an "axis power" who's only drive is to destroy humans, and to find some machine that apparently will grant them a place in their form of heaven.

another thing to look as is the civilians in the game humans have civilians and from things in the cities of reach also could lead to the argument of children being present, were as the covenant there is no such presence of civilians because we do not see the aliens home land all the battles are either in space or on human or forerunner structures.

in the game the aliens kill or it is suggested that they openly kill unarmed civilians without cause.....the thing is, like anything about war you have many points to all sides in all arguments...but like war everything seems to change, and each side is never completely in the right.

This is going to be good stuff. Finally, something to look forward to on Tuesdays.

Also, I love the intro/outro music.

And he completely missed part of the big picture. Like, how the main reason that Bungie decided to use multiple races as ememies was because, unlike just fighting humans, they are more interesting? That's what Bob started out on, but he missed the point that the reason that the Covenant are so cool to fight is because there is a bigger variety. I've heard people say that they would play Halo if there was a story where you could be the Covenant fighting the Humans, but that would just be boring. Then you would be basicly playing Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer with a mode that makes you look like a Grunt or Jackle!

And For the record, I never even had an X-Box Live acount until I bought Reach, and I bought ALL of the Halo games, just because it had an awsome story and campaign. Plus I got all of the books I could find. So maybe I'm just weird, but Online Multiplayer, in any game, isn't a big deal for me. Split-Screen is another story.

Actually, another point along those lines are what happened to the Elites when they joined our side: They became zionist exterminaters... spouting on and on about how bad the other covenant were.

And yes, I'm surprised at myself for not noticing that sooner, or at all, thanks for pointing that out Bob.

MovieBob:
Combat Evolved?

This week MovieBob rants about Halo.

Watch Video

Grats on your new show!

However the topic you chose I think was thin. No one cares about those kind of things when they play a game. Specially when Halo:CE came out, people just wanted to shoot aliens and stuff. I think you were reading in to deep about the first halo and the aliens in general. The developers just needed a cool enemy to blow up. However that scene in the movie with his eyes turning blue was a bit unsettling. However they may be intentionally drawing on "master race" themes to muster up some conjured controversy for exposure. The movie and the game are two whole different beasts, Movie bob of all people should know that.

There are way better topics to choose from too when it comes to your first episode, this seemed weak. I hated to be so critical, but I am spoiled by the escapist and demand nothing but excellence!

I like this. I haven't played Halo much so I can't comment, but when watching 300, I did think to myself:

"wow, the Spartans are boring. They all look and fight the same, and aren't interested in anything except for shouting and fighting. Oh wow, these Persians come in so many different shapes and sizes, and they're into things like jewellery and weird orgies and stuff. They're interesting."

Kudos for pointing out the quasi-fascist elements of Spartan society as well. I get sickened when some guy describes Spartans as bastions of ancient democracy, them failing to realise 80% of Spartan society were slaves who couldn't vote. Kind of ironic how the "evil" persian empire actually abolished slavery and enriched the local culture of wherever they conquered.

ah dude, the elites join the humans kinda puts a big hole in you single race argument!

latenightapplepie:
I would have liked if Movie Bob could have provided some more examples of this phenomenon of "pure race" vs "racial mixing" in fiction. Because by just mentioning Halo, it looks like he's just trying to bash Halo.

Moreover, he clearly demonstrates he hasn't played Halo 2 and Halo 3 in which the humans team up with some of the aliens, "working together towards a common goal".

Yeahhhh, this really wasn't a great start.

I agree, I think this series has potential, but I felt like the video ended before making any sort of real relevance. If he had discussed more examples or made his point more solid before ending, it would have been a success in my eyes.

Oh come on, at least come up with some creative troll bait.

I love your stuff MovieBob, and I look forward to more of this series, but this is pretty much the definition of reading to much into things. You play as a godlike super soldier to justify why your AI teammates don't fight nearly as well as you, not because Bungie supports fascism. The covenant is not a group of multi-race aliens because Bungie subconsciously hates multiculturalism, it is to provide enemy variety, so you aren't shooting the same enemy the whole damn game. Plus, Halo 2 and 3 even made some of the aliens the good guys when roughly half of them rebelled from the evil alien zealots.

Not every damn thing has to have subtext.

Hoo yah! More MovieBob, explaining the disturbing similarities between Halo and Nazism! I could not be happier!

This is series is going to be maxium trolling, I'm sure, but I at least respect you for moving from "HALO HAS NO STORY" to "HALOS STORY SEEMS A BIT ODD", at least that's a step in the right direction.

Personally, I think the whole thing about the Covenant is they're mostly innocent to the will of the Prophects, being slaves and all, even the higher races are such.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 28 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here