Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I'm a pretty big star wars fan, but not necessarily a star wars 'phile. I enjoy all six movies if nothing else but for the spectacle. I know it's shallow, but if I want depth, there are good movies out there like sideways and pulp fiction. If I want to see robots fighting clones in pitched explody battles, i'm not going to watch casablanca. Kotor is indeed one of my favorite games, as is jedi academy. It's worth remembering that Star Wars is intended for children and I have yet to meet a kid who doesn't like star wars.

I appreciate a lot of the criticisms of SW and i see where it's coming from, but to each there own, right?

I was pretty tired of Star Wars before the new trilogy even came out, and considering they didn't even ignite the pants of every Star Wars fanboy, I was left with a pretty lackluster feeling about the entire property at that point. Most of what they produce now is just repackaged fantasy swashbuckling that happens to involve spaceships and blasters, and really not even enough spaceships. Less lame FPS and more X-wing/TIE Fighter, please.

echo.. echo... echo... echo....

TIE Fighter for PC was the other good thing from this IP.

Is there any chance you'd review Kirby's Epic Yarn? I know you're not a Wii fan, but we don't come to hear you complement stuff do we? Lol.

"Do not F... With this Guy!"

Lol.

HankMan:
Force lightning is EVERYBODY's weakness?
That's....
*puts on sun glasses*
Shocking
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ohh you ass! You made me spit my coke onto my keyboard.

Good video that game looke awful, review black ops yet just saying get it outa the way now befor everyone else starts requaesting it

I was looking forward to this. I didn't love the first, but it was fun enough. But all the reviews all say it's terribly short and terribly easy, two things that are kind of deal-breakers for me. Plus, Quick-Time Events are back, and I was hoping they wouldn't. I'm pretty sure a lady got smashed by monster's tentacles in the first and it would have been awesome if I didn't have to look at the button prompts instead.

I still love Star Wars though, including the prequels and Ewok-related happenings. I am immune to all "George Lucas has no clue how to do characterization and dialogue" rants.

Eh, I wasn't overly impressed with the first game, and the fact that he uses dual sabers vs a double saber (darth maul all the way) just made me say no.

Also I personally loved both of the KotOR games, though it did upset me a bit in the first one how you couldn't become a jedi until later and even then didn't give you the force points for your previous levels.

I hadn't gotten around to playing the first game yet and after everything I've heard about this one (before hearing him tear it to shreds) made me only want to rent it at best. That's what I was planning to do with the first one, since it was recommended by a good friend of mine.

I still like Star Wars, but like most people, I tend to like the older stuff. Before Lucas made WAY to many changes and tried to add way too much stuff. I think the Clone Wars (movie and TV) were pointless and stupid, in at least the show couldn't even get the actual actors to provide voices.I do seem to be one of the few people that doesn't absolutely hate the prequel trilogy (except for Ep. 2, I don't like that one). While there are things that I didn't like about them, I still think they belong with the rest of the series.

Cain_Zeros:

A Curious Fellow:
Look at the first three posts. Nothing offensive at all, not even a "F!RST". And yet, probation. Christ, the mods on this site are oversensitive. Maybe they haven't been getting laid often enough and this is where they take out their frustration? Sounds like a good discussion topic...

It was because they posted before they could have possibly watched the video.

Posts were still on topic. They were expressing an opinion about the subject chosen for the video, and the first dude apparently posted while watching. I don't really see an issue there big enough to attract mod attention. Shouldn't they save face and use their power against real offenders like trolls, harassers, and posters of truly offensive content? Otherwise leave us be. Those three weren't hurting anyone or derailing the discussion.

A Curious Fellow:

On topic: No. I don't think many people DO still like Star Wars. It's the brand recognition that keeps it alive.

Tell that to the 32,000 people that attended Star Wars Celebration V this past August. You think many of them traveled from around the country and as was my case and many others, across the Atlantic ocean just because of brand recognition? Are you clinically insane? Seriously.

I don't even care that you don't like anything else than the original trilogy, that's fine but saying brand recognition is all that Star Wars fans are about is frankly demeaning. I mean do you think Star Wars fans would be so inspirationally creative building costumes, portions of sets, props, making fan films, writing fan songs and creating paintings, drawings etc of Star Wars if they didn't like it! Get real!

One of the best ZP's for a long time, it's nice to see a shit game being torn apart once in a while... also I hope Fable 3's review comes next week!

Have you ever played Star Wars Battlefront 2? i remember in your Halo reach review you mentioned you liked space fights, and they were a big part of that game. Repetative yet fun

Damnit Yahtzee I thought you were above flamebait. Anyway people still like the old Star Wars, that's it.

dunno how you feel about hand helds but you should do one for peace walker!

So in other words every problem the first game had.

Rakor:
Addendum:

No one blooms that fast....unless its an anime.

I see what you did their ^_^

OT: I'll judge this game for my self, I'm easily pleased.

Although i found this video quite funny XD

zHellas:

quantumsaint:
I wanted to play it just to play through as Guybrush.

Yeah, how do you play as Guybrush exactly?

http://kotaku.com/5672055/see-guybrush-threepwood-in-action-learn-how-to-unlock-him

This game was not needed at all xD I mean, they could have made a Force Unleashed 2, but done it in a totally different time period, and leave it at "Starkiller died". Then you could do some sort of Story Arch in which a series of extremely powerful jedi crop up throughout time, but have no specific orientation to light or dark.
But, that would involve a LOT of redesigning... Ah well, that's just what I think.

More OT, Yahtzee seems to spend too much time talking about the nonessentials than actually commenting on the gameplay. But hell, he's entertainment before a serious reviewer, so who cares?

A Curious Fellow:

Posts were still on topic. They were expressing an opinion about the subject chosen for the video, and the first dude apparently posted while watching. I don't really see an issue there big enough to attract mod attention. Shouldn't they save face and use their power against real offenders like trolls, harassers, and posters of truly offensive content? Otherwise leave us be. Those three weren't hurting anyone or derailing the discussion.

I think "First post" obsession is a a really annoying form of ADD. It reminds me of the greater idiots of the original PP fanbase, you them people that clearly need to be sent to some institute.

Bear in mind normal people aren't interested in the views of somebody that haven't even saw the full episode yet and that if the first posts are pretty braindead the rest of the discussion/thread might suffer from that. (Also everybody needs to read past them)

OT: I don't get it why i see a commercial in which Darth Vader's is getting his hiney kicked. What's up with that? In the era of Darth Vader, Vader was the strongest former Jedi/Sith lord around (aside from the Emperor ofc)
Lucas is really on a quest to rape his own franchise/fanbase.

A Curious Fellow:

Cain_Zeros:

A Curious Fellow:
Look at the first three posts. Nothing offensive at all, not even a "F!RST". And yet, probation. Christ, the mods on this site are oversensitive. Maybe they haven't been getting laid often enough and this is where they take out their frustration? Sounds like a good discussion topic...

It was because they posted before they could have possibly watched the video.

Agreed, but it seems to be the general policy to just put anyone who posts before the video could possibly be watched on probation regardless...

Well I still like star wars..... I mean the three original movies. They are awesome. Phantom menace on the other hand was a boring piece of shit(well the darth Maul battlescene was kinda cool and it had awesome music in it. Darth Maul's role was too small in the movies). Clone wars was kinda entertaining because it had Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson. The thirt one was absolute garbage( I mean an emo kid kills Samuel L. Jackson= WTF????). And the games...KOTOR is one of the best games ever but otherwise they aren't really that good.

Im sad that my brother is one of those idiots who buys the Force Unleashed 2 and Turok and thinks they're the greatest games in existence :(

in the meantime, im going to spend my hard-earned money on good games like Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption

EDIT: He also thinks the prequels are FAR superior to the originals. yeah, i don't know how i'm related to him :/

I am a huge Star Wars nut and watch the clone war series but i do agree with this review...Too fucking short. Come on its Star destroyer he had a great story in the book. It's star destroyer Where the hell is Starfighter and Starhealer If they do make a third one do it right already.

Lucas arts are so lazy with their games. I used to be a big Star Wars fan, but in recent days the only thing I like about Star Wars is the original unaltered versions of the original trilogy. Yes I even like Return of the Jedi because let's just say that it's the best ending to Star Wars we will ever get.

I thought The Force Unleashed was a completely rubbish game, so I knew this wouldn't be good anyway. I played a few other Star Wars games and I am sorry but I don't really like Jedi Knight 2 or Battlefront. I liked Lego Star Wars, but that got old. The only other Star Wars related thing that I would try would be Knights of the Old Republic.

George Lucas needs to let this once great franchise die. Look at Bungie, they recently ended the Halo series after 10 years, wait, yeah Microsoft will properly go George Lucas on that as well.

(Don't get me started on 3D Star Wars)

Great review yahtzee.

lol. I'm surprised he didn't make a joke about how the horse has been beaten into a fine pulp by this time.

HEY! Hey hey hey! Yahtzee, a LOT of people still like Star Wars. But, it doesn't mean that all of us are paying money for garbage games/movies.

I'm glad i picked Dead Rising 2 when i was presented a choice between that game and this rubbish.

I think Yahtzee is being a bit harsh on the franchise, there is some good stuff in the extended universe (such as the books) and there is a wider range of good games than he gave credit for.

As for Force Unleashed II I haven't played much so far but I've enjoyed it, its not anything special but I find running around with overpowered force abilities that help me easily dispatch hordes of much weaker enemies to be very satisfying.

I bet get my AC ready and open the window. I know the wildfires are gonna be heading my way for this one...

I'm gonna risk sounding like a complete jackass that has no idea what Star Wars is really about and say that I actually enjoyed FU2 (damn... that's one hell of a literary stretch now that I think about it). I liked the fact that I could just go absolutely insane with the force in a way that I could only dream of back when I played KotOR almost religiously: telekinesis, Force Storm that's actually worth something, and I always enjoyed the saber throw. With the exception of almost all enemies attacking you like a bunch of flies encased in frozen strawberry jam, I enjoyed the combat quite a bit.

Sure, the story needed some serious work after analyzing it a few times. Instead of having Galen go on an obsessive hunt for Juno, I think it should've been him trying to overthrow the Empire one-handedly. Better yet, not have either story set during the Rise of the Empire, especially since that's one reason (so I've researched) why everyone hates Galen so much. That, and he's canonically the most powerful Jedi yet - c'mon, who else can fucking fly? Awesome as it is, it does seem out of place in the Star Wars mythos, especially during the Rise of the Empire where Vader was second in power only to the Emperor himself (I think).

I could go on about the various discrepancies, but since I'm sure most of you haven't read past "I actually enjoyed FU2" and thus thoroughly believe I'm mentally retarded or was dropped on my head several times as a small child, I'm gonna stop here before I start rambling about other supposed sacrilege such as, say, how I think Galen is a far more dynamic character than most people give him credit.

Right. It's nice and comfortable in my room right now. Better get that AC on "Arctic" if I want it to stay that way after what I said above.

They have dragged the series out long enough time to call it a day and make more Lord of the rings games....

Azaraxzealot:
Im sad that my brother is one of those idiots who buys the Force Unleashed 2 and Turok and thinks they're the greatest games in existence :(

in the meantime, im going to spend my hard-earned money on good games like Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption

EDIT: He also thinks the prequels are FAR superior to the originals. yeah, i don't know how i'm related to him :/

Maybe one of you is adopted... :O

GrizzlerBorno:
I'm glad i picked Dead Rising 2 when i was presented a choice between that game and this rubbish.

Hehe. Yahtzee liked that game, too :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or