Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 19 NEXT

deserteagleeye:
I only saw a lets play of Amnesia through 1/4 of the game and it was pretty scary, but I was kind of disappointed that *SPOILER* the dog that he was running from could be killed so easily. That ruined my image of the rest of the game. Is it really that good?

There's one sequence in the Church Choir area that wins my award for "Most Hostile Atmosphere in a Game... EVER".

Seriously, it gets incredible at the end.

But... easily killed dog? That's Penumbra: Overture, from the makers of Amnesia. In Penumbra: Black Plague and Amnesia, you can't kill anything at all, let alone easily. You've been watching the wrong LP!

"Wah wah wah! Samus was changed! Wah wah wah!"

I just noticed something....The Best and worst game came from the same publishers or developers or whatever i.e. Square Enix.

I am kinda surprised that he didn't but monster hunter tri in is top 5 worst. And I agree with kane and Lynch, but in his metroid review I can it becomes obvious that he did finish the game, so I think it shouldn't be second place.

HAHA well played Yahtzee, well played

personally I would have thought Mass Effect 2 woulda been on there but your mind must've been on sandbox games (i.e. something you'd keep playing and/or actually remember after the entirety of 2010)

my jaw dropped when he said halo reach and then went through the floor and disturbed the downstairs neighbors when he said fable 3, i dont mind those games.

all and all very good (except just cause 2, it was good but not 1st), i did have to wear headphones though due to the background music and my hearing though.

I usually don't watch these award/top 5 things because they're pretty boring but this one was actually pretty entertaining.

Also, return of the Fat Imps are awesome. I'd totally buy them plushies(?) :(

I really thought he was serious when he said Halo:reach

samonix:

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

then you have never been scared by anything in life and have transcended to a level of consciousness free from human emotion.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1945148

This isn't me but it was exactly like watching myself in a terrifyingly accurate sort of parody

Thank you so much. That was a great video. I was laughing my head off.

I hoped he was serious when he said Reach, that was such a bad game IMO, was sad when he went just kidding, had you there :L

Disagree w/ the list but that's per usual. Very appreciative of the Clockwork Orange music however and I applaud that idea.

Strongly disagree about Bioshock 2. While the first game was really inspired and a rare specimen in gaming because of its stellar writing, the sequel was infinitely more emotionally engaging and did not suffer from silly boss fights. Also the bit with the dual world through the eyes of the little sister was the most brilliant moment in the series so far.

As for the top 5, I'd definitely have either God Of War 3 or AC: Brotherhood instead of Just Cause but whatever.

Wow Bioshock 2 was in reality a more then decent game. Just because It wasnt as good as its predecessor doesnt mean it was one of the worst games of 2010. There were far worse titles that one could have much more rationally put in its place. Huge exaggeration and a big cock up on Yahtzee's part there.

I didn't play most of these games :/ Except Just Cause and Other M, and not for very long. It really HAS been a crappy year for gaming. Oh well, roll on 2011 xD

And yeah, the music was kinda distracting :/

I watched this yesterday night (I am going through the flu and collapsed before commenting) and I totally forgot what his 3rd Worst Game of the Year was. When I re-watched and saw it was "The Force Unleashed 2" I chuckled. It's a game so flimsy it even erases itself from the notion of people's minds.

I feel the lack of Mass Effect 2 on his Top 5 Best, but the inclusion of LIMBO and Dead Rising 2 make me forgive that instantly. Great Top 5/Bottom 5.

Count Igor:

samonix:

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

then you have never been scared by anything in life and have transcended to a level of consciousness free from human emotion.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1945148

This isn't me but it was exactly like watching myself in a terrifyingly accurate sort of parody

Thank you so much. That was a great video. I was laughing my head off.

Oh my god that was hilarious xD

Just Cause 2? Seriously?

A game where you do the same thing over and over? Then you go to the black market buy some gear only to find it's pricing structure is fucking nuts and everything you might buy is a waste of time anyway (like ALL the vehicles).

Don't get me wrong, it's by no means a bad game. It's just no way close to goty quality.

The use of background music was nice, but a bit awkward. Several times I had to go back and listen harder because your voice was drowned out by the quiet hum of whatever-those-tunes-were.

Are you still hungover from New Year's, or just feeling a bit down? You sounded a bit sad. Or tired.

Just don't shoot yourself, the last thing we need is 'Games cause suicide!' being splashed across headlines all over the world.

Plus, where would I get my Thursday funnies?

Other than Kane and Lynch 2 and Force Unleashed 2, I have to say his worst choices were by no means the worst. Just perhaps the most popular yet dislikeable.

strangeotron:
Just Cause 2? Seriously?

A game where you do the same thing over and over? Then you go to the black market buy some gear only to find it's pricing structure is fucking nuts and everything you might buy is a waste of time anyway (like ALL the vehicles).

Don't get me wrong, it's by no means a bad game. It's just no way close to goty quality.

Exactly what i thought. He's praising a mediocre sandbox game as ZEE game. Also forgot to include APB in the worst of the worst list. (shortest ran MMO ever)

Vern:
You know, I kind of expected Just Cause 2 to be on the list, but not at number one. Honestly aside from Fallout: New Vegas it's the only game I've really enjoyed this year. After putting almost 30 hours into it after getting it during the Steam holiday sale I almost feel bad about not paying full price. I played the demo when it was released but it didn't really click, I think it just takes a bit to get used to the controls and the limited time frame of the demo didn't facilitate that, but after you start slingshotting across terrain, tying pursuing vehicles to the pavement and watching them catapult off bridges, tying peasants together, and crashing jet fighters into military commanders it becomes very lovable.

After seeing all the things I could do in the demo for Just Cause 2, I actually pre-ordered it; I never pre-order. That game is still a lot of fun and I pop it in whenever I get sick of whatever I'm playing (happening a lot lately). It's just a great game if you want to blow stuff up or fool around and laugh - what I usually want to do when I'm gaming.

Still, I'm surprised to be saying JC2 is my goty too. I really thought it would be New Vegas (the only other game this year I pre-ordered: don't know why I assumed the game would actually be in working condition). Actually it would be New Vegas if it wasn't completely broken and had at least half the immersion of Fallout 3. DC felt like a real place, New Vegas felt like a Hollywood backlot.

Well then, I suppose I had better go ahead and pick up Dead Rising 2 as it is a game Yahtzee actually enjoys and is willing to put down as a "top" of his 2010 games.

The rest of the games on that list I already bought.

It seems Kane and Lynch is showing its crappiness in sales as well. It has already hit bargain bin prices.

Good choices

Agree to all the pile of turd games, except Bioshock2. Mainly because out of all the games on the Good and Bad list, BS2 is pretty much the only one that I felt compelled to complete. While the only real improvement on the original is the simplified hacking, it was still enjoyable.

Ah another unique review there mister Crosshow well done, and happy new year.

Just Cause 2 was amazing for 30 hours and then became mind-meltingly awful; 30 hours through that's like 6 modern warfare 2's

He said that his attention span has been eroded, having to play so many games so fast, so can't be surprising that his top games are just 'dumb fun' to be played in short bursts.

Didn't like BioShock 2, but that's because I'm a disciple of System Shock..

Mr ZP there letting everyone know.... you don't have to be a dick ALL the time... Just half the time.

I'm surprised there was no love for Mass Effect 2, but it's his list and his choices.

Yeah Yahtzee, "hastily made and not neccesary" are totally acceptable criticisms for video gam- OH WAIT SILENT HILL 2

I'm sure there were actually crappier games out there - but the ones on his "worst" list seem to share the same additional elements of 1) major franchise; 2) huge production budget; 3) huge advertising budget; 4) SHOULD have been better; and 5) obvious errors and massive mistakes in judgment on the part of the design team.

Seems like there's an extra level of frustration for games that were handed success on a silver platter and still managed to fuck it up.

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

So you mean I'm too intelligent to let scare by such mundane things like darkness.

For me personally Dead Rising 2 was game of the year...

probably

i do think that someone should tell ol yatz to go and play online multiplayer. in many cases, single player really is only half the game (not a majority of the time, obviously) and some games really were designed with multiple players in mind and refusing to review the entire experience as it was intended, i think, is a bit old fashioned. i know, he probably doesnt care about that in the slightest but it would be nice to see him broaden his horizons a bit.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here