Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Best Popular Songs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

therandombear:
Haha, the scenes in the start and at the end reminded me of your sketches in All That! Could easily been one too though ;)

Wait, what? She was on All That?
*google search*
Holy crap, she was! +Respect, I loved that show as a kid.

On topic, I may have to actually start playing Black Ops single player now, if only to kick ass to the Rolling Stones

Excellent episode, and really have to agree with Borderlands. That intro set the tone for that game perfectly. I personally would've put CCR's "Fortunate Son" from Blops on that list, instead of sympathy for the devil, but both were awesome.

i really liked this one, i'll admit the title annoys me and its incorrect, i don't know what that's about, but I'm glad that the show has gotten so much better so fast, there was still the kiss at the end which seemed a little to girlish for a grown woman to do, but i enjoyed the sketch where you made fun of your persona and i mostly agree with the list, i would have put any one of the fallout games on the list as while their quality is all over the place (fallout 2 is my all time favourite game while fallout tactics and new vegas are some of the most disappointing games i have ever played) the opening has always kicked ass.

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

Wait, Yes did a feature tune for a video game? Why wasn't I told?!

I seriously need to get Homeworld soon.

I'm a big fan of Stones and that Black ops scene with Sympathy for the Devil was awesome. Also Alan Wake has aweosme music in it so I agree with those. I would've liked to see "I don't want to set the world on fire" or "what a wonderful world" from Fallout 3. And there are many other cool examples too but these will do.

Even though I agree on No 1, I really hoped for actual game tunes not licensend music, well that's for next time I guess

Ok Lisa. Good picks all. You actually made me add Black Ops to my list of games to check out, where previously I was fairly ambivalent on it. ( I still think MW1 was better then 2 )

Respectfully, I gotta throw some favorites of my own as well.

1. Brutal Legend - Back at the Funny Farm by Motorhead.

Ok so admittedly, I'm a metal head. This should be documented. I knew I was going to be sucked into Brutal Legend. But when I had Eddie Riggs put together his hot rod, and Ophelia takes her second to think about things before jumping in, the opening chords to BatFF coming on, all I had to do was look at the faces of the three people in the room with me to know this wasn't just awesome to me. The follow up chase was pure badass.

2. Paint it Black - ....Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones

Ok this was a while ago, but am I the only one who remembers the intro to this game on the Playstation2? The schizophrenic, absurdly violent and dark montages set to the Stones was brilliantly done, and was one of many triggers that got me into learning video editing and production.

Hmm. I know I had others, but Brutal Legend totally derailed me. Ah well.

RIGHT! I GOT IT!

3. Pretty much the entire soundtrack of Fallout 3.

Ok I can not be the only one who pretty much giggled with delight while seeing a super mutant's head explode in slow motion all to the sound of 1940's big band music.

Really? I'm the only one?

Shit. This is why I can't have nice people.

borderlands was the first time i heard that song, and i almost died when I first saw the skag get hit by the bus

Onyx Oblivion:
Time to go and play Borderlands again.

Umm? No Crazy Taxi?

I totally agree with this, Crazy Taxi should have been in there, flying over the ramps to this song was just sweet.

On the other hand, all of the songs mentioned were very well used so I'm torn. Good episode L.F.

The only other game I can think of with a decent licensed soundtrack that wasn't mentioned was Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) the soundtrack by Theory of a Deadman was very good.

Oh and Max Payne with their stuff by Poets of the Fall.

(So ok 2 games I could think of) both have fantastic soundtracks though . . . and one of them is even a good game to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oWKCp102ic

i just want to bring this to everyone's attention

Satire about people not liking your show, how cute.

Aww poor Lisa we like your show. JUST NEVER DO ANOTHER FUCKING EPISODE ABOUT SPIDERS.

EVER WOMAN

EVER!

NOT. COOL.

So Have to say that was your best #1 choice so far to date. At first I was thinking "Well she's probably going to pick something from Brutal Legend or that song from Crazy taxi" But then you smack me across the face with "ain't no rest for the wicked" and I had to bow in homage because I literally bought that game because of that song. Borderlands wasn't even on my radar until I saw that commercial and then I screamed OMG I gotta have that!!!!!!!

Not only that I love this song so much that me and an ex girlfriend listened to this song for nearly 11 days straight when we took a road trip from Seattle out to eastern Washington then down to California... It's just a song you can keep listening to.

The only other song that I think could have taken that top spot and I kinda wish I would have seen it on the list was the closing credits song from Mass Effect 1. The song is M4 part 2 by the faunts: By far the most epic and rewarding credit sequence I have ever experienced. Normally I listen for the credits for a minute at the most and then skip to the title screen but in the case of Mass Effect 1, I watched the credits roll to their conclusion and sat shell shocked staring at the screen thinking about the epic story I just completed for another 5 minutes... simply amazing. I also listen to this song pretty much habitually at this point.

Here is the youtube link below for you're viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc&feature=related

And Here is a link to the original Music video for the song... also quite ingenious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gISlB1IdUjI

Rock and Roll Racing. That's what I am oing to say. And the only thing I am going to say. Ok? Ok. Licensed music all over that AWESOME game. Good night.

I agree with the number one slot. I bought borderlands on that alone.... Got bored with the game though..

Without getting into detail, I'm going to admit that there are many, many reasons why I shouldn't like this show, and yet here I am every single week enjoying it simply because it's fun. It's fun to watch and it looks like it was fun to make.

Having said that, shame on you for not mentioning Lisa Miskovsky's "Still Alive" on Mirror's Edge

Or Lacuna Coil's "Swamped" on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Or pretty much every credits song on every Metal Gear Solid game, ever.

It's okay though, this was still an interesting list. I'll be sure to tune in next week.

EDIT: Huh? What other "Still Alive"? I don't know what you're talking about...

Ok, the reason why all of you are posting songs that would make the top five is because Lisa doesn't have a brain trust and those two guys need to get the crap beat outta them for insubordination and disrespect. If you ever need a brain trust outside of The Escapist crews I know two gaming crews who could help if you ask them.

OT: I've heard ain't no rest for the wicked over and over again on the radio so many times I think the only way I'd want to hear it now is by playing Borderlands but that doesn't mean its a bad song which is why it's number one on this list. I would've suggested songs from the Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid(ooh, the commenter above me did. Well done!), and the Halo series but I don't know for sure if all of those songs used in these games are licensed.

Daystar Clarion:
Totally agree with your No.1

I've left the main menu idle numerous times to listen to that song. It fits the game so well.

Exactly. Especially how it is Silent right up until the Skag get nailed by the bus.

Huh. I haven't played Alan Wake, so I didn't know that Poe was in it, but Haunted is a companion piece to best-scary-book-ever House of Leaves, by her brother Mark Z. Danielewski, so I guess it was always made for a horror context in a way. I remember being told that the game actually references HoL, so this probably wasn't an accident.

Good list :D

1) Lisa looked great in the little intro skit.

2) Well... decently good pics. Being totally enthralled in GT5, I have to say there's a TON of good liscensed music in this new iteration.

Anyway keep it up Lisa.

Borderlands really landed a jaw-dropping intro with that combo, and it couldn't set the mood more perfectly.

Stubbs would have been first, but he was just a little slower than the others. Still, LOVE STUBBS!

I've seen every episode. I find the lists interesting and agree with almost everything Lisa says. But I am sorry to say I do not like the presentation. Nothing personal, but I'm annoyed by it.

Liked the intro and extro.

[zonking great]:
Rock and Roll Racing. That's what I am oing to say. And the only thing I am going to say. Ok? Ok. Licensed music all over that AWESOME game. Good night.

LET THE CARNAGE BEGIIIIN!!!!

Whoaaaa! Ouch!!

Grinder's in the lead!!

*YAY! another RnR fan!

And yeah that game had the best music ever for it's time. Paranoid, Born to be Wild... well that's all I remember off the top of my head.

Sometimes I think people want the list to be 15 things long so all their picks can be mentioned. Haha

Good list, Loved Borderlands, loved the song, loved that it got number one. Well deserved.

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

Good lord.

That was the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard.

I'm kidding, awesome song. :D

I don't like Cage The Elephant at all but that song works so perfectly with the game, good choice. Still. Not enough fuckin' HEAVY METAL \m/

Totally agree with No.1 though I would also include Prince of Persia 2's "I stand alone" by Godsmack.

I loved Haunted! I didn't know who Poe was when I was playing through Alan Wake but of all the ending episode songs, that one really stuck with me. Made me very glad I picked up the special edition that had the sound tack.

I have to agree with your number one. I wasn't expecting to, but that intro was solid and fun to watch, even if I don't really like the game play of Borderlands.

Also your friends are not very nice and should feel ashamed of themselves. I'm going to go feel bad now for completely, totally, and practically unrelated issues now...

I didn't know that song on Alan Wake was by Poe - I'll definitely have to check them out. Anyway, i'm enjoying the videos so far :)

I was definitely a little surprised that your games were so limited to everything that came out in the last three or four years. It's about the only thing I do not like about the top five lists so far, but that's opinion, and everyone's allowed to have one.

However, as far as licensed music goes, I wish a mention for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater would have been brought up. Yes, I am aware Snake Eater is an original song, but "Way to Fall" by Starsailor is not. That music definitely made the ending of MGS3 much more moving to go with the ending which still remains (in my opinion), one of the most moving catalysts to start an entire game series (Granted, it was made in the Star Wars School of intro stories by being the third, but it's still cool).

I almost have to ask, because Wiki is not a reliable source, but Poets of the Fall's "Late Goodbye" would have been a great nod. EDIT: Apparently, Poets of the Fall wouldn't count because they didn't release their first album until after Max Payne II.

I'm a little surprised that GTA didn't get a mention at all. For my money, GTA: Vice City has one of my favorite soundtracks. Try driving during the middle of an intense mission with Talk Talk's "Life's what you make it" blaring in the background, it's pretty intense. Better yet, put in on an MP3 player and walk down the street with it on, same feeling, and when it was used in a pivotal scene in "Vice City", that was the stake driven into the game to let us know it's time to get started.

Altogether, this was still a good list. I'm afraid I'm behind the curve because I don't own a modern game system yet, but all together, the music sounds fantastic and it's giving me ideas for games to play.

Lordmarkus:

Zer_:

Enjoy.

Wait, Yes did a feature tune for a video game? Why wasn't I told?!

I seriously need to get Homeworld soon.

That is true for so many reasons. Best RTS ever made in my book. Easily. Go to eBay and get the original boxed copy, too. The manual has this great sci-fi novella explaining the backstory and... yeah, let's just say Dawn of War, good as it is, continues to disappoint me by not being Homeworld.

Anyway, on to the show.

Are you happy now?

She toned it down, she wore a geek uniform, she was self deprecating and she (again) proved nerd cred with a pretty solid and well researched list. And I was mildly disappointed to see that humourless nerdrage has won the day, even if I do thoroughly enjoy the resulting product as well. I still support the geeky girly girl, both in and out of character, though, so I'm just letting my voice be heard on that.

Oh, and "Can I have some of your ice cream? -No." Yeah, I admit it. I laughed.

EDIT: And Battlestar Galactica totally rips off Homeworld, I don't care what anybody says, nobody just comes up with space battles with muted gun shots set to ethnic-sounding music with a heavy drum beat twice by accident.

The best part is, I bought Borderlands only after hearing that song. That one song made me dish out £20 for that game, and I've never regretted it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here