Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

DanHibiki:

viciouspen:
lol
for someone that claims to "hate" WOW sooo much he still sounds very invested in the game.
Doesn't seem like someone would expend the effort to take a slap at the opposing faction in WoW if they weren't still a bit overly invested in it all. ;P

Case of "doth protest too much"? You be the judge.

P.s. also, is it just me of is the show more and more seeming like he's not reviewing as much as he used to, more like..trying hard to play a consistent role someone told him he was expected to play to make money.
When the show first started he wasn't always over the top "I hate everything", more evenhanded and straight forward. Now it feels more like I'm watching a cartoon, although I can't decide if it's South Park or Family guy.

who said he hates it? He said he likes it himself, what he hates is the fact that it takes up 99% of his time.

and that kind of proves the second thing I said.
It's a little hard to tell the difference between what he hates and what he's even okay with because everything he says is starting to just blur together.
He's complained about how insipid WoW is and how it's beneath him enough that him "liking" it (I put liking in quatation marks because we'd first have to identify what semblance of the liking emotion he actually experiences) would surprise me.
Although, it might make some kind of troll logic I suppose. I've seen crazier things in MMOs.

maybe he was that goblin I pasted the other night.

For the Alliance.

he completely missed the point of warcraft - its only 50% numbers. He didn't talk at ALL about colors!

Where in australia without going online can i get a copy of mogworld? I don't like buying things online and the only reason i have not bought a copy yet is that the only two book stores around here don't have it.

Fangobra:
Still not going to play it, Yahtzee, since you didn't address my gripe with Wow: I'm against it on moral principle.

Wow (and all pay-to-play disc based rpgs) are elaborate cons. Charging people for the use of their own property is STEALING.

he says, while right at that moment, thousands of people are paying to fill up their petrol tanks.

theshadowcult:
Where in australia without going online can i get a copy of mogworld? I don't like buying things online and the only reason i have not bought a copy yet is that the only two book stores around here don't have it.

It's not available in Australia, unfortunately. The prat lives here, but only sells his book in the US and Europe. :(

Pure awesomeness and also re-enforces my desire to never play WoW. But Mogworld is totally awesome btw!

haha, yeah, a lot of games are about numbers, numbers numbers *sigh*

I don't get it what is the difference between 60 hours on WoW and 60 hours on The Witcher or Mass effect 2 or DA:O. Can someone please explain this reasoning? Is it because you are also on the dollar? You know, you feel like a working man...

LMAO Yahtzee has to meet my friend to pretty much messed up three months of his life trying to get 100% completion on all three Metroid Prime games

Bobbity:

theshadowcult:

It's not available in Australia, unfortunately. The prat lives here, but only sells his book in the US and Europe. :(

LOL that's just how elite he is, would we love him if he was any less? I think not!

... Does suck though.

I hate that people use the old "What's the point? You get better items to do better quests to get better items?"

Yes? What's the point of any game?

"Oh, you just move forward jump, move forward, jump, move forward, jump, then save the princess."

"You walk around shooting to get better prestige, and better guns, so that you can walk around shooting better."

"You build a small city, wait a while, build a bigger city, wait a while, and continue your megacity."

"You live life in a video game."

The point is, through it all your having fun. You enjoy the achievement of upgrading your character, just like you do saving a princess, shooting enemy soldiers, building cities, and living LIFE.

I can understand that a lot of people don't like the game, but that doesn't mean you have to degrade the people who are enjoying it.

Yep. new it was to good ta be true. As soon as i saw that you made that book i thought about what was going on in youre head and thought he'll just wait till WoW Cataclysm so that while he could review it he could also advertise his book. *sigh* just like gamestop.

Good video. And was that you using the Halo Rocket Launcher? Nice.

How did you end up in a guild?

Dear Yahtzee,

I fucking hate you. I have been playing wow for 6 fucking years now and you completely ruin World of Warcraft for me. I suppose I should be thankful. However now I have no idea how to spend the suddenly achieved 8 hours of free time every day and 24 hours on weekends. Suppose I could go play so more decent games.

Ignoring my previous statement I fan boyishly love your show. Somehow I don't go into a nerd rage when you take the shit out of Mass effect which would be one of my own favorites.

With kind regard your number 1067 fan from Europe.

you say the game is all about about having the best numbers (as if you actually know what the game is about), yet you completely fail to mention pvp. that's some sorry ass journalism. i'll remove 90% of my numbers for a duel if you want. i'll still fuck you up.

also, noone who raids ACTUALLY raids for gear. it's about the challenge of working together to clear bosses. gear is a necessary side effect. it's a good feeling when you finally destroy a boss you've been stuck on forever. god, learn to play. terrible gamers shouldn't be allowed to review games. i imagine you playing this and fumbling around like a complete dumb ass.

I use the speech about numbers all the time

Cataclysm made early leveling fun, but I do understand a lot of what Yahtzee is saying about WoW. However, I play it, and it is kinda fun in it's own right. Though it's about rewards and goal setting mainly I think.

I don't understand the "but every game is a grind so it doesn't matter" argument. Even if it is true, MMORPG is the only genre to make the grind the driving force for continuous play. Other genres use things like intricate stories and hard challenges to entice players. For example, whenever I'm playing an arcade shooter, I never think about how many more robots I have to shoot down before I reach the next level; I think about how I am going to dodge volleys of missiles and counterattack.

Also, what is a grind? People have their own definitions for this and that's where arguments start. My definitions are "preparing to play the game before I can actually play it" and "winning does not mean advancement." MMORPGs fit these definitions perfectly. However, applying these definitions to other games doesn't work. In Super Mario Brothers, I don't have to play a mushroom farming and eating simulator between every level so Mario can get his energy back for more jumping. In Mega Man, I don't have to roll a dice every time I beat a boss and hope it lands on an even number or else I won't get the boss' weapon and have to do the level over again.

I just had a lot of fun re-watching this episode with the sound turned off. I only got about half of what the visual metaphors meant, and that was from prior experience. Anyone else like watching Zero Punctuation with no sound?

Just re-watched this one.

Ben has a point when it comes to being congratulated for mundane "achievements".

Every time I get an "achievement" for something by accident, something so easy a child could literally do it themselves (complete 50 quests, etc), I get "gratz" thrown at me by various guild members. And every time that happens, I call them out on it. If I got "gratz" thrown at me for reaching levels 60, 70, 80 and 85, I'd be okay with it because they're all respectively milestones. Hell, congratulate me for hitting level 40 if you want. But I don't expect to get "gratz" for reaching level 10.

I got the "achievement" for getting my first hair cut and a guild member congratulated me for it. I told him, "but it's not an achievement :P". He replied with, "but it is! you got a new dooooo :D".

An equally amusing conversation happened with another guild member. After I got yet another "achievement", he proceeded to congratulate me. Twice. Within literally one second. (thank you time-stamps!)
Me: "... you have it macroed?"
Him: "Had it macro'd since Burning Crusade :P"

Of course, he proceeded to excitedly spam said macro after I accidentally leveled the guild up to 15 by handing in the quest Shutting Down Manaforge Duro. Now THAT is what I'd call an actual achievement.

But still, the fact that he put "Congratulations!" on a macro just makes it even more pointless and redundant.

Maybe it's just me but I think Guild Wars would have better suited Yahtzee mostly because it's a lot less about leveling up and getting the newest and best weapons (NUMBERS) and more about beating the crap out of other peoples guilds through skill and planning.

I realy dont see why people like this stuf...
I hawe sean how the characters in WoW is like and i hawe sean WHAY better locking characters in a game u can get for free and wich u can play 10 f**ing years and only money you have spent is your internet conection bils (on a side not your character can get married to another character of the oposite sex).

I like World of Warcraft, but I just don't see how people become so obsessed with it. I play it off and on because honestly, it's far to dry for me to have a twelve-hour marathon with. I can think of so many other games that I've found more addictive.

I never realized that Yahtzee liked Skynyrd

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or