GDC 2011: Homefront Balloon Release Remix

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Homefront Balloon Release Remix

THQ releases a swarm of balloons into the San Francisco Bay. Sea lions and sea birds watch out!

Watch Video

Wait...what did I just watch?
Isn't the point of a "remix" to make something that doesn't have a tune or a beat naturally have a tune or a beat when you remix it?
Seriously this felt like something someone brand new to video editing cut together in 5 minutes.
Definitely getting my vote for the worst thing ever uploaded to the escapist.

This is seriously the best thing I have ever seen on the escapist. Seriously, you should drop all your other uploads and make nothing but these.

Incredible, absolutely incredible.

san-fran Crisco cry babes

Rednog:
Isn't the point of a "remix" to make something that doesn't have a tune or a beat naturally have a tune or a beat when you remix it?
Seriously this felt like something someone brand new to video editing cut together in 5 minutes.

I am a random guy on the internet and this is my favorite post on the escapist.

Seriously, the fuck!

Bobic:
This is seriously the best thing I have ever seen on the escapist. Seriously, you should drop all your other uploads and make nothing but these.

Rednog:

I don't know what is weirder, the fact you two have opinions on the opposite ends of the spectrum, or that they were one after the other.

OT:
um.. that was definitely something. I'm not sure how good of a something it was, but something. Reminded me of that music trend followed by beatniks where you "just don't get it"

whaleswiththumbs:

Bobic:

Rednog:

I don't know what is weirder, the fact you two have opinions on the opposite ends of the spectrum, or that they were one after the other.

OT:
um.. that was definitely something. I'm not sure how good of a something it was, but something. Reminded me of that music trend followed by beatniks where you "just don't get it"

It becomes less weird when you realise one of us was being sarcastic. I happen to know for a fact that Rednog loved every second of it.

Dudes, lets get angry about balloons in the OCEAN!!!

...did anyone else get the '99 red balloons' idea?

(Google it. its a song nena)

Awsome. Then the animals have a smaller window of time to choak on the balloons.

CAN SOMEONE THINK OF THE BIRDS, THOSE POOR BIRDS!!!!

Darth Mad:
CAN SOMEONE THINK OF THE BIRDS, THOSE POOR BIRDS!!!!

Sea birds.

The laughing stock of the aviary world.

nope(wrong thread)

Actually seeing how many balloons these morons released... made me feel kind of sick. You know, banana peels are biodegradable too, doesn't mean I should dump thousands of on them at once in the same spot.

If it was just 99 balloons, I'd be all "Heh, that's a sweet gimmick", instead I'm more along the lines of "These guys have no clue what they're doing, do they?"

Couldn't they have just made a TV commercial? Or some stupid viral youtube advertising? I don't even get the balloons, is it symbolic of something? Is that how North Korea started the war in Homefront, they dropped thousands of balloons in San Francisco harbor?

Enkidu88:
Couldn't they have just made a TV commercial? Or some stupid viral youtube advertising? I don't even get the balloons, is it symbolic of something? Is that how North Korea started the war in Homefront, they dropped thousands of balloons in San Francisco harbor?

That would be EPIC

Bobic:

whaleswiththumbs:

Bobic:

Rednog:

OT:

It becomes less weird when you realise one of us was being sarcastic. I happen to know for a fact that Rednog loved every second of it.

I lol'd!

Kinda forgot that latex is a natural product (from trees) and has always been biodegradable, and they take about six months to degrade. However, that proccess is prevented when the latex is under water.

Gosh, hope there aren't any large bodies of water near by.

I got my info here. Also, they don't recomend more than 10 at a time. Wacka wacka.

What I want to know is, how did this video get on the front page?! Is it, like, Bring Your Niece to Work Day and someone is obliging their relative by posting their silly remix here? It's not even a remix really. Those .jpegs are cut quite awkwardly and with no context within the video itself.

Worst thing on Escapist? No, but certainly most baffling thing on the Escapist.

I am stumped. April isn't for a few weeks... How is this anything? I think it's just helping out natural selection. Anything stupid enough to eat a red (being a universal sign of danger) blob deserves to have it's stupid genes taken out of the gene pool. Also, balloons float in the air, and judging from the video, the wind would take them out of the range of at least some sea life. Also, does anyone know which direction the wind was even blowing that day, because if it was blowing inland, then I guess that takes seals out of the supposed danger zone. Also, seriously, fuck seagulls. There are actually people that get paid to scare their huge flocks away from dumps with bottle rockets and kites.

Bobic:

whaleswiththumbs:

Bobic:

Rednog:

OT:

XDXDXD

Bleh, now that's over. Yeah those balloons can probably still hurt stuff, they're just a bit less harmful than non-biodegradable ones. However I will admit that the balloons did look cool.

Also at all tha hatuz, te remix was timed to like fully emphasise tha man's words. This emphazes combined with te visual cues of teh animals implies that creatures will be harmed because of this act. Seriously though the remix's purpose IMO wasn't to sound like an actual song but to draw attention to the author's message in a way that's a bit less usual than just some guy writing "THE BIRDS WILL DIE AAAAAAH"

But-- What?

.. what did I just watch and why?. There was no comment on the upload or anything.

I am stumped.

I don't get it. I guess you have to watch the local news to understand a) the balloons and b) the neccessity for this video. Too bad I'm 5500 miles away.

I'm a bit confused. Were the balloons going to turn into sealion-seeking missiles? Or were they just super delicious?

I'll be over there. You know, RETAINING MY SANITY. I feel like I'm on crazy pills!

Seriously, Escapist? Why did you let some eight year old into your uploading database?

That was horrible. Not to mention THQ's publicity stunt!

Please, Escapist, don't push THQ's marketing further.

What the... I don't even...

Daaaah Whoosh:
I'm a bit confused. Were the balloons going to turn into sealion-seeking missiles? Or were they just super delicious?

cairocat:

Seriously, Escapist? Why did you let some eight year old into your uploading database?

raxiv:
Please, Escapist, don't push THQ's marketing further.

Azure-Supernova:
What the... I don't even...

Let the record show that I agree with these men.

But it said bio-degradable.

I know what that mena,s and what people are so upset about it, but I'm pretty sure that these guys knew what they were doing or put some forethought forward, otherwise the company has to be the dumbest and most oblivious I've ever seen.

So is that why the birds got angry?

Not really a remix, is it? It's more just random phrases from a speech with music in the background.

Edit:

smartengine:
So is that why the birds got angry?

Holy shit, this must be what caused the Birdemic! (Google it.)

Ninety-nine red balloons
Floating in the summer sky
Panic lads, it's a red alert
There's something here from somewhere else

The war machine springs to life
Opens up one eager eye
Focusing it on the sky
Ninety-nine red balloons go by

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook