The Big Picture: Off the Charts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Incoming Bioware fanboy rage!!!!!
But umm bBob the west dominates in the story telling department,Assassins creed,Red Dead Redemption,Everything Bioware has ever done hell even some of Bethesda's works and Bioshock.You can't find a single eastern developed game that can hold a candle to those games in terms of story and me actually giving a fuck about them.
Just shows once again everything that deals with film I agree with Bob but everything gaming related it's completely polar opposite.

HankMan:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
So Baz Luhrmann is making a movie based on The Great Gatsby

thats bad how?

It's in 3D
That's never a good sign

Also, Baz Luhrmann. God, I hate that guy. The only one of his movies I saw was his horrendous take on Romeo and Juliet, and that was enough to make me want him to never make another movie.

I thought it was agreed that Scott Pilgrim was the first great video game movie? It's not based on an actual video game franchise, but it took many of the mechanics and structures that are traditional to video games and effectively converted them to serve the film's narrative.

And I do like Bioware, but they're really the only western developer that consistently produces games I seek out specifically to experience an engaging story, so I guess I agree with that "for a western developer" statement.

edit: OK, I don't actually think there's a consensus on Scott Pilgrim, I just wanted a good lead in.

One reason video-game movies are generally not liked by the fans of the games is that the film-makers feel the need to do something different from the original material.

I think the idea that adapting the original story would be boring because it's already available in similar enough format is there.

So we get movies like Resident Evil or Silent Hill that have nothing to do with the source material, really.

You almost lost me when you called Killzone "shlock" especially when you have not played any of the four games (unless you have a PSP).

And you officially lost me when you said that Transformers suck because they were made by Michael Bay.

Im still iffy about the movie. Never played either game, but ive seen the playthroughs on youtube for both, so I have an idea where they are going. I still think the plot of the movie has nothing to do with either games, despite your opinion on the games story, and will be the most antagonistic part of the whole.

But since the guy made the movie Three Kings, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

"For a western developer"...
BioShock, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Assassin's Creed, mother. fucking. HALF-LIFE!
I could go on, but really, what's the point? I knew this would fall on deaf ears when I saw the characters on the "potentially good movies" slide (Hint: 2 Nintendo franchises, 1 Konami, and I didn't recognize the other).

This is the second week in a row you've baited the crowd. Your flame-shield must be made of something not of this world.

So Bob completly ignores the 800+ comments proving him being a troll who doesn't do even the basic research before posting videos? Lovely.

How could you call someone who's academy award nominated a great film maker based on that? I recall you saying that all nominations and winners are rigged.

"For a western developed?"... You just insist on trolling don't you?
Yes, Uncharted doesn't have a mind blowing story but what's the point of laughing at ALL western developed games?

This show went from a fun weekly time laughing at comics to trolling so he can has moar comentz.

I don't get this "Nate Drake is a douchebag" thing that Bob is talking about. Witty, snappy dialogue suddenly turned him into some evil creature? Seeing some of Bob's reviews this just seems hypocritical and somewhat out of character. I also don't get why this story, one with a beginning, a middle, and an end, is suddenly so bad. Neither seem to make sense here, Bob.

To be fair, why is Nathan Fillion our only choice for Nate Drake again? Is our Firefly darling needing our love for a similar role?

At least games are starting to attract bigger directors and actors than previous.

Yes there's no Nathan Fillion, yes Mark Wahlberg was terrible in the Max Payne movie...
Yes I don't understand why Joe Pechie and Robert Di Nero are in the movie to give it a mafia twist...
Yes I know the subject matter is about as close to the game as the Super Mario Movie was...
Yes the movie will be a huge let down to the fans...

The only game based movie I'm worried about is the inevitable soul destroying Bioshock Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230526/

darthotaku:
I've seen alot of people bashing Moviebob about his "For a western developer" line, and I think it's funny that they bring up the same five games. Probably because those few games are the exception. Most games that I play for a good story aren't western made games because western games put more emphasisi on making a profit rather than making a touching story and gameplay.

Right, beacuse spiky-haired adolescents moping around for hours on end is totally good storytelling.

Sorry, pal, but even though Western games with good storylines are in the minority, there ain't much better in the other hemisphere.

Um, isn't the Uncharted series played out like a movie to begin with? Like, isn't that part of the entire point that it is a National Treasure knock off in game form? I haven't played much more than the demo, not my cup of tea, but from what others have told me you could strip out the interactivity and not much would change.

Don't know, just drawing an opinion from a demo and my friends.

Wait, someone is making Uncharted into a movie...
Didn't the game studio already do that?

Thing is most mainstream games are so much like movies these days that watching a movie about a mainstream game is the equivalent of watching someone else play that very game for 2 hours.

o snap throwing cliffy-b's face on indiana jones as a douchebag, that is some burn XD

Be nice if the character's background was similar. Not something completely different is all. Nothing like slapping a videogame name on something that has little relevance to the games. i.e. Resident Evil.

love it or hate it, at the least the Jolie Croft movies kept Lara a british aristocrat with a thing for guns and bury treasure.

Prince of Persia was a good videogame adaptation :P persians with brit accents lolz

omegawyrm:

OK, I don't actually think there's a consensus on Scott Pilgrim, I just wanted a good lead in.

Well, it's as close to consensus as you're gonna get. I mean, if you didn't like that movie, you should really just stop watching movies.

Dr Snakeman:

Zhukov:
I'm not even gonna touch that. Because if I did it would just consist of me yelling, "Bioshock!" over and over.

And me screaming "Mass Effect! whenever you pause to take a breath.

Funny thing is, Bioshock and Mass Effect are both games he's praised in the past.

He's said they should make a Mass Effect movie. And if memory serves he once declared, quote, "...and I fucking loved Bioshock!"

So yeah. I dunno. Maybe he's just trolling for traffic. Given the previous topic, that wouldn't surprise me.

darthotaku:
I've seen alot of people bashing Moviebob about his "For a western developer" line, and I think it's funny that they bring up the same five games. Probably because those few games are the exception. Most games that I play for a good story aren't western made games because western games put more emphasis on making a profit rather than making a touching story and gameplay.

*inhales*

System Shock 2, Bioshock, Half-Life 2, Portal, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango, Planescape: Torment, God Of War, Dues Ex, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem,and many, many more.

Also, you're talking about a "touching story and gameplay" when you have Squall as your avatar?

Yeesh.

Both western and eastern developers have equally good and shitty writers, no other is better than the other. I'm really getting tired of this pointless argument.

We have Portal and Bioshock, while the east has Silent Hill 2 and Okami. Do we really need to have a contest of who's better?

Mario had his movie chance... why is he in the center of that "Never had a chance" picture?

In my opinion a good game movie needs to be part of the series rather than an attempt to recreate a particular game. It also needs to be a good movie in it's own right, most game movies are crap whether or not they're butchering another IP.

I think Escape From Butcher Bay is an example in the other direction. The game itself is good, the changes in pacing are well handled, the stealth segments are great, and the cut scenes managed to be over the top without falling flat. It's not a perfect game but I still found it to be a lot of fun. It also fits in to the series nicely, even better than the second movie I'd say given all of the fruity changes and inclusions it had.

There are some Star Wars games in the same boat - they're good because they gameplay itself is fun and they do justice to the series without trying to turn themselves into A New Hope: The Game. There are probably two dozen Star Wars games that feature the Battle of Hoth but most don't make you recreate it as Luke Skywalker. Good games let you control your character, recreating a movie takes this away.

I'm not surprised that the gaming industry figured out how to do a good movie game before the movie industry figured out how to do a good game movie. Hopefully in the near future someone will purpose a movie that ties together the events of two games, or better yet explores the setting and series without trying to manhandle the main characters of the games themselves. Most Star Wars games don't have you control the main characters, they give you new ones. A good game movie might have the important characters on screen but the movie's actually protagonist will be someone else.

I was going to go on a big assed rant about why you are wrong about the story of the game and more, but then I'd just be feeding a man who's opinion is already not valued anywhere on the internet.

In what universe is Metal Gear Solid a good or even an interesting story? It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I've seen Manos.

darthotaku:
I've seen alot of people bashing Moviebob about his "For a western developer" line, and I think it's funny that they bring up the same five games. Probably because those few games are the exception. Most games that I play for a good story aren't western made games because western games put more emphasisi on making a profit rather than making a touching story and gameplay.

Yeah, no.

There is no East/West divide when it comes to the quality of storytelling. Eastern games tend to prefer a different narrative style, but that's pretty much it.

And really, I can't remember playing that many Japanese games with great stories in recent years outside of Atlus's games. I know I have a Tales of Vesperia avatar, but while that game has a good story, it's nowhere near the masterful writing of Persona 4 or Planescape: Torment.

You should consider the possibility that opinions may differ on what constitutes a good story.

Mooshman:
At least games are starting to attract bigger directors and actors than previous.

Yes there's no Nathan Fillion, yes Mark Wahlberg was terrible in the Max Payne movie...
Yes I don't understand why Joe Pechie and Robert Di Nero are in the movie to give it a mafia twist...
Yes I know the subject matter is about as close to the game as the Super Mario Movie was...

The only game based movie I'm worried about is the inevitable soul destroying Bioshock Movie.

I'm really uncertain when it comes to Mark Wahlberg. On one hand, The Happening. On the other hand, The Fighter. On one hand, Max Payne. On the other hand, The Departed.

I wish he would pick a level of talent and stick to it.

Dr Snakeman:

omegawyrm:

OK, I don't actually think there's a consensus on Scott Pilgrim, I just wanted a good lead in.

Well, it's as close to consensus as you're gonna get. I mean, if you didn't like that movie, you should really just stop watching movies.

*raises hand* Present!

That movie didn't really rock my socks off in any way. Damn good editing though.

My only problem with the Uncharted thing is that Hollywood feels they need some recognizable name to staple onto every movie. I wouldn't have said no to a modern Indiana Jones movie, and I probably wouldn't say no to Russel's idea either. It's just the circumstances that annoy me.

I noticed that you specifically said 'western developed' games have horrible stories. Are you suggesting there's a larger percentage of japanese games that don't have terrible stories? Let's not confuse pure text mass with quality, or overblown stereotypes with emotional depth.

Unless that's not at all what you meant, in which case, never mind. :)

jonyboy13:
So Bob completly ignores the 800+ comments proving him being a troll who doesn't do even the basic research before posting videos? Lovely.

How could you call someone who's academy award nominated a great film maker based on that? I recall you saying that all nominations and winners are rigged.

"For a western developed?"... You just insist on trolling don't you?
Yes, Uncharted doesn't have a mind blowing story but what's the point of laughing at ALL western developed games?

This show went from a fun weekly time laughing at comics to trolling so he can has moar comentz.

its probably based on him having watched them. Now say what you will about huckabees, but both the fighter and three kings are brilliant movies. And huckabees is only ever called bad due to its spaced out subject matter (which i can understand as putting people off).

And stop being defensive , the western worlds gaming companies have only recently started telling good stories, (And even then only good by gaming standards). Cut him a little slack, he's a film reviewer he won't have played every game under the sun.

The Uncharted games are fun and all that, but their writing is not good by anyone's standards let alone the standards of "Western" video games.

MovieBob:
Off the Charts

It's movie fans versus gaming fans in the battle over the Uncharted movie.

Watch Video

I think the biggest problem with "game movies" failing to please "game fans" comes down to something that cannot be rationalized in the way that we keep trying. It comes down to emotional involvement in the material.

In a story, we relate emotionally to the characters (ideally). We love them, we hate them, we go back and forth, maybe we feel a little of both. But our emotions are tied to them. This relationship can transfer to film quite easily in the hands of a capable team.

In a game with a good story, half of our emotions are tied up in the characters, but we have another half of ourselves wrapped around the tension-release cycle of the gameplay experience. Yes, part of you cares whether or not Mario rescues the princess, but part of you is also emotionally invested in whether or not you can make that next jump. That dance of frustration and victory leaves an indellible impression on you, emotionally speaking.

A movie removes your control from the experience, making you a spectator. But the title, the characters, they all bring up the expectations you've built surrounding the game. All of them. And the movie is only capable of satisfying half of those expectations. It can't quite deliver the same personal attachment to the success or failure of the character's actions. You aren't the character anymore, and that leaves those emotions unfulfilled. If you're not aware of that, it can make the experience seem hollow, even if it's doing the job quite well.

Now, in the case of something like Doom, there was really no attachment to the character to begin with. So there wasn't anything for the movie to work with, even in the most not-Uwe-Boll hands. It was, for lack of a less punny term, doomed from the start.

Uncharted could work, but only if they can make the Drake character more engaging, as well as the supporting characters. It's a matter of the company realizing their limits, and the audience recognizing their emotional biases.

"Before complaining that Drake's hair isn't on the right side"

Oh come on Bob, if you've watched a playthrough of Uncharted or even the cutscenes you know that the plots of the games and this film differ greatly and that these complaints aren't about aesthetics.

Although as a hitman fan I did complain that the film 47 didn't look old enough. In my defense I think the fact that game 47 is a jaded middle aged man adds something to his character.

bahumat42:

And stop being defensive , the western worlds gaming companies have only recently started telling good stories, (And even then only good by gaming standards). Cut him a little slack, he's a film reviewer he won't have played every game under the sun.

15 years is recently?
It's not even about that. It's the fact that he includes ALL of them without even playing most of the good ones with stories.
Again, it's just for the sake of trolling.

I've played through both games, and they've swiftly become my number one favorites (especially uncharted 2) in terms of sheer entertainment.

Sure, I wouldn't want a movie to be a replay of the game (though, now that I think about it - it would be fantastically awesome, though please not Wahlberg) - since the game plays like a movie, but I certainly want to see the essence of characters preserved.

Plots can be changed, modified, warped - but, please, save some part of Nathan Drake to be just Drake. D:

Here goes my critical hat - eek - I have my doubts that this sense can be perceived... when you haven't /played/ the games. :( Maybe that just makes you all the more objective about the whole ordeal. But, things still don't seem terribly promising.

Oh and bash Uncharted's story all you want, I was too busy being distracted by how well put together the cutscenes, and the pacing were (at least in the second one).

What are we talking about? You cannot sum up Uncharted in a spiffy one liner?

Here are a few I came up with in a few minutes:

Indiana Jones meets the DaVinci Code

It's like National Treasure, but English.

pretty good video with lots of points but the whole "western games" part was stupid and only showed how out of the loop bob is when it come to games not from japan, as writing and story has been done very well in western games and i have seen more western games with good writting than japans ones.

Mooshman:

Then you can be relieved that the Bioshock movie was cancelled a while back.

They couldn't secure an R rating for it, so the director called it quits.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here