Zero Punctuation: Pokemon White

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Huh, first he's complaining his balanced team was near untouchable, then he complains about losing to everyone on his way. I'm not an expert or something, but losing against a random trainer is as hard as running out of money in Pokemon IMO.

Also, somebody should've told him the (vast?) majority of players don't aim to actually catch all Pokémon, they just run through the campaign.

And in fact, how could he know Pokémon hasn't changed an inched when this is the first Pokémon game he's playing? Does he rely on his blurry childhood memories or second-hand-reviews? Especially since Black/White is arguably the first installment with a real storyline, or at least it's a bit more advanced than usual, YMMV.

Manji187:

Onyx Oblivion:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

The bane of Yahtzee's existence.

Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really. It's all about competitive play, with the advent of wi-fi in D/P/P.

Heh...someone looks insulted.

What's the matter? Is Pokemon one of your favorite franchises? You have to admit that it's not for everyone. Same with a lot of other games/ activities.

Oh, I understand. I just hate the misinformation that Yahtzee can spread. Like how it hasn't changed in 15 years. Just because it's still turn based. The underlying mechanics have gone through quite a few changes.

He's the FOX News of game reviews.

Wow. You're the last person I'd expect to review a Pokemon game. 0_o

Anyway, nice video. Twas very funny. I wonder which starter you chose though...

Loop Stricken:

Onyx Oblivion:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

Yeah but she had TWO of the little bastards! And they switched out every time they used whateverthefuck move it is she has.

And she had a stockpile of Hyper Potions, so whenever you finally got close to knocking one of the little shits out between all the switching, she just flips you off big time! I know all gym leaders do that, but this time it was especially annoying. I even went out and got a rock type and it was still the most obnoxoius gym battle in the entire history of the franchise. Anyway, I'm glad somebody blasted that gym and all the idiots in and near it that told you "go get ground types!"

Also, anyone miss when you could just walk into a gym, fight a few trainers, and then find the gym leader without riding a bunch of stupid roller coasters, elevators, and other nonsense they've been putting in gyms lately? You know who had good gyms? Everyone in first gen except for Sabrina and Giovanni.

Anyway, that's enough ranting about how lame the gyms have become lately. I have to go climb a tower -_-. Yes, I had stopped playing last time right after that gym leader said I should follow her up the tower. I figured she was just wasting my time, nice to know that she is so I can be prepared for extreme stupidity when I reach the top. Reminds me of another thing, remember when gym leaders just stayed in their gym and waited for you instead of blackmailing you into doing whatever it is they want before they let you challenge them? Oi.

(Don't get me wrong, overall I'm enjoying the game, but so far I don't think there's been a gym leader who didn't make me want to punch them in the face due to their blackmail and gimmicky gyms.)

Onyx Oblivion:
Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really.

Bull puckey. I did it last generation. I'll do it again.

Heh, interestingly it's the exact opposite for me than for Yahtzee.
I didn't care for the anime at all but rather liked the games. In fact, I still occasionally play one, even bought some of the recent ones. It's basically a simplistic RPG with focus on collecting different characters rather than equipment and like many such simplistic RPGs, it can be rather addictive.

navyjeff:
The only Pokemon-featuring game I ever played was Super Smash Bros. It appears I made the right choice.

You do realise these reviews are aren't meant to be serious, right?

OT: As a mad pokemon fan, I'm delighted to see my favourite series finally get a ZP video, good one Yahtzee!

Onyx Oblivion:

I wish... I wish this website had a reputation system, because you deserve all of it

Uber Waddles:
Disliked this review.

While it was clear he actually did play the game, his criticisms are all moot.

Turn based is just how the game plays out. While its not YOUR cup of team, a real-time Pokemon game would be clunky.

As for "theres only one play style", thats wrong too. He said he power-grinded Pokemon to take on the gym, just because you can do massive damage to Pokemon of a weaker type. Thats not how I play the game at all. I have a team, which I teached varied moves, and I dont power-grind them. You can use Buff moves, intricate strategies, etc. OR choose to just balls-to-the-walls-grind and smash everything down with ease.

Part of the appeal of the game is that there are so many creatures: especially if you play the game competitively. Lots of mechanics to master. Once again, not everyones cup of tea.

He also complained about the ease, but also mentions how frustrating random encounters and the cycle of losing health/healing/losing health/healing etc. is.

Eh, to each his own. Yahtzee doesn't like these sort of games, so I wasn't really expecting hiim to praise it, anyways. The single player game is pretty simple and basic type-trumping works fine. I'd be lying if I said that's not how I played through the game the first time.

wc alligator:
If he ever reviews a pokemon game and doesn't destroy it completely creating a wave of butthurt fanboys I'll lose all respect I have for him.

OK, I'm reasonably pleased. Not the verbal holocaust I expected but still good.

Now squeal, fanboys, squeal!

Going rather easy on this one.

I'm a fan of pokemon, but the plot was retarded. Not as much as the Ruby/Sapphire one (I hate land/ocean! Let's go drown/dry the world! ), but still something I'd have wanted to hear Yahtzee stomp all over.

Also, as he is not a big fan of the series, it's obvious his critisisms wouldn't be the same they'd be from someone who is into battling online and really hardcore poke-fan.
He wasn't really saying much critisism, was he?

I just want to go on record that I fucking called it. Not that he was going to review the game mind you, but that he downright hated it and the whole review would be too obvious. Yahtzee hates JRPGs, why should this one be any exception?

I'd get mad but quite frankly I see no point. Pokemon has always been a love it or hate it franchise in general and to me, despite its flaws I find to be a guilty pleasure. I would bitch out the fact that he said it's the same thing as the last installments since that's obviously not true but considering that he said he hadn't played another installment since the original Red/Blue/Yellow days, that pretty much excuses Yahtzee this time because how's he going to know that this installment focused more on story and had a lot of vast improvements over the older titles?

The Yahtzee is extra vitriolic today! Yum!

I haven't heard that profound level of anger in his voice in a while, and it's refreshing... Plus, I think he may have set a new personal best for number of times he said 'fuck' or some variant.

So what's the over/under on number of really upset pokemon fan posts? 300?

Best review he's done in a while. And I agree, the people of Pokémon-world must REALLY hate the education system, instead sending their kids away to tame creatures that ought to be classified as "demi-gods able to fit inside a ball".

For Christ sake, one of the legendary ones are supposed to have conjured up the universe or something. And still he gets his arse kicked!

At 3:07 in the video, the sign on the electric gym. Seem familiar?

O_O;;

Oh dear crap...I'm beginning to wonder if I should stop that Let's Play of Pokémon Black/White I'm doing now. As I mentioned in the Extra Punctuation thread about Dragon Age 2, I'm doing a sort of Let's Play on the games, but in a way that you'd have to read it as if read by our favorite Aussie here. Mostly because I doubt I could do him justice after seeing this.

Eh, what can I say. Yahtzee does or doesn't like it, that's his opinion.

Either way, it's always fun to set the kindling of a fanboy flame war alight with these things.

HankMan:
I think I know why Yahtzee really doesn't like Pokemon.
It's because he hates going to the gym!

Badum-Tish!

OT: Really was not expecting this...i thought mention the fact that green haired guy was called 'N'

Still awesome though :P

He know's he loves it inside...and i bet he is playing it right now...

Nalarion:
Totally saw this coming with the unoriginal list of pokemon

I have to agree with this. There's 3 new pokemon based on ice creams... all have the word vanilla in their name... have some damn creativity people!

samaugsch:

He should've done what I always do: Focus on strengthening my starter Pokemon. :3

My starter was tepig. it sucks now that its in the last evolution even though it was a higher level then most things. i used victini more then it anyway. :D

scorptatious:
Wow. You're the last person I'd expect to review a Pokemon game. 0_o

Anyway, nice video. Twas very funny. I wonder which starter you chose though...

Tepig. He said so in Extra Punctuation.

GamemasterAnthony:
O_O;;

Oh dear crap...I'm beginning to wonder if I should stop that Let's Play of Pokémon Black/White I'm doing now. As I mentioned in the Extra Punctuation thread about Dragon Age 2, I'm doing a sort of Let's Play on the games, but in a way that you'd have to read it as if read by our favorite Aussie here. Mostly because I doubt I could do him justice after seeing this.

Don't stop doing something just because you're afraid you won't do well. That's pretty beta, bro. I'm sure people will love your Let's Play video. Hell, I'd watch it.

Marik Bentusi:
Huh, first he's complaining his balanced team was near untouchable, then he complains about losing to everyone on his way. I'm not an expert or something, but losing against a random trainer is as hard as running out of money in Pokemon IMO.

Oddly enough, in this gen the people I lost were random trainers. None of the gym leaders or "bosses" posed any difficulty (apart from Elite four, and even they were easier in this gen than the others the first time), but several times I wandered in some route and got my ass kicked or had to use all my potions.

mrhateful:
Pokemon is an awful game, I only played red pokemon in elementary school because it was the only game that was any good on the gameboy color.

you must have really high standards for games.

Onyx Oblivion:

Manji187:

Onyx Oblivion:

Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really. It's all about competitive play, with the advent of wi-fi in D/P/P.

Heh...someone looks insulted.

What's the matter? Is Pokemon one of your favorite franchises? You have to admit that it's not for everyone. Same with a lot of other games/ activities.

Oh, I understand. I just hate the misinformation that Yahtzee can spread. Like how it hasn't changed in 15 years. Just because it's still turn based. The underlying mechanics have gone through quite a few changes.

He's the FOX News of game reviews.

Well.. some things change...some things remain the same. Maybe Yahtzee thought that a substantial portion of the whole concept remained the same. Maybe he would like to see some exponential innovation, instead of the linear, incremental one? I think it's fundamentally about the rate of change.

Then again "don't change a winning formula" right?

Onyx Oblivion:

Is that a bloody flying Pikachu?

Great episode:D

I was doing the math about when the Pokemon shows were all the rave and was like "wait so Yahtzee was about 20 plus..." when he finished the joke LOL

anyway, I never did get a Gameboy or the Pokemon handheld games...it was a sad childhood.

figures anyway, I just "acquired" all the best ACTUAL Pokemon cards from the other kids through my superior physicality-with cunning techniques (i.e. I was a proficient Team Rocket) of um...diversion and permanent borrowing (ninja)

I agree with Yacee. While I like turn based combat, the one in Pokemon is very boring. Its just more complicated rock-paper-scissors. Hit with strongest attack, rinse and repeat.

Congratulations on finding out that every single Pokemon game is identical.

Just one question. Why would anyone use a full team and actually pay attention to the battle strategy?
You get your starter, and you NEVER change pokemon. Kill every single trainer with just that one pokemon, and you won't have trouble in gyms since you will be twice the level of your opponent. (The first gym is an exception, but this game makes it easy by giving you one of the element monkeys, of your opposite element, right next to the first gym.)

That was the funniest ZP in quite a while. Nice job.
Personally, White is quickly becoming one of my favorite Pokemon games. Good thing I can take the piss.

arc1991:

HankMan:
I think I know why Yahtzee really doesn't like Pokemon.
It's because he hates going to the gym!

Badum-Tish!

He know's he loves it inside...and i bet he is playing it right now...

LOL I bet he is too. probably has a Pokemon blanket wrapped around him too (original 150)

and this made me laugh out loud so hard:

Onyx Oblivion:

I myself was very briefly tempted to get this game, then I saw the new pokemon list, or should I say "rehashmon." Nearly every "new" species is just a slightly edited version of a species from one of the previous generations, and the few original designs all kind of suck, I haven't been into pokemon since gold and crystal so I really couldn't care less for the mythos either...not that there IS one -_-

i never really thought yathzee was a pokemon guy. now we know.

I share Yahtzee's irritation with the electric gym. I won by the narrowest of margins, which admitedly was immensly satisfying.

You had trouble with Elesa?

Looks like someone didn't have a Conkeldurr in their party.

So Yahtzee got tripped up by emolga huh? Yeah I also hated that little shit, especially when he started using double team. I just proceeded to bite his head clean off, but still he was annoying.

Its one thing expressing you opinion on a game but insulting the makers and the fans like that? I've been a huge pokemon fan when it first came out, and I'm currently working in a hospital helping lives get a second chance, clearly thats mad and insane. And if you want to complain about the designs, Generation One had some shitty Pokemon too, It took Game Freak Over one year to make all these Gen5 pokemon give them a break, and if you don't like the names blame the translations, the Japanese names are far more better. And as for there being over 600 pokemon, would you rather have the first 150 pokemon through out all five Generations or completely brand new ones for a brand new start?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here