Extra Punctuation: Getting Innovation Wrong

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

One of the major things that i dont like about 3D is simply not being able to see it. One of the things that these companies are overlooking is that people with lack of depth perception is that they cant see 3D becuase their eyes cant see the images equally. I'm tired of going to movies and being forced to pay for a feature that i cant even see. For people like me 3D is a dead end with no future in our lives.

exampleAccount:
Nintendo's user base:
1. Fanbois who will buy their shit no matter what.
2. People that just want to play Pokemon, Zelda and SSB.
3. Idiots drawn in by cheap gimmicks.
4. People that realise that their latest console is bullshit but buy it anyway to justify hating it.
5. Your Gran.

Those five groups cover about 90% of the population. Notice how only one of those groups is drawn in by actual games, and those are games that haven't changed since the 90's.

I like how this quote is acceptable and totally not a fanboy but:

Lordofthesuplex:

Wow if that's not a clear fanboy line, I dunno what is. Okay I can play that ignorant game too:

Microsoft and SONY's user base:
1. People who prefer graphics over gameplay and are wowed by HD.
2. Hillbillies who only want to play war based games and shoot things.
3. Madden junkies.
4. Pretentious, elitist snobs who only care about tech specs.
5. Your drunken uncle.
6. Worthless neanderthals who think CoD hasn't stagnated faster than any Nintendo franchise.
7. Petty, opinion-less blobs that listen to Metacritic and only Metacritic.

See how stupid arguments towards a company or console like this really are?

This one is probation worthy.

Frankly, if I were Lordofthesuplex, I would have pointed out:

1. Fanbois who will buy their shit no matter what.

As opposed to fans of Halo, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, etc.

2. People that just want to play Pokemon, Zelda and SSB.

Because, if it doesn't have "blood n' boobs" in it, it just isn't worth playing.

......Except when it crosses over to the other consoles such as No More Heroes or Dead Space Extraction did. Then it's kewl.

3. Idiots drawn in by cheap gimmicks.

Which is why the other two consoles have been shamelessly swiping everything from Miis to Motion Controls from Nintendo.

4. People that realise that their latest console is bullshit but buy it anyway to justify hating it.

Because massive failure rates and credit card theft is so much better.

5. Your Gran.

Which is a funny statement given that, by selling to people outside the 15-24 male category, Nintendo has done more to make video games accepted as a "lifestyle" as well as the NEA's recent acceptance of Games being art than the other two have put together. It's doubly funny because Sony broke into the market with the PS1 by advertising video games as something that you didn't have to be a basement-dweller to enjoy. This adds just the right amount of irony to these pronouncements when it's a Sony fanboy doing it.

As for this Extra Punctuation:

*Shrug* Yahtzee strikes me as an increasingly bitter old man who is feeling left behind by the industry. It isn't so much that he hates the Wii as he continually makes statements like:

"But with the Wii and 3DS innovation one-two punch that dismally failed to connect,"

except in areas of sales, market, innovation. From that perspective, I can understand why he like the PS3 and the 360 because they are, for the most part, just beefier versions of their predecessors. But the fact that he's already beginning to trash the new Nintendo console before it's even out.....Well, actually, that's pretty much what I expected him to do. In this, I suppose I have to admire the fact that he is remarkably consistent.

thepyrethatburns:
Snip

Because disliking one company automatically makes me a fanboi of one of the other two?

Look, I buy nintendo products myself (DS's) because I want to play pokemon. I wasn't saying those where bad games, just that they are the only ones worth getting a Wii or DS for.

And yeah, the other consoles are ripping off motion controls but they had other selling points before hand.

The point is, Nintendo isn't moving the gaming medium forward at all. All there new stuff is shit.

exampleAccount:

Because disliking one company automatically makes me a fanboi of one of the other two?

It does when your post amounts to just trolling people for buying a console.

exampleAccount:

Look, I buy nintendo products myself (DS's) because I want to play pokemon. I wasn't saying those where bad games, just that they are the only ones worth getting a Wii or DS for.

This is true in the same way that there is no reason to buy a 360 if you are not a Halo Fan or a PS3 if you are not an MGS fan.

exampleAccount:

And yeah, the other consoles are ripping off motion controls but they had other selling points before hand.

Yes, for 18-24 year-old males who are content in playing consoles that were just beefier iterations of the previous one.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has actually managed to bring in more new gamers than the other two combined.

exampleAccount:

The point is, Nintendo isn't moving the gaming medium forward at all. All there new stuff is shit.

Because your "extensive" knowledge of Nintendo's product as well as your blind fanboyism makes you the best judge of Nintendo's market appeal.

But, hey. It's not like your sentiments aren't repeated ad nauseum on Gamefaqs/Gamespot so they must be right.

I want to say 3D is a fad. But then we all thought Wii motion controls was a fad, and it's less convenient than controllers. But nope, everyone jumped on the bandwagon. For what reason? That there are millions of potential customers who don't play games will now have brand loyalty? Didn't those same people leave their Wii to dust? And their Kinect?

But as long as the company gets the sale, they don't care how long you spend on the product.

I could see this thread full of probation badges.

thepyrethatburns:

exampleAccount:

It does when your post amounts to just trolling people for buying a console.
Learn what trolling is please.

exampleAccount:

This is true in the same way that there is no reason to buy a 360 if you are not a Halo Fan or a PS3 if you are not an MGS fan.
I disagree, there are plenty of good games on both the other consoles and PC. On the Wii there are roughly... three, maybe four.

exampleAccount:

Yes, for 18-24 year-old males who are content in playing consoles that were just beefier iterations of the previous one.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has actually managed to bring in more new gamers than the other two combined.I know a lot of these new "gamers" first hand, they barely even use their Wii's unless loads of people come round and get pissed. Anyway, just attracting new customers isn't moving the medium forward.

exampleAccount:

Because your "extensive" knowledge of Nintendo's product as well as your blind fanboyism derp makes you the best judge of Nintendo's market appeal.

But, hey. It's not like your sentiments aren't repeated ad nauseum on Gamefaqs/Gamespot so they must be right. Because that makes me wrong by default ...herp

Don't imply that I haven't formed this opinion myself, I did give the Wii a chance because I didn't want to be an ignorant naysayer. I just can't see any advantage over the other consoles or any real innovation that actually made it better

Response in bold.

We're at a plateau right now where technical capacity can't really advance anymore without surpassing our ability to design games that will utilize it (on an affordable budget).

We were there back in the 80's with the original NES too. The next step up was the video arcade game that cost thousands. Didn't make sense. So the main focus had to remain on making better quality games through game-play, level design and story. You couldn't out-do the competition with graphics only.

Game designers should be focusing on making better games or figuring out if there is a new category of game that should be created (what's the next FPS?). 3-D sure as hell ain't the answer because it makes the game WORSE, not better.

thepyrethatburns:

As for this Extra Punctuation:

*Shrug* Yahtzee strikes me as an increasingly bitter old man who is feeling left behind by the industry. It isn't so much that he hates the Wii as he continually makes statements like:

"But with the Wii and 3DS innovation one-two punch that dismally failed to connect,"

except in areas of sales, market, innovation. From that perspective, I can understand why he like the PS3 and the 360 because they are, for the most part, just beefier versions of their predecessors. But the fact that he's already beginning to trash the new Nintendo console before it's even out.....Well, actually, that's pretty much what I expected him to do. In this, I suppose I have to admire the fact that he is remarkably consistent.

In other words, Yahtzee's become a nostalgically blind elitist. Pretty much the same thing I've been saying since his MadWorld review.

Maybe I could've presented my argument better but I see no reason why I should be a candidate for probation YET AGAIN just for pointing out why I think certain users' opinions aren't very fair arguments at all, let alone the cases where I'm calling Yahtzee out for his bullshit.

I still think Nintendo was right on the money with their N64 controller. It was perfect or would be with just a few modifications imho.

As for 3D. I think it's neat to be able to see depth but it's rarely used properly. I'm not sure if I like super HD displays either. Take the newer batman movie with the joker. At one point there's a close up of his face while he's speaking and I swear I can see the stage makeup. It just.. doesn't look right. *shrug*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here