Trailers: Aliens: Colonial Marines: E3 2011

Pages PREV 1 2

Considering this is from Gearbox and is a proper Aliens game, I'm excited to say the least. Been waiting years for this.

Team Hollywood:
Aliens: Colonial Marines: E3 2011

Ripley is missing and the colonial marines must travel to the U.S.S. Sulaco to find her.

Watch Video

Huh? Why would the ship be on LV-426 and not Fury 161? And only 2 civvies on board? What about Newt?

Perfect timing IMO, considering the new Alien movie is coming out next year. I just hope that it doesnt have too many references to Aliens. As much as I love the movie (In my Top 5, right after the original), too many winks to it would ruin the atmosphere.

Seeing as I own AVP, AVP 2, and AVP 2 Primal Hunt and still play them I hope they don't mess up the feel. Those games are great for the feel of AVP the fight to survive or get an amazing spear kill...

If the games doesn't feel like I am fighting for my survival I will fail it and send it back to horror/suspense 101.

Otherwise a small part of me is screaming yes there is a chance!

I refuse to believe that they in those hundreds of years in the future are still running IPv4.
Turns out it's an ARG. You think someone will pick up on it?

CLEARLY none of these marines or the command staff have ever played a horror video game or seen a horror movie. When a ship goes ghost and all you're finding a bits and pieces, you don't go in to look around. You either blow up the thing from a safe distance, or you send in enough soldiers to take over a small country. Otherwise, you are going to die.

I hope this will be good. I can see it working, but I can also see it failing miserably.

funguy2121:

Team Hollywood:

Ripley is missing and the colonial marines must travel to the U.S.S. Sulaco to find her.

Watch Video

Huh? Why would the ship be on LV-426 and not Fury 161? And only 2 civvies on board? What about Newt?

Newt wasn't part of the original crew, therefore she wouldn't be in the command's data base. Odd though, how the marines don't make any reference to the colonists.

Skeleon:

they mostly screw it up. Mostly.

that was very subtle xD

What I'm happiest about in this trailer is that so far they seem to be saying that Alien 3 onwards didn't happen.

Worgen:
why the hell does everyone forget about hicks? he was alive at the end of aliens but they just killed him off in the crash in aliens 3

I was curious about this too, but also thought of another thing: what are they going to do about the 3rd movie's canon? I mean, do they just throuw out that stuff? If not, then we already know how this game ends. It's a doomed effort. Not to mention the only alien to make it aboard the sulaco was the queen. And she got jetisoned into space like so much jetsam. However, the third was my least favorite, and I don't remember the beginning, so I suppose there could be room to mess around with the story somewhat... but very limited room.

AquaAscension:

Worgen:
why the hell does everyone forget about hicks? he was alive at the end of aliens but they just killed him off in the crash in aliens 3

I was curious about this too, but also thought of another thing: what are they going to do about the 3rd movie's canon? I mean, do they just throuw out that stuff? If not, then we already know how this game ends. It's a doomed effort. Not to mention the only alien to make it aboard the sulaco was the queen. And she got jetisoned into space like so much jetsam. However, the third was my least favorite, and I don't remember the beginning, so I suppose there could be room to mess around with the story somewhat... but very limited room.

Id be happy if they just reset the aliens universe back to the end of the 2nd movie and forgot about all the other ones, I didnt really like any of them past that one

some funny Facebook comments on this video lol
still, could they make a whole game where you just freak out, fire randomly screaming, and getting eaten? :p
but no really I'm interested in a good Aliens game, so let's hope it's good. note to Gearbox...(still waiting to see DNF sooo first things first)

Worgen:

Yeah so they killed off Newt too without a second thought either.

I wish I could care about this game, but I really don't. I've fought aliens in 3 different FPS games now(inc the Doom2 mod), and at this point what can they offer that'll be new? Same weapons. Same aliens. A few slight variation aliens but whatever same crap.

There's only so much you can do with this stuff when you're drawing from source material that only has one enemy type. (3 if you count the queen and the implanter things).

It looks... average. Oh well.

Oh fuck the hell YES!! Anything ALIENS is something I want.

They should just launch TAC missiles at it until they're satisfied that it has been completely vaporized. Fuck that ship.

Sniper Team 4:

funguy2121:

Team Hollywood:

Watch Video

Newt wasn't part of the original crew, therefore she wouldn't be in the command's data base. Odd though, how the marines don't make any reference to the colonists.

Actually, Ripley and Newt were the only two civilians on board, Hicks was military and Bishop was an android.

Or am I forgetting someone? Have I made a mistake? I'm very tired.

Worgen:

AquaAscension:

Worgen:

Id be happy if they just reset the aliens universe back to the end of the 2nd movie and forgot about all the other ones, I didnt really like any of them past that one

And they should declare AVP as none-existent.

But that doesn't change the fact that aliens have been done to death, we know everything about them now and they just aren't scary anymore. It's time for a new monster to be made in this universe, luckily Ridley Scott has just this in mind with his next film.

Shit I remember this was announced way back and then it just dropped off the grid. Hopefully it's a decent Aliens game.

Anti Nudist Cupcake:

Worgen:

AquaAscension:

But that doesn't change the fact that aliens have been done to death, we know everything about them now and they just aren't scary anymore. It's time for a new monster to be made in this universe, luckily Ridley Scott has just this in mind with his next film.

the real problem with the aliens in the alien movies is that as the movies have gone on the aliens have become more and more zombie like, in other words they arnt the real threat, they are just a force of nature and the real threat is the people your with and thats now what people loved about the first 2

Left 4 Dead game style + Xenomorphs = must have title.

Only this. Anything else will be destined for the bargain bin.

Anti Nudist Cupcake:

Sniper Team 4:

funguy2121:

Actually, Ripley and Newt were the only two civilians on board, Hicks was military and Bishop was an android.

Or am I forgetting someone? Have I made a mistake? I'm very tired.

Yes, you're forgetting Paul Riser's character, Carter Burke.
Remember, he was a representative of that corporation who had the secret agenda of trying to bring back one of the aliens for their private research. Remember, he locked Newt and Ripley in that room with the eggs, hoping they'd get impregnated, then they could just cryo them back as carriers (unaware to everyone else).

He got his when he locked everyone out of the lab during the big "alien's from everywhere!" attack and he turned around and there was a big slimy standing in the doorway waiting on him.

Worgen:

the real problem with the aliens in the alien movies is that as the movies have gone on the aliens have become more and more zombie like, in other words they arnt the real threat, they are just a force of nature and the real threat is the people your with and thats now what people loved about the first 2[/quote]

Actually, I think the problem is that they went AWAY from the character development and concentrated TOO much on the "aliens" in the newer films.

What has changed is that Alien and Aliens were essentially horror movies, with the second being only slightly more sci fi action oriented. But as the series went on, it became less about the creepiness and fear of the aliens, and more about badass marines or prison inmates or mercenaries or bounty hunters kicking ass and taking names before being wiped out to a man in some macho-esque "last heroic stand" moment.

In the first two movies, you barely SAW the Aliens. They were shadows.. terrors in the night, and when someone saw one, they usually died a gruesome death very shortly thereafter. There was also a feeling of helplessness that pervaded the situation: IN the first, they were just a bunch of blue collar work types resorting to wielding wrenches and modified blow torches for defense and they didnt even know what they were defending themselves from.. they were just being picked off one by one by some menace in a cold, sterile, dark ship. In the second, they were stranded on a wasteland of a planet in an abandoned colony where every single other person was dead, and while they were marines, they were still going up against a foe they had little information about and knowledge of, greatly outnumbered, in a strange place that was dark, breaking down, and industrial in design, perfect for hiding unseen horrors in the "dark."

As the series went on it became about busting up bugs and kick ass human characters that were supposed to be as "vicious" as the very aliens that were killing them. That's what has killed the series, just as every horror series over the years has perished: When the main horror monster, psycho, thing, whatever starts to become a common occurrence and the movie becomes about lavish action sequences instead of filling us with suspense and terror, it loses it's punch. That's why Freddy stopped being "scary" around the Dream Masters. He went from demon in the night to witty one-liner using killer guy fighting kid warlocks and juvenile delinquents with switch blades. Thus Nightmare on Elm Street stopped being anything close to a "nightmare."

Well, the recent AvP game was crap. Let's hope this one is better?

At first I was rather excited about this game... then at the end of the trailer, they show the Alien in full view of the camera so everyone can get a nice big look.

: \

The scariest aspect of the Alien in the 1979 film was that we didn't really see it, or how it moved. It wasn't some crap bug that could be blown away with a couple of bullets... it was representative more so of a sexually menacing evil force that was always one step ahead of you and had no feeling of remorse regarding your screams of fear and pain when it was killing you (or maybe raping you, as implied in the original film).

In this incarnation, it seems that its just a bug that we know everything about, that needs gunning down by the action hero...

/snore

Hopefully this is just an artifact of the trailer and not representative of the final product. I want horror and scaryness like "1916" not a alien creature shoot-em up.

Niea:
Snip

Well that is the very essence of every Aliens related game from the Arcade to the latest AVP. You're a Colonial Marine and sadly, the horror aspect of the original will never be implemented into the games.

Until the mods get 'em, just like in AVP2.

Great! An Alien game without any 'vs Predator' rubbish jammed in there.

How that 'vs' thing ever became more than a 'what if' joke, is beyond me. I blame Freddy vs Jason, no King Kong vs Godzilla.

PurePareidolia:
What? Hadley's Hope still has aliens in it?
But they detonated the terraforming thing, the entire colony and everything surrounding was obliterated, not to mention they killed the queen and torched the eggs personally. How the hell are there any Aliens still alive there?

I mean, I'm all for saying Alien 3 didn't exist, but this is just invalidating Aliens in a different way.

Nothing wrong with Alien 3. There is something wrong however, with the way Fox ruined the film with meddling and rewrites and general dicking around. The Assembly Cut is pretty good, and despite its flaws, which are standard move flaws for the most part, I don't see it in any way as detrimental to the Alien series or aesthetic. The first film I saw in the 'trilogy' was Alien, so for me, ALIENS is the odd one out.

Otherwise, it is possible to bring the alien's back intelligently and cleverly. That explosion would not have destroyed the planet, and considering how hard it was to find the original relic craft again, it must be shielded and far away from Hadley's Hope. Thus, it is still there and filled with eggs.

As for the life cycle of the Alien, it is reasonable to suggest that a colony's genetics follow the colony's needs, as seen in a great many colony and communal creatures on earth, and a new queen will result in order to re-address the balance.

It is quite possible that the humans in this game will not travel back to the planet to COUNTER an alien 'infestation', but inadvertantly create one themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the marines find themselves pitted against Weyland Yutani back there. It took Riply almost 50 years to return to the earth the FIRST time she went to LV426. We don't know how long it took the Sulaco to find LV426 again and thus return. Clearly space travel is all sub-light speed. It is entirely possible that were Weyland Yutani to have preempted the second marine mission, they'd have a secret installation already there in the making.

(NOTE - Ripley had a daughter and clearly expected to return to her in reasonable time, thus, it is possible that the Nostromo was taken far, far off course at the Company's command, and that the ship and crew were therefore 'overdue' for many years. This is not explicitly addressed in the films, but it fits logically. So, in the game, the Marines could return to LV426 to find a new, secret, Hadley's Hope. There'd be time enough.

Or, the story could just be really crap.)

HyenaThePirate:
In the first two movies, you barely SAW the Aliens. They were shadows.. terrors in the night, and when someone saw one, they usually died a gruesome death very shortly thereafter.

Niea:
At first I was rather excited about this game... then at the end of the trailer, they show the Alien in full view of the camera so everyone can get a nice big look.

This.

The fact that they couldnt even restrain themselves for the length of a 60 second (plus titles) trailer says to me "Wait for the reviews. And dont get your hopes up."

I also wasnt really impressed with the voice acting and the computer screens. The voice acting seemed awkward to me, with too much focus on being gravel-voiced instead of focusing on sounding like they were having a conversation (as opposed to sounding like they were reading lines).

The computer screens kind of gave me that retro Alien feel, but it was ruined by "Hostname: Father" being the first thing we see. Too much fanservice, not enough effort. Just seemed like a cheap attempt to make fans go "Zomg thats liek the computer name from the movie!", but it just seems overdone - MU/TH/UR was in Alien, FA-TH-UR was in Resurrection, at this point continuing with it is not a callback to the movies, its becoming a running joke instead. The first thing you see for a horror/sci-fi game is a running joke? Er... no thanks.

It just feels to me like fanfic. Oversaturated with "cool" stuff and references, at the expense of what was actually good about the movies. Its still possible that the good stuff might be in the game, but it wasnt in this trailer.

Okay EVERYONE....

Type in 66.194.172.6 on google and go to the top link. Type in the Password "Father" to access the terminal and you can see more footage. I love little secret things like that.

TimeComando:
Did anyone like AVP2 as much as I did.

I believe Balancing 3 very different character Class and having that worked additively well in multiplayer and campaign, is worth recognizing.

Shame they didn't actually DO that with a xenomorph cmapaign that was too damn short.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Huh? What? Did the trailer start, yet?

Seriously that was a very boring trailer. Way to get us pumped up for what will likely be a very crappy game.

Gearbox is making an Aliens game, using the second movie as a jumping-off point. And there are no Predators to be seen. If this is good, it will be a dream come true for me. And if it's bad...well, the Alien franchise has already been driven into the ground, thanks to the third movie and the Alien vs. Predator movies. So, really, it couldn't destroy the franchise any more.

Start Game

Go Bust

Become Vapour Wear

Give to Gear Box

???

Profit and possible cookies.

that is all

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or