No Right Answer: Best Western Film Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3

In general, I like the ideas behind both 'No Right Answer' and 'Drinking Games', but they both need to work on execution. For Drinking Games, just give me a list in text form. And then look up innumerable other lists of video game drinking games. And then cancel the show.

For 'No Right Answer' the problem I have with the show is that the worthlessness of the debate makes me incapable of caring about either the outcome or the debate itself. And that makes it hard for the jokes to be very funny. This week's episode would have been exactly as entertaining, if not more so, if the debate was "Best western ever made: 'Jem' or 'this piece of lint I found in my bellybutton'." If both sides adequately researched their arguments, I would absolutely watch that.

Tombstone is really good!

So, it's that.

EDIT: Didn't realise this was the title of a show, thought it was a thread telling me that my opinion was okay.

Back to the Future Part 3 is far superior. Tannen drools like a mad dog! It both doubles as a solid self contained Western themed plot, while simultaneously fitting in with the mythology of the series and wrapping up the overall story. Also, it's not a goddamned cartoon. By the way, this Quentin Tarantino bashing shall not stand! I'll quit watching, I swear (no he won't).

Agent Larkin:
Best Western?

Django.

Awesome call.

Corbucci certainly had some amazing stuff, and could use more recognition; of his westerns that I've seen, my favorite is The Great Silence, though Django is definitely full of awesome.

My favorite western director, though, would definitely be Leone.

Lonesome Dove is by far the best western of all time.

Without a doubt The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (also in terms of music). Also, True Grit was a damn fine movie.

"'You idi-idi-idut-idio...'"
"It says idiots. It's for you."

The Man with no name trilogy(screw you I'm counting it as one massive movie of awesome)
For a fist-full of dollars
For a few dollars more
The Good,The Bad, And the Ugly

Best western Ever

Tombstone, or The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, or 3:10 to Yuma.

Assassination was raging film-making boner. One of the best movies of all time. The only reason why I won't settle with that as my unright answer is because it wasn't a traditional western. It was almost closer to Broadway than Clint Eastwood.

Tombstone had class and realism, but no production value. And while I don't want to blame actors and film-makers for not being able to buy a better movie, it does factor in to a point. Although, I believe it to be Val Kilmer's greatest performance, and that he played one of the best cowboys in the history of film.

3:10 to Yuma seemed to find the middle ground between Assassination and Tombstone, where it wasn't so drenched in money that you couldn't hear the movie past the loud sound of the cha-ching sounds but at the same time it was enough of a money grab for the studio not to let the writers get too original. The actors were pretty good, and the story was great.

But at the end of the day, I haven't seen every Western movie ever made, so I have no ground to stand on, and neither do many of us (considering the possibility that someone reading this has, in fact, watched every single Western movie, whether big budget or indie amateur, ever made.)

As soon as he played the Jimmy Stewart card I knew it was all over. Love this show :D

What's the deal with the product placement though? Is it... necessary? The way it's just plonked in the middle of debate is pretty jarring.

I'm still not sure what to think of this series. Are they seriously defending these 2 movies as the best? Or is that the joke. Because that seems like REALLY strange choices for best western ever. If that is the joke, I suppose I get it, but it just isn't that obvious or even that funny. If that isn't a joke, then I don't know what to think. And the Jones plug really bugs me. Blatant product pandering can't really be done in a funny way more the once. Kinda loses it's "funny" after the first time.

My personal favorite is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. that is my opinion, for some reason I felt you were entitled to it.

I'm tempted to say "The Wild Bunch" but.... But really saying what is "the best Western" or "the best gangster film" is an admission that the films from that genre don't rate as overall great films.

And "The Wild Bunch" is one of the best films ever made.

What's with the product placement?

Mouse_Crouse:
I'm still not sure what to think of this series. Are they seriously defending these 2 movies as the best? Or is that the joke. Because that seems like REALLY strange choices for best western ever. If that is the joke, I suppose I get it, but it just isn't that obvious or even that funny. If that isn't a joke, then I don't know what to think. And the Jones plug really bugs me. Blatant product pandering can't really be done in a funny way more the once. Kinda loses it's "funny" after the first time.

The joke is that people like me have all sort of really stupid conversations and fake debates about a wide range of pointless and stupid subjects, and it is fun to hear these debates from the outside. Everyone has heard the argument of Batman vs Spiderman, and that is an incredibly dumb thing to argue about, but it is fun. And it is more fun to defend an absurd position if you make bigger and wilder claims about it. I think the show is really fun, and the product placement doesn't bother me one bit. Then again, product placement never has, I don't see the big deal if it's done in a way that is fun or in some other way does not damage the show.

Sparrow:
Pssh, naw. Best Western I've seen? The 3:10 To Yuma remake. Damn, I loved that film.

yes
that was the coolest movie

Cat Ballou, because of the awesome balladeering, Lee Marvin's double-acting duty, and the way Jane Fonda filled out those pants:

DrOswald:
The joke is that people like me have all sort of really stupid conversations and fake debates about a wide range of pointless and stupid subjects, and it is fun to hear these debates from the outside. Everyone has heard the argument of Batman vs Spiderman, and that is an incredibly dumb thing to argue about, but it is fun. And it is more fun to defend an absurd position if you make bigger and wilder claims about it.

Fair enough. I suppose I could see some fun moments with me and my friends. Just dosen't seem like it's as fun to watch from the outside. Because I can't call out the BS without being part of the conversation. Guess it's just not my thing. Well either way, I wish them luck. The escapist can be a hard place to start a new show. Just ask Jim.

The good the bad and the weird anyone?

Best pure Western film? Tombstone.

Best hybrid Western film? SERENITY. Probably not, I'm biased, but it's my favorite.

This episode is very humorous. I was literally blown that they brought up two old classic movies like An American Tail: Fievel Goes West and Back to the Future 3. Am very shocked about all of it, and mostly great yet funny arguments were brought up. Well played, I like this show now and shall continue to watch the series.

Also I see your stack of games there- Dead Space 2 for the win!! Love that game, perhaps you guys should discuss games that are meant to be one way, but turned out amazing for another reason like how Dead Space 2 is based on the scare factor, but rather it's in game design on the action makes up for it.

Bu... bu... but, I loves Tarantino.

If the aim of the game is to pick some poor candidates, then Back to the Future III is actually a really poor candidate for that game. :P

BTF III would rank pretty high for me among the best westerns ever. It was one of the first to use the grittier style of '90s Westerns, along with "Young Guns". And it did it very successfully. They managed to use the silly humour of the series without actually compromising with the Western genre.

My personal best Western ever would probably be Tombstone. There are lots of worthy candidates, among them of course several of the Sergio Leone episodes. Tombstone however feels more classic than the spaghetti's, and much more realistic than anything from 1930-1960.

Tombstone has everything you need from a Western, the dream of starting from scratch, the gold rush, the bad guys who ruin paradise, and most importantly friendship. And it has not only one, but two incredibly cool dudes. I am of course talking about Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo.

*Edit: I had completely forgotten about "Cat Balou" that has to take the price as the best comic Western ever. It shows just how many tricks that genre can do.

For me I'd pick Once Upon a Time in the West though I've a lot of love for Django and Winchester '73.

But given the theme of defending terrible choices I guess I'd go Jonah Hex... go on, defend that pile of terrible ;)

I thought the first episode was pretty funny. I had no idea what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. But this episode -- the moment you guys mentioned Fievel Goes West . . . wow. I loved that movie as a kid, and I just know I'm going to be a fan of this series for a long time to come.

Wild Wild West.

Seriously, what are the acctual requirements to getting your vweb series on the escapist these days? Breathing? Because so far that's the only quality this group have. Between this and "drinking" games I'm starting to think that a few of Russ Pitt's mates just needed a job.

Boy was I surprised when I expected Fist Full of Dollars vs. Two Mules for Sister Sarah

I love this show, and Cream Soda is the best soda by far.

Sparrow:
Pssh, naw. Best Western I've seen? The 3:10 To Yuma remake. Damn, I loved that film.

This.

Also, one big thing Feivel had going for it in the music department was the score itself, by the inimitable (mostly because he's too busy imitating himself) James Horner. Recognize.

Fun fact: Tom Wilson kinda does a lot of things nowadays: music, art, the occasional guest shot on Bones or House. But he also tours as a stand-up comic. And an awesome one, too. Take the whole family, he's as clean as he is funny. Seriously, look for his name, and when he's in town, GO.

I'm going to throw Young Guns out there.

I love westerns ranging from Sons of Katy Elder to Unforgiven however, for some reason, I just really like Young Guns.

Neither of the movies debated were " westerns " pick a real western like the good the bad and the ugly vs some random John Wane movie. That at least would be a worthy debate.

If this isn't some sort of joke-debate (which I'm 98% sure it is), then these guys seriously need to see some more Westerns...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here