Escapist Podcast: 009: Skyrim, CivWorld and Tali

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm confused why people are so against restarting in the first turn of Civ. In Civ 5 they even removed the popular regenerate map feature from Civ IV that would a allow essentially a respawned map. I'm a fairly average Civ player and really don't know how to compensate well enough from being spawned in the middle of the desert. Therefore I don't want to spend an hour or so falling behind and then being defeated by a character who started in the garden of eden (computer or human). Actually that's one of my biggest complaints about the Civ games, I have never figured out how to transition from being able to win on the normal difficulty to any of the higher ones.

Susan Arendt:

AvauntVanguard:
Susan was wrong. It's not the atmosphere, it's that their immune systems are... pretty much non existent. Entirely different.

Aaaand what do you think happens when a shit immune system meets a foreign atmosphere?

The immune system thing just went completely mentioned. That's important information D:

Formica Archonis:
Still going in Echo Bazaar, Susan? How's the new late-game content? I've heard tell that some of it is damn pricey (both in Echoes and Fate), is it worth it? (I choked when I heard that one of the Rubbery Man storylets takes some obscene amount of Fate, 90 or something.)

I had characters with each one or two high-level stats and now I'm in a hard grind to get them all up near the caps so I can unlock the later content, but it's starting to burn me out and I'd like to have some idea if I'll like what I see.

(My goodness, there's no good multi-stat storylets for Watchful characters. Seriously, if you cap in any of the other three it's easy - if tedious - to get the others up as long as you have a good supply of second chances and a few choice storylets. But Watchful? Some mid-level Shadowy and Dangerous ones but those are locked by the time you cap their primary stats.)

I enjoy it, but I don't typically follow the storylets that require Fate to play. It does mean I wind up doing a lot of waiting around, but given that I play at work, I don't mind so much. I play the cards mostly at this point, because the Labyrinth of Tigers seems to be a temporary dead end.

Susan Arendt:
I enjoy it, but I don't typically follow the storylets that require Fate to play.

Well, I'm glad it's just not me.:) I did buy some, I admit, but I'm using it in very tiny amounts when I have an inkling of what it's going to get me. (Used some to get the venom-rubies I needed for my bejeweled walking stick, for instance.) If I can buy it with Echoes I'm certainly not gonna use Fate to do it.

Susan Arendt:
It does mean I wind up doing a lot of waiting around, but given that I play at work, I don't mind so much. I play the cards mostly at this point, because the Labyrinth of Tigers seems to be a temporary dead end.

Finished the Hound of Heaven thing already? Wow. I feel like such a newbie!

I have to take issue with what Susan said on this multiple playthroughs thought.

She's right -- if you buy a game and then play it once and just sit twiddling your thumbs with your wallet out waiting for the next offering or DLC, the company will make more money for [less] effort.

But that's a dick move. It's like the water cooler talk about how the original Ford F150 was too good a truck or whatnot and the manufacturer stopped making it because no one ever paid repair costs or bought new cars. If you can make a quality product, do it. I can't speak for everyone, but I'll be purchasing Bethesda games for awhile based on the loyalty stock they've built up with me for their games. I'd much rather than then grudgingly buy the next iteration in a series because it's latest meal dumped in the food trough.

Can anyone please explain to me how Tali is in any way mysterious?
She's got a very clearly defined character and backstory, for all I know.

I don't see how not knowing what she looks like physically adds to 'mystique' in any way.
The player character does have an opportunity to see her face, and the fact that he has to "romance" her to do so, without knowing what she looks like (forgoing more conventionally beautiful characters in the process) is indeed unique. And there it does add to the experience, and I could support not ever showing her face if it meant both the player and character have the same aforementioned hurdle to overcome, even when metagaming. But to do so because of some misguided sense of mystery, so you can continue to maintain some sort of 'perfect image' of her (be that beautiful or distinctly ugly/alien)? That's just shallow. In fact, that's just as bad as going for her because of any other 'attractive' physical aspect (e.g. Miranda: Dat ass and whatnot). And giving her a defined face would ensure you actually like/romance her for the "right" (IMO) reason: Her personality (character)

When I cancel my game after the first turn its usually because I cannot see any good resources close by!

Usually I start making my decision for my end game plan based on my expansion possibilities. So usually I'd do a restart after the first 20 to 50 turns. Also depends on if I get horses/iron. xD

"Right. Right. Right. Right. Right. Right. Right. Right." (Steve when Susan talked about civ)

I really hope this was a joke.

Susan, you had Mordin "Hold the Line" ?? What a cloaca. ;)

I fully support showing the faces of *OTHER* Quarians, but not Tali. Maybe someone we know (Kal'Reegar?) but Tali's face should be kept secret.

And I 100% support the "streamlining" of the levelup/skills system from Oblivion. That was probably my least favorite part of the game (and it certainly wasn't without it's other flaws.) Simply put, if you choose your favorite and most commonly used skills for Major Skills, you've severely gimped your later level stats. And you probably won't even realize it until many MANY hours in (or until you read an FAQ online)

xanderhunter:
In regards to Skyrim dumbing down there skill system, they already did that from Morrowind to Oblivion, they changed from short and long swords to just blades, same with blunt weapons. I think taking it a step further is completely unneeded. Also removing customization of gear is a crying shame. I personally love dressing up in fuzzy green pants with a Daedric breastplate. Removing that so we can have more NPC's on screen seems pointless, were not playing Samurai Warriors where the whole point is to have 1000 enemies on screen to wade through.

This is what bugged me about Oblivion. They started making people use a dress code. It bugged me that wearing a robe meant I could not equip pants. That made no sense unless I was a flasher. I was hoeing that they would fix this by making armor more modular not the opposite.

Skyrim is sounding pretty horrible. Morrowind struck the best balance between skills, leveling, and equipment out of Daggerfall through Oblivion. Oblivion just dumbed everything down so much and now Skyrim sounds like more of the same. Well a series can't last forever.

I will also say this, the leveling system does need an overhaul. Its been borked for awhile though. They need to totally retool it, but not by removing choice and customization for your character.

lowkey_jotunn:

That in-joke brought a tear to my eye.

Zhukov:

lowkey_jotunn:

That in-joke brought a tear to my eye.

hehe.

I still remember the first time I made that connection. On my first play-through, Mordin died there 3 or 4 times before I finally just took him with me on the last bit. Never quite understood why he was such a wuss.

On the second play through, when he was talking about Kirrahe, and making fun "Little bit of a cloaca. Loved those speeches. Hold. The. Line. Personally prefer to get job done and go home" The light bulb clicked and I laughed for a solid 2 minutes. Partly at myself for not getting it sooner, and partly at ME for their crazy internal consistency. Only better laugh I got from ME 2 was also involving Mordin. And Gilbert and Sullivan ;)

I wish I could download these on my Ipod. It is hard to sit at my computer for an hour just listening.

Lenin211:
I wish I could download these on my Ipod. It is hard to sit at my computer for an hour just listening.

You can now actually. There is a Podcast/Download link in the lower left hand side of the player, and they should be available on iTunes soon.

Clicking on the episode in FeedDemon only brings me to the video page. Manually copying the mp3 link from RSS source and pasting it in the browser does not do anything. So, no luck downloading. iTunes is irrelevant for me.

Guys, I'm having a tech issue. I'm using firefox 4 and I steam about 1 minute of video, an ad pops up and it stops streaming the video after the ad.

I'm one of those people that will restart civ a million times to make sure i get the right starting place and the right civ.

i would love to play this civ world, but it won't friggin load.

TheCakeisALie87:
I'm confused why people are so against restarting in the first turn of Civ. In Civ 5 they even removed the popular regenerate map feature from Civ IV that would a allow essentially a respawned map. I'm a fairly average Civ player and really don't know how to compensate well enough from being spawned in the middle of the desert. Therefore I don't want to spend an hour or so falling behind and then being defeated by a character who started in the garden of eden (computer or human). Actually that's one of my biggest complaints about the Civ games, I have never figured out how to transition from being able to win on the normal difficulty to any of the higher ones.

Spawning in the desert is rough, but the folks I'm talking about will make a Turn One restart decision based on whether they got grasslands instead of plains.

i hate this...it goes on for too long

Breno:
i hate this...it goes on for too long

Easy enough to just not listen, then.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: