Critical Miss: The Bad News...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

GiantRaven:
I'm sorry, but Nintendo are giving away 20 free games to people that already own a 3DS. What the devil do they have to apologise for?

Absofuckinglutly nothing. But people don't really care because "Zomgz,I has 20 free games,10 of which nobody else can have but they payed less money for there's so now I am going to bitch about getting free things to compensate for the extra money I paid!!!!11"

So yeah,the comic sums it all up pretty well.

HAHA! This is hilarious! But seriously though, where's my jet pack?

Asuka Soryu:

Dawkter:

Asuka Soryu:

So, the Nintendo Wii owners get out of having to send an apology letter?

Buh-zing!

I snickered.

nogaems meme 2.0: wii has no gaems

In honesty though, the Wii has the best 1st/2nd party exclusives and is the only system without a subscription model for it's online (although it replaces names with fucking 9001 digit numbers), pay-to-play P2P network (ahem xbox) or add-on bullshit beyond the plastic bats, wheels, or tennis rackets that don't cost much and are for the casuals. Wii Speak doesn't count because it's not bullshit and neither does the Classic Controller for the same reason.

However, the graphics are fail, you'd be missing out on 90 percent of this gen's gems if that was the only system you had, the online system is fucking horrible, shovelware, Wiimote motion/waggle is used as a gimmick in otherwise good games, etc. etc.

Nah, it did have good 1st and 2nd party games.

Now it's got dust with Skyward Sword being the only game of note coming out.

Maybe if you live in Japan, then sure. You can get the Wii games Nintendo won't bring to America. I had a Wii... I got rid of it, because all it did was collect dust.

Mario Kart? I'd rather play it on the older consoles.

Twilight Princess? I got tired of that game. Thank god of OoT 3D. :3

New Mario Bros Wii? I loved/preffere the DS over the Wii version. Wii wasn't as fun.

Metroid Other M? Please, god no. I didn't enjoy that game... it felt good, but the cutcenes with Samus talking were obnoxious. That dumb thing with you needing to find a speck on the screen before she'd do anything...

Best game to me, for the Wii exclusively was Super Mario Galazy and the game that came free with the Wii.
Gotta admit though, I did get more fun from

You had DCK, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Goldeneye, Conduit, Red Steel 2 (1 sucked), Animal Crossing, MadWorld, Bit.Trip, A Boy and His Blob, Dragon Quest X, Contra ReBirth, SSBB, Trauma Team...

InterAirplay:

pretentiousname01:
I think we have a bit of a obligation to be upset. Unit has been out less than 6 months and its loosing 25% of its price. In return for our early support we get handed digital copies of gba games?

Yes I'm aware we didn't have to get anything, so don't bother pointing it out. Not giving out any kind of "apology" is bad marketing. Remember how pissed when the only thing announced for the ps3 outage was playstation plus?

In fact I'd have been a lot happier if they would have given me a list of games to choose from. Especially as I don't care about most of the games they have already listed as "ambassador" titles.

Just shows me that nintendo only has nostalgia to offer us.

The earlier you buy something, the more you pay for it.

That is a big part of how commodities are priced.

There is no excuse for not being aware that the price would drop. Just because t dropped sooner and by a larger margin than expected does not give you any kind of right to be annoyed. You were the one who bought something for a price it obviously isn't worth, knowing full well that EVERYTHING is priced higher when released earlier.

Do you also argue that the woman who walked through the alley shouldn't be upset when she's raped? I mean, it was clearly a possibility, made more likely by her decision to walk down the dark alley. And the skirt she was wearing certainly didn't help. She should've known better than to walk down that alley in that skirt.

Why is it OK to assign blame in one case, where an individual was wronged, but not OK to assign blame in the other case, where an individual was wronged?

Early adopters are what make the industry move. Without day-1 purchases of hardware and software, the industry loses ridiculous amounts of money.

Maybe we'll all finally stop buying products at launch, one day, and then you can whine about how our decision to stop spending money on broken or half-delivered products is hurting the industry.

RvLeshrac:

Do you also argue that the woman who walked through the alley shouldn't be upset when she's raped? I mean, it was clearly a possibility, made more likely by her decision to walk down the dark alley. And the skirt she was wearing certainly didn't help. She should've known better than to walk down that alley in that skirt.

This is not relevant. This example is in no way similar to the case we're looking at. Not only that, but you're not doing yourself any favours with such an extreme comparison. Couldn't you have chosen something a tad more tasteful?
[/quote]

RvLeshrac:

Why is it OK to assign blame in one case, where an individual was wronged, but not OK to assign blame in the other case, where an individual was wronged?

I was not talking about assigning blame. I was trying to say that in this case, the individual was not wronged.

RvLeshrac:

Early adopters are what make the industry move. Without day-1 purchases of hardware and software, the industry loses ridiculous amounts of money.

I'm aware that an industry makes a lot of money on early purchases. We're also both aware that people who adopt early pay more. All I'm trying to say is that this 3DS case shouldn't be looked at any differently simply because the price drop was so high, so soon.

RvLeshrac:

Maybe we'll all finally stop buying products at launch, one day, and then you can whine about how our decision to stop spending money on broken or half-delivered products is hurting the industry.

This part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was merely trying to point out that everyone should be aware of how capitalism tends to work nowadays. I'm normally all for the strict regulation of business but I don't think that there is any huge fault that can be laid at nintendo's feet for this. Everyone buying at launch knew it would be highly priced. They saw it was worth and decided, for whatever reason, that it was totally worth the price they payed for it. I don't think they have a right to start complaining when other people spend less money on it for buying later on, not when that is how these things always worked.

At the end of the day, they were happy to hand over their money for an item. They decided it would be worth that amount. Why is there such a huge problem when the price for it drops over time?

As for whining, I'm not trying to claim I was scammed for something when I knew full well what it was and was not capable of and decided it was worth the early asking price, I'm simply trying to point out that this doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how this constitutes as "whining" or why you take such issue with my comment as to appear - and I apologise if this assessment seems unfair - personally offended by them.

And no-one is talking about anyone's decision to stop buying something, it's people complaining about the purchase they made. If the complaints were valid ones regarding a "half-broken, half-delivered" product, then I might understand. But at present, I'm afraid I don't see any valid reason for this kind of outrage.

InterAirplay:

RvLeshrac:

This is not relevant. This example is in no way similar to the case we're looking at. Not only that, but you're not doing yourself any favours with such an extreme comparison. Couldn't you have chosen something a tad more tasteful?

RvLeshrac:

I was not talking about assigning blame. I was trying to say that in this case, the individual was not wronged.

RvLeshrac:

I'm aware that an industry makes a lot of money on early purchases. We're also both aware that people who adopt early pay more. All I'm trying to say is that this 3DS case shouldn't be looked at any differently simply because the price drop was so high, so soon.

RvLeshrac:

This part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was merely trying to point out that everyone should be aware of how capitalism tends to work nowadays. I'm normally all for the strict regulation of business but I don't think that there is any huge fault that can be laid at nintendo's feet for this. Everyone buying at launch knew it would be highly priced. They saw it was worth and decided, for whatever reason, that it was totally worth the price they payed for it. I don't think they have a right to start complaining when other people spend less money on it for buying later on, not when that is how these things always worked.

At the end of the day, they were happy to hand over their money for an item. They decided it would be worth that amount. Why is there such a huge problem when the price for it drops over time?

As for whining, I'm not trying to claim I was scammed for something when I knew full well what it was and was not capable of and decided it was worth the early asking price, I'm simply trying to point out that this doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how this constitutes as "whining" or why you take such issue with my comment as to appear - and I apologise if this assessment seems unfair - personally offended by them.

And no-one is talking about anyone's decision to stop buying something, it's people complaining about the purchase they made. If the complaints were valid ones regarding a "half-broken, half-delivered" product, then I might understand. But at present, I'm afraid I don't see any valid reason for this kind of outrage.[/quote]

a) Extreme examples seem to be the only ones most people understand. They then take offence to them, but that's hardly *my* problem.

b) The 3DS was half-broken at launch. Advertised features were missing or non-functional.

c) When your point is that the people who FUND EVERY PRODUCT EVER are "getting what's coming to them" by purchasing early, you're implying that they don't *DESERVE* anything better than a partially working product.

d) People are rarely upset when a product drops in price, say, a year after launch. But having a product drop in price almost immediately after the release is a slap in the face. Especially when features missing at launch were *just added*.

I'm still waiting for the special pokemon edition 3DS

I don't know, I didn't particularly find this one funny. I usually laugh even when I disagree, but apologising to people upset that they paid 80 dollars extra kinda...Makes sense.

It's honestly nice to see that Iwata is doing stuff no American executive would willingly do.

But I do object to these milkshakes.

That is... I don't even... I bought the 3DS at launch and even I'm not pissed off about this. People actually complained about the lowered price. I could understand people that bought it at launch being pissed off. But why are so many other people pissed off about it?

Dawkter:

Asuka Soryu:

Dawkter:

I snickered.

nogaems meme 2.0: wii has no gaems

In honesty though, the Wii has the best 1st/2nd party exclusives and is the only system without a subscription model for it's online (although it replaces names with fucking 9001 digit numbers), pay-to-play P2P network (ahem xbox) or add-on bullshit beyond the plastic bats, wheels, or tennis rackets that don't cost much and are for the casuals. Wii Speak doesn't count because it's not bullshit and neither does the Classic Controller for the same reason.

However, the graphics are fail, you'd be missing out on 90 percent of this gen's gems if that was the only system you had, the online system is fucking horrible, shovelware, Wiimote motion/waggle is used as a gimmick in otherwise good games, etc. etc.

Nah, it did have good 1st and 2nd party games.

Now it's got dust with Skyward Sword being the only game of note coming out.

Maybe if you live in Japan, then sure. You can get the Wii games Nintendo won't bring to America. I had a Wii... I got rid of it, because all it did was collect dust.

Mario Kart? I'd rather play it on the older consoles.

Twilight Princess? I got tired of that game. Thank god of OoT 3D. :3

New Mario Bros Wii? I loved/preffere the DS over the Wii version. Wii wasn't as fun.

Metroid Other M? Please, god no. I didn't enjoy that game... it felt good, but the cutcenes with Samus talking were obnoxious. That dumb thing with you needing to find a speck on the screen before she'd do anything...

Best game to me, for the Wii exclusively was Super Mario Galazy and the game that came free with the Wii.
Gotta admit though, I did get more fun from

You had DCK, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Goldeneye, Conduit, Red Steel 2 (1 sucked), Animal Crossing, MadWorld, Bit.Trip, A Boy and His Blob, Dragon Quest X, Contra ReBirth, SSBB, Trauma Team...

DCK - I didn't get that game. Never was a Donkey Kong fan. I won't deny that it's a good game, just not for me.

Zelda? Yeah, 2 Zelda games.

And Mario Galazy 1 and 2 were basicaly the same.

MadWorld? I guess that's... okay.

Conduit? Pfftt... ahaha.
SSBB? Eh, I'd rather the N64 version.

Never heard of Bit.Trip

(How could you not list Kirby's Epic Yarn?)

And in the end, that's all the Wii had really, and that's quite lack luster for how old it is.

Deathfish15:
I work for a phone company and when the price of one of our top-of-the-line phones dropped just after Thanksgiving last year (the phone launched in June, mind you), people had a **** fit. I had to deal with so many people who were totally **** off at me personally because they thought I was "ripping them off" and they demanded a refund for the price difference.

Our society as a whole has devolved (yes, evolution has been proven and we're now in the phase of going backwards). Most people have become self absorbed, selfish jerks who demand that everyone bow and bend to their every will. Companies aren't there to provide an innovative product, oh no, they're there to appease those greedy consumers who think the world revolves around them.

I just don't see the ****ing problem... PRICES going down is a good thing, yes?

WHAT is everyone upset about? Lower prices, means more people can access it, and that means more potential buyers, isn't that it how goes? I'm young, but doesn't a drop in a price mean that it's more easily avaliable?

From what I understand he apologized that it wasn't selling well and they HAD to reduce the price. It was more of an apology to the shareholders again from what I understand.

Lordpils:
From what I understand he apologized that it wasn't selling well and they HAD to reduce the price. It was more of an apology to the shareholders again from what I understand.

Nope, two separate apologies. The latter of which was specifically directed at those annoyed by the price drop.

As an early adopter, the only thing I'm pissed off about is that the GBA games are going to be exclusive. I was hoping to be able to play some Super Circuit with friends who will be taking advantage of the price drop.

I mean there's Mario Kart 7 coming out, but I still love the GBA one.

Anyways, even though I know I would not have bought all the games they are releasing, I would have wanted to buy all of them, so I guess I should thank Nintendo for not allowing me to be stingy, and filling half of the tiles on my 3ds.

Not G. Ivingname:

Grey Carter:
Snip

Well most of the people that are complaining are the people who bought the thing on launch, not knowing it would have a price drop in 6 months. It is like the people who bought TF2 the month, week, or day before it went free, they would of held out if they knew it would be cheaper.

The fact that it had a price drop in 6 months is irrelevant. If it had a price drop the day after it'd be irrelevant. If it had a price drop 6 frickin seconds after you left the store it'd be irrelevant. Bad luck, but as a consumer you have no right to get mad. You should pay as much as you feel it's worth, and wait 'till the price drops accordingly.

I wasn't mad when tf2 was free at all, it was already fantastic value when I bought it, and it just brought new players. There was the hacker issue, but the fact that it went free didn't annoy me in the slightest. I guess it's one of those human irrationalities I've somehow managed to avoid. Also, you couldn't have bought tf2 the day before it went free, vale already had a 'free week' in place before the update was announced so people wouldn't rush to buy it. It was actually damn decent of them, they could have squeezed a few more sales out but they didn't.

Didn't they apologize because making the price so lower was basically admitting that it didn't sell well and was therefore a failure?

Captain Obvious here, my job is done today!

Lol at the baby being thrown on to the stage....

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here