Escapist Podcast: 012: Mojang's Scrolls, Hats-for-Games & Battlefield 3

Pages PREV 1 2

On Origin - I don't really care about most of the games EA releases, and I care even less on them for the PC. Until they release something I REALLY want, I'll pass.

On movies - Ladyhawk(or Ladyhawke, I can't remember) is a rather interesting movie. As for current movies, X-Men first class, Captain America, and the new Planet of the Apes movie. Of course, I would need time off to do that. I'd need time off, and a movie theater that would play it nearby.

At least you can still get some space flight off GOG.com.

I still have an original copy of Star Wars where instead of saying Leia, he says Carrie. I don't remember the exact scene, but I do remember hearing it after watching it after it was "fixed".

Slycne:
Also I stand a bit corrected, it looks like WoW hasn't lately been on top of the current best sellers PC market, at least according to Amazon.

So um, you didn't like the walking around in the woods in Harry Potter? You must hate Lord of the Rings then? Cause you know lord of the rings is nothing but walking in lord of the rings.

bdcjacko:

Slycne:
Also I stand a bit corrected, it looks like WoW hasn't lately been on top of the current best sellers PC market, at least according to Amazon.

So um, you didn't like the walking around in the woods in Harry Potter? You must hate Lord of the Rings then?

It wasn't just them walking around the woods, it was the pacing and editing of it all. Even the most mundane of subjects can be shot and edited in interesting ways, but that whole sequence just dragged. I genuinely enjoyed the film Moon, which comparatively has far less "going on", but it was still enjoyable to watch.

I think they were faced with having too much to cram into one movie and then they needed to find a logically climatic point to end on. So they padded for time in the forest. Dealthy Hallows Part 1 comes in around 1hr 46min and most of the Harry Potter films hit around that mark, but I have never been that bored with any other film in that series.

Slycne:

bdcjacko:

Slycne:

So um, you didn't like the walking around in the woods in Harry Potter? You must hate Lord of the Rings then?

It wasn't just them walking around the woods, it was the pacing and editing of it all. Even the most mundane of subjects can be shot and edited in interesting ways, but that whole sequence just dragged. I genuinely enjoyed the film Moon, which comparatively has far less "going on", but it was still enjoyable to watch.

I think they were faced with having too much to cram into one movie and then they needed to find a logically climatic point to end on. So they padded for time in the forest. Deathly Hallows Part 1 comes in around 1hr 46min and most of the Harry Potter films hit around that mark, but I have never been that bored with any other film in that series.

Looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree. I didn't mind the pacing back and forth in the woods, and kind of almost thought they made it too short, I was expecting more. I think they managed to pull off the feeling that Harry and pals had no friggin' idea of what to do next, and they had no real way of connecting to the outside world. But I wanted to see them going for longer and just being more anxious. I recall the book being longer.

Now in fairness, LotR is really cut down the wandering through the forest and plains and forest and swamps and and forest caves and forest, even in the extend versions. But really when you have 3 tomes of forest wandering, you have to cut it out for a movie.

Orleans (Orléans) is a region in France. New Orleans (Nouvelle-Orléans) was founded as part of Nouvelle-France (french colony in America). Marais means swamp in english.

JuliusMagnus:
The Elder Scrolls vs Scrolls: I think they might not demand that the name is changed, but to make sure Mojang's Scrolls isn't going to be used in the same way one-word trademarks can be used against longer trademarks with a partial same-name (Like Langdell's Edge being used to make claims about Mirror's Edge). Although I don't know if agreements like "you can use it but promiss to not use it against us" can be made. It might be that such a deal is tantamount to abandoning your trademark, in sunch a case law forces them to make harder demands.

Some people see the steps by Zenimax as similar to Langdell's. In actuality they might want to just prevent what Langdell tried to do to other companies from happening to themselves. Notch is not Landell, but Notch doesn't own the Scrolls trademark, his company Mojang does. He can sell the company and a future owner might try a Langdell. It's a better safe now than sorry later situation. With all the trademark and patent litigation taking place it's a sad reality.

That... actually makes a lot of sense.

Huh.

There's still people who don't like Steam on the very basis of what it is.

Yup, don't.

There are people who don't like cake, too.

Now that is stretching it a bit comparing a software designed to take consumer rights from you with a delicious dessert. Steam does not f*** you as hard as SecuROM does but it still does f*** you quite comprehensively by denying you the right to resell your games.

SensibleCrout:

There's still people who don't like Steam on the very basis of what it is.

Yup, don't.

There are people who don't like cake, too.

Now that is stretching it a bit comparing a software designed to take consumer rights from you with a delicious dessert. Steam does not f*** you as hard as SecuROM does but it still does f*** you quite comprehensively by denying you the right to resell your games.

One could argue that cake make you fat because it's full of fat and sugar, so it's not good to eat it. Cake is evil because it's bad for your health ;P

No podcast this week? With all the new topics to discuss? I was looking forward to hearing your take in the current EA vs. Activision pissing contest (personally, I favor EA in all this).

Hell, if people are busy and can't do the podcast, just have Steve sit down and say more soundbites like "initiate symbiotic titan". I'm still waiting for that to pop up somewhere.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here